SM LC Northern Lights (Peak #1, 92 GXE)

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor

Northern Lights
Introduction:
Hi, I am Serene's Grace as you may have seen me frequenting the LC chatroom. I am a UU and RU main but decided to take a shot at LC while waiting for the lower tiers to develop. One thing that immediately stuck out to me was the more fast paced meta. Stall is basically non existant and Knock off and Eviolite are everywhere. One thing I noticed while theorymonning is how broken Alolan-Vulpix is. I've detailed it in this post , but basically 8 turns of Aurora Veil is literally gamebreaking. It allows set up sweepers ample space to just win. As such,this team is a mindless offensive team based around Vulpix-Alola+Set up spam. The gameplan is literally just​
  • Get rocks up​
  • Get screens up​
  • Sweep​
I am not exaggerating when I say this is literally how easy it is. I feel my ladder rank is a testament to how easy it is to use. I am far from a good player but the team just makes it as simple as pie.(#1 is me)​
2017-01-20_1954.png
Teambuilding Process:

The best support Pokemon in the tier in my humble opinion, and is what the team is based around.

I then picked a volatile shell smasher with great natural bulk in Shellder and then a more high risk high reward sweeper in Zigzagoon. Both just win when the set up with veils.

At this point I knew i would need a fighting check, but didn't want to go with slow and slightly passive stuff like a Spritzee or Snubbul. I added another set up sweeper who checks fighting types and is arguable the best Pokemon in the tier.

I think Onix is the best rocker in the tier, and it fits the team perfectly as a fast electric immunity and rock resist.

I needed some speed control on the team while also needing something that resembles a staryu check. Scarf frillish enters the fold as what I initially thought to be a gimmick, but actually fits quite well.

The Team:

Vulpix-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 5
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Freeze-Dry
Role: Utility
The beauty herself: Vulpix-Alola's primary task is to set Aurora Veil and then the user's job is to either sack her or generate a free switch in a different manner. Vulpix-A is no slouch offensively either, STAB Blizzards hurt a lot to unresisted targets. Hidden Power fighting is for Pawniard although Moonblast is viable for stuff like Scraggy. Freeze-dry rounds off the coverage by hits water types like Staryu and Chinchou. The given ev spread is just max spatk max speed.

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Lax Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
Role: Sweeper
Shellder is a dangerous sweeper whose shell smash antics put a lot of teams on edge and can turn a game around with 1 turn. It can already use its high bulk to obtain set up opportunities, but with veils it sets up on literally any physical move and non super effective special moves. Rock Blast hits water types, Icicle Crash is the attack of choice in most cases because of its power and 100% accuracy. With the absence of Fletchling, Shellder can afford to run razor shell to OHKO Magnemite and Pawniard.
156 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. -1 36 HP / 36+ Def Eviolite Shellder through Reflect: 3-5 (15 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
196+ Atk Grimer Gunk Shot vs. 36 HP / 36+ Def Eviolite Shellder through Reflect: 4-6 (20 - 30%) -- 52.3% chance to 4HKO
as examples of its ability to avoid revenge killing as well and set up skills respectively.

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Seed Bomb
Zigzagoon is a lot more boom or bust than its buddy Shellder. Traditionally, Zigzagoon's horrendous defensive typing means that setting it up is an art form if you don't have memento support. Under Veils, Ziggy can find set up opportunities from almost anywhere. Hell, it even sets up on Mienfoo.
Moves and Evs are standard from analysis. An interesting thing to note is that both Zigzagoon and Shellder struggle with steel types. But because they share checks, one can be used to weaken the check while the other takes advantage and sweeps.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 236 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
Vullaby is yet another sweeper who contributes to the barrage. Vullaby is different from the other two as it is not a "Free switch and win" type of sweeper. I use Vullaby to pivot into threats to take advantage of Weak Armour. Vullaby is a kind of catch all to various threats and is hence not as one dimensional as the former 2. The Evs are standard for Nasty Plot Vullaby, hitting 14 speed. I did contemplate running a 13 speed variant for some bulk on a team which is lacking bulk, but I didn't want to lose to scarf Dodou.(although I'm not sure how relevant it is) I'm using Heat wave as opposed to HP Fighting for the OHKO on Magnemite; Only doing 80 and it BJing is annoying for my team.

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
Role: Lead
Onix is probably my favorite stealth rocker in the tier and for good reason too. It's extremely fast which in conjunction with taunt makes it have a good matchup versus other common leads like Dwebble. It also service as a volt switch deterrent, which is always valuable as it helps deter Volt Switch which would otherwise steal momentum against a team that relies on momentum to win. Being a flying resist is also gorgeous as otherwise something like Scarf Rufflet would just win. Once again, standard Evs and moves.

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
Role: Revenge Killer
Scarf Frillish was born out of neccesity for the team, but it has suprised me in a very good way. It's able to check fast pokemon like Ponyta and Staryu which would otherwise plague the team. It's also a decent spin blocker as it keeps rocks up to prevent sweeps being cut short by sashes and sturdys. It also allows me to revenge kill Gastly, or at the very least force it out. Water Spout hits insanely hard, even with only a scarf. In fact, it 2hkoes BJ Chinchou, which is very cute because that would otherwise check Shellder. Removing its Berry Juice means its no longer a Shellder check which is very nice. Evs are standard max spatk max speed, hitting 14 speed. Frillish is spoiled for choice when it comes to movesets. This is what I found preferable but options like Ice beam,Trick,Psychic,etc can be swapped out for any of the moves. Only Water Spout is mandatory. Using Frillish can be easy yet tricky at the same time. You will have to decide, do you want to break things early on? (For example, if you suspect their Chinchou is a BJ variant) Or do you want to let Shellder and Co. do the dirty work while Frillish cleans up in the end?

Threatlist:
As funny as it sounds, Scarf Pikipek is a major threat to the team as my flying resist is ohked through Bullet Seed. This problem highlights the overarching flaw of the lack of speed. Overall though, the lack of speed can be mitigated by playing aggressively and setting up before they have a chance to make the speed advantage count. Speed issues are ultimately able to be played around.

Replays: found on alts
Dewpider Blue and A is for Avril

Conclusion:
This is a very offensively oriented team and has to be played as such. Don't be afraid to sack things if need be. Your one and only goal should be to find a way to get screens up. Once that's done, the game is just a master of cold execution. The team can not afford to let the match get drawn out as Vullaby can only do so much before getting overloaded.

And if you didn't get it: Northern Lights = Aurora Borealis = Aurora Veil
i think i have like max 5 tags with no badge
Dundies Plasmagby EviGaro TheWall parivard
thanks for all the help and belief in the borkness of A-Vulpix

Vulpix-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Freeze-Dry

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Lax Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Seed Bomb

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 236 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Hey, pretty cool team you have there, pretty fun stuff. One thing that I noticed is that Brick Break Pawniard and Psychic Fangs Carvahna roll all over this team due to their ability to break the Aurora Veil. I would replace Zigzagoon with Timburr which gives you a check to these two mons. In addition, it gives your team Knock Off support which allows you to deal with bulky Pokemon such as Spritzee which would otherwise annoy this team greatly. I find that Zigzagoon tends to be quite bad outside of a team built around it with Diglett and memento support, even with Aurora Veil. I put Poison Jab over Ice Punch to help with your Fairy-type matchup and to lure in Cottonee which can otherwise just encore all your set up mons.
Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist / Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Additionally, I would change Razor Shell to Hydro Pump. This is to deal with Mudbray, which otherwise can straight up wall Shellder if played correctly.
Hope this rate helped!

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello sam-testings, Thank you for rating my team! After looking at your rate I have decided to change Shellder to a Hydro Pump variant and have adjusted the EV spread accordingly. However, I did not apply the Timburr change. While on paper, Timburr covers a lot of weakenesses, in practice it makes it a slower and less volatile compared to Zigzagoon. It does not abuse the Veils as much as Zigzagoon does and quite frankly makes the team less dangerous (and a lot less fun to use) than it is. With this type of hyper offense, I feel it is ok to trade off perceived flaws on paper in exchange for momentum and pressure, which Zigzagoon does. Once again thank you for the rate n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)