Resource NU Old Gens Hub (archaic, currently being transferred)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey dudes, first of all I just wanted to say I'm going to be updating the resources in this thread 1) because we kind of let it die for a bit and 2) we'll be adding in oras resources as our sm forum should be coming in may.

Second, I just wanted to share a few ADV NU teams I've built over the past week or so as I've been really invested in the tier lately. I'd like it if more people got involved, so I'm probably going to devote some time to developing more resources for it like a role compendium, speed tier list, sample sets, etc. A lot of these nu old gens still have a ton of stuff to explore and play around with, ORAS included, so I'd love to see more interest stoked in this thread.

Abra @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Encore
- Psychic
- Fire Punch

Castform @ Leftovers
Ability: Forecast
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hail
- Blizzard
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Whiscash @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Recover

Golbat @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Aerial Ace
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sub Encore Abra is a dope lead because it beats a lot of the common Anti-Glalie leads, like Venomoth and Hitmonchan, and at least puts a lot of pressure on other common leads, like Torkoal and Glalie. Hail Castform is the main thing I wanted to build with, though, because I think it's really anti-meta. Being able to check SunnyBeamers, Huntail, and be a strong wallbreaker that sports really nice coverage for its tier sounds awesome on paper. The double water core in bulky Whiscash + Peli checks a ton of the meta while being able to break down one another's checks. Abusing Sableye was a given, I feel, because I desperately needed a normal, fighting, and psychic resist like just about every ADV NU team. Golbat rounded out the team well with some more offensive presence, a secondary SunnyBeamer check outside of Castform (so you can avoid Bellossom gaining a lot of momentum off of you with Sleep Powder), and a secondary Hitmonchan check because Bulk Up Hitmonchan is absurd.

I think I could do better with Sableye's EV's and I think there's also a case to be made about changing Golbat's set to a lefties set, but I haven't tested the team enough to make any calls like that.

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf
- Substitute

Huntail @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rain Dance

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Seismic Toss
- Recover
- Toxic

Gloom @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Relicanth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Huntail + Pika is a broken core considering how frequently teams use Roselia as a means of stopping one or the other. SpDef Sable was a good choice for keeping Chime and Abra in check while CB Hitmonchan does its broken business while still providing a needed normal check. Gloom was something I discovered while making this team that soft checks SunnyBeamers and safely switches in against any Hitmonchan set, which is a rare feat to accomplish. Finally, I have no idea why I have relicanth on this team. Bird check maybe? I should probably replace this because the team is pretty weak to SunnyBeamers, even with Gloom.

Plusle @ Leftovers
Ability: Plus
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Agility

Huntail @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Rain Dance

Roselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Stun Spore
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Graveler @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Explosion

Chimecho @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Heal Bell

Metang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Agility

The idea behind this team was that passing a sub or agility to huntail safely was broken, so I just added a bunch of shit around that core to make it work. Metang + Chime make a great Anti-Psychic core and Metang does a great job at luring bulky waters for late game huntail. Rose is important defensive utility so that the team doesn't autolose to Pika, SunnyBeamers, and opposing Huntail. Cb Gravel is a sturdy normal check and great wallbreaker.

I think a better change for this team would be Bulky Whiscash > Graveler as it beats a ton of normals as is, dramatically helps in the matchup against Pupitar, and helps rose in coping with Pika + Huntail matchup.

I also have some other builds I'm experimenting with, but I figured three recent-ish teams would be fine to whet people's appetites lol. The tier is fun and actually fairly easy to get into once you get used to what mons are actually on the list and what everything does. I'm not perfect, but I think I've come a pretty decent way into gaining experience in a week if that helps anyone feel better about trying it. I'm also always down for test games and discussing the meta if you ever feel like there's no one to try stuff out with while you're getting into it.

I'm going to get invested in other NU Old Gens as months go by, so hopefully I can do most of the heavy lifting in breathing some life back into these tiers. I would love to see more than just current gen nu being played around with so that there's always something we can enjoy as a community :)

Disjunction

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tagging Disjunction who is apparently the one who edited the posts on the first page.

In DPP NU, Snover and Hippopotas are banned. The first page should be edited to reflect this; the Hail team and the Sand team in the first post should be removed, and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-old-gens-hub.3562659/#post-6634823 this post should add Snover and Hippopotas to the banlist section.
Yeah I've been slowly going through stuff on and off today so all the materials are basically WIPs. I appreciate the heads up.

If anyone else notices anything wrong, please send me a vm or something and I'll get to it.

Disjunction

ok hi, just as a progress report of what I'm doing,
  • I have removed all of the gen-specific information about items and whatever random mechanics I had included there. I think most of that stuff is better learned through playing than chronicling it in this thread because there is probably too much to consider when listing that kind of stuff.
  • I have removed the viability rankings and instead provided links to each of their ROA counter-parts. This still allows for ease of access from our forum, but it keeps those users that are still involved in these tiers (but are not involved in this thread) in the loop. Plus it's much more difficult navigating this thread when everyone is talking about random vr updates.
  • I've included speed tiers. ORAS/BW already had pre-existing resources for this, but myself and watchog made a small speed tier list about a week ago to compliment the thread. It still needs work (I should include offensive threats with agility pass boosts and I could probably afford to be more liberal with including mons with uncommon natures/spreads) but it will be useful in the form that it is in now.
    • The only thing we're missing for speed tiers is DPP NU which I am not versed in, so I would be uncomfortable with making a speed tier list for that. If anyone who is experienced in dpp nu wanted to do up a nice basic list as a charity for this project, I would be very grateful!
  • The last thing I wanted to include that hasn't been done yet was a little compendium of common sets for ADV NU mons to supplement the lack of dex-implementation for the tier. These wouldn't be analyses or anything, but they'd be a useful resource for anyone getting into the tier that don't know what to run.
    • DPP NU technically doesn't have dex support either, but common sets for common mons populate the UU tag on the dex, so I didn't feel there was a big need to do the same for it. Regardless, if anyone feels the need to donate a resource like this, we have the room for it and I would not turn it down.
  • Oh and I just remembered I've been slowly going through replays of high-quality matches of these tiers and including them in hide tags in the op. I think I've gone through all of the games from the past NUPL for DPP and ADV NU. This is almost done (gotta go through nu classic replays and oras/bw replays) and I hopefully won't forget to do it.
  • Sample teams also look better!
That's all. I'm open to any other ideas on what to include as resources as well. Stuff like role compendiums could be cool down the line provided people want to continually build for these tiers. I know this isn't exactly a commonly used resource, but I think it has a lot of potential to do good so I want to make sure it can reach that potential.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DPP NU speed tiers are on-site. http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/nu_speed_tiers

Oglemi and I are also (very slowly, because we're old) working through analyses for DPP NU in http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/dpp-analyses.136/. I believe Medicham, Hitmonchan, and Vileplume are the only ones on-site so far, but more will come someday.

There's also some good resources in http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-nu-general-discussion.3583742/ including some replays and sample teams that I don't think are listed in the OP.

Disjunction

The fact this exists probably moved me more on an emotional level than I'm prepared to admit. Like probably the equivalent of my girlfriend saying that she's going to pick where we're going to dinner for the first time in her life. Thanks for the heads up lol

Whenever more dpp analyses get done I can link the dpp nu section of the dex in the op as well for ease of access. I'll probably do that to go along with the up coming adv nu sets too.

e: just implemented the speed tiers and relevant dex links. once I get the replays and adv sets implemented we should be up to date here :)

e2: ajb and I started through the process of making the adv sets compendium. if any avid adv nu players wanted to sift through what we have rn and make comments I would be forever grateful

Last edited:

Disjunction

ok what's up dudes. been a while since I touched this, but I finally finished everything I wanted to do. ik everyone's hyped up about sm nu, but I want this thread in tip top order for nupl coming up, so watch out for everything going down.

I "finished" the adv sets compendium in this post but I know I missed relevant stuff. I was the only one qc'ing my stuff, so I'd appreciate anyone passing by that is adv nu literate to let me know about any Pokemon or sets that are important to add.

Replays, speed tiers, and links should all be up to date as well. Let me know if any of you guys find any errors and I'll be right on it!

ok what's up dudes. been a while since I touched this, but I finally finished everything I wanted to do. ik everyone's hyped up about sm nu, but I want this thread in tip top order for nupl coming up, so watch out for everything going down.

I "finished" the adv sets compendium in this post but I know I missed relevant stuff. I was the only one qc'ing my stuff, so I'd appreciate anyone passing by that is adv nu literate to let me know about any Pokemon or sets that are important to add.

Replays, speed tiers, and links should all be up to date as well. Let me know if any of you guys find any errors and I'll be right on it!
Tagging Disjunction who is apparently the one who edited the posts on the first page.

In DPP NU, Snover and Hippopotas are banned. The first page should be edited to reflect this; the Hail team and the Sand team in the first post should be removed, and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-old-gens-hub.3562659/#post-6634823 this post should add Snover and Hippopotas to the banlist section.
You still haven't removed the Hail team and the Sand team in the first post.

Disj edit: oh ya lol did this

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! I just wanted to let someone know that, in my building for these old gens, I've been using a lot of the ADV set resources. It's really useful, but a lot of the sets seem to have gone with the PS! default which create some situations where physical Hidden Power Pokemon still have -defense nature and 4 special attack evs. This isn't a huge issue as long as you keep a lookout for these scenarios, but probably could be fixed. Example:
Hitmonchan (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Disjunction

Hi! I just wanted to let someone know that, in my building for these old gens, I've been using a lot of the ADV set resources. It's really useful, but a lot of the sets seem to have gone with the PS! default which create some situations where physical Hidden Power Pokemon still have -defense nature and 4 special attack evs. This isn't a huge issue as long as you keep a lookout for these scenarios, but probably could be fixed. Example:
Hitmonchan (M) @ Choice Band
Lonely Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
Thanks for the catch. We did a bunch of these all at once so there are bound to be errors. Once I get the time I'll make some more additions and edits to the resource cause I use it a fair bit too. If you catch anything else lmk

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This is probably my best all-around team I made this year, and probably the easiest to pick up for newcomers, is one that focuses on a very dangerous threat in SubLiechi Raticate (with correct HP EVs even!). Venomoth is a great lead for offensive teams, as sleep is pretty killer in NU. This team doesn't feature a Huntail counter, but it doesn't set up for free on anything on this team, and TrickBand Kecleon is a very solid check to it, and other weather sweepers in general. Reflect support Chimecho is super hard to break and protects Raticate from Mach Punch from Chan if needed. Equake on Chan can be replaced with Toxic to cripple Sableye. Chime + Reli + Kec is a classic defensive core that still covers a huge swath of threats in the tier pretty handily.

Venomoth @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Kecleon @ Choice Band
Ability: Color Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Punch
- Trick

Hitmonchan @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sky Uppercut
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake

Raticate @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Reversal
- Return

Chimecho @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Psychic

Relicanth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Protect

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I made this for our team but it didn't end up getting used. It's a build I've seen before, especially from Hantsuki, but I added a few techs and modified some EV spreads. If you're used to playing stall, it's pretty easy to use.

Water Pulse Sableye is random tech in its 4th slot since Rest Talk Magcargo and DD Pupitar can give the team issues if you get into trouble. Pikachu is one of the bigger threats to the team (thankfully Hitmonchan's Mach Punch does a billion, so if you get spikes up, you'll be fine), but otherwise, it handles most anything else. Iron Defense Pass on Mawile isn't really necessary, but it's better for this team than SD Pass or anything else I could think of in the slot really. I so rarely use Brick Break... maybe unprotected Focus Punch?

One of this team's main advantages over Cowboy Dan's stall that's in the OP (which is good, not hating!) is that it only has 1 pokemon particularly weak to Diglett, in Mawile, while his has 2, between Mawile and Flareon. His also lacks Mach Punch on Hitmonchan, nor Encore or Phazing, which means he really, really has to outstall everything and never has a revenge option or way to force a sweeper out. This team is a bit more flexible in its goals and is less likely to be dismantled by a particularly bad matchup from someone who expects you to stall.

Hitmonchan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Mach Punch

Roselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 180 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Aromatherapy
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Toxic
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense

Dewgong @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Encore
- Rest

Sableye @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Recover
- Toxic
- Water Pulse

Togetic @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
Well I just got eliminated in ADV cup so I might as well share some of my teams that I used to pretty good success for the first round and outside of the tour.

ADV NU is my favorite tier and im generally pretty good at it so here goes nothin

Glalie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Pupitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Golbat @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Plusle @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Flareon @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 146 HP / 252 Atk / 112 SpA
Brave Nature
- Body Slam
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Quick Attack

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Brick Break

This is one of my first NU teams and its pretty solid except for what turned out to be my downfall in the lack of a water resist. Gallie is a common lead thats fast and can set spikes, Pupitar is one of the main parts of this team and at +1 OHKOs a huge part of the tier as well as outspeeding a lot of stuff. Choice Band Golbat is something that can generally switch into Hitmonchan pretty well with the exception of rock slide which kinda sucks but often is unexpected. Giga drain is random tech to avoid getting setup on by opposing Pupitars. Choice Band Flareon hits like a truck and Mawile is a really solid normal/flying check with intimidate that can function as a pivot.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Destiny Bond

Pidgeot @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quick Attack

Raticate @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Guts
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Frustration
- Shadow Ball

Graveler @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Slide

Seadra @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

Chimecho @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
This team is a normal-spam team thats one of my best team. Cacturne is my lead spiker and primary water-type check. Destiny bond is really nice too. Pidgeot is a fast powerful bird that can break through tons of non-resists. Raticate is the other half of the normal-type core and can effectively sweep as one of the fastest unboosted Pokemon in the tier. CB Graveler is to help break through steel-types and be a general wallbreaker. Seadra is another water resist and also the fastest unboosted water type in the tier. Chimecho is my Hitmonchan check as the most reliable check to it.

Abra @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- Psychic
- Fire Punch

Anorith @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Swords Dance

Plusle @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Agility

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Naughty Nature
- Return
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Surf

Hitmonchan @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Whiscash @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
This team is pretty wild and I screwed it up during my battle due to an unfortunate HP grass by W3K on whiscash and poor damage anticipation. Anorith is quite a cool mon in this meta as it is one of the most powerful bug types in the tier. Substitute Encore Abra is a cool lead because it beats a lot of the common Anti-Glalie leads as Disjunction stated, stole this set from him. Whiscash is a great bulky water/ground type with its sole weakness, and Sub-bulk up chan is a great machine that we all know how powerful it can be. CB Crawdaunt is another great mixed wallbreaker similar to CB Flareon that is hard to predict. Sub Agility Pluse can support a lot of the slower mons like Crawdaunt, Hitmonchan, and Anorith (which if it gets off a SD its unstoppable)

I'm still gonna be playing this tier after the cup so hit me up if you ever wanna play!

Last edited:
Here is my favorite DPP NU team which have worked pretty well so far against some friends, despite not being very well built.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heal Bell
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Dark Pulse
- Explosion

Tauros @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Drifblim @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

The team is centered around Drifblim, which is in my opinion the most fun and interesting Pokemon in the tier. Just like almost any Dark-type weak Pokemon in NU, its main fear is Skuntank. I included Shiftry since Skuntank will most likely switch on it and either take a ton of damage or die alongside it, and Shiftry is one of the few reliable Mixed Wallbreaker in the tier and will do some very solid damages to the like of Cradily which are big annoyances as well. Sandslash was added since getting rid of stealth rocks will help Drifblim's set up a lot, and it give me a potential switch in on Electrics like Manectric. With a spinner, I decided to use Scarf Typhlosion as my revenge killer and another potential late game sweeper since my teams pressures specials walls a lot. I overlooked the problem of Drifblim being offensively pressured by fast threats before using Rest, and these ones are special attackers for the most part. So I put Grumpig which is a really splashable mon and one of the best answers to the Fire spam. Finally, I just put Tauros, known as the ultimate filler, and its Pursuit is really useful.

thought I might drop some teams I used in back to the future, so here goes

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power Ghost
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

Graveler @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Explosion

Roselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 20 Def
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Synthesis

Huntail @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

Sableye @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Recover

Flareon @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Graveler + Roselia is mostly going to be your generic balanced core with decent defensive synergy with Graveler being an insane wallbreaker that can get a relatively free switch into a majority of the Normal, Flying and Fire-types that scare Roselia out, and rose can come in on a handful of special attackers like Huntail/hp grass Plusle/Haunter etc etc while setting spikes. Hitmon is going to be standard here that gives the team a check to annoying Normal, Steel, and Rock-types, a Glaile anti-lead, and its mach punch is just going to be useful considering how the rest of the team is really weak to DD Pupitar. Huntail is a natural fit that gives the team a cleaner to complement the breaking/spikes/ and the pressure the team puts on Pokemon that annoy huntail like Plusle/ opposing Roselia etc. Finally I threw in the Sableye + Flareon duo that gives you an answer to 3/4s of the meta, and dangerous pokemon in general like opposing Hitmonchan/Chimeco/sunnybeamers/Offensive normals and the like.

Tauros @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Return

Vileplume @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

I wanted to build around sunny plume which actually does cool things in this format like outspeeding the entire unboosted meta under sun while being powerful enough to 2HKO resists like Skunktank and Magneton, and potentially crippling a check/counter with sleep powder which ensures that even if its in a subpar matchup it'll still be able to annoy something. Regirock is a standard partner for plume that gives you answer to the relevant Fire-types and rocks which allows plume to do crazy things like killing opposing Typhlosion with the hazard factor. Tauros + scarf Tyhplosion punish each other's switch ins with bull being an offensive anti-lead to random shit like jynx and zard and Typlosion exploiting a lot of Vileplumes standard answers and potentially try to pull of a sun sweep, picking up where plume left off. At this point miscellaneous Psychic-types like Scarf Gardevoir which can revenge plume under sun and the fat ones in Grumpig and Hypno which can sit against typh seemed problematic so I threw in Skunktank which can come in for free against psychic/ghosts a majority of the time and reliably remove them. Hitmonchan fills the slot, being a spinner since sandslash doesnt fit in here.

Volbeat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Thunder Wave

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Seismitoad @ Ice Gem
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Gorebyss @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Toxic

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

This team was originally centered around shell smash Gorebyss but eventually turned into full fledged rain. Gorebyss can pick up a shell smash surprisingly easier then its natural bulk would suggest, abusing passive shit like Alomomola and blowing through standard water resists with +2 Life Orb rain-boosted surfs, and along with a cool tech in Ice Gem toad your going to aim to remove roadblocks that prevent you from spamming Water-stab in rain and winning (Although admittedly this can also be accomplished with something like swift swim Mantine if you so desire). Regirock and defensive plume on rain ho is not optimal but not auto-losing to Kangaskan and offensive birds as well as give you a rocks and a check to miscellaneous pokemon like CM Serperior and SD Samurott (which can be troublesome if you cant get ludicolo in safely) is mostly worth it so yn.

Overall, past gens are fun and you can buzz me if you want to play, just ban Haunter in all gens smh

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
The player base of GSC OU, if there is one at all, is extremely small, and don't want to come out and bring up the idea of creating analysis' for the Pokemon. The players that are well known in NU have minuscule experience in GSC NU because it has no ladder, and is not in NUPL. The earliest played NU tier is adv, so GSC is kind of left out. However, if you do have any questions about the tier at all, don't be afraid to ask on the Discord or the Showdown! room as some of us would be happy to help you out if we're knowledgeable.

edit: There's also some resources in this thread with some sample teams, so maybe you could get some sets you need from there tool :)!

The player base of GSC OU, if there is one at all, is extremely small, and don't want to come out and bring up the idea of creating analysis' for the Pokemon. The players that are well known in NU have minuscule experience in GSC NU because it has no ladder, and is not in NUPL. The earliest played NU tier is adv, so GSC is kind of left out. However, if you do have any questions about the tier at all, don't be afraid to ask on the Discord or the Showdown! room as some of us would be happy to help you out if we're knowledgeable.

edit: There's also some resources in this thread with some sample teams, so maybe you could get some sets you need from there tool :)!
Since then, the tier has been created :) (it must coincide probably with the reflection of a PU format in GSC)

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
This possibility was brought up in earlier PR threads about Sand Veil in OU. The consensus was that OU bans would not necessarily affect lower tiers. I see no reason to change that now.
It's currently a work in progress but transitivity is being restored throughout old gens, things are changing now so that we can simplify tiering and eliminate any arbitrary loopholes in the system.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Reinstating transitivity doesn't make any sense for metagames that are no longer connected via usage (even less so when transitivity is no longer even a thing in current gens).

Consistency also doesn't have a lot of merit when these metagames are played as infrequently as they are.

Also what Bughouse said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)