Official Smogon University Gen VI Simulator Statistics — October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
4/0 Heatran isn't 2HKOed by Adamant CB Brave Bird after SR (max HP Heatran just fucking laughs at Talonflame) and 252 Timid Fire Blast will 2HKO after recoil.

If your Heatran loses to Talonflame you are running a shitty Heatran. You don't need a Rock move to check Talonflame.

a much better use of your slot then a rock move would be to give heatran roar so it has utility outside of just talonflame. This crushes talonflame in particular due to its 4x weakness to SR, so it hates to get phased

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd just opt for the Rock move so that they can't endgame Roost or some other bullshit.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I suppose it might be more accurate to say that Heatran cannot counter Talonflame without a Rock move, but it checks Talonflame perfectly fine without one. I used Stone Edge Heatran on a team in BW to get rid of Volcarona once; it probably isn't much different - SE Heatran countered Volc, other variants checked it.

Wait, so can someone just straighten this out for me, since it's still a little confusing. If a Mega Form is deemed too powerful and will get banned, instead of banning the Mega Stone itself and just making a "Mega Stone Clause" style rule in effect, the Council will just ban the WHOLE pokemon? Like, instead of banning Gengarite, ban the entirety of Gengar in general, or the entirety of Lucario in general if Mega Lucario is also deemed too powerful?

Rhodes Scholar I don't think a decision has been made. I personally would favor banning the stone.

Edit: Indeed, I have it on good authority that stones will be made suspect where appropriate.

Last edited:
Wait, so can someone just straighten this out for me, since it's still a little confusing. If a Mega Form is deemed too powerful and will get banned, instead of banning the Mega Stone itself and just making a "Mega Stone Clause" style rule in effect, the Council will just ban the WHOLE pokemon? Like, instead of banning Gengarite, ban the entirety of Gengar in general, or the entirety of Lucario in general if Mega Lucario is also deemed too powerful?
This has been discussed a few times, and the Council members who participated in the discussion seemed quite certain that they'd ban just the Mega Stone. So if Mega Gengar is broken but regular Gengar is not, Gengarite will be banned. Who knows if that's been finalized, but I can't imagine what could happen to make them go with any other method.

If you're asking because of Blaziken, note that it's a bit of a different situation, where the two forms are very similar and both potentially broken.

It is really a shame to see Mandibuzz so low in usage... Despite the addition of Fairy type, he is a very good counter to aegislash and to other annoying Psychic types, such Alakazam and Espeon,

Aegislash is number one, no suprise there but seriously I was about to freak out when I saw how little usage mega kang got then I remembered that this was when tiers were out for a week so everybody didn't have time to realize how much of a beast mega kang is.

Talonflame is surprisingly easy to counter. Anything 2x weak to fire will essentially OHKO the thing. Ferrothorn brings out T-flame because it fears SR and is 2x weak to fire, which means you can bring out T-flame easily, and switch into your t-flame counter (I run Gliscor w/ Stone Edge in pre-bank, it works amazingly well).

MegaGengar is kinda broken, but I feel that MegaAbsol will check any set that doesn't run sub, as its not weak to ghost. MegaKhan you can play around, but it's broken.

I don't think, I've seen any M-Gengar that doesn't run Sub. It's a big part of the reason that's it's so hard to deal with.

And yeah, M-Khan is disgustingly powerful - especially in Pokébank, where it has access to Fire Punch and Body Slam (oh god the horror), which whittles down the list of counters such as Skarmory even further. You could send in a scarfed Fighting-type or a Mach Puncher and play mind games with ghosts like Jellicent, but that's all.

| 1 | Aegislash | 38.33802% | 111327 | 35.780% | 86226 | 35.268% |
Honestly I'm expecting this guy to fall anytime, while powerful, is predictable as hell, not to mention almost everybody and their mother carries a mon with Earthquake and King's Shield you can see it coming from a mile away.

| 2 | Greninja | 28.54731% | 83383 | 26.799% | 65873 | 26.943% |
| 3 | Talonflame | 25.44047% | 67122 | 21.573% | 53276 | 21.791% |
Greninja, is another case, while Protean is nice, it just lacks power, even with LO. It doesn0t help that is a completely Glass Canon and it relies on Ice Beam, and we all know how Ice sucks as a defensive typing (Due to Protrean)

Talonflame can and will be a thorn on unprepared teams, while is SR weak, it revenge killing qualities are good. Although if you get da rocks and bring a good wall you're good.

| 4 | Gengar | 20.89680% | 64808 | 20.829% | 48280 | 19.747% |
Honestly? Most people aren't using this guy right, they think they can just bring him on anything an expect results.

Funny Story?, CM Sylveon kills Gengar by CMing on the Switch and then taking a SB and then smacking it with Psyshock.

| 5 | Ferrothorn | 14.84655% | 41785 | 13.430% | 36191 | 14.803% |
| 6 | Tyranitar | 14.71539% | 42299 | 13.595% | 34962 | 14.300% |
| 7 | Scizor | 14.63622% | 42142 | 13.544% | 32492 | 13.290% |
Megas or not, these guys will always see use one way or another.

| 8 | Klefki | 13.76588% | 37730 | 12.126% | 33505 | 13.704% |
I JUST love this little guy, Dat tipying and Dat Prankster T-wave, Sub and Spikes are just awesome.

Stick you EV into defenses and bulk and deal Damage with Foul Play, and not even guys like Aegislash and Baton Passers recievers will like to take you on.

| 9 | Garchomp | 13.65784% | 41484 | 13.333% | 31284 | 12.796% |
| 10 | Goodra | 12.69665% | 37345 | 12.003% | 28246 | 11.553% |
Good Ol' Chomp is always Chomp.

Goodra is kinda mixed for me, Assault Vest gives it God-Level SpD Bulk but it just... kinda lacks firepower, coming short of OHKS many times for me.

Still Nice.

Honestly I'm expecting this guy to fall anytime, while powerful, is predictable as hell, not to mention almost everybody and their mother carries a mon with Earthquake and King's Shield you can see it coming from a mile away.
That's part of why I use the Shadow Ball/Shadow Sneak/Iron Head/Sacred Sword set. So many people expect the King's Shield or Swords Dance only to lose a mon to their misprediction. I've even had 6 KOs in one game with that thing.

Greninja, is another case, while Protean is nice, it just lacks power, even with LO. It doesn0t help that is a completely Glass Canon and it relies on Ice Beam, and we all know how Ice sucks as a defensive typing (Due to Protrean)

Talonflame can and will be a thorn on unprepared teams, while is SR weak, it revenge killing qualities are good. Although if you get da rocks and bring a good wall you're good.
Greninja is overrated. Period. Talonflame is amazing with a good Rapid Spin/Defog user...which...pretty much doesn't exist with Gengar and Aegislash around. Forretress is awesome thanks to bulk and a very slow Volt Switch, which is nice.

Honestly? Most people aren't using this guy right, they think they can just bring him on anything an expect results.

Funny Story?, CM Sylveon kills Gengar by CMing on the Switch and then taking a SB and then smacking it with Psyshock.
Haha. How true. People need to learn to Substitute on their opponent's switch to Tyranitar. Then again, no they don't, because I rely on said Tyranitar to get rid of it. :P

Megas or not, these guys will always see use one way or another.

I JUST love this little guy, Dat tipying and Dat Prankster T-wave, Sub and Spikes are just awesome.

Stick you EV into defenses and bulk and deal Damage with Foul Play, and not even guys like Aegislash and Baton Passers recievers will like to take you on.

Good Ol' Chomp is always Chomp.

Goodra is kinda mixed for me, Assault Vest gives it God-Level SpD Bulk but it just... kinda lacks firepower, coming short of OHKS many times for me.

Still Nice.

Klefki...dat Prankster. Only thing it needs is Taunt. But still, I use it as a Dual Screener and paralysis spreader, and it can set up a Talonflame/Mega Gengar/Aegislash sweep very well.

Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Scizor are your standard top-tier OU mons.

Garchomp is nice. Goodra is an awesome special tank, but too bad it lacks recovery. Also any good impressions of Goodra on me were ruined by me using Eviolite Floette in my X playthrough and 2HKOing every Goodra I saw. :P

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Keep in mind that October's usage stats are heavily influenced by the fact that everybody want to try out the new Pokémon. Of course they will top the usage statistics, the simulator had barely been working for a week when they were uploaded. The November stats will still be affected by the "tryouts", but December should be pretty stable, with the perceived "best" Pokémon on top and the novelty newcomers settling where they belong further down.

In short: The fact that Aegislash, Talonflame and Greninja top the usage list doesn't mean everybody regard them as "OMG teh best evah!". It simply means that they are used a lot in this initial phase because people want to try them.

Keep in mind that October's usage stats are heavily influenced by the fact that everybody want to try out the new Pokémon.
Yes, folks, let's all please keep this in mind. I stopped policing this thread so heavily, but if I see more "Y iz Mega Khan so low?" posts, I *will* delete them.

Rayquaza_ WHAT DID I JUST SAY? I edited your post rather than deleting it, but I'm serious--next post that comments on usage stats for a particular poke being high/low/undeserved/whatever will be deleted.

I wanted to add some of the data you provided to a redis database so I spent the last few hours formatting the data and thought I'd post it here with the steps I took.

You'll need:
- notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.5.1.html)
- a redis server (http://redis.io/)
- python (http://www.python.org/download/)
- redis-py (https://github.com/andymccurdy/redis-py)

First grab the data you want to use from the start of the thread. I used http://paste.ubuntu.com/6358025/ and save to data.txt.

Open in notepad++ and do the following find/replaces making sure 'regular expressions' and 'matches newline' is ticked down the bottom:

Find: ( \+\-+\+\s\r\n)( \|\s+)(\w+)(\s+\|\s\r\n)( \+)
Replace: \1\2\!\3\4\5
This adds '!' to the start of each pokemon's section. (If future versions could do this or add some other marker to distinguish the start of a pokemon's section it would be greatly appreciated)

Find: ( \| )(\w+\s)(\w+.\w+\s)(\(.*?\))(.*?\r\n)(.*?)(\(.*?\))
Replace: \2\7
This trims the checks and counters section to remove the second and third values and puts each counter on one line. (If future versions could have each check/counter on a single line it would be greatly appreciated)

Next save the following two files:
prep.py
Code:
import fileinput
import re

for lines in fileinput.input():
  a = lines.strip(' +-').lstrip('| ').rstrip('\r\n').rstrip('| ')
  b = re.sub('\s{2,}', ' ', a)
  if (b.startswith('Raw') or b.startswith('Avg')):
    skip = 1;
  elif (b != ''):
    print b
convert.py
Code:
import fileinput
import redis

r = redis.Redis(host='localhost', port=6379, db=0)
pokemon = None;
key = None;
for lines in fileinput.input():
  if (lines.startswith('!')):
    pokemon = lines.strip('!').lower().rstrip('\r\n');
  elif (lines.startswith('Abilities') or lines.startswith('Items') or lines.startswith('Spreads') or lines.startswith('Moves') or lines.startswith('Teammates') or lines.startswith('Checks and Counters')):
    score = 1;
    if (lines.startswith("Checks and Counters")):
      key = "counters";
    else:
      key = lines.rstrip('\r\n').lower();
  elif (pokemon != None and key != None):
    #print 'ZADD {0}:{1} {2} \"{3}\"'.format(pokemon, key, str(score), lines.rstrip('\r\n'));
    r.zadd(pokemon + ':' + key, lines.rstrip('\r\n'), str(score));
    score += 1;
Then it's simply a matter of running:
$ python prep.py data.txt | python convert.py

Which will add all the data to your redis database and store them in the following keys:
pokemon-name:abilities
pokemon-name:items
pokemon-name:spreads
pokemon-name:moves
pokemon-name:teammates
pokemon-name:counters

And can be looked up like so:
Code:
127.0.0.1:6379> zrange gengar:counters 0 -1
1) "Aegislash (48.2% KOed / 23.5% switched out)"
2) "Bisharp (52.5% KOed / 29.8% switched out)"
3) "Scizor (51.1% KOed / 20.6% switched out)"
4) "Mawile (53.2% KOed / 18.8% switched out)"
5) "Kangaskhan (49.3% KOed / 18.6% switched out)"
6) "Aerodactyl (64.3% KOed / 14.0% switched out)"
7) "Ditto (43.7% KOed / 26.4% switched out)"
8) "Talonflame (43.5% KOed / 21.9% switched out)"
9) "Goodra (30.1% KOed / 33.3% switched out)"
10) "Weavile (55.9% KOed / 21.5% switched out)"
11) "Dragonite (49.8% KOed / 13.2% switched out)"
12) "Tyranitar (47.6% KOed / 12.9% switched out)"
127.0.0.1:6379> zrange goodra:abilities 0 -1
1) "Gooey 56.427%"
2) "Sap Sipper 31.228%"
3) "Hydration 12.345%"
This could be used as a backend to a website or preform analysis on pokemon (though redis isn't ideal for that). Sorry if the code is a little messy, this took a little longer than I expected.

Last edited:
Rayquaza_ That's why *I* didn't delete your post. Stock phrases or not, the last six pages have shown that those kinds of comments lead to the exact same convo over and over and over again, "Well it's low bc the ladder is new." "Oh, okay then." "Why is Aegislash so high?" lather, rinse, repeat.

Val, If you wanted the data in a nicely-formatted machine-friendly structure, you should have just asked: I create JSON versions of everything, with the idea that they'll one day be integrated into Smogon's new Pokedex:

Code:
import json
lc=json.loads(open('pokebanklcbeta.json').readline())
cnc=lc['data']['Swirlix']['Checks and Counters']
cnc will then be a dict with species names as the keys and the raw check & counter numbers (which are processed into the nice x±y% in the stats) as the values. Send me a PM, and I'll gladly shoot you a sample file.

Last edited:
Antar, thanks I will in future. It was mostly just an exercise because I wanted to use redis for something.

I don't think most people realize how important this data is and would love to see those stats updated monthly on a nice pretty web interface with type colored moves, mouse over details etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)