1v1 Ogerpon-Hearthflame

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 172 HP / 220 Def / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel / Knock Off
- Encore / U-turn

The Mask Pokemon's great physical bulk, which allows it to tank attacks from and OHKO threats such as Meowscarada and Iron Boulder with Counter, makes it one of 1v1's most dangerous threats! Power Whip allows Ogerpon-H to OHKO Pokemon like Primarina and Manaphy. Ogerpon-H's last two moveslots are flexible; Ivy Cudgel is a useful secondary STAB move into Pokemon such as Corviknight. Encore allows Ogerpon to win the matchup versus threats such as Iron Defense Necrozma and Iron Valiant. Knock Off can be used as coverage into Pokemon such as Skeledirge and, when combined with U-turn, it allows Ogerpon-H to always win versus Hoopa-U. The given EVs allow Ogerpon-H to have the best odds against Choice Band Meowscarada while still having enough Speed to outpace Hoopa-U and Necrozma. Ogerpon-H struggles with strong special attackers such as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, as well as Poison-types such as Iron Moth and Gunk Shot Cinderace, so Metagross and Garchomp, which directly counter them, are helpful partners to have. Due to Ogerpon-H's ability to beat almost any Fairy-type in the tier, pairing it with Pokemon that are threatened by Fairy-types such as Iron Valiant and Baxcalibur can form an incredible core.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Add
Remove
Comments

Impish Nature
- Counter
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel / Knock Off
- Encore / U-turn

Even with the transition into the Indigo Disk metagame, the Mask Pokemon remains as one of 1v1's most dangerous threats! Counter, combined with Ogerpon-H's decent physical bulk, allows it to tank attacks from and OHKO threats such as Cinderace Meowscarada and Metagross Iron Boulder Metagross isn't doing enough to OHKO itself with Counter, but you are winning with Counter -> Ivy Cudgel.
252 Atk Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 172 HP / 220+ Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (better example of something getting owned by obese hearthflame)
252 Atk Life Orb Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 172 HP / 220+ Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 393-463 (114.2 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (band and lo just ohko hearthflame, cinderace should always be carrying gunk imo)

Power Whip is the STAB move of choice, allowing Ogerpon-H to OHKO Pokemon like Primarina and Manaphy. Ogerpon-H's last two moveslots are flexable; Ivy Cudgel is a useful secondary STAB into Pokemon such as Corviknight. Encore allows Ogerpon to win the matchup verses versus (me when the foe is sus) threats such as Iron Defense Necrozma and Iron Valiant. Knock Off can be used as coverage into Pokemon such as Skeledrige Skeledirge and when combined with U-Turn, it allows Ogerpon-H to always win verses versus Hoopa. If you have space, mention Spiky Shield for custap stuff like Primarina as well, I'd argue that's way more mainstream than u-turn or even knock (0+ SpA Torrent Primarina Hydro Cannon vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 334-394 (97 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO) The given EVs allows Ogerpon-H to be as bulky as possible, notably allowing it to have the best odds vs Choice Band Meowscarada if you want to swap out the meow insert I made earlier bc it gets explained here, feel free to say smth in the 1v1 analyses channel in the discord while still having enough Speed to outpace Hoopa and Necrozma. Ogerpon struggles with strong special attackers such as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, so Pokemon who directly threaten them such as Metagross are helpful partners to have. this section is p short and I think it needs just a couple more examples, oger can struggle against poison types as well. Stuff like garchomp / Rhyperior / either Landorus should do well with it I think. It's also one of the best fairy counters in the tier and often pairs with fairy-weaks like iron valiant and various dragon-types like baxcalibur / regidrago / dragapult to form incredible cores - one of the main reasons it's so good
1/1 after implementation
If you need help cutting it down speak up and I'll help with that + GP can as well
gj overall

Last edited:

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Add
Remove
Comments

Impish Nature
- Counter
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel / Knock Off
- Encore / U-turn

Even with the transition into the Indigo Disk metagame, the Mask Pokemon remains as one of 1v1's most dangerous threats! Counter, combined with Ogerpon-H's decent physical bulk, allows it to tank attacks from and OHKO threats such as Cinderace Meowscarada and Metagross Iron Boulder Metagross isn't doing enough to OHKO itself with Counter, but you are winning with Counter -> Ivy Cudgel.
252 Atk Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 172 HP / 220+ Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (better example of something getting owned by obese hearthflame)
252 Atk Life Orb Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 172 HP / 220+ Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 393-463 (114.2 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (band and lo just ohko hearthflame, cinderace should always be carrying gunk imo)

Power Whip is the STAB move of choice, allowing Ogerpon-H to OHKO Pokemon like Primarina and Manaphy. Ogerpon-H's last two moveslots are flexable; Ivy Cudgel is a useful secondary STAB into Pokemon such as Corviknight. Encore allows Ogerpon to win the matchup verses versus (me when the foe is sus) threats such as Iron Defense Necrozma and Iron Valiant. Knock Off can be used as coverage into Pokemon such as Skeledrige Skeledirge and when combined with U-Turn, it allows Ogerpon-H to always win verses versus Hoopa. If you have space, mention Spiky Shield for custap stuff like Primarina as well, I'd argue that's way more mainstream than u-turn or even knock (0+ SpA Torrent Primarina Hydro Cannon vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 334-394 (97 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO) The given EVs allows Ogerpon-H to be as bulky as possible, notably allowing it to have the best odds vs Choice Band Meowscarada if you want to swap out the meow insert I made earlier bc it gets explained here, feel free to say smth in the 1v1 analyses channel in the discord while still having enough Speed to outpace Hoopa and Necrozma. Ogerpon struggles with strong special attackers such as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, so Pokemon who directly threaten them such as Metagross are helpful partners to have. this section is p short and I think it needs just a couple more examples, oger can struggle against poison types as well. Stuff like garchomp / Rhyperior / either Landorus should do well with it I think. It's also one of the best fairy counters in the tier and often pairs with fairy-weaks like iron valiant and various dragon-types like baxcalibur / regidrago / dragapult to form incredible cores - one of the main reasons it's so good
1/1 after implementation
If you need help cutting it down speak up and I'll help with that + GP can as well
gj overall
did!
GP Team heyy

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Add (AC=add comma)
Remove

Impish Nature
- Counter
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel / Knock Off
- Encore / U-turn

The Mask Pokemon's great physical bulk, which allows it to tank attacks from and OHKO threats such as Meowscarada and Iron Boulder with Counter allow it to remain ,(AC) makes it one of 1v1's most dangerous threats! Power Whip is the STAB move of choice, allowing allows Ogerpon-H to OHKO Pokemon like Primarina and Manaphy. Ogerpon-H's last two moveslots are flexable; Ivy Cudgel is a useful secondary STAB into Pokemon such as Corviknight. Encore allows Ogerpon to win the matchup versus threats such as Iron Defense Necrozma and Iron Valiant. Knock Off can be used as coverage into Pokemon such as Skeledirge and,(AC) when combined with U-Turn, it allows Ogerpon-H to always win versus Hoopa. The given EVs allows Ogerpon-H to have the best odds vs against Choice Band Meowscarada while still having enough Speed to outpace Hoopa and Necrozma. Ogerpon struggles with strong special attackers such as as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, as well as Poison-types such as Iron Moth and Gunk Shot Cinderace,(AC) so Metagross and Garchomp, who which directly counter them, are helpful partners to have. Due to Ogerpon-H's ability to beat almost any Fairy-type in the tier, pairing it with Pokemon who are threatened by Fairy-types such as Iron Valiant and Baxcalibur can form an incredible core.
milak-gp-small.gif

GP Team done

Sorry if it's out of place or too late, but in "Ogerpon-H struggles with strong special attackers such as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, as well as Poison-types such as Iron Moth and Gunk Shot Cinderace, so Metagross and Garchomp, which directly counter them, are helpful partners to have." shouldn't there be a clarification that it's metagross and garchomp respectively, since Cinderace beats metagross? While i was translating i found it odd and asked some 1v1 players (clerica & murm) about that line and they agreed that it should be worded differently as to not cause confusion, since metagross gets annihilated by ace

Last edited:

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Sorry if it's out of place or too late, but in "Ogerpon-H struggles with strong special attackers such as Meloetta and Porygon-Z, as well as Poison-types such as Iron Moth and Gunk Shot Cinderace, so Metagross and Garchomp, which directly counter them, are helpful partners to have." shouldn't there be a clarification that it's metagross and garchomp respectively, since Cinderace beats metagross? While i was translating i found it odd and asked some 1v1 players (clerica & murm) about that line and they agreed that it should be worded differently as to not cause confusion, since metagross gets annihilated by ace
This sentence was initially 2 and was combined during QC to become one, metagross is only their as an example that's good at holding back special attackers. An edit to clarify this might be possible, or maybe a different example over Metagross (Bella)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)