SM OU [OU] A Mega Venusaur stall team

So I've been playing competitive pokemon for a couple years now and have played many tiers and team styles. From hyper offense to trickroom you name it. However during my climbings on the ladder I noticed alot of stall teams. Stall was a playstyle I've faced many many times but for some reason I never had played a stall team. I started doing some research and found out most stall teams typically use the same pokemon such as M-Sableye,Skarmory, Chansey etc. I'm the type of guy that wants to make his own stuff. So instead of choosing the infamous stalling nightmare, I went with another stalling beast: Mega Venusaur.

upload_2017-2-4_23-13-43.png
upload_2017-2-4_23-14-21.png
upload_2017-2-4_23-15-21.png
upload_2017-2-4_23-15-44.png
upload_2017-2-4_23-15-57.png
upload_2017-2-4_23-17-10.png

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The star of the team. EVs in Hp, Def and SpD to make my man as bulky as possible. Pretty much standard moveset. Went with Leech seed over hp fire to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn. This mon really does not die and is so good this gen since it deals with 3/4 Tapu's and all other fairy types running arround

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy

I know this girl is on nearly every stall team and theres a good reason for it too. Chansey makes for amazing special defensive wall and cleric. Again nothing special about the Evs but I did put on toxic over Stealth Rock, because I already have another rock setter and also wanted chansey to be able to stall out pokemon one on one.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Felt the need for a hazard remover for obvious reasons. After a long debate with myself I chose Zapdos over Skarmory. Let me explain why: Allthough not common, Celesteela could give this team problems since I would not be able to hit that beast with Skarmory at all. Sub-Coil Zygarde is also a thing and imagened that thing running trough this team. For the STAB attack I prefer Discharge over Volt Switch/ Thunderbolt for the added chance of paralysis. This way I can still status attackers that are immune to Toxic. Hp ice is nice to hit the common Landorus and the earlier mentioned pokemon.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Dugtrio is the kind of an assasin. He gets rid of pokemon that my team does not like. He's also my only way of dealing with Heatran which I found to have trouble against without Dugtrio. At this point I also noticed that my team kind of did have an weakness to electric attacks which is not the best thing in the OU meta. Dugtrio can switch in an attack and kill the electric type right after so my team doesn't have to deal with it later. Earthquake and Reversal are staple moves. Stone edge to hit zard , as they tend to not mega evolve to avoid the Earthquake. Toxic is there to use whenever Reversal can't hit the opposing pokemon.

Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Unfortunantly Zapdos does not learn a single hazard move. I was running out of slots and really needed a rock setter as it would help my stall team out so much and limit my opponent's switch ins. Looking back at the team I figured I needed a defensive lead that would not make for complete setup fodder. Necrozma came to mind. I had not seen it much on stall teams and really wanted to try it out as I had never used it before. My team also did not have a safe switch in to Lele as Chansey get destroyed by Psyshock. Evs spread across Def and SpD to take hits from both sides. Moveset speaks for itself. I'm still debating whether going for Thunderwave or Toxic in the final moveslot.

Alomomola (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

I was lacking the bulky water type that most stall teams have. I was about to go with Toxapex when I suddenly had a flashback from gen 6. This innocent looking fish used to be on alot, and I mean alot of stall teams such as the notorious wonder trio stall teams. But in Sun and Moon, atleast for me it was nowhere to be seen. I remembered this thing being an absolute pain and just had to see if it can do it's thing again in gen 7. Exact same EV spread and moveset as it ran in gen 6. Rocky Helmet over Leftovers to punish incoming U-turns.

And there it is. My first ever stall team. So far it has gotten me to 1500 on the ladder. I'm having alot of fun with it and hope to make the team better. Critisism will be very appriciated. This is also my first ever post on the Smogon forums, so I don't know if I did everything like I'm supposed to do. Also excuse me for possible bad English grammar. It's not my first language :V. Anyway feel free to test the team out:

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Alomomola (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Attachments

Your stall team is pretty unique and I would like to put some of my suggestions here.

Venusaur

Good job on the set. Hidden Power Fire really good as it deals with Steel types such as Celesteela or Ferrothorn that will wall you. Synthesis is a great form of recovery that keeps Venusaur healthy in battles. A check to this set is Heatran. It has Flash Fire and resist both of Venusaur's STAB moves. But then, Dugtrio is there to solve the problem.

Chansey

I feel that Physical Bulk is pretty useless for Chansey. Instead, I would recommend this spread, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD. Even if it's fully invested in Def, Chansey still gets 2HKOs from Sacred Sword Kartana or Skyuppercut Kommo-o.
252 Atk Kommo-o Sky Uppercut vs. 4 HP / 252 Def+ Eviolite Chansey: 326-386 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 252 Def+ Eviolite Chansey: 334-394 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Give Chansey Perfect Attack IVs since it has Seismic Toss. Soft-Boiled and Toxic are really great for stalling. And Aromatherapy gives your team excellent support. I recommend replacing Toxic with Thunder Wave.

Zapdos

I prefer giving Zapdos more special bulk. And here's the spread, 252 HP / 200 Def / 40 SpD / 16 Spe. It is able to switch into attacks pretty well. I feel that Heat Wave is necessary on Zapdos. But still, no one else on your team is able to learn a ice move to check Landorus and Garchomp. So I recommend changing the Hidden Power to Ice on Venusaur, and get Heat Wave over Hidden Power on Zapdos.

Dugtrio

Dugtrio is pretty frail to switch into attacks. So make sure to switch in when the opponent is not planing to Attack. Dugtrio can also trap Magnezone which is common now in OU. Others are ok. Just that I feel that Toxic is not so suitable on it.

Necrozma Mew

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled

Soft-Boiled and Leftovers for Stalling. Mew was better then Necrozma being able to learn all TM/HM. Psychic is the main attacking move in case of a taunt. The reason why I chose Mew is because it is able to switch into Status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. This means the opponent who use Toxic or Will-O-Wisp will be poisoned or burned too. It also gets access to Taunt to break other Stall teams. I recommend replacing Necrozma with this.

Alomomola

This set is ok. Just that I prefer Leftovers for more healing. Alomomola is able to burn and deal with threats such as Landorus. Wish is great healing support for other team members that Toxapex don't access too. Which is why I think that Alomomola is a great suit.

And that's it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I very much like your spread for Zapdos and the idea of giving him Heatwave and Venusaur Hp ice. I agree on your opinion on Dugtrio with Toxic. Tbh I really don't know what Dugtrio should have instead of Toxic in the final move slot. I guess Sucker punch or Screech could be a thing. Yes, even with all the Def investment Chansey is still very frail on the physical side. The only reason I figured I'd dump the rest in Def is because I feel that this particular set does not need max HP because it does not have wish to pass the extra hp. I could ofcourse make the chansey wish pass but then again I could get stalled out by status. Oh and Seismic Toss toss is unaffected by Chansey's attack stat since it does damage depending on the opponents HP stat.0 attack Ivs to minimize damage from Foul play which I forgot to mention. Not sure how I feel about Thunderwave on Chansey. I will test that out though. I originally did indeed have Leftovers on Alomomola but I found the U-turn spam to be annoying to this team and Rocky Helmet makes my opponent think twice before U-turning. Finally Mew. Mew looks like a solid choice. Necrozma however has proven to be a clutch pokemon thanks to it's ability, and higher SpA. I'll leave Necrozma on there for now. However I will definately keep Mew in the back of my mind. Very good suggestion.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most of this makes sense (Mew vs. Necrozma is debatable but I can see your reasoning) but two parts are just really confusing.
Chansey

I feel that Physical Bulk is pretty useless for Chansey. Instead, I would recommend this spread, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD. Even if it's fully invested in Def, Chansey still gets 2HKOs from Sacred Sword Kartana or Skyuppercut Kommo-o.
252 Atk Kommo-o Sky Uppercut vs. 4 HP / 252 Def+ Eviolite Chansey: 326-386 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 252 Def+ Eviolite Chansey: 334-394 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Give Chansey Perfect Attack IVs since it has Seismic Toss. Soft-Boiled and Toxic are really great for stalling. And Aromatherapy gives your team excellent support. I recommend replacing Toxic with Thunder Wave.
  • Defense investment is basically mandatory on Chansey because it more than doubles its physical bulk (119 with 252+ Def, 46 with 0 Def) and Chansey isn't supposed to counter Kartana anyway?
  • HP investment is bad because EVs add to the stat instead of multiplying it, so you have 704 HP instead of 642 with full investment, which is a bit of a waste. 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD is ok.
  • Seismic Toss does fixed damage (equal to user's level) so there's no benefit to increasing Attack IVs unless you want to deal more damage with Struggle.

Zapdos

I prefer giving Zapdos more special bulk. And here's the spread, 252 HP / 200 Def / 40 SpD / 16 Spe. It is able to switch into attacks pretty well.
what does this do

anyway, good luck with the team BrightPowderDealer! I'd suggest switching Alomomola and Zapdos's items, because Alomomola can click Protect for free recovery and Zapdos can switch in on U-Turn better.

I've thought about this but I'm not sure about Rocky Helmet on Zapdos. It already takes a dent in it's HP after simply switching in rocks to Defog them which may lead to the opponent being able KO Zapdos. I suppose I may give it a try. Yeah I'm really not sure who to choose. I've been switching between Mew and Necrozma lately but I just dont know haha. Neither one seems to standout to me in this team except for Necrozma's bigger clutch factor at times. Thanks to you too for replying!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)