OU Player of the Week #1: ABR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
What is your honest advise and tips for some individuals wanting to become known on this site?

Any advise for becoming a good teambuilder besides "don't be scared to use unconventional sets"?

Do you know people or friends who you spent all your time on to teach them the basics of smogon? and if yes then did they improve?

What is your honest advise and tips for some individuals wanting to become known on this site?

Any advise for becoming a good teambuilder besides "don't be scared to use unconventional sets"?

Do you know people or friends who you spent all your time on to teach them the basics of smogon? and if yes then did they improve?
The best way to get known, just as I got known, is to perform well in tournaments. Considering you most likely won't get into team tours unless you're from a 3rd world country or you do well in individuals, you need to do well in individuals. I wasn't known until my run in OLT2 and thus the SPL after.

Asking Picasso "can you teach me how to master art in 2 sentences?" isn't very practical. Seriously speaking though, it's just something you need to have a feel for after doing it a lot.

Pretty much all of my friends are in the tour scene so not really.

who do you fuckin hate in smogon

whos the shittiest player uve played
I've definitely accumulated some haters during my stay on Smogon, but I don't interact with any of them much so it's not really an ongoing thing. Sorry this couldn't be as intriguing as your roast of the victini.

The shittiest player I've played probably has to be Tele, which is why beating him down on every occasion was such an easy feat.

Do your white supremacist views get in the way of the loving bond you share with omfuga?
Nothing gets in the way of the truth.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Is it tru u nd thunderblunderr have a vacation home in alaska?

Also please explain in ten words or less why long island is goat.

Is it tru u nd thunderblunderr have a vacation home in alaska?

Also please explain in ten words or less why long island is goat.
The Alaskan hut is for my wife and I only.

Interconnectedness and an overall suburban home feeling

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
yo abr, big fan as you know. some Qs coming your way:

- you've taken up on old gens recently and told me how much you appreciate them for their freshness. what are some strategies you'd like to try out but haven't yet in them (even if they're already tried & true)?
- are there any particular games that have impacted you, be it because they were particulary well played or because they made you realize some new ways to approach a gameplan that you haven't though of yet until then?
- who are your favorite players to watch? favorite builders?
- goals on smogon?
- any changes you'd make to tournaments in general?

love your positivity and mindset, keep having fun!

Are you competitive in other aspects of your life? What enjoyment do you derive from competition? Is it knowing that you are better than an opponent or the process of advancing forward yourself?

how lopsided will the megagross ban vote be?
It will probably stay within the 50%-70% range (60% being the ban threshold).

yo abr, big fan as you know. some Qs coming your way:

- you've taken up on old gens recently and told me how much you appreciate them for their freshness. what are some strategies you'd like to try out but haven't yet in them (even if they're already tried & true)?
- are there any particular games that have impacted you, be it because they were particulary well played or because they made you realize some new ways to approach a gameplan that you haven't though of yet until then?
- who are your favorite players to watch? favorite builders?
- goals on smogon?
- any changes you'd make to tournaments in general?

love your positivity and mindset, keep having fun!
- For RBY, I'm kind of unfamiliar with Rest Lax builds, as I pretty much always opt for 4atk boom. Cloyster and Lapras are some other mons I haven't really explored (I know there isn't that much variety in RBY anyways). For GSC, I'm mainly experienced with kind of boom heavy offense so I've never tried the marowak/bd lax + cleric type of builds, which seem very interesting. For ADV, I mainly use balance-ish spikes teams and so I haven't used offense teams with 3 dd'ers and mag. I'd also like to try out some mons such as Medicham as Camerupt.

- No games really come to mind as revolutionary and replays are down so I couldn't even show one.

- My favorite player to watch is probably Tesung (when he did play at least), just because he's really explosive and unpredictable. My favorite builder is myself (anti actually impressed me the most build-wise this past SPL).

- Aside from being a tournament winner, I do want to improve this site in some way, whether its smogon-ps interconnectedness, or growth/improvement of the tour community.

- I think our tournament circuit is pretty stellar right now, but I wish it wasn't so separate from the rest of PS.

:kissing_heart:

Are you competitive in other aspects of your life? What enjoyment do you derive from competition? Is it knowing that you are better than an opponent or the process of advancing forward yourself?
I'm mostly only competitive in terms of games, be it sports or video games or anything of the sort. I think without competition, it's pretty tough to gauge your own progress, and it's also kind of less fun. That being said, most of the enjoyment I derive from competition isn't simply "I beat others and thus I'm good." It's more that competition with others provides a reference point as well as a motive for self improvement. In the case of smogon tournaments, without facing off against other people I could never really test my own progress or pokemon knowledge, and I wouldn't know that I need to improve myself in some way. The existence of opponents "punishes" a lack of perfection, and thus competition is the very basis for self improvement.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
what's your favorite color?

what's the best way to improve your skill at old gens? like the ps room is dead and i'm sure the ladder isn't much better so it seems like practicing them could be difficult

any advice for getting reqs in a suspect?

what's your favorite color?

what's the best way to improve your skill at old gens? like the ps room is dead and i'm sure the ladder isn't much better so it seems like practicing them could be difficult

any advice for getting reqs in a suspect?
Blue (probably more on the light side), and also White
The tournaments section of this website is definitely the most old-gens focused, especially when compared to the usual PS main atmosphere, so try spending some time on smogtours.psim.us or just entering tours in general.

Just use an anti-meta team I guess, but anything that you're comfortable with works (I personally stall every suspect).

hey abr
whats your process for teambuilding?
if u had to recommend an album/song/artist what would it be?
My process is a bit complex so I can't get much into it without spending an hour.

My favorite artist is probably Nujabes, and I'd also recommend a lot of video game soundtracks like DKC2, Halo (3), Undertale, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)