OU Teambuilding Workshop v2 [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey y'all just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood dictator to read the rules that are in the OP before posting in this thread. I've already had to delete two requested cores for breaking this rule, which was also broken numerous times in the old thread:
8. Any Pokemon ranked below B on the Viability Rankings may not be included in a full core—this means that if you wanted to request something with a B- or lower Pokemon, you must request that Pokemon alone.
Otherwise, your post will be instantly deleted and thus, no team for you.

sd kartana bulky offence

as requested by Hicron

scarf kartana is my preferred set in this meta, as it brings actual utility, if i'm honest, but sd is really fun and still solid. the two kind of operate in completely flipped ways: scarf appreciates breakers such as specs lele weakening kartana's checks for it to sweep, whilst sd does what lele does for scarf, with a different subset of pokemon it can support depending on the set. anyway, i wanted to use z-steel and something that greatly appreciates its ability to lure in and eliminate fat grasses such as tangrowth and mvenu. i went through a bunch of options to pair with it, ranging from mega manectric to ash greninja, but neither of those provided enough defensive utility to make the team function, so i ended up settling on mega gyarados for this role. the rest of the team is focused around providing utility and blanket checks to stop the team folding to the inflated meta, as is standard with bulky offence teams. when using any water-type not called swampert in ou, i find it a necessity to pack a solid check to koko, and a ground-type to stop it clicking specs volt switch with impunity. this is where spdef ferrothorn comes in; providing stealth rocks, a secondary water resist to stop the team folding to ash greninja, a mandatory steel-type and arguably the best koko check in the tier barring niche shitmons. next up was the ground-type, scarf landorus-t was my pick. it provides some necessary speed control, a means with which to stop mega pinsir 6-0ing the team at preview, an actual ground resist that isn't weak to rocks, and momentum via u-turn to bring in kartana and the next pokemon. with ferrothorn being the only specs lele "switchin", as well as the only decent one to ash gren, i needed something to take advantage of them being choice-locked, as well as a secondary breaker to take some of the strain off of kartana. this is where cb ttar comes in. not only does it provide the aforementioned things, it also offers a solid check to zapdos, and a secondary check to heatran, which is needed when using two pokemon that give it free turns. fast defog mew rounds out the team, providing a solid check to offensive landorus-t, zygarde, mega lopunny, and mega medicham, whilst bringing necessary hazard removal.

~~~~~notes on the team~~~~~

the toxapex matchup with this team is somewhat tough, mainly thanks to the good move. earthquake is used over waterfall on gyarados as a means with which to alleviate this, giving it less chances to burn you, thought as gyarados is the main volcarona check, feel free to switch back to waterfall if you're willing to take risks vs. toxapex. mew is also somewhat of a troublesome matchup, but most people tend to switch to mew on landorus-t, on which turn you should knock off the first time. on the second time this happens, uturn into kartana, as at this point it will be in range of corkscrew crash. if they're heavily defensive as opposed to timid, you can go hard into gyarados, taunt, and use it as setup bait. the ttar spread eats one specs moonblast from lele, shouts robopoke.

~~~~~onto the next team~~~~~

dd mega altaria ho

as requested by dukevesper

dd mega altaria ho is something that, to tell the truth, i've dabbled in and made a couple of rough drafts with before, but i think this is the best one yet. i'll let you know right away though, that mega altaria is really, really bad (though i assume you know this already). regardless, it's also really fun. the most obvious, borderline mandatory partner for this 'mon is magnezone. i went with substitute z-elec on this team, to ensure that no celesteela can escape alive, whilst not giving free turns to landorus-t and garchomp as specs would, which a team like this cannot afford. next up i threw on an eplate landorus-t with a very specific set of eq / hp ice / gravity / stealth rock, naive nature. what this brings to the table is a strong balance/stall breaker, a real ground resist, stealth rock, a landorus-t/zygarde "check", and gravity+eplate boosted earthquakes to fall back on should magnezone not be able to trap skarmory and celesteela. as i wanted this to be a more hazards-focused team, the next pick was dual hazards greninja, naturally. this set is super cool because not only does sash ensure that you survive any hit vs. offence and get up what usually is a vital spike/tspike (trust me, koko is something you want a tspike up for to bring it into range of lele's moonblast); but it also pressures slower, fat teams like crazy for something with only one attack, thanks to taunt, sometimes even managing to get up full layers vs. them if it's played well. dope mon. next up is a ho staple, mimikyu. along with providing a spinblocker for lead excadrill matchups, it also acts as a catch-all panic button against setup sweepers like volcarona, autotomize celesteela after chip, gyarados, salamence, etc. furthermore, it pairs really nicely with altaria+magnezone, as not only do altaria and mimikyu share common checks and counters that they can weaken together, a lot of these are trapped by magnezone. the last slot needed do four things: bring some speed control to the team, prevent the team losing completely to mega pinsir, offer something to double into mega venusaur and pressure it+toxapex, and it ideally needed to appreciate the support of magnezone. scarf tapu lele was a perfect fit.

~~~~~notes on the team~~~~~

this team is actually really fun to use, and i've enjoyed almost all of the games i've played with it during testing, except for the one where mana completely ctd me. shift gear mage wins if it's aop, but as for cm shift gear boltbeam, go hard into magnezone, pop the z-move, and from there revenge with mimikyu. you could probably make this team better simply by replacing altaria with a superior mega, but there's no fun in that. i initially had knock off > hp ice on landorus-t, but opposing landorus-t and cb zygarde were proving a little too troublesome, and weakening defensive landorus-t for mimikyu is amazing. lele and mimikyu end up cleaning most games up, so if altaria can't do it, don't try and force it. something i considered is z-steel on magnezone to blow away garchomps and landorus-ts, whilst significantly improving the mega venusaur matchup, so give that a shot if you feel like it.

taking ttar+excadrill by Le teamribou and sd mawile+ash gren by GnralLao NOT doing victini, f false. not sure when they'll be ready, but it won't be too long.

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion
-------------
z-celebrate victini hyper offense

requested by starry blanket
-------------
it's really hard to make double lead ho different from every other double lead ho out there since you basically have the first 4 slots already locked in. this one has an offensive celesteela which is cool, i guess ɿ(。・ɜ・)ɾ

the double lead core is pretty simple, you have focus sash greninja to set up spikes and toxic spikes and then focus sash excadrill to come in and spin and maybe set rocks too. sometimes excadrill is the better lead in matchups where you think koko might stop gren from laying hazards but for the most part gren is a better lead. victini is a cool fit on this type of ho because it's able to pressure a lot of the poison types that would usually soak up the toxic spikes that greninja lays, while appreciating the extra hazard damage to pick up kos on bulkier pokemon like garchomp. victini is also good to pressure the fat steels and poisons that can block mimikyu and lopunny. mimikyu is here to check any dangerous setup stuff that might get out of hand, while also working as somewhat of a physical-spam core with lopunny to wear down fatter walls like landorus and celesteela. mega lopunny's speed tier is super important, enabling it to check pokemon such as ash-greninja and tapu koko which would be huge threats to this team otherwise. the power-up-punch slot could also be encore, facade, or even quick attack, feel free to try different stuff out and see what you prefer. celesteela was placed in the final slot because it was a more fun alternative to magearna, a steel is obviously needed in the last slot to provide a check to tapu lele and other threats like tapu bulu. i opted for a physically offensive spread because it works nicely in conjunction with mimikyu and lopunny while also being able to ohko tapu lele and threaten heatran, two things that specially-based celesteela cannot do. the main weaknesses i found were to keldeo and protect landorus, stall is also unfun, but you can play around most stuff if you choose your sacks right and play your wincons carefully.

Last edited:
(yes i see something similar was posted, different mawile)
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch / Thunder Punch / Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
Rocks 3atks mawile is a set I have wanted a team with for a while now, mawile naturally forces switchins and it can pressure some defoggers such as lati and mega scizor by setting rocks back up and scaring them out with fire fang and play rough respectively.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Ash-Gren provides for a great partner for mawile as they provide great syngergy together, being able to hazard stack and breaking each others checks and counters. Mawile can rip things like tang apart and these mons can sweep late game with hazards and priority, and in worse case scenario ash gren provides great speed to outspeed lele if psychic terrain is up, and specs is extremely popular atm making the possibility of scarf much lower.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Substitute
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

I've been using nidoking a lot lately and it really helps vs bulkier teams where it can pressure switches a lot. I would like something that can really pressure stall. Thanks

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Focus Blast

+

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

For the love of God I cannot build around this core without the team falling apart. So I'm requesting here. These two have pretty good type synergy (Lopunny deals with Dark types, Reuniclus is a dope wincon) as well as Lop dealing with offense pretty well for Reun. I'd like to see Tspikes being used with this core, but it's not wholly necessary. This core also likes to have something to deal with bulky Psychics, as I'm not running Shadow Ball on Reuniclus.

I got Gary'd so... take 2, and action!
Offensive Staraptor

Staraptor @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat / Final Gambit

Staraptor is a very unique flying-type attacker that can beat common flying resists and even physical walls/pivots, courtesy of its very high BP stabs and coverage. With a choice band, entire tang/steela/pex and other similar cores are very difficult to sustain under repeated nukes. A choice scarf set allows staraptor to still hit very hard while also functioning as an efficient revenge killer for prominent threats such as Ash Gren, Koko, Lopunny-m, Lele, Zard Y... the list goes on.

This ideal blend of power and speed allows staraptor to be very strong at whichever role you desire, from either wallbreaking or revenge killing/cleaning.

While I can't request a core, I can conveniently point out the weaknesses staraptor may have. Scarf set can be walled by a some things, such as skarmory, defensive celesteela, or take a ton of chip from things like ferrothorn. Some magnezone set could be very effective when paired with staraptor.

Staraptor is a great abuser of u-turn, so powerful wallbreakers really appreciate this support. It also loves knock off users that remove crucial recovery items, letting it more effectively wear down the opposing team with powerful stabs. A volt-turn + knock off core could be a perfect start for a staraptor team.

Staraptor is very good at forcing switches, either through bluffing coverage or scaring off the foe with a stab. Consistent hazard setters naturally make great partners.

On the flip side, staraptor is hard pressed for time on the field by relying on recoil attacks. Hazard removal could be very nice to run alongside it.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 189-222 (49.3 - 57.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 270-318 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 178-210 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 213-252 (50.7 - 60%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 158-186 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 186-219 (61.1 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Slowbro: 231-273 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Mew: 288-340 (71.2 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 190-225 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 292-345 (74.3 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 255-301 (90.7 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 282-333 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 306-361 (107.3 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 271-319 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 231-273 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 271-321 (91.2 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (dies after tiny chip)

I believe Staraptor can have a good place in the OU metagame and that it would be worth your time to explore this powerful flying-type attacker. I'd appreciate whoever takes the time to do so. Thank you for your time and attention :]

Last edited:

Screens Tapu Koko Hyper Offence
ft. Electric Seed Hawlucha

requested by riokl

I'd like to start by saying that I didn't go with the original Koko set you posted, if that wasn't already obvious by the title. I mainly did this because I already had the team built before cycle 1 of OLT and I felt like this was a more interesting take on done to death core. I hope you don't mind that I've done this, but if you do, there's a million other good teams out there with featuring the core with similar if not the same Koko set.

I began the team with the Koko-Lucha, but I wanted to add a twist. I saw the success of Viel and I recalled an old ben gay set, which he used on one of his bp teams. I realised how well this supported Lucha and went from there. Next up, I need some rocks support and Landorus seemed like a great pick because of its access to momentum gaining moves and intimidate, which lead to easier set up for the rest of the members of my team. I opted to go with SD sash explosion, as it allowed me to near guarantee rocks early game and give a set up opportunity after getting some big damage off. following up from there, I was looking for a water resist and something that could fare somewhat decently vs stall. I tested out Suicune, but felt like it lost me too much momentum in the grand scheme of things if I wasn't able to sweep in one go. I ended up going with manaphy, since after one tail glow, you're already in business and it's bulks just enough to make Ash-Greninjas lock into Dark Pulse and kingdra lock into Draco, which give the rest of my members free set up opportunities. I then added Magearna, as the team was lacking a steel and between the other set-up steels (Cele, Mawile, Kartana, etc) I felt like it got the most out of screens because of its ability to increase both Spe and SpA. Finally, I was left with an open mega slot and Mega-Tyranitar has been proven no less than a menace under screens.

The team has some issues, mainly stall, since it can be tricky to execute your Wincons in an ideal position. That said, it's a winnable match-up, especially without Dugtrio in the tier anymore. A lot of the sets can also be swapped in and out at leisure if you're finding yourself struggling verse certain things. For example, Manaphy can be changed to a three attack set with leftovers and you can trade the z-move over to Magearna, which will allow a more straightforward time vs fat balance/semi-stall. You can also change Magearna to Painsplit Calm Mind if your really struggling with stall, that should give you a near auto win. Play around with the team, see what you like and I hope you like it!

Nidoking Bulky Offence

requested by velocities

Nidoking is a pretty cool mon, one that I think has a lot more opportunity to shine in the meta now that Dugtrio has left. I decided to go with the All-Out-Attacking set, rather than Substitute, since I already had the base for the team from WCoP and making it substitute three attack would probably need some semi-drastic changes to make it work. I hope you're okay with that and end up liking the team!

As I mentioned, I started the team with 4 attack Nidoking and from there I proceeded to add Rotom-W. Rotom-W is a fantastic partner for Nidoking, being able to give free switches via volt switches on Pokémon that Nidoking can immediately threaten with its powerful stabs and coverage; such as Clefable and grass types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, etc. It also patches up a lot of weaknesses to a lot of Nidokings common enemies in waters, grounds and ice types. Next up, I was considering adding Scizor, to work a similar roll to Rotom-W, but giving the extra resistances to threatening types like psychic and grass. I ended up going with Mega-Mawile however, as finding a spot to help handle stall later was going to be very difficult without giving up answers to other relevant threats. Mega-Mawile also appreciate the free switches Rotom-W gave and attacked as a grass and psychic resist. Latios was then introduced to role compress as a scarfer, Zard-y switch in and defogger. Mew joined the ranks as the rocker and to give a proper answer to the relevant fighting types running around. Last but now least, AV Tangrowth was added to give a proper answer to electrics (mainly Tapu Koko), Ash-Greninja, Zygarde and so on.

A threat to keep in mind when using this team is Zard-y, since the only thing out-speeding it is Latios which doesn't have recovery. Lucky with the Dugtrio ban, Zard-Y has become a lot less relevant, so it shouldn't be too bad. If it ends up bothering you, you can change Defog to Roost, put defog on Mew and place rocks on Mawile. This will keep things relatively the same in terms of performance, however I have noticed that Mawile isn't the best rocker out there unfortunately. On that note, the teams sets are fairly customisable based on what you're struggling with. You may find that you're struggling with Kartana, in which case you can switch to hp fire Tangrowth and Ice Beam mew with an alternate spread to cover Zygarde instead. Latios can opt for surf > psyshock, if you're finding that Rotom-W on its own isn't covering mons like Heatran well enough. Mawile can Opt to run Fire Fang if you're finding the lack of fire coverage hindering your ability to break cores featuring fat steels and what not.

Requesting: Psychium Z Tapu Lele

upload_2017-10-1_7-33-32.png

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Psychium Z Tapu Lele is a really cool and really powerful set in this metagame. Z Psyshock is a really strong stab that can just ohko stuff like tangrowth and has a chance to ohko 0 hp magearna with a decent role. It's usually pretty hard for me to fit this on builds because i find either specs or scarf to fit the build much better. So if anyone could build around this set specefically that would be appreciated!

+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 259-306 (86 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Description:

A very unusual and unconventional set, but with the recent releases of GSC on virtual console, Gyarados gained access to Curse, and combined with the Umbreon like bulk Mega possesses, Curse allows M.Gyarados to become a defensive booster, like Crocune... in theory at least. This set is almost certainly not its best set, however it seems very fun to me, breaking the mould of Gyarados's normal role.

I tried building this into a BO team myself, however it really didn't seem to fit, so I decided to go into a more balance/semi-stall direction but quickly realised I very much lack experience with building these play styles. But build it in to whatever play style you see fit for the set. A more offensive version with DD over Curse, but still bulky, can be built around instead if Curse seriously isn't working out.

Although GSC is released, Curse on the massive shrimp hasn't been released on Showdown, so in the meantime, I'll at least be building balance teams.

Last edited:
+

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt / Earth Power
- Lava Plume

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

Great Defensive core that provides both rocks and Defog support. EVs are taken from Smogon Pokedex so feel free to change them if they're outdated

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Stall is something that I'm interested after the Dugtrio ban. Without Dugtrio to remove a bunch of things problematic to stall, it's losing a lot of credit in the current meta (at least from what I've seen. I would like a stall team based around pursuit weavile to trap. Thanks to snowy for the team btw; I love it.

Choice Band Staraptor Bulky Offence

Requested by KuraiTenshi26

I want to start by saying, that Staraptor is a really fun Pokemon...Unfortunately fun comes at a price in this game lol. The amount of support this mon needs to probably perform is quite absurd and that sadly limits the amount of room you have to work with; which leads to holes that not even Flex Tape® can cover up. With that said, I tried my best and I think it turned out fairly well!

I decided to go with the choice band set, because i felt that blasting things away with cb reckless brave bird and double edge was going to be lot more fun then pussy ass choice scarf and I was right. I then added Magnezone, to remove Skarmory and Celesteela, which would allow me to break stall easier if I added some knock off support later on. Magnezone also acted as a blanket check to a lot of threatening mons and could form a volt-turn core to with Staraptor to keep up momentum and wear things down. Next I added mew, since I was needed defog support and a sturdy fighting resist. I thought about Latias as a more offensive alternative and a way to revive Staraptor, but i went with mew since i felt like it blanket checked a lot of threatening mons i wasn't going to be able to do later on if I went with Latias. Follow up from there, I decided to go with Mega-Diancie, since it seemed to support the team really nicely by adding more hazard control support, rocks, Pinsir rker and Magnezone abuser. I then decided to go with Keldeo, as outside of Magnezone taking 1 or 2 gren hits, I was feeling really weak to it. I also needed speed control and something a bit more sturdy than Diancie to switch into Heatran. I opted for rest on Keldeo, because odds are you're going to be using it as your water/fire switch in more than once, so having a way to keep it as a switch in seemed very appealing. Lastly, Landorus-T was added to the team to give an extra presence verses stall and remove/chip mons that Staraptor doesn't appreciate.

Like i mentioned at the start, this team is not perfect and is stretched apart to not only give all the support Staraptor need, but also to have a way to deal with most threats. This leaves you open to a lot of things just punching holes through the team if you don't play carefully, such as Marowak which gains two free switches on both mag and mew. Rain is also a massive issue, since your only water resist is Keldeo. I generally think though, that if you find the teams threats early game and execute a plan to remove them before it's to late, you should be able to win most MU's (Rain might be a stretch though lol).

There are few alternatives and changes you can make to the team, such as the before mentioned HW Latias > Mew, which supports Staraptor a bit better, but not the team as a whole. Greninja can be used over Keldeo if you're not a fan of the team looking straight out of ORAS, but I generally found Keldeo bulk to be appreciated verse Heatran and Greninja.You can probably get away with running Rocks > SD on Landorus-T if you want to opt for a different 4th Move on Diancie, but I generally found that it didn't need the extra coverage thanks to Magnezone. Anyway, give the team a whirl, see what works best for you and I hope you have as much fun as I did piloting the bird!

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
requesting cb hoopa+cm sg mag, seems cool especially since duggys gone. im a fan of more offensive teams and these 2 seems to work nicely together.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Magearna @ Leftovers / Metronome
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Hayburner

WHAT A POGGER CURRY!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
-------------

Z Thunder Reuniclus + Mega Lopunny
Requested by IQMathlete
http://pokepast.es/fb3c3e4e4f98e35b

As you can see, I strayed a bit from the original concept with the Reuniclus set, mostly because I found that set too passive and needed much more support to work. The set and spread that I chose courtesy of a suggestion from Career Ended, who helped build this team, let's Reuniclus blow past both Toxapex and Celesteela with minimal boosts, which supports Mega Lopunny clean up late game. Z Thunder is also nice for hitting Greninja on switchin, or a Tapu Fini that tries to taunt to prevent set up, as well as provides good neutral coverage against Mega Sableye, Heatran and more. Next up I chose choice scarf Kartana because of reuniclus luring celesteela, making kartana a great scarfer with its ability to snowball after its biggest counter goes down. At this point, the team would struggle against Mega Scizor, Ash Greninja and lacked a solid wall breaker. I went with choice specs Keldeo in this slot to add a water resist and somewhat bulky wallbreaker that beat the above mons mentioned. After adding keldeo, I wanted a steel type, and a pivot to help get in the breakers on the team, so assault vest Magearna fit very well. For the last slot, I lacked a ground resist and a stealth rocker, so defensive Landorus T was an easy choice which formed a nice volt turn core with Magearna as well.

As of now, I haven't found any matchups that were completely unwinnable and the team has the tools to deal with almost all threats in the metagame. The toughest matchup I've found would probably be Mega Pinsir webs, but webs are fairly uncommon at this point anyways. Mega Pinsir in general is a tough matchup, but can be pressured with hazards and avoid letting it set up. Charizard Y can be troublesome as well, but can be played around with Keldeo and Lopunny. Some variations that can be used include hidden power poison over hidden power electric on Keldeo if you are worried about Tapu Bulu, or either ice punch or fake out over encore on Mega Lopunny but I personally much prefer encore to provide opportunities to set up with power-up punch. Despite not being the original set posted, I hope you enjoy the team, building with Reuniclus certainly was rather fun.

Last edited:
requesting Z-Move Bisharp + M-Medicham

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Description:
I always liked Bisharp as a pokemon, and Z moves made it quite a bit stronger, at least in my own opinion. The premise of the core is to hit as hard as possible and break as much as it can, Bisharp punishes defoggers and Medicham punishes switches, Z move on Bisharp allows it to ko many walls that'd otherwise status or even ko it, making it more reliable to use. Medicham is running its standard, telepathy is just a habit to beat Ditto's in the odd situation, Fake Out/ HJK / Zen is normal and then I had both the elemental punches slashed as it would probably come down to the team as to what is chosen. I feel like Bisharp and Medicham work rather well together as Medicham rather easily weakens a lot of the meta, allowing for Bisharp to easily clean consistently, while Bisharp can use Knock Off and its typing to remove things Medicham would otherwise be threatened by.

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 271-319 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Sableye-Mega: 364-430 (120.1 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 382-450 (95.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Considering that Chandelure is basically outclassed by Gengar now, I actually want to change my request to the following:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt / Hidden Power Ground

Yeah, I know it's unranked bc it has 0 niche, but while laddering I actually noticed that quite a few balance / BO builds were weak to this thing, especially at +2. The last move should probably be Taunt, but if the team is too weak vs things like Diancie, Heatran, and TTar, then HP Ground helps. I figured it might be fun to just try and screw around with it. Thanks to whichever brave soul takes on this challenge

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake

Lax is a mon I feel has a lot of hidden potential in this meta. Safely switches into stuff like diancie, taunt tran, protean ninja, etc, while also having the potential to sweep in the right matchup. I think balance would probably fit lax best, so that's the playstyle I'd prefer.

Choice Band Hoopa-U Bulky Offence
ft. AV Magearna

Requested by The Excadrill

As you can see from the tittle, I ended up changing the Magearna set. I did this because the team needed some form of defensive utility and because I think it compliments Hoopa well with volt switch; as it free switches on Celesteela, Venusuar, Amoonguss, Magearna etc and allow you to put your opponent on the back-foot. You can probably get away with other sets (which ill go into more detail on later), but I don't think the set you requested provides the best utility for Hoopa and for this specific team. Sorry if that's not what you wanted, but your free to change the sets to your liking anyway, just keep in mind that it may not function as well.

After starting with core, I wanted to add a Pokemon that could reliably check Koko and absorb knock offs, both of which are very annoying for the core. Venusuar seemed like a perfect pick, because it did just that and blanket checked a ton of annoyances. Leech seed was also super nice for giving both Hoopa and Magearna a bit more longevity and making Hoopa's time switching into things a lot better, so it has more opportunities to put in work. After that, I noticed I struggled a lot with physical threats, especially ground types, Marowak, Zard x etc. I went with Landorus-T because it patched up these things, gave me rocks and made a nice volt-turn core allowing me to abuse Hoopa more. I went with RH > Leftovers because it helped wear/take down threatening physical threats like Hawlucha, Medicham, Loppuny, Mimikyu etc. Latios was added next, as I wanted Defog support to deal with broken spikes and a Fire Resist. I opted for Z-thunder to smack Celesteela, mantine, Zard-Y, Fini etc. In hindsight, I think surf > Thunder is better, with either waterium or psychic, as to better handle Zard-Y+Tar teams that seem to be on the rise and because both Excadrill and Heatran are popping in the meta rn. Unfortunately I havent gotten the chance to test the set, but I would recommend giving it ago if you're not feeling Z-Thunder. Lastly, I added Keldeo, as I was lacking speed control and Pokemon like Heatran, Bisharp, Volcarona etc were looking scary.

The team is fairly solid overall from the few tests I was able to do, but it does have its weaknesses like any other team. Stall with pursuit support is a big one, because my main way of break through is with Hoopa, which would just end up getting trapped and killed after claiming one life. Veil is the other annoyance for the team, as I really can't stop a A-Ninetails lead from getting up Veil, putting something to sleep and then switching next turn for a free set up. A well played Volcarona can be quite scary, as if they fire off attacks and I'm unable to get rocks up, Keldeo will eventually get worn down and I wont have any way to stop it from getting a kill/sweeping. Mew is annoying, since your best way of removing it in Hoopa, cant safely switch in without the fear of being burned or Mew just being faster and burning you before you get off an attack. From experience, this is just a patience things and as long as you plan it out, you can quite easily win anyway Mew match up, so not a big deal.

There are a few alternatives you can make to the team, like the before mentioned surf >thunder on Latios, with a choice in z-Surf or Z-Psychic as replacement Z-moves. There's also Pain Split CM Magearna, which would drastically improve the stall Match Up, but at the same time would cut out a lot of the benefits of AV. You can also opt for Heart Swap Magearna, which helps out with the Veil issue and provides similar utility to AV, just with less tanking capabilities and offensive options. If you're a fan of spikes, there's potential to run Greninja > Keldeo and Make Latios Scarf, this will probably make your time with Mew a lot easier and give you the ability to wear teams down quickly. The downside is you'd probably auto lose to fat spike stacking teams with Clefable/Celesteela/Toxapex etc because there not as effected by spikes as you and would wear you down faster. There's potential to run Defog on the scarf Latios to help with this, but you'd be giving up roost, which makes your match up verse Heatran and Zard-Y. Calm Mind Keldeo with Z-Move of your choosing is also practical, you'd just have to make the Latios Scarf. Anyway, mess around with the team, see what suits you and I hope you like it!

Zygarde + toxic spikes

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 172 HP / 152 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows

This zygarde set is a variation of one I saw a bit ago on a team with two suicide leads. I'm requesting this plus toxic spikes, a combination I really like using. Thanks in advance.

Hello! I am a pretty crap teambuilder, so requesting a team around these two

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Scizor takes all the fairy type moves which Kyurem hates, provide defog support and helps to bring him out with U-turn. Kyurem in turn can remove magnezone or ferrothorn for scizor. It's up to the builder to choose the mons, but koko seems like a obvious choice. Feel free to change the sets. Thanks a lot if someone takes this!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Request:

Team:

Gardevoir-Mega (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

Latios @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Hey Flygoner818! Alright so first off, Gardevoir was actually a pain in the ass to use because it couldn't kill shit and it'd miss Wisp every game (one of the few things it has over Lele), but despite it being painful, it's not entirely useless. Most of the time I actually relied on Trace (pre-mega) to get abilities like Regenerator and Flash Fire, so when using Gardevoir, there's always a chance you won't have to mega evolve immediately.

When making the team, I wanted to go with volt-turn to get Gardevoir in and then because Wisp can help wear down Steel types, namely Magearna and Celesteela, I wanted to use offensive mons that could work with Gardevoir in overloading those steel types or other defensive answers. I went with defensive Lando-T to provide Stealth Rock and provide U-turn and the EV spread has enough speed to outspeed Shift Gear Magearna and then maximizes defense. Koko was actually the last member to be added (had a Zapdos at first to act as a Celesteela answer) and Koko also helps with Mega Pinsir, Celesteela and Scarf was run to help against Volcarona. EV spread outspeeds Greninja (scarf set) and Brave Bird will either KO Volcarona or put it in range for Water Shuriken to kill. AV Magearna switches into a ton of threats and provides more momentum. Ash Greninja was added to help wear down mons like Magearna and Rocks/Spikes + Wisp + damage from switching in usually does a good job of putting things in KO range for either Greninja or Gardevoir. Latios was the final member to help with another option to kill Mega Venusaur, provide a water resist, help break down special walls physically (Psyshock), and improve the stall matchup.

Things to watch out for:

Tapu Koko - Use Lando whenever you're confident they won't click HP Ice; Otherwise Latios and Magearna can help out
Ash Greninja - Use Latios + Magearna
Rain - If Gardevoir can trace Drizzle, it'll only be 5 turns. You can also try to Trace Swift Swim on Swampert and burn it, but otherwise it's gonna be a major pain
Mega Lopunny - If it has Ice Punch and lando gets bopped, then you can hope Magearna can tank or dodge HJK and try to rely on hazards if possible to wear it down to be in Shuriken range. This one's definitely the biggest threat, so be careful when facing it.
Tapu Bulu - Burn it with Gardevoir or try to rely on Latios if possible.

Advice about the team:

Most of the time you can burn nearly everything with Gardevoir, so if possible, go for that and there's times where people will have Bulu or even Lando stay in to KO you and then you're able to cripple them with a burn and handle them more easily later on in the game. Don't be afraid to click Spikes whenever you can with Greninja. It works best when you're able to force out an opponent, especially slower mons like Lando and Heatran. You'll probably have to play a bit more aggressively than usual, but once you're able to get Gardevoir in or your hazards up or their defensive mons worn down, you'll be set.

Hope you like the team :toast:

Request:

Team:

Gardevoir-Mega (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

Latios @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Hey Flygoner818! Alright so first off, Gardevoir was actually a pain in the ass to use because it couldn't kill shit and it'd miss Wisp every game (one of the few things it has over Lele), but despite it being painful, it's not entirely useless. Most of the time I actually relied on Trace (pre-mega) to get abilities like Regenerator and Flash Fire, so when using Gardevoir, there's always a chance you won't have to mega evolve immediately.

When making the team, I wanted to go with volt-turn to get Gardevoir in and then because Wisp can help wear down Steel types, namely Magearna and Celesteela, I wanted to use offensive mons that could work with Gardevoir in overloading those steel types or other defensive answers. I went with defensive Lando-T to provide Stealth Rock and provide U-turn and the EV spread has enough speed to outspeed Shift Gear Magearna and then maximizes defense. Koko was actually the last member to be added (had a Zapdos at first to act as a Celesteela answer) and Koko also helps with Mega Pinsir, Celesteela and Scarf was run to help against Volcarona. EV spread outspeeds Greninja (scarf set) and Brave Bird will either KO Volcarona or put it in range for Water Shuriken to kill. AV Magearna switches into a ton of threats and provides more momentum. Ash Greninja was added to help wear down mons like Magearna and Rocks/Spikes + Wisp + damage from switching in usually does a good job of putting things in KO range for either Greninja or Gardevoir. Latios was the final member to help with another option to kill Mega Venusaur, provide a water resist, help break down special walls physically (Psyshock), and improve the stall matchup.

Things to watch out for:

Tapu Koko - Use Lando whenever you're confident they won't click HP Ice; Otherwise Latios and Magearna can help out
Ash Greninja - Use Latios + Magearna
Rain - If Gardevoir can trace Drizzle, it'll only be 5 turns. You can also try to Trace Swift Swim on Swampert and burn it, but otherwise it's gonna be a major pain
Mega Lopunny - If it has Ice Punch and lando gets bopped, then you can hope Magearna can tank or dodge HJK and try to rely on hazards if possible to wear it down to be in Shuriken range. This one's definitely the biggest threat, so be careful when facing it.
Tapu Bulu - Burn it with Gardevoir or try to rely on Latios if possible.

Advice about the team:

Most of the time you can burn nearly everything with Gardevoir, so if possible, go for that and there's times where people will have Bulu or even Lando stay in to KO you and then you're able to cripple them with a burn and handle them more easily later on in the game. Don't be afraid to click Spikes whenever you can with Greninja. It works best when you're able to force out an opponent, especially slower mons like Lando and Heatran. You'll probably have to play a bit more aggressively than usual, but once you're able to get Gardevoir in or your hazards up or their defensive mons worn down, you'll be set.

Hope you like the team :toast:

I think I'll torture myself some more and take Mega Houndoom.
Thanks for the awesome fit. I played around with it and it's such an efficient team. It's really tempting to use Pixilate Hyper Voice, but going with WoW spam early game is super useful. I changed Koko's set to Grass Knot > Brave Bird to address the rain weakness, and I'm hoping that Gren can pitch in a little more against Volcarona.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-641982856

Last edited:
zapdos.gif
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic

Description:
Requesting this particular Zapdos set because it's pretty annoying to deal with and it can get good chip opening up other mons to be threats. It can also sub toxic stall wearing down a number of mons that like pivoting into it like tangrowth while also pp stalling with the use of pressure. Discharge is also an option over tbolt. Not sure if it's max HP but I know it's max speed timid. Thanks to whoever selects to build around this. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)