Ubers Palkia

[OVERVIEW]

Palkia's excellent base 150 Special Attack stat along with the ability to viably run a Modest nature makes it hard for anything to switch into it. Its access to Z-Heal Block also allows Palkia to pose a very menacing threat to defensive walls. It sports a solid offensive typing that allows it to hit a wide array of Pokemon, which is further boosted by its large coverage, with access to moves such as Fire Blast and Thunder. Defensively, Palkia is able to switch into most Steel-types like Solgaleo, as well as Primal Kyogre. However, Palkia sits at a very average Speed tier with a Modest nature, leaving it vulnerable to faster Pokemon, which can whittle it down or KO it. As such, Palkia's main usage should be on Sticky Web-oriented teams. It also only gets one chance to set up, as Z-Heal Block can only be used once per battle.

[SET]
name: Z-Move Sweeper
move 1: Heal Block
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Spacial Rend
move 4: Fire Blast / Thunder
item: Psychium Z
ability: Pressure
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Heal Block can be powered up into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack to monstrous levels. It can also be used to prevent recovery on Pokemon like Ho-Oh and bulky Arceus formes, though it must be noted that Regenerator will still take effect after Heal Block. Hydro Pump is a very powerful STAB move that can OHKO bulky Arceus formes after Stealth Rock at +2. Spacial Rend is a reliable, powerful Dragon-type STAB move that helps Palkia take down Dragon-type Pokemon such as Zygarde-C and also allows Palkia to deal with Primal Groudon, which resists or is immune to all of Palkia's other attacks, as any set that is not defensive will fall to a +2 Spacial Rend. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn, which resists all of Palkia's other attacks, and also OHKOes Magearna at +2. Thunder is notable for having a high chance to OHKO Primal Kyogre at +2, but it doesn't accomplish much else.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Special Attack with a Modest nature takes advantage of Palkia's offensive prowess. Maximum investment in Speed allows Palkia to outspeed threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, and Modest Xerneas prior to Geomancy. A Modest nature allows Palkia to achieve key benchmarks such as OHKOs on maximum HP Arceus after Stealth Rock — however, a Timid nature notably allows Palkia to outspeed maximum Speed base 90s such as Primal Kyogre as well as Speed tie with maximum Speed base 100s such as Mega Kangaskhan. Timid should be used on non-Sticky Web teams, but Palkia should only be used on Sticky Web since it's the only environnment where it excels. Psychium Z is mandatory to power up Heal Block into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack by +2.

Usage Tips
========

Palkia can usually switch directly into Pokemon it beats such as Primal Kyogre and Solgaleo and then set up Z-Heal Block on the switch. Offensive teams spell doom for Palkia, as they are filled with faster Pokemon such as Mega Salamence and Marshadow that can OHKO it most of the time. Thus, it's better just to soften up the opponent's team for a late-game sweep rather than set up Z-Heal Block right away. Before you use Z-Heal Block, the sets of opposing Pokemon should be scouted first, as a surprise Choice Scarf Xerneas or Arceus-Fairy can be troublesome for Palkia. Finally, against passive defensive walls like Blissey or Chansey, Palkia should use regular Heal Block and then switch out so as to prevent them from using their recovery, as Palkia cannot deal much damage to specially defensive walls.

Team Options
========

Sticky Web support from Pokemon like Shuckle and Smeargle is a huge help to Palkia, as ideally Palkia would want to move before the opposing Pokemon, since otherwise it can be KOed or whittled down. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Arceus-Fairy, and Primal Groudon help Palkia break walls such as defensive Arceus formes more easily; Primal Groudon in particular is a great teammate for Palkia, as it can take Fairy-type attacks for it as well as set up Stealth Rock. Sweepers such as Swords Dance Primal Groudon and Geomancy Xerneas can soften up the opposing team for Palkia to clean up later. Fairy-types like Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas appreciate Palkia's ability to get past most Fairy-type checks such as Solgaleo and non-defensive Primal Groudon. Ghost-types like Lunala and Arceus-Ghost are incredibly useful for Palkia, as they prevent Sticky Web from being removed by Rapid Spin thanks to their Normal-type immunity. Finally, Mega Lucario beats the Fairy-types that Palkia fears, while in return Palkia takes care of Fire- and Ground-types like Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Substitute eases prediction and can be used when Palkia forces a foe out. It also allows Palkia to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Arceus-Water, but running it makes Palkia sacrifice one of its coverage moves, leaving it open to being taken advantage of by Pokemon like Dialga and Xerneas. A bulky Leftovers set with Spacial Rend, Toxic, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump or Dragon Tail allows Palkia to be a consistent Primal Kyogre pivot while still retaining some offensive presence. Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it is somewhat matchup based, since if your opponent does not carry either a Blissey or a Chansey, a moveslot that could go to a more useful coverage move such as Fire Blast is effectively wasted. An all-out attacking set using Life Orb gives more power at the cost of flexibility; however, as Palkia can't effectively force switches against stall without Heal Block, such a set would require using Focus Punch, which is a tough option to fit on a set without Psychium Z, as Palkia already has trouble with coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy can use Palkia as setup bait prior to Z-Heal Block and KO it with their STAB moves. Choice Scarf Xerneas can revenge kill Palkia with Moonblast, while Arceus-Fairy outspeeds it naturally and can use Judgment to deal with it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Mega Lucario, Rayquaza, and Marshadow all outspeed Palkia and can wear it down with their powerful STAB attacks. Marshadow in particular can steal Palkia's Z-Heal Block boosts with Spectral Thief, preventing it from setting up again.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Bulky Pokemon like Dialga, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre are able to come in safely if Palkia isn't at +2, and they can usually get a hit off thanks to their great bulk.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon like Blissey and Lugia can usually stall Palkia out and wear it down with Toxic.

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
not qc, just some suggestions:
In the overview I'd mention that it only gets 1 chance to truly mess up the opponent because Z moves only work once.
"Palkia is blessed with a great base 150 Special Attack stat, which is further boosted by Palkia's ability to run a Modest nature, making it hard for anything to switch in."
150 isn't great, per se, but around average for the meta.
"However, a Timid nature can be used, though there is a severe cut on power. It does notably allow Palkia to outspeed max Speed base 90s as well as speed tie with max speed base 100s."
Also, I'd remove T-Wave from OO. I see no reason why I'd ever consider using this on a mon that's meant to be a wallbreaker and is already strapped for moveslots.

not qc, just some suggestions:
In the overview I'd mention that it only gets 1 chance to truly mess up the opponent because Z moves only work once.
"Palkia is blessed with a great base 150 Special Attack stat, which is further boosted by Palkia's ability to run a Modest nature, making it hard for anything to switch in."
150 isn't great, per se, but around average for the meta.
"However, a Timid nature can be used, though there is a severe cut on power. It does notably allow Palkia to outspeed max Speed base 90s as well as speed tie with max speed base 100s."
Also, I'd remove T-Wave from OO. I see no reason why I'd ever consider using this on a mon that's meant to be a wallbreaker and is already strapped for moveslots.
Implemented, not sure what your third point was though.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it requires a lot of prediction.
To be fair, this isn't that hard to do. You can even have the blobs switch into your harmless attack (especially Blissey) and punch them while they're using Toxic on you, or supporting their team. No-one's going to Seismic Toss you straight up unless you're statused already or if they have no support things to do at the time (like Heal Bell or SR or whatever).

Also, add a Leftovers set into OO (or hell, even a set)? With Lati@s gone, Palkia is a good P Ogre pivot without having to use Supportceus or stall mons like Pex/Tentacruel/Gira. Something like Spacial Rend/Toxic/Fire Blast/Hydro Pump|Dragon Tail works pretty well imo

To be fair, this isn't that hard to do. You can even have the blobs switch into your harmless attack (especially Blissey) and punch them while they're using Toxic on you, or supporting their team. No-one's going to Seismic Toss you straight up unless you're statused already or if they have no support things to do at the time (like Heal Bell or SR or whatever).

Also, add a Leftovers set into OO (or hell, even a set)? With Lati@s gone, Palkia is a good P Ogre pivot without having to use Supportceus or stall mons like Pex/Tentacruel/Gira. Something like Spacial Rend/Toxic/Fire Blast/Hydro Pump|Dragon Tail works pretty well imo
Added the Leftovers set into OO for now, but I might move it as an actual set if QC thinks so. As for the Focus Punch point, you're right about that, but with a Modest nature, Palkia is only able to 2HKO after rocks, meaning it needs to hit it on a switch. Going for a Rash nature only gives Palkia a 25% chance to OHKO after rocks. It has to run a Naughty nature to have a 75% chance to OHKO after rocks, but this makes it's special moves slightly weaker. Plus, it'd have to take points out of Speed or Special Attack and invest in Attack to consistantly OHKO Blissey after rocks, so really hitting it on the switch is the best way to ensure a KO since Blissey can heal off the damage. Palkia would have to Heal Block first, then go for Focus Punch, which will almost always guarantee a switch from Blissey. So like, I'm a little conflicted on how I should write it up. If you could give an idea on what I could write, I'd really appreciate it. also I love your meme sets, they're great

Palkia's typing isn't exactly amazing. It has wide coverage offensively, but a Water/Fire/Steel resist is all it really offers defensively, and its physical defense is too low to take on most Fire-type attackers properly. Palkia can switch into most Steels asides from Klefki and Magearna and force them out, not just Solgaleo.

Timid nature should be noted as the primary nature if trying to use Palkia outside of Sticky Web teams. Not that its a good idea, and I'm all for pushing this as a Sticky Web only Pokemon in order to not mislead people - that is Palkia's only niche on serious teams imo.

Team Options should note more Sticky Web oriented partners, as well as Smeagle for an alternative setter. Landorus-T, Lunala, Arceus-Fairy, etc. Fairy-types in general are a good choice because of how Palkia matches up against most Fairy-type checks.

SR + Webs Shuckle faces difficulty to get down both hazards, so typically a SR setter is needed anyway. I noted some already.

Ice Beam should be removed from OO - this would never fit on a set nor does it have notable targets. Substitute has the niche of avoiding Toxic from things like Arceus-Water if its slowed down.

Faster Pokemon should be moved up in C&C above Defensive Pokemon and be thoroughly expanded on. There are many Pokemon in the tier that can take Palkia down if Palkia is unable to take them down first. This is the main reason why it is relegated to Sticky Webs usage only.

Bulky Pokemon in general should have a C&C section. Things like Dialga, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre are capable of getting damage on Palkia if they come in safely and Palkia isn't +2.

I'll stamp after I see the changes.

Palkia's typing isn't exactly amazing. It has wide coverage offensively, but a Water/Fire/Steel resist is all it really offers defensively, and its physical defense is too low to take on most Fire-type attackers properly. Palkia can switch into most Steels asides from Klefki and Magearna and force them out, not just Solgaleo.

Timid nature should be noted as the primary nature if trying to use Palkia outside of Sticky Web teams. Not that its a good idea, and I'm all for pushing this as a Sticky Web only Pokemon in order to not mislead people - that is Palkia's only niche on serious teams imo.

Team Options should note more Sticky Web oriented partners, as well as Smeagle for an alternative setter. Landorus-T, Lunala, Arceus-Fairy, etc. Fairy-types in general are a good choice because of how Palkia matches up against most Fairy-type checks.

SR + Webs Shuckle faces difficulty to get down both hazards, so typically a SR setter is needed anyway. I noted some already.

Ice Beam should be removed from OO - this would never fit on a set nor does it have notable targets. Substitute has the niche of avoiding Toxic from things like Arceus-Water if its slowed down.

Faster Pokemon should be moved up in C&C above Defensive Pokemon and be thoroughly expanded on. There are many Pokemon in the tier that can take Palkia down if Palkia is unable to take them down first. This is the main reason why it is relegated to Sticky Webs usage only.

Bulky Pokemon in general should have a C&C section. Things like Dialga, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre are capable of getting damage on Palkia if they come in safely and Palkia isn't +2.

I'll stamp after I see the changes.
Implemented, wanted to know one thing though:

Can you name a few? I couldn't think of any.

Pretty much anything above Palkia's Speed tier counts as a revenge killer, check out the speed tiers thread in the main forum if you need ideas.

The set name should probably change to something shorter. Joke names are harder to get away with due to the PS calculator taking names from the Smogon Dex, which means you get things that look kinda silly on the calc:

Just go with "z-move sweeper" or something.

Change things like saying "on Sticky Web" to "with Sticky Web support", it reads way better.

Lunala and Landorus-T aren't exactly "sweepers" in my eyes, which I see noted in Team Options. On webs they are more wallbreaker oriented. Mega Lucario, SD/RP Groudon, Geomancy Xerneas are better options here.

Sub should be #1 in OO.

QC 1/3

Pretty much anything above Palkia's Speed tier counts as a revenge killer, check out the speed tiers thread in the main forum if you need ideas.

The set name should probably change to something shorter. Joke names are harder to get away with due to the PS calculator taking names from the Smogon Dex, which means you get things that look kinda silly on the calc:

Just go with "z-move sweeper" or something.

Change things like saying "on Sticky Web" to "with Sticky Web support", it reads way better.

Lunala and Landorus-T aren't exactly "sweepers" in my eyes, which I see noted in Team Options. On webs they are more wallbreaker oriented. Mega Lucario, SD/RP Groudon, Geomancy Xerneas are better options here.

Sub should be #1 in OO.

QC 1/3
Implemented.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For OO: can mention using Life Orb with 4 Attacks for more power at the cost of flexibility. Such a set would need Focus Punch to take on stall as you can't beat Blissey otherwise.

QC 2/3

Overview said:
However, Palkia sits at a very average speed tier, leaving it weak to faster Pokemon, which can widdle it down or KO it.
Last I checked, most Pokemon in Ubers sit in the base 90s, and there really aren't any other Pokemon with a base 100 Speed (Kanga doesn't count, you pretty much never see it). Of course, Palkia falls into that horrible range when running Modest, so maybe just clarify that by adding 'when Modest'.
OO said:
Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it requires a lot of prediction.
You could also simply wait and lull the opponent into complacency while getting the tiny chip required to consistantly KO, and then use the move. That's not extremely prediction-reliant to me. A bigger issue is that Focus Punch is really matchup-based, since if the opponent doesn't have a Chansey or Blissey you effectively just wasted a potentially useful moveslot.

Written up! Apologies for the delay.

Last I checked, most Pokemon in Ubers sit in the base 90s, and there really aren't any other Pokemon with a base 100 Speed (Kanga doesn't count, you pretty much never see it). Of course, Palkia falls into that horrible range when running Modest, so maybe just clarify that by adding 'when Modest'.
You could also simply wait and lull the opponent into complacency while getting the tiny chip required to consistantly KO, and then use the move. That's not extremely prediction-reliant to me. A bigger issue is that Focus Punch is really matchup-based, since if the opponent doesn't have a Chansey or Blissey you effectively just wasted a potentially useful moveslot.
Implemented this :)

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

QC: Nayrz / Fireburn / c
GP: a / b
[OVERVIEW]

Palkia's excellent base 150 Special Attack stat, along with Palkia being able to viably run a Modest nature makes it hard for anything to switch into it. Its access to Z-Heal Block also allows Palkia to pose a very menacing threat to defensive walls. It sports a solid offensive typing that allows it to hit a wide array of Pokemon, which is further boosted by it's large coverage. Defensively, Palkia is able to switch into most Steel-types like Solgaleo, as well as Primal Kyogre. However, Palkia sits at a very average speed tier with a Modest nature, leaving it weak to faster Pokemon, which can widdle it down or KO it. It also only gets one chance to set up, as Z-Moves can only be used once per battle.
(Nayrz already stated how Palkia should be written about as a Sticky Webs pokemon yet the overview doesn't seem to reflect that. Add atleast one or two sentences that will stress this.)
[SET]
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Heal Block can be powered up into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack to monstrous levels. It can also be used to prevent recovery on Pokemon like Ho-Oh and bulky Arceus formes, though it must be noted that Regenerator will still take effect after Heal Block. Hydro Pump is a very powerful STAB move that can OHKO bulky Arceus formes after Stealth Rock at +2. Spacial Rend is a reliable, powerful STAB move that also has a high critical hit ratio, which can prove useful against Pokemon that it just comes short of KOing [Instead of mentioning this, write that it allows Palkia to deal with Primal Groudon as any set other than support gets OHKOed at +2. Dragon Stab lets Palkia check other threats too, note one or two here]. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn, who resists all of Palkia's other attacks, while also OHKOing Magearna at +2. Thunder can be used against Primal Kyogre, but it's shaky accuracy can be troublesome against non-Kyogre opponents. [The only other threats for which Palkia can hit with Thunder would be Arceus-Flying and Arceus-Water- both can be dealt with by Spacial Rend. Lugia however, is a possible target as +2 Thunder is a guranteed OHKO after SR. In this scenario though, Hydro Pump has almost the same chances (after factoring in accuracy) of OHKOing Lugia. Basically, Thunder is only good for OHKOing Primal Kyogre so the words in bold are inappropriate.]

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Special Attack with a Modest nature takes advantage of Palkia's offensive power. Maximum investment in Speed allows Palkia to outspeed threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre and Modest Xerneas prior to a Geomancy. A Modest nature allows Palkia to achieve key benchmarks such as OHKOing max HP Arceus after Stealth Rock - however, a Timid nature can be used, though there is a severe cut on power. It notably allows Palkia to outspeed max Speed base 90s as well as speed tie with max speed base 100s, such as Primal Kyogre and Mega Kangaskhan, respectively. Timid should be used on non-Sticky Web teams, however Palkia should only be used with Sticky Web support. Psychium Z is mandatory to power up Heal Block into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack by +2.

Usage Tips
========

Palkia can usually switch in directly to Pokemon it beats such as Primal Kyogre and Solgaleo, then get a chance to set up Z-Heal Block on the switch. Offensive teams spell doom for Palkia, as they are filled with faster Pokemon that can OHKO it most of the time. As such, it's better just to soften up the opponent's team for a late-game sweep, rather than set up Z-Heal Block right away. Before using Z-Heal Block, the sets of opposing Pokemon should be scouted first, as a Choice Scarf Xerneas or an Arceus-Fairy can be troublesome for Palkia. Finally, against passive defensive walls like Blissey or Chansey, you should use Heal Block, then switch out as to prevent them from using their recovery.

Team Options
========

Sticky Web support from Pokemon like Shuckle or Smeargle is a huge help to Palkia, as ideally it would want to go first. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-Therian and Primal Groudon [ Add Arceus-Fairy here as well] help Palkia break walls easier, such as defensive Arceus formes. Primal Groudon in particular is a great teammate for Palkia, as it can take the Fairy-type attacks for it as well as set up Stealth Rock. Sweepers such as Swords Dance Primal Groudon and Xerneas can soften up the opposing team for Palkia to clean up later. Fairy-types like Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas appreciate Palkia's ability to get past most Fairy-type checks (give examples). Paralysis support from Klefki and Giratina-O help Palkia break walls more efficiently, as Palkia can usually have an easy time beating a team if it is faster than the opponent. [I have never seen neither Klefki nor Giratina-O in a sticky webs team. Sticky Web teams already have speed control options. Instead, note a few threats here. Mega Lucario is a great teammate here. Ghost-types are almost staple in Sticky Web teams so mention a few here. While writing about them, make sure you explain why they are good partners for each other.]

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Substitute eases prediction on switches and also allows Palkia to be immune to Toxic from Pokemon like Arceus-Water, but Palkia has to sacrifice one of it's coverage moves, which it cannot afford to do. A bulky Leftovers set with Spacial Rend, Toxic, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump or Dragon Tail allows Palkia to be a good Primal Kyogre pivot while still posing some offensive presence. Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it is somewhat matchup based since if your opponent does not carry a Blissey nor a Chansey, a moveslot is effectively wasted, which could go to a more useful coverage move. An all-out attacking set using Life Orb gives more power at the cost of flexibility - however, a set like this would require using Focus Punch, as Palkia can't effectively force switches against stall without Heal Block.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy can use Palkia as set up bait prior to a Z-Heal Block and KO it with their STAB moves. Choice Scarf Xerneas can revenge kill it with Moonblast, while Arceus-Fairy outspeeds it naturally and can use Judgement to deal with it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Mega Lucario, Rayquaza and Marshadow all outspeed Palkia and can wear it down with their powerful STAB attacks. Marshadow in particular can steal Palkia's Z-Heal Block boosts with Spectral Thief, preventing it from setting up again.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Bulky Pokemon like Dialga, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre are able to come in safely if Palkia isn't at +2, and can usually get a hit off thanks to their great bulk.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon like Blissey and Lugia can usually stall Palkia out and wear it down with Toxic. Ideally, Palkia should Heal Block without Z-Powering in this scenario, then switch out to prevent them from using Soft-Boiled and Roost, respectively.
The parts of the analysis that I find questionable are bolded and in red. Comment in brackets right beside them.

I will take another look after you implemented the changes.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
**Defensive Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon like Blissey and Lugia can usually stall Palkia out and wear it down with Toxic. Ideally, Palkia should Heal Block without Z-Powering in this scenario, then switch out to prevent them from using Soft-Boiled and Roost, respectively.
Remove this and add it under Usage Tips. Implement this for QC 3/3

[OVERVIEW]

Palkia's excellent base 150 Special Attack stat, (RC) along with Palkia being able the ability to viably run a Modest nature makes it hard for anything to switch into it. Its access to Z-Heal Block also allows Palkia to pose a very menacing threat to defensive walls. It sports a solid offensive typing that allows it to hit a wide array of Pokemon, which is further boosted by it's large coverage (give examples; mention things like Fire Blast and Thunder. Actually, after looking at the analysis, you really only mention two moves while only putting emphasis on one of them. Is that really a 'large coverage'? I suppose there's also Earth Power, Focus Blast, and Power Gem, but you don't mention any of those anywhere in the analysis....). Defensively, Palkia is able to switch into most Steel-types like Solgaleo, as well as Primal Kyogre. However, Palkia sits at a very average Speed tier with a Modest nature, leaving it weak vulnerable (it doesn't necessarily have a type disadvantage) to faster Pokemon, which can widdle whittle it down or KO it. That means As such, Palkia's main usage should be on Sticky Web-oriented teams. It also only gets one chance to set up, as Z-Moves Z-Heal Block can only be used once per battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Heal Block can be powered up into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack to monstrous levels. It can also be used to prevent recovery on Pokemon like Ho-Oh and bulky Arceus formes, though it must be noted that Regenerator will still take effect after Heal Block. Hydro Pump is a very powerful STAB move that can OHKO bulky Arceus formes after Stealth Rock at +2. Spacial Rend is a reliable, powerful Dragon-type STAB move that helps Palkia take down Dragon-type Pokemon such as Zygarde-C and also allows Palkia to deal with Primal Groudon who would, which resists or is immune to all of Palkia's other attacks, as any set that is not defensive will fall to a +2 Spacial Rend. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn, who which resists all of Palkia's other attacks, while also OHKOing Magearna at +2. Thunder is notable for having a high chance to OHKO Primal Kyogre at +2, but doesn't accomplish much else.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Special Attack with a Modest nature takes advantage of Palkia's offensive power. Maximum investment in Speed allows Palkia to outspeed threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, (AC) and Modest Xerneas prior to a Geomancy. A Modest nature allows Palkia to achieve key benchmarks such as OHKOings on max HP Arceus after Stealth Rock - however, a Timid nature can be used, though there is a severe cut on power. It notably allows Palkia to outspeed max Speed base 90s as well as Speed tie with max Speed base 100s, (RC) such as Primal Kyogre and Mega Kangaskhan, respectively. Timid should be used on non-Sticky Web teams, (RC); (ASC) however, (AC) Palkia should only be used with Sticky Web support (why?). Psychium Z is mandatory to power up Heal Block into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack by +2.

Usage Tips
========

Palkia can usually switch in directly into Pokemon it beats such as Primal Kyogre and Solgaleo, then get a chance to and then set up Z-Heal Block on the switch. Offensive teams spell doom for Palkia, as they are filled with faster Pokemon (such as...) that can OHKO it most of the time. As such, it's better just to soften up the opponent's team for a late-game sweep, (RC) rather than set up Z-Heal Block right away. Before using Z-Heal Block, the sets of opposing Pokemon should be scouted first, as a surprise (optional) Choice Scarf Xerneas or an Arceus-Fairy can be troublesome for Palkia. Finally, against passive defensive walls like Blissey or Chansey, you Palkia should use regular Heal Block without Z-Powering, and then switch out so as to prevent them from using their recovery (you've accounted for half of what you said here, but elaborate on the switching out part).

Team Options
========

Sticky Web support from Pokemon like Shuckle or and Smeargle is a huge help to Palkia, as ideally it Palkia would want to go first (that's sort of a weak statement. why does it want to go first?). Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-Therian, Arceus-Fairy, (AC) and Primal Groudon help Palkia break walls easier, such as defensive Arceus formes. easier; Primal Groudon in particular is a great teammate for Palkia, as it can take the Fairy-type attacks for it as well as set up Stealth Rock. Sweepers such as Swords Dance Primal Groudon and Xerneas can soften up the opposing team for Palkia to clean up later. Fairy-types like Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas appreciate Palkia's ability to get past most Fairy-type checks such as Solgaleo and non-defensive Primal Groudon. Ghost-types like Lunala and Arceus-Ghost are incredibly useful for Palkia, (AC) as they prevent Sticky Web from being removed by Rapid Spin thanks to their Normal-type immunity. Finally, Mega Lucario beats the Fairy-types that Palkia fears, while in return, (RC) Palkia takes care of Fire- and Ground-types like Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Substitute eases prediction on switches (wait, how? there is no way for Palkia to switch in with a Substitute already up) and also allows Palkia to be immune to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Arceus-Water, but running it makes Palkia has to sacrifice one of it's coverage moves, which it cannot afford to do leaving it open to being taken advantage of by Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Magearna (if I read the analysis correctly, those were the two Pokemon you mentioned that dictated the usage of Fire Blast, the only coverage move you really put emphasis on. Debatable statements are not optimal to have in an analysis.). A bulky Leftovers set with Spacial Rend, Toxic, Fire Blast, (AC) and Hydro Pump or Dragon Tail allows Palkia to be a good consistent ('good' is subjective) Primal Kyogre pivot while still possessing retaining some offensive presence. Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it is somewhat matchup based, (AC) since if your opponent does not carry either a Blissey nor a Chansey, a moveslot, which that could go to a more useful coverage move such as Fire Blast is effectively wasted. An all-out attacking set using Life Orb gives more power at the cost of flexibility - however; (ASC) such a set like this would require using Focus Punch (I think those two statements are related; having to use Focus Punch leaves Palkia with only 1-2 moveslots to work with), as Palkia can't effectively force switches against stall without Heal Block (you know... Palkia could technically still run Heal Block here, especially you haven't defined what moves it would run when running a Life Orb set. Why would it not be able to still run Heal Block? Heal Block / Spacial Rend / Hydro Pump / Focus Punch is feasible, especially seeing that Palkia is more free to switch into an appropriate check for Ferrothorn or even just bop it with Focus Punch, which is a 2HKO regardless of nature).

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy can use Palkia as setup bait prior to a Z-Heal Block and KO it with their STAB moves. Choice Scarf Xerneas can revenge kill it with Moonblast, while Arceus-Fairy outspeeds it Palkia naturally and can use Judgement to deal with it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Mega Lucario, Rayquaza, (AC) and Marshadow all outspeed Palkia and can wear it down with their powerful STAB attacks. Marshadow in particular can steal Palkia's Z-Heal Block boosts with Spectral Thief, preventing it from setting up again.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Bulky Pokemon like Dialga, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre are able to come in safely if Palkia isn't at +2, and can usually get a hit off thanks to their great bulk.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon like Blissey and Lugia can usually stall Palkia out and wear it down with Toxic.

Edit: fixed a formatting mark

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]

Palkia's excellent base 150 Special Attack stat, (RC) along with Palkia being able the ability to viably run a Modest nature makes it hard for anything to switch into it. Its access to Z-Heal Block also allows Palkia to pose a very menacing threat to defensive walls. It sports a solid offensive typing that allows it to hit a wide array of Pokemon, which is further boosted by it's large coverage (give examples; mention things like Fire Blast and Thunder. Actually, after looking at the analysis, you really only mention two moves while only putting emphasis on one of them. Is that really a 'large coverage'? I suppose there's also Earth Power, Focus Blast, and Power Gem, but you don't mention any of those anywhere in the analysis....). Defensively, Palkia is able to switch into most Steel-types like Solgaleo, as well as Primal Kyogre. However, Palkia sits at a very average Speed tier with a Modest nature, leaving it weak vulnerable (it doesn't necessarily have a type disadvantage) to faster Pokemon, which can widdle whittle it down or KO it. That means As such, Palkia's main usage should be on Sticky Web-oriented teams. It also only gets one chance to set up, as Z-Moves Z-Heal Block can only be used once per battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Heal Block can be powered up into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack to monstrous levels. It can also be used to prevent recovery on Pokemon like Ho-Oh and bulky Arceus formes, though it must be noted that Regenerator will still take effect after Heal Block. Hydro Pump is a very powerful STAB move that can OHKO bulky Arceus formes after Stealth Rock at +2. Spacial Rend is a reliable, powerful Dragon-type STAB move that helps Palkia take down Dragon-type Pokemon such as Zygarde-C and also allows Palkia to deal with Primal Groudon who would, which resists or is immune to all of Palkia's other attacks, as any set that is not defensive will fall to a +2 Spacial Rend. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn, who which resists all of Palkia's other attacks, while also OHKOing Magearna at +2. Thunder is notable for having a high chance to OHKO Primal Kyogre at +2, but doesn't accomplish much else.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Special Attack with a Modest nature takes advantage of Palkia's offensive power. Maximum investment in Speed allows Palkia to outspeed threats such as Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, (AC) and Modest Xerneas prior to a Geomancy. A Modest nature allows Palkia to achieve key benchmarks such as OHKOings on max HP Arceus after Stealth Rock - however, a Timid nature can be used, though there is a severe cut on power. It notably allows Palkia to outspeed max Speed base 90s as well as Speed tie with max Speed base 100s, (RC) such as Primal Kyogre and Mega Kangaskhan, respectively. Timid should be used on non-Sticky Web teams, (RC); (ASC) however, (AC) Palkia should only be used with Sticky Web support (why?). Psychium Z is mandatory to power up Heal Block into Z-Heal Block, which boosts Palkia's Special Attack by +2.

Usage Tips
========

Palkia can usually switch in directly into Pokemon it beats such as Primal Kyogre and Solgaleo, then get a chance to and then set up Z-Heal Block on the switch. Offensive teams spell doom for Palkia, as they are filled with faster Pokemon (such as...) that can OHKO it most of the time. As such, it's better just to soften up the opponent's team for a late-game sweep, (RC) rather than set up Z-Heal Block right away. Before using Z-Heal Block, the sets of opposing Pokemon should be scouted first, as a surprise (optional) Choice Scarf Xerneas or an Arceus-Fairy can be troublesome for Palkia. Finally, against passive defensive walls like Blissey or Chansey, you Palkia should use regular Heal Block without Z-Powering, and then switch out so as to prevent them from using their recovery (you've accounted for half of what you said here, but elaborate on the switching out part).

Team Options
========

Sticky Web support from Pokemon like Shuckle or and Smeargle is a huge help to Palkia, as ideally it Palkia would want to go first (that's sort of a weak statement. why does it want to go first?). Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-Therian, Arceus-Fairy, (AC) and Primal Groudon help Palkia break walls easier, such as defensive Arceus formes. easier; Primal Groudon in particular is a great teammate for Palkia, as it can take the Fairy-type attacks for it as well as set up Stealth Rock. Sweepers such as Swords Dance Primal Groudon and Xerneas can soften up the opposing team for Palkia to clean up later. Fairy-types like Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas appreciate Palkia's ability to get past most Fairy-type checks such as Solgaleo and non-defensive Primal Groudon. Ghost-types like Lunala and Arceus-Ghost are incredibly useful for Palkia, (AC) as they prevent Sticky Web from being removed by Rapid Spin thanks to their Normal-type immunity. Finally, Mega Lucario beats the Fairy-types that Palkia fears, while in return, (RC) Palkia takes care of Fire- and Ground-types like Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Substitute eases prediction on switches (wait, how? there is no way for Palkia to switch in with a Substitute already up) and also allows Palkia to be immune to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Arceus-Water, but running it makes Palkia has to sacrifice one of it's coverage moves, which it cannot afford to do leaving it open to being taken advantage of by Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Magearna (if I read the analysis correctly, those were the two Pokemon you mentioned that dictated the usage of Fire Blast, the only coverage move you really put emphasis on. Debatable statements are not optimal to have in an analysis.). A bulky Leftovers set with Spacial Rend, Toxic, Fire Blast, (AC) and Hydro Pump or Dragon Tail allows Palkia to be a good consistent ('good' is subjective) Primal Kyogre pivot while still possessing retaining some offensive presence. Focus Punch is an option to hit Blissey and Chansey on the switch, but it is somewhat matchup based, (AC) since if your opponent does not carry either a Blissey nor a Chansey, a moveslot, which that could go to a more useful coverage move such as Fire Blast is effectively wasted. An all-out attacking set using Life Orb gives more power at the cost of flexibility - however; (ASC) such a set like this would require using Focus Punch (I think those two statements are related; having to use Focus Punch leaves Palkia with only 1-2 moveslots to work with), as Palkia can't effectively force switches against stall without Heal Block (you know... Palkia could technically still run Heal Block here, especially you haven't defined what moves it would run when running a Life Orb set. Why would it not be able to still run Heal Block? Heal Block / Spacial Rend / Hydro Pump / Focus Punch is feasible, especially seeing that Palkia is more free to switch into an appropriate check for Ferrothorn or even just bop it with Focus Punch, which is a 2HKO regardless of nature).

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy can use Palkia as setup bait prior to a Z-Heal Block and KO it with their STAB moves. Choice Scarf Xerneas can revenge kill it with Moonblast, while Arceus-Fairy outspeeds it Palkia naturally and can use Judgement to deal with it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Rock Polish Primal Groudon, Mega Lucario, Rayquaza, (AC) and Marshadow all outspeed Palkia and can wear it down with their powerful STAB attacks. Marshadow in particular can steal Palkia's Z-Heal Block boosts with Spectral Thief, preventing it from setting up again.

Edit: fixed a formatting mark
Thank you! Implemented. One thing I want to point out:

Substitute eases prediction on switches (wait, how? there is no way for Palkia to switch in with a Substitute already up)
What I meant by this is that if you manage to force your foe to switch out, you can set up a Substitute on the switch safely. Not sure if there's another way to word it, so I left it the way it was. Could you elaborate? thanks :)

"Substitute eases prediction and can be used when Palkia forces a foe out" - p^2

Haha, thanks P. - MeepBard

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)