SM OU [Peaked #3 ☆ 2057] ♪ Was du Liebe nennst ♪

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Proof of the rank:

Introduction:

Hello community of smogon
I wanted to share with you this team which did really well on ladder. I started building around the core tyranitar & excadrill and I ended up building something REALLY similiar to an ORAS OU team built by ABR and @Omfuga. You’ll find more details in the building phase.

Team building:
My first intention was to build a balanced team around the aforementioned core tyranitar plus excadrill and I wanted to support it with a wish passer such as alomomola.

Being weak to special wallbreakers such as greninja, venusaur and charizard I added chansey to the team which also could set up rocks and spam twave.

Hazards were really annoying, especially toxic spikes and the only way for me to get rid of them was running rapid spin excadrill which I did. Although it was still hard to find the right moment to spin, which lead to the addition of M-Sableye who provided extra help with hazard control.

Next I noticed a huge weakness to physical sweepers like kartana and pinsir and I was lacking a ground immunity, skarmory fit perfectly.

After playing some games I noticed how weak I was to zygarde and lele’s psychic move. So I decided to replace alomola with slowbro which covered these two weaknesses. I could have gone for unaware clefable but I really felt like I needed that mon which could scout lele’s move.

When I got around 1700 elo I started facing a lot of kartanas, excadrill, gyarados and bisharp. Sableye was getting useless because excadrill’s mold breaker ignores magic bounce and dark types are immune to prankster. So I replaced msab with mlopunny.

I also realised that slowbro wasn’t the best counter to zygarde because it gets stalled out with toxic so I changed it for clefable.

The team was getting to passive and ferrothorn walled my entire team. Also kartana was still scary for the team so I decided to add Zapdos.

Rain was looking scary and that made me to change chansey for tangrowth which also counters ferrothorn. It’s also cool having a mon that always gets rid of the opponent’s items thanks to knock off. Also I noticed that zapdos wasn’t a reliable check to landorus, kartana or pinsir because the rocks deal 25%, So I went back to skarmory.

Some replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-678846459
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-678872581
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679708857
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-678890186
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679128589
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679464100
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679706896
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679296235
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-678887799
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679321387
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-679471291

Team Breakdown:

The Cratez (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
Top tier in almost every gen. This mon has been strong since it came out.
Sand chips away a lot of mons and gives that 50% Sp. Def. boost that ttar appreciates. This counters blacephalon, boltbeam magearna, latwins and traps so many things. This also checks mmawile (ttar outspeeds and ohkos with eq), av magearna (same story as mawile), heatran, mantine, venusaur, reuniclus, scarf lele etc. (eats a moonblast and blows away with crunch). Being this my only sandstorm summoner I always try to keep it alive even if it’s at 1% of its health.

Bausa (Lopunny-Mega) (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack
The next mon up is, in my opinion, one of the best mega evolution in the metagame. Due to it’s speed it always outspeeds unboosted pokemon and hits effectively all the walls. I honestly didn’t expect that Fake out & Quick attack would have been so good. Unfortunately they are only useful against offense oriented teams.

Jugglerz (Excadrill) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
This is my sandstorm abuser. Exca is a really good revenge killer and a reliable late-game sweeper being one of the fastest mon in the tier while sand’s up. Due to it evs in hp it always gets maximum hp recovery by lefties which are good for the longevity. Sword dance allows to break throught the bulkier teams (i.e. 1v1 against chansey). Jolly nature to outspeed heatran and modest specs lele. Rapid spin is for hazard control and you can trust me when I say that there are many occasions for spinning.

Miami Yacine (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 208 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
Tangrowth is fundamental for this team. It has really good synergy with clefable, because even if they are low they both together can take on greninja ash. Also if heatran is paralyzed tang can easily beat it with eq. This also has good synergy with skarm because they both together can counter rain teams and make pillaring against zygarde. You can go into this to scout lele’s set and move. The best part of tang is that you are always knocking off your opponent’s item. The spread is stolen by smogon.

Xen vo dietike (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
The pink mon isn’t so good as it was in oras but it’s still useful. Clef is my rocker and spams the yellow colour move which the whole team appreciates. My team has no other status moves so really, feel free to spam twave, even against celesteela, skarm or toxapex. Keep in mind that this is my main check to zygarde.

Bushido (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
Skarm is probably the best phazer for physical sweepers. Rocky helmet punishes all type of physical moves, especially u-turn. Also spikes together with the stealth rocks make a lot of pressure to the opposing teams. Brave bird hits hard due to its high BP and is fundamental on skarm for the following reasons: after two brave bird it puts gyarados mega in range of lopunny’s fakeout+quickattack (without intimidate), it breaks kartana’s sub, it ohkos volcarona and almost ko’s pinsir-mega.

Threats:

• Heatran: If you paralyze this on the switch it’s not a threat anymore. Otherways you have to double with tang or trap/ kill it with band tar (pro tipp: they always stay in with heatran)
  • Tapu Lele: scout first its set with tangrowth. They will probably use moonblast. If it’s scarf you can trap it later on with ttar (click crunch) but if it’s specs you can go excadrill only once. You can only revenge kill the specs set.
  • Zapdos: go ttar and sedge. This mon is a big issue
  • Hawlucha: your switch is skarmory. You will click whirlwind after that, but if you feel like you don’t need skarm anymore and you really want to kill hawlucha, then click bbird.
  • Kyurem-Black: if it’s z-freezy shock you will lose a mon and clefable will counter after that. If it’s orb (not used anymore tbh) it gets a bigger threat. You have to sack something and trap/ kill with ttar afterwards.
  • Charizard X/ Y: hit x. Try to paralyze him but if it doesn’t work don’t worry because you have enough revenge killers.
  • Alakazam-mega: No switch in but you can easily revenge kill with either punny or excadrill.
  • Suicune: You have to go into tang immediately, click some giga drains and then go to lopunny on the protect.
  • Kommo-o: Go to clef, immediately.
  • Weavile: Hope this doesn’t flinch. You easily revenge kills this.
Cool people:

Gross Sweep -Niko- Kebab mlml Brandon~ AnnaKartanna Oibaf Snou nightcore Sun Renny_ Close Corckscrew Lopunny Kicks, Raiza Heroic Troller Tricking DenisTheMenace AlphaWittem Culone NotFrancy Etherious Yuudai Fatalitatis NaCl Lavenderkarp MONNA LUSA LuckOverSkill The Bleeding King Cacturne Za Meowdo SamuelBestt Gondra Killua kun The Idiot Ninja Averardo coinboy MisterCantiere

Importable:
Bausa (Lopunny-Mega) (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

The Cratez (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Jugglerz (Excadrill) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Bushido (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Xen vo dietike (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Miami Yacine (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 208 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

This is the first time I’m posting an RMT so please be nice in the comment section and see you next time! :D
again shotouts to Gross Sweep for the grammar check

Last edited:
Great job explaining your building process. You created a good balance between Pokemon generally seen in stall with offensive mons. I'll have to try it out on the ladder

Great job explaining your building process. You created a good balance between Pokemon generally seen in stall with offensive mons. I'll have to try it out on the ladder
Also do you have a discord? If you had the time I have some questions about team building.

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is a really cool team. I haven't seen a sand team that I liked since the Naganadel meta. Also, congrats on the peak.

I do however have a couple of suggestions that might improve the team.

465.png --> 787.png
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth fill a similar role, taking on rain and helping against Zygarde.

Tapu Bulu however takes on Tapu Lele and Alakazam better thanks to its ability and strength.

Tangrowth switches into Tapu Lele to scout the set but can't do much back, whereas Bulu can do alot of damage with Horn Leech or just OHKO with Wood Hammer. It takes the attacks better thanks to The removal of Psychic Terrain.

If Tangrowth switches into Alakazam it gets 2HKO'd if Psychic Terrain is up and Alakazam can trace Regenarator which can make it harder to deal with. Whereas Bulu forces it out and makes it weak to priority from Lopunny again.

Grassy Terrain as a whole can help the team with recovery, but it also weakens Earthquake from Tyranitar and Excadrill which can be annoying.

(Although I don't see too many situations where you would switch into Bulu then into a pokemon that needs to click EQ before Terrain ends)

036.png
Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

This is a really small change that might come in handy against some of the threats to the team.

The given SpD allows Clefable to live a Fire Blast from Charizard Y 100% of the time so that you can get off a T-Wave.
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Clefable in Sun: 333-393 (84.5 - 99.7%)

It increases the chances of living two life orb Ice Beams from Kyurem-B.

It also increases the chances of living two Psychics from Mega Alakazam.

You could invest more SpD, but then things like Hawlucha and Weavile could get more threatening.

This was a really fun RMT to read and to rate, I hope that these suggestions are helpful if you decide to try them.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/1e03167423817ccc

~~428-m.png248.png530.png227.png036.png787.png~~​

Breezy

formerly Quaze
AidanDaBoss HQuaze#4734
feel free to contact me :]

DragonKnightmaster thanks for the rate, I appreciate the effort you’ve put in it.
While I agree with the evs change for clef, I still think tangrowth fits better in the team.
Tapu bulu would make me weaker to celesteela, ferro and scizor. Also, as you’ve already mentioned, grassy terrain weakens eq’s power. Tangrowth’s trait is the main reason why I’m keeping it. Regenerator is a better recovery than grassy terrain is.

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
How to deal with Celesteela :(
I forgot to mention it lol, but it’s actually one of the biggest threat for this team.
Steela is not used that much lately but still, you first have to paralyze it with clef, then u have to go to tang and knock his lefties off and cheap with hp fire. Ttar kills afterwards pretty easily.

Reactions: DKM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)