Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 3 - Ktutverde

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Ktütverde
Favorite Pokemon: Surskit
Most used Pokemon: Skuntank
Most known for: Winning Circuit
TJ: Hi Ktut, how are you doing today?
Ktut: Hello TJ! I’m really fine and trying to use my keyboard with a cat sleeping on my left arm. It’s a happy Sunday evening! How about you?
TJ: I'm doing well, thanks for asking! (:

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
Ktut: I’m a 20-year-old French dude living in Brittany, which makes me feel closer to the UK and the US. I’m currently having some health issues (nothing really bad), giving me more time to spend in this cheerful and wonderful community. Otherwise, I’ve been studying Quantum Physics and am kind of interested in most topics, especially Maths, Philosophy, the Anglo-Saxon culture, Music, Drawing, and Sports. I also love animals, having a walk on the seashore and singing. Like many people of my age, I don’t really know what I should choose for my future career.

TJ: Cool. What brought you to Smogon / the PU community?
Ktut: I first started playing on the ORAS OU ladder with one goal in mind: peaking above 1900 with Abomasnow semistall. I only used hail and thought that I would stop Pokémon after reaching my goal. When I reached it (not really, actually), I created a Smogon account to RMT my Hail team. Most of my time was spent making OU RMTs and rating OU teams. Unfortunately (for my free time), and fortunately for me, I discovered the small hidden wonderland that Smogon is. I got sick of OU and took a break by going to PU last year, from where I haven’t been able to escape because PU people are so nice, chill, and the tier has something about it that fascinates me.
TJ: I'm glad that you choose to stick with PU (:

TJ: How did you get your username?
Ktut: When I first created an account on PS!, I didn’t know what to put and chose the oldest word I could remember having said in my life: the name of my comfort blanket I had when I was a baby. “Blanket” in French is “Couverture”, but young me spoke very poorly and said “Catoute”, which is pronounced “K-toot”, hence “Ktut”. My blanket was green, which in Spanish becomes “Verde”. Ktut+Verde=Ktutverde. I added a dieresis on the “u” because my goal was to give people a tongue-ache. The official version is that “Ktutverde” means “Green King Tut”, though.
TJ: KING KTUT

TJ: What are your thoughts on the current PU metagame? Is there anything that you think should be resuspect tested?
Ktut: This metagame is the one I’ve enjoyed the most by far. People still complain about an overwhelming number of offensive threats, but that’s nothing as compared to past metas. I’m glad that Kingler, Pyroar, and Neckboi were banned, and that stuff like Ferroseed and Togedemaru rose by usage, since I just found them annoying and leading people to make lazy builds. I strongly believe that the least broken PUBL Pokémon is Archeops, which I found quite fine in Ferroseed meta, and could be just fine now since the seed can’t support it anymore with its typing and spikes. Regirock, Mudsdale, Quagsire, and Gastrodon being better than ever, Eelektross still sticking around, Snowslash having become a PU staple, spikes being less reliable, and finally FurCoat Cat having become a relevant threat leaves me to believe that a resuspect would be acceptable, although not needed at all.

TJ: What is your favorite playstyle and why?
Ktut: My favorite playstyle is Bulkyoffense because it’s a bit hard to use something else in PU… BO is the best playstyle in most tiers, offering good offensive pressure and bulky tanks/pivots so as to always have fast games and being able to deal with most playstyles. I also like HyperOffense but it is hard to justify not using rain in PU, because screens, webs and hail HO aren’t really good, and HO teams all look the same so it’s not that fun. Oh, I’m also a big fan of “x4 StealthRock weak Pokémon” teams: after Volcarona and ZardY, I’m now trying to use Articuno and Scyther to their full potential, which is a really different and fun approach at team building.

TJ: You are one of PU’s most innovative builders, do you think anything is relatively unexplored at the moment?
Ktut: It’s hard for me to tell what is really underrated, since I have my own team building bias, and because metagames change so rapidly in PU that most of my team ideas never go very far beyond the state of experimentation. With Guzzlord in mind, I think we could try reviving Silvally-F and Probopass. Both check it well, and are very useful vs plenty other Pokémon. Also Silvally-F checks the almighty Gurdurr, has a really good speed tier and can run underrated SD sets; whereas Probopass can trap Spdef Snowslash, set rocks up vs most hazard removers, check Guzzlord thanks to a huge Painsplit recovery, and deal with annoying threats such as Eelektross and Froslass. I look forward to seeing more CM Mesprits, Tangelas, Gastrodons, Scarf Defog Skuntank and Toxic Gurdurrs, which are great glue picks in the current meta.

TJ: Who do you think are some good-up and-coming PU players?
Ktut: Damn, I wanted to avoid this question. I’m fairly new in PU (I joined 12 months ago approximately), so there are still players whose past I don’t know of, but who I’ve been seeing more and more often. I don’t particularly care about tournament results, but rather about the quality, diversity of building; ability to play; and understanding of the metagame. PILZ isn’t very active in the community but is clearly more than competent in tournaments; lockjaw is a player whose name I had never heard of before this current seasonal but is really solid. Chloe is a fantastic person who I met quite recently, and has been showing really good tournament results; Many can do much, much better, and I’m looking forward to seeing him do well. Gum doesn’t play that much but is a smart lad. PhantomHurious, the biggest memer of the PU room, has started playing seriously and has a lot of potential; Squash17 ^_^, a new french friend who I met a month ago, has been learning PU very rapidly and qualified for PULT and I strongly believe in him. Oathkeepre doesn’t use his full potential in team building but is consistent and plays well; finally tlenit1, the ladder lord with his Claydol Qwilfish teams: extremely competent at playing, but sticking to the same awkward teams. A really nice dude who can become a solid player if they stop sticking to their beloved claygod stalls.

TJ: Do you have any advice to give to newer players?
Ktut: Don’t focus only on winning tournaments. Don’t think that using stall, rain or strong teams made by other people will make you better faster. Experiment, but don’t believe in miracles: low ranked Pokémon are often unviable because they aren’t worth using. Claydol and Absol are ladder memes and aren’t good. Read forum posts. Post cleverly on forums. Chat with other players. Don’t rely too much on teambuilding and try to make up for bad matchups by playing smart. Don’t believe what influential users say until you have tested it by yourself. Enjoying the teams you use is key to becoming better at playing. Try, fail, try again, fail again. Failing is learning. Learn from your failures. Keep your smile, take breaks. Wins will come to you when you stop caring about them.

TJ: Favorite Music/TV Show?
Ktut: I’m a huge fan of French Reggae at the moment, especially Naâman&The Fatbabs, Dub Inc and Jahneration. Incredible skill and super cool songs, you should definitely Youtube them. I liked Nightflyers (Netflix) a lot, and am looking forward to the next season of One-Punch Man, a funny Manga that still tackles a philosophical question: what if we could have all the power we can dream of?

TJ: Lastly, could you provide us with a team that reflects you and give us a short explanation of it?
Ktut:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Roost

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Defog

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

Here is the most “ktut” team I could find. It’s a remix from my first PU team ever, which has been changing through metagame shifts (originally called Shitnotic, you can find it in the PU RMT section). ProboTang is just a great defensive core applying a lot of pressure on opposing teams, Tangela taking advantage of Stoutland/Primeape/Rain trends; while Probopass takes advantage of Froslass/Spdef Snowslash. Scarf Defog Skuntank is an innovation I started using a lot and is its best set imo. Lanturn is great vs all the Pompoms running around, Sensu is a Lilligant-proof Pokémon right now because Skuntank is super rare for some reason, while Chan utilizes a CB set quite well, since the AV Spin set kind of sucks in this Froslass meta: also the team needs immediate breaking presence. #RIPtype0inchat #RIPmcbfga #RIPshiinogod

TJ: Thanks for your time, Ktut! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
1. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be?

2. What's your favorite part about competitive Pokemon?

3. What's on your wish list for generation 8?
1. I would go to the Grand Canyon

2. Building teams and posting teams. Also chatting with cool players.

3. Maybe nerf Knock Off (less items being knockable apart from Mega Stones and Z-Crystals), give Gengar's line new abilities (for real, some pokes have 3 great abilities and Gengar only gets cursed body wtf), give Mega Gallade and Audino an ability that isn't shit, make new Megas or Evolutions for bad Pokémons (Dunsparce, Corsola, Castform) and make Phione better. Also I would like to see the concept of Greninjas-Ash+Alolan formes being mixed and extended like in the Pokemon Trading Card Game, for example: Meowth-TeamRocket, Garchomp-Cynthia, Pikachu-Ash, Nidoking-Giovanni or Dragonite-Lance. Alolan formes where the most balanced and cool addition to the game imo, so I hope GameFreak will use the Pokemon-Trainer concept that has existed for years in the TCG. Not a big fan of battle bond, I'm thinking of, say, Nidoking-Giovanni type Ground-Dark with some stats changes (more atk, less defense for example).

What do you think is the best way to improve as a player and/or builder?
Is Stunfisk cute?
Watching other people's games and teams, not sticking to the same playstyles and pokémons, accept that metagames change a lot in lower tiers, always try being one step ahead of what most people always use. Being patient, joining tours whatever the outcome, and not underestimating your own playing abilities or overestimating your opponent because he is a "big name".

Stunfisk will be cute when it gets fkin voltswitch.

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
When knowing a meta and trying to come up with solid builds, theres moments in which a player has to look for some unexplored or more niche choices in order to make a team work. This involves what you said about being ahead of the curve and trying out new things that can work. Whats your process like when trying to come up with these creative choices that lead to some unexplored territory and how do you differentiate a "meme set" from an actually useful and consistent one?

Ty for the interview, this is very nice and informative (:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
1. What do you like most about the PU community (other than my fantastic puns ;))

2. Other than mons, what do you like to do in your free time?

PS: thank you, its quite reassuring to hear that from a top tier player :)
1. I like how PU is becoming a pretty serious tier, with few people involved in it (we're still a small community) but becoming more competitive as they were in the past, which is reflected by more relevant VR posts and VR updates imo, as well as a rejuvenated playerbase (sort of): most players I knew when I started playing PU have stopped playing and now I can see several new players who don't have the bias some older players had, especially regarding the viability of things and regarding teambuilding. To me it's like this is PU 2.0, everything has changed a lot and I like it the way it is.

2. I like reading novels and news, listening to music, running/swimming, having a walk, taking a nap with my cats on Saturday, wearing oriental slippers (oops).

xD

When knowing a meta and trying to come up with solid builds, theres moments in which a player has to look for some unexplored or more niche choices in order to make a team work. This involves what you said about being ahead of the curve and trying out new things that can work. Whats your process like when trying to come up with these creative choices that lead to some unexplored territory and how do you differentiate a "meme set" from an actually useful and consistent one?

Ty for the interview, this is very nice and informative (:
Idk, it's a matter of feeling, probably because I have already played a lot on PS!. I just see a set and can tell how it does against toptiers, for example Toxic Gurdurr which takes advantage of trends like Pompom, Sableye or Quagsire which would normally counter it. Tbh when I don't know if it's gonna work or not I try it out, I have already used all PU mons so it's easier to know how each mon works: for example I've tested Jynx and Absol a lot and I couldn't make them worth using (not saying they cant be used, but I would avoid using them). So I simply don't use them because they never work well for me. I don't think I've explored anything really, I just don't trust Viability Rankings and have my own ranking in my head, so you may see me using some things that are supposed to be quite low but they aren't that low in my mind. Idk if it's clear..

Tbh I would say "just feel it": if using/building with a mon is frustrating, just give up and restart with a good pokemon/core. Good teams and good cores usually "appear" in a "Eureka!" way, it flows. I like Maths and Physics a lot, and I think maths and physics laws are "discovered", not "invented". I see metagames as mathematic sets: some things can be done and will work inside them, other things will naturally not be great.

Trying to make a team work artificially when it is telling you "I'm not gonna be a consitent team, man" is useless, tho I learned it the hard way. So just "feel" the team, and "feel" if X underexplored mon can work. Though feeling comes after experimenting, so the best thing to do is playing and "improve the flow" of your teams. Also usually I revamp my teams once or twice (at least) before getting a good result:

My best example for an underexplored concept: scyther+claydol offense. My first version (at the bottom) was slowly revamped and became the top one, tho I've been feeling that simisear wasn't doing enough, so might go back to persian. All are usable, but usable=/=good, "good" meaning ahead of the meta or at least fully adapted (imo).
All teams were built by revamping the first team again and again, and testing how all of them do. The key thing is starting with a good core, since everything becomes easier once you find the right core (scyther+claydol here).

I hope I helped ^^

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
What's the best thing about Surskit?
Do you like Masquerain?
Do you spam Surskit in LC?
How does a Surskit eat?
Is that pointy thing on Surskit's head a fifth leg?
Surskit does "skitskit".
I love masquerain because it has many water stabs despite being a bug-flying type. Also it's the only bug with the ability Intimidate which means it is the scariest bug ever.
Surskit was banned from LC for obvious reasons (too cute) and now belongs in the S++ rank cuteness tier.
Eating is for the weak.
No, it uses that pointy thing to get TV channels and Wi-fi too. Surskits communicate with each other via their own WhatsApp (WhatSkit). You can find more info on: https://pointy-thing-network.skitland.skit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)