Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 4 - Shaneghoul

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Shaneghoul
Favorite Pokemon: Rotom
Most used Pokemon: Skuntank
Most known for: Playing NU, PU Council, Playing in every PUPL
TJ: Hi Shane, how are you doing today?
Shane: Hey TJ, I've had better days but overall I don't have much to complain about.

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
Shane: I'm a 20 year old guy from Dublin, Ireland and am currently studying Computer Science at University. I'm very into basketball and I spend a lot of time playing/coaching it, although I tore a ligament in my ankle recently so I haven't played since then. Aside from that I've also been spending an increasing amount of time watching anime in recent months. It sounds stupid but watching so much has really changed who I am and made me a much happier person so I'm really glad I found it. I also play a decent amount of video games and would like to delve into game development when I find time over the Summer as ultimately I want to do something video game related for my career.

TJ: What brought you to Smogon / the PU community?
Shane: I originally found PS! back in 2014 when I stumbled across a shofu video. I used to mess around with garbage on the OU ladder and I'd say for about a year I came on every now and then and played around. I started playing more when I stumbled across rooms and for whatever reason the first room I joined was the NU one. I talked there a lot and played on the ladder and eventually made a smogon account. I stuck with NU for a while, eventually becoming a mod in the room and playing (not very well) in spl, but I also kept up with PU from the day it got its own public room and have played in all the pupls since the first 1. Mid-way through ORAS I took a long break from pokemon and when I came back to sun and moon I found I didn't really enjoy NU anymore and so I started playing PU more often since it resembled ORAS NU somewhat. I've stuck with PU since then and have enjoyed it a lot ever since.

TJ: How did you get your username?
Shane: Shockingly, my real life name is Shane. The username came from when I was 10 or so and tried to sign up for Runescape. I put in Shane as a username since I was oblivious to how the internet worked, and when the name was rejected one of the suggested names was shaneghoul. I liked the sound of that and I've been using it ever since.

TJ: How does it feel being a new PU council member?
Shane: It's a really nice feeling tbh. I wasn't really expecting it so it was a really nice surprise, and as someone who still gets labelled as an nu player it means a lot to me that the pu community would consider me one of their own to the point that I'd be put on council. My last council stint, which was in nu, lasted about 2 weeks so lets hope this one goes better!

TJ: You had a very strong run in Seasonal, what do you think contributed the most to your success?
Shane: I think the big thing for me in this run was all the support I received from my friends, especially from dibs and HJAD. It means a lot to me that I have friends within the community that would support me in the way they did, always helping me with regards to teams and just generally looking out for me. While I definitely do enjoy the game, really it's the opportunity to meet people like them that keeps me coming back.

TJ: Thoughts on the current metagame? Is there anything you’d like to see freed from PUBL?
Shane: I'm having fun with the current metagame. Guzzlord has been a nice addition to the tier and I'm glad it hasn't caused any problems. Even with guzzlord in the tier though I probably still wouldn't be against a lilligant suspect, but I don't feel as strongly on that as I used to. There's not really anything I'd like to see freed from PUBL at the moment.

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people in the PU community / Smogon?
Shane: I've made so many good friends here that it's impossible to mention them all, but the ones that I talk to the most and mean the most to me would dibs, Teddeh, HJAD, Anty, and yogi. If it weren't for these boys there's no way I'd still be playing pokemon and it's them that keeps me coming back. I value them as if they were real life friends and I'm so glad to have met them. User TJ is also pretty cool ;)

TJ: Who do you think are some good up-and-coming PU players?
Shane: I haven't kept up with the community in that sense as much as I would've liked to, but two names I want to mention are yedla and tlenit1. Yedla's coming off a strong seasonal run and I'd love to see him build on that and get more into the community. Tlenit1 is a player I've faced on the ladder many times and he consistently finds himself at number 1. I don't think he's joined any of the seasonals but I'll be urging him to join the next one. He's also a really nice guy which is always nice!

TJ: Do you have any advice for newer players in the tier?
Shane: I think the most important thing for people is to remember why they're playing in the first place. Realistically no one's making a living off of being a pro pokemon player and we're all just here to have fun. As long as you keep that in mind as you're playing I'm sure you'll find your way in PU as there's a great community here for you. Also use rotom-frost because it's really good right now :]

TJ: Lastly, could you provide a team that reflects you and explain it?
Shane:

dibs (Quilladin) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Wood Hammer

taskr (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

yogi (Golem) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

ted (Regice) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

hjad (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt

anty (Mr. Mime) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

This is the team that I'm probably most known for in PU as it was my staple all through out ORAS and I even brought it back last PUPL with myself and Pearl both using and winning with it. I'm very much an offensive player and I love piloting teams like this since the games are usually quickly which leads to close exciting matches. I always have a lot of fun with teams that try to keep up offensive pressure for the entire game until you exhaust the opponent and I feel like this team perfectly represents that style of build. Offensive spikes quilladin wasn't a very popular set in ORAS and so the set came with a lot of surprise factor which always allowed a spike or two to go up while keeping hazards off my side. Golem is more standard but it's still fantastic at what it does, namely getting rocks up while using custap explosion to prevent a defog. From there the gameplan is to try and keep the momentum on your side with the other 4 while keeping the hazards around. It's a simple team, but one that I've found incredible success with and have very fond memories of.

TJ: Thanks for your time, Shane! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
You're a really consistent player, any tips for players looking to do the same?

How long have you been playing basketball and why do you enjoy it so much?

What's on your wish list for gen 8 competitive wise?

Hello,

What is your favorite food?
What is your favorite pokémon?

PS: Gratz on making it to a council member :)
I'm not really sure if they're a thing outside of here but spice bags are the food of gods. It's basically just chips (which are basically just french fries but fatter and softer with much less salt) and chicken strips inside a paper bag mixed with spice. Sounds weird but they're honestly amazing.

Rotom-normal, I used it so much and it became such a staple of my teams back in ORAS NU that I just

What is your favourite way to timer someone?

While you still keep that have fun mentality, you used to go hard on memes quite a bit more. Anything changed there or am I just watching the wrong games?

What does Brexit mean?
1. The timer game is almost another game in and of itself. Kicking the set off I usually avoid timering until I grab some momentum. Once I put the opponent in a difficult position the timer immediately comes out to mentally assert dominance. Pressure leads to mistakes and so if their timer ends up running low in that game then the timer comes out from the very start in every game after that, even before I make my own move. Losing momentum is the most important thing to avoid in the timer matchup so you also have to make sure that you keep your own timer above 200 seconds to give the appearance that the game is trivial for you. Some of the greats can keep their time above 270 for the entire game and if you manage that you're sure to win the set.

When you're up against an opponent who also understands the way of the timer however, it's important to vary your strategy. Allowing the opponent to assert dominance is the worst thing that can happen so if you find yourself in a tight spot with timer off it's usually best to start it your self to put the opponent on the ropes. There's also the age old tactic of running down your timer in a favourable situation. Catching the opponent off guard with some kind of tech set is made much easier if you give them the idea that you're agonizing over what move to click and can be the determining factor in a match. Having different approaches for different playstyles can often be helpful too, for example when I'm playing stall I always timer immediately, even before I pick a lead, as it's so important to assert dominance and get into the opponent's head in that match up.

Those are some loose guidelines for how you should approach the timer matchup. It's important that you develop your own strategy, but these guidelines should start you on your way. Many games are won and lost by players neglecting to work on their timer skills and it's truly tragic to see. Eventually I hope we reach a golden age where the timer is viewed just as importantly as the core gameplay is. Right now though, pokemon timer meta games are in a sorry state but by having the right approach you can lead us to a new era.

2. I've probably changed a bit in my approach to the game. After my SPL stint where I failed to get a win I really lost interest in taking pokemon seriously as that stretch affected me mentally and I just didn't enjoy it. From there most of my time on ps was spent messing around with stupid stuff and just playing around. Over the past half year or so I've come back to caring about tournament related stuff as I'm having more fun with it which is probably why I haven't been using as much weird stuff lately. I still like to play around with different things, and I think the electric terrain team I brought to both sets in winners finals was a good example of that, but you'd be right in saying I'm not using hard memes as much as I used to.

3. Brexit means Brexit

What type of thing do you think about first while building?

What would be your ideal holiday?

Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?
(for this question your answer will be no)
1. I usually have an idea of something I want to build with. From there I look at the support whatever I'm building with needs. For example I made a CB hitmonchan team recently and the first thing I wanted was a defogger that could handle traditional chan checks, specifically mesprit, qwilfish and froslass. Rotom-frost was a perfect answer as it beat all those pokemon 1v1 and could defog the hazards they set up. Usually support doesn't just come in 1 pokemon like this case, but once I've got the support figured out I usually just try and patch up the team to make sure I don't outright lose to anything and can still have a chance in any matchup.

2. I'm not really that much of an adventurous person. When my family go on holiday I usually go with them but honestly I'd be just as happy staying at home. That being said me and a friend have been talking about going to Japan for a while to visit some places and for me that would probably be the ideal holiday.

3. We all know the answer's no

You're a really consistent player, any tips for players looking to do the same?

How long have you been playing basketball and why do you enjoy it so much?

What's on your wish list for gen 8 competitive wise?
1. I'm not really sure tbh. I've never seen myself as that good a player and I'm always surprised I find the relative success I do. That being said, one thing I've found players failing to do when they play is having a game plan. It's important to know what you need to do to win a game when you start and so taking time at the start of the game to decide on that is very important. Your game plan will probably change as the game goes on and you'll need to make adjustments, but it's always good to keep in mind what you need to do to win a game so that you can play accordingly. In the same vein it's also important to go over the replays for you tournament losses and look at what you could've done better. Ask yourself was your gameplan the right one to take, and did you follow it well. It's easy to blame a game on hax, but with the right mindset there's pretty much always something to be gained from a lost game and if you really can't see anything talk to someone more experience and ask them to look at your replay for you. Most people on this site are very approachable and willing to help if you just ask for it, I'm always open to talk anyway!

2. I've been playing basketball since I was 11 or 12. For me there's nothing more exhilarating than seeing a shot go clean through the net, and while I enjoy some other sports I find that none of them match the excitement that comes from basketball. It's also really nice to just forget about whatever's going on in your life and lose yourself in a game, it feels like you're in another world and all your problems disappear for a little while.

3. I haven't really thought about it much, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing more mega forms as it's always cool seeing old pokemon get revisited. Really I'm just hoping that mega forms don't end up being like gems where they're here for a generation and then gamefreak moves on from them. I'll probably still play regardless of what happens though : ]

How's studying Computer Science at university? I'm planning on studying it next year so I need some insight from someone that actually does it.
I'm enjoying it well enough and would recommend it. I'm definitely enjoying the experience far more than high school anyway. It's a nice thing to study in that I have a lot of freedom in my learning. There's no essay writing and it's really a case of you know the code / maths or you don't, so it's very supportive of self-learning in that sense which I really like. If you want to know anything specific or just talk about it hmu on discord. I'm more than happy to talk in pms / call about it.

will untier talk be late this week?
Brexit means Brexit

Do you actually listen to untier talk or just leave comments?
To what extent did you prep for ktut and/or jank shit for circuit finals?
1. I listen to it most weeks yea, it's very easy to just throw on in the background while I do some work, especially since all my work is computer related.

2. I didn't really do any prep specifically for Ktut. The team I brought twice with the mudsdale rotom and jellicent was the one I used to qualify for ladder tour with so I had a lot of practice with that one. The other teams were older stuff that I was comfortable with, two of them being from exhibition. The kecleon team was one dibs gave me that I really liked the look of. For g3 I was going to bring the electric terrain team that I had success with in previous rounds but I lost interest in playing after g2

Grats ShaneGhoul on being part of council. My question is what strategies do you employ to win when battling in high pressured battles.
Thanks! Honestly despite how long I've played I still get nervous going into big games. Usually after the first few turns though my instincts take over and I calm down. This isn't really an aspect I feel like I've quite gotten the hang of yet, but just so that I'm not leaving you without an answer I think it really helps to use teams you're comfortable with. For me it really helps when I know what a team is capable of and how to pilot it and that's one of the reasons I used so many older teams in seasonal.

smk madoka sayaka homura
Assuming that's fmk I'll go with fuck Homura marry Sayaka kill Madoka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)