PM151 — A Pocket Monsters design project

Hello all — I wanted to let you know about my most recent design project which is based on the original Gen 1 monsters. Over the last 5 months I've designed / produced 151 illustrations and designed a poster which contains all of them - I've tried to keep each design as simple and graphic as possible.

Here are some select images from the project and you can find a full case study on my site (http://arkotype.co - I've worked on a number of gaming / design related projects):

Red / Blue design:

Some close up details:

Photographs of the finished prints:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dan

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
All the images are broken for me, sadly :( Maybe try uploading them on imgur? Either way the concept is intriguing and I can't wait to see the images in full :)

Edit: These are simply amazing. The minimalist approach is something difficult to succeed with when applied to something as diverse and varied as Pokemon but you really pulled it off. Mad props.

Last edited:
This is absolutely insane, love the simplicity behind it, and you even managed to tackle 151 of them with a consistent approach, making it worth taking a look at each one. A lot of them are so adorable as well, hopefully you'll end up doing more at some point. :)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There isn't much I can say about the quality of your designs that pupboi and Tikitik haven't already said, but I will add that its presentation is wonderful. The varied close-up and perspective photos highlight significant areas and generate even more interest in this project for me, and I can appreciate the high-quality paper the posters are printed on. The Game Boy and Pokemon Green box hiding behind the frames in the last photo are fun little touches, too. Fantastic work. Some of my favorites among these include Metapod, Clefable, Eevee, and Moltres.

If I might ask, what exactly was your process in designing all of these? Did you set any limits for yourself before beginning that you tried to adhere to? Did you just sketch out a bunch of ideas for each pokemon on paper until you found one you were satisfied with? And what motivated you to commit to this project?

Thank you for the kind words :)

The limits were a single colour and a 20x20 grid which every one of the designs adheres to - I like to work with limits and it helps to keep everything uniform.

In terms of the process, I've almost finished a post which goes into detail about my entire process and covers every detail. I'll post a link to it this weekend.

Gotta agree with everyone else on your minimalist approach. The designs are incredibly effective in their simplicity, perfectly paralleling the designs of the Gen 1 games. It helps to evoke a sense of nostalgia as well, especially in making the colors red and blue. The style is consistent and every pokemon looks adorable. This honestly looks like something I'd be willing to hang up in my own room. Good job!

Thank you all so much for the kind words and apologies for my delay in response.

I'm still working on the 'process' post about how the project came together and I'll share it here as soon as it's complete.

I also wanted to let you all know that the prints are currently on sale for -25% then normal price [£30 £22.50]

The prints ship worldwide. --

http://arkotype.tictail.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)