Pokémon GO

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Yes.

Babies: Elekid, Magby, Smoochum, Tyrogue, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi
Pokemon that require Evolution Items: Steelix, Bellossom, Scizor, Porygon2, Slowking, Sunflora, Politoed, Kingdra
Special Evolution Requirements: Espeon, Umbreon
Unavailable: Smeargle, Delibird

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes.

Babies: Elekid, Magby, Smoochum, Tyrogue, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi
Pokemon that require Evolution Items: Steelix, Bellossom, Scizor, Porygon2, Slowking, Sunflora, Politoed, Kingdra
Special Evolution Requirements: Espeon, Umbreon
Unavailable: Smeargle, Delibird
Delibird no doubt will be a winter holiday event.

Though Smeargle is an interesting case. They have to figure how to do the move Sketch. Obviously the most direct approach would be having it do what it did in the games, copy the opponents last used move. Doing this would actually make Smeargle the only Pokemon in Pokemon Go you can actually choose your moves for... which is probably why it hasn't been released. If I recall someone said Niantic was planning move re-rolls so maybe that's probably when Smeargle will be released to the wild.
Of course there's also an issue how Sketch would work. Would they allow Smeargle to have 2 Sketches (and when you re-roll they become Sketch again)? Would it only has one Sketch and it copies both moves (which would stink)? After using one Sketch a second appears in case the system won't allow a Pokemon knowing 2 of the same moves?

And with all that said that started making me think what other Pokemon would be a problem or has something interesting about them in the future, so off to the National Dex:

Abilities: Immediately I realized something looking at the Gen 3 Pokemon, Abilities. From Gen 3 on Ability gimmicks become a thing so Niantic has to implement Abilities into the game (you can argue whether it should have been in the game in the first place or not). Anyway, this gimmick Ability problem effects the following Pokemon:
  • Gen 3: Slakoth family, Shedinja, Castform*, Kecleon, Weather Trio
  • Gen 4: Cherrim, Regigigas, Darkrai, Arceus*
  • Gen 5: Darmanitan, Yamask family, Zorua family*, Archen family, Genesect*
  • Gen 6: Zygarde*
  • Gen 7: Wishiwashi, Passimian*, Silvally*, Komala, Mimikyu, Island Guardians
Double Battles: Another Gen 3 innovation, there are some Pokemon who were built (or rather have signature/only Abilities) for multi-Pokemon battles. Such affected Abilities are Aroma Veil, Battery, Flower Gift, Flower Veil, Sweet Veil, Sweet Veil, & Victory Star. Now they can just have these Pokemon battle alone, but doing so kind of misses the point of the Pokemon.
Castform/Cherrim: Their Ability requires specific weather to work. Now they can go on current weather conditions but that wouldn't really make them that useful a lot of the time or random whether they would be good or not. Also, since Pokemon only get 2 moves in Go, if they have a Weather changing move that means they only have one attacking move.
Deoxys/Rotom/Zygarde: These Pokemon have special forms that they can switch between in special ways. Deoxys needs meteors (which not everyone has access to), Rotom certain furniture, and Zygarde is via changing the amount of Cells it has. Now will they just make a normal item which does this, sort of like an evolution item? If so they would also need to do the same for Shaymin, the Forces of Nature, Kyurem, Hoopa, & Oricorio. And who knows what Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon will bring, looking at you Necrozma Armored Solgaleo & Lunala.
Female Burmy: Burmy forms change depending on where it battled, so will it work the same way? Or will it just be based on the environment it is (though the reason it changes form is implied to be its repairing its coat due to battle damage).
Chatot: No problem, but I wonder if they'll bring back the gimmick of Chatter since we are using a phone device... probably not...
Remaining Eeveelutions: So what do you think will be the nicknames to get a guaranteed Leafeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon will be? Sun & Moon had the Eeveelution trainers so I guess they could go with those names (Linnea for Leafeon, Rea for Glaceon, & Kira for Sylveon).
Giratina/Arceus/Genesect/Silvally: They need to hold a certain item to change forms. Now they haven't introduced hold items in Pokemon GO so are they going to change it so these items are just normal items you apply to the Pokemon that changes them or will they bring in hold items?
Zorua family/Passimian/Alolan Grimer family: In order for their Abilities to work they need another Pokemon in the player's party. But Pokemon GO doesn't have a party, and most battles are 1v1.
Vivillon: No problem, but you thought collecting all forms in the main games was a difficult task...

Anything I missed?

breh

強いだね
With smeargle they could just do it the super lazy way and give it random moves ala showdown randbats. I don't really think it's functionally that different and (no matter what, really) it's not going to be good without status moves.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Still, they could just make Present a static damage move and roll out Delibird quickly enough. I just saw it as an excuse to prolong the game for no reason. Smeargle I understand given the intricacies of Sketch as a move and how they'd actually code it, Ditto made sense given Transform mechanics... Delibird is a cop out.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered Delibird has a full moveset coded for it, albeit without Present. It is the only one of the unreleased normal mons to actually have this distinction. So it is basically completed sans release schedule or Present or what have you.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Delibird can learn other moves too. Actually, we know what it can learn. Fast moves are Ice Shard & Quick Attack, special move is Ice Punch, Icy Wing, & Aerial Ace.

Also there are other Pokemon missing their Signature/well known for moves: Pikachu family doesn't have Volt Tackle, Meowth family doesn't have Pay Day, Growlithe family doesn't have Extreme Speed, Abra family doesn't have Kinesis, Magneton doesn't have Tri Attack, Krabby family doesn't have Crabhammer, Exeggcute family doesn't have Barrage, Cubone family doesn't have Bonemerang, Hitmonlee doesn't have (High) Jump Kick or Rolling Kick or Mega Kick, Mewtwo doesn't have Psystrike, Octillery doesn't have Octozooka, Hitmontop doesn't have Triple Kick or Rolling Kick, Lugia doesn't have Aeroblast, and Ho-Oh doesn't have Sacred Fire. Looks like Niantic focused on moves that they can applied to multiple Pokemon over Signature moves except for a few cases.

I finally reached lvl 20 and got 2 more free incubators. Luckily for me, I have four 10K eggs. What I find so great now is that the two 5K eggs I hatched today gave me 2 stanlers. However, both are great for the first one has Tackle and Megahorn whereas the other one has Zen Headbutt and Wild Charge. Also, thanks to the fire type event, I finally caught my first Charmander that has been nonexistent in the Philippines' cities. I have all the starters at leasr Finally got another Eevee this time. Tje one I'm walking will be an Espeon wit the other one being a Vaporeon. Seriously, the amount of times I see that fishy's name seems to become a vocabulary fetish for everyone in Go. Like, more than a thousand times has it been mentioned. Oh the wonders of language.

However, even with the big army I made through the constant evolution chain while gainnig a level from tons of xp thanks to lucky egg, I still can't beat a Blissey but had been able to steamroll a Tyranitar, a Gyarados, a Rhydon, and a Vaporeon at GYMS. Here is the thing I'm very salty at: Chansey is just as hard not for killing me, but for I always end up in a time up loss when it has like 5% health left using my strongest mons. The last one I fought today (1800-ish CP) just had 1% left but I still lose by timeout!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My biggest rage in Pokemon Go ever.

I finally reached lvl 20 and got 2 more free incubators. Luckily for me, I have four 10K eggs. What I find so great now is that the two 5K eggs I hatched today gave me 2 stanlers. However, both are great for the first one has Tackle and Megahorn whereas the other one has Zen Headbutt and Wild Charge. Also, thanks to the fire type event, I finally caught my first Charmander that has been nonexistent in the Philippines' cities. I have all the starters at leasr Finally got another Eevee this time. Tje one I'm walking will be an Espeon wit the other one being a Vaporeon. Seriously, the amount of times I see that fishy's name seems to become a vocabulary fetish for everyone in Go. Like, more than a thousand times has it been mentioned. Oh the wonders of language.

However, even with the big army I made through the constant evolution chain while gainnig a level from tons of xp thanks to lucky egg, I still can't beat a Blissey but had been able to steamroll a Tyranitar, a Gyarados, a Rhydon, and a Vaporeon at GYMS. Here is the thing I'm very salty at: Chansey is just as hard not for killing me, but for I always end up in a time up loss when it has like 5% health left using my strongest mons. The last one I fought today (1800-ish CP) just had 1% left but I still lose by timeout!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My biggest rage in Pokemon Go ever.
Chansey and Blissey's selling point is always its ability to outlast the attackers, which apparently has been called out as cheap by many people. You'll need something that is really suited for the job and they really bar players below Lv25 from playing the gyms at all, which is why I despise them as defenders. At least I got this great Machamp? and other things to break those walls, but newcomers with lower levels are completely denied, even worse in stop-starvation suburban or rural areas.

1800 CP Chansey though? Not Blissey? Either way, to not dodge the quick moves may help better. Still....

breh

強いだね
inb4 new gym mechanics make blissey ass somehow (but congrats / very jealous)

caught a raw hitmontop (80 cp!! I'm putting it in gyms I take down now since hitmontop is a giant pain in the ass to acquire) so I've got 4 mons left over which I have control - ttar, dnite, p2, and togetic. hatched a nice rhyhorn (15/11/15) + evolved it with the best moveset (rock smash / stone edge; blissey is all I use these things for in practice so it's nice to have another one), will be the highest CP mon I have after I get enough candy to take it to max level.

Speaking of! Guess what I caught at a gym? Machoke! It was only 23 CP, but when I caught it, (and released it), I had a little bit more than 100 candy to evolve my 91% IV Machoke and... it evolved with Counter and Dynamic Punch! the best possible Moveset! So happy! Finally, a Blissey Killer!
Only level 19 for now, but it will get there!
http://imgur.com/a/0sWMQ

Also, in case anyone asks: Attack IVs carry more weight than both Def and HP IVs when determining CP. Here is proof: CP = (Attack * Defense^0.5 * Stamina^0.5 * CP_Multiplier^2) / 1
That's why Latias has the same stats total but Latios has more CP because it's highest stat is Attack, while Latias' highest is HP.
On an unrelated note: Origami
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=1544898315742450&story_fbid=1551482065084075
Well, for RNG has smiled upon, good for you. I myself have one trusty wallbreaker that had helped in at least breaking 1.5 of the walls in a run.

I'll see what the rework will bring.
Also, I knew it indeed. CP isn't much of a representative of stats with that and my Vaporeon works just as well as my pseudolegends, and that I think Lanturn is safer choice than Jolteon at times. I'll also see if gym rework do something with CP too.

At least if it is species clause, it is good that I don't rely on the big guys and had been loving these Vaporeon.

tfw you can't really play in 90°F temperatures, but you get a decent day's worth of hunting done in ~15 mins because the building you're in has three stops and it's the solstice event

you can... well I am now down to 2 Ultra balls because the game wouldn't registers the various bonuses therefore costing me 2-3 extra balls. when you have green circle... and the pokemon escapes from excellents.. I mean.. come on.

inb4 new gym mechanics make blissey ass somehow (but congrats / very jealous)

caught a raw hitmontop (80 cp!! I'm putting it in gyms I take down now since hitmontop is a giant pain in the ass to acquire) so I've got 4 mons left over which I have control - ttar, dnite, p2, and togetic. hatched a nice rhyhorn (15/11/15) + evolved it with the best moveset (rock smash / stone edge; blissey is all I use these things for in practice so it's nice to have another one), will be the highest CP mon I have after I get enough candy to take it to max level.
I'm interested to know on what makes Mama Blissey meh.

You see, the only mons that I have with a fighting move is a Magmar with Karate Chop and a low leveled Pinsir with a fighting move and Close combat. So far, I did my darndest on using my Skarmory twins to beat Mama Blissey. Not working so well. The only legit fighting type I had is a 525 Machop hatched from an egg and it ain't evolving anytime soon only because I had not encountered another fighting type pokemon since that machop like a month ago.

Speaking of eggs, there is this funny dilemma and joy that I had been having. I had 3 Cleffas from eggs with the "These have the best stats I have ever seen" comment. I dunno what it means but it seems I'm getting a potentially good fairy type army here. Really dunno what to do with these cute babies just like the Pichu I just had among with that wild pikachu I caught with a great moveset. I'm seriously considering just doing a fairy themed army since I had been letting my sister catch a jigglypuff whenever we walk together. Also, at long last, I finally hatched my very first Dratini. I caught those in the wild like, once or twice with meh stats. Now i find myself in a really tight dilemma as to which should I buddy walk.

So far, it's the eevees, my phanphy, my starter bulbasaur, and dratini. Ohhh it's a tough choice.

you can... well I am now down to 2 Ultra balls because the game wouldn't registers the various bonuses therefore costing me 2-3 extra balls. when you have green circle... and the pokemon escapes from excellents.. I mean.. come on.
The only bonus that often miss are curveballs. I never get great throws unregistered incorrectly unless I screwed it up myself. Are you sure?

I have learnt how to conserve my balls and focus more to reduce usages.

sometimes it doesn't register hits on the circles, I can clip the circle and it registers, other times I can land the ball so it hits the edge of the circle.. and nothing, even when a good chunk of the ball is inside (and 8/10 it counts).

other BS today... doing a challenge on local facebook group for excellent throws.... green circle Ledyba escapes... had a ponyta escape TWO in a row.. before being captured in a 3rd.. (yea 3 on the same poke lol, new record for me)

The gyms are still open on our area. How about you guys?

Also, with the event ongoing, I've yet to get a good IV Lapras, but I did catch 3 Lapras and Pinap all of them. I'm also overwhelmed with the spawns. Even though I live in a water Biome, I rarely see Shellder and Seel, so all the event spawns are welcome catches.

A fellow 91%er! Congrats! My Machamp also has Max Attack (and Max Defense), and I'm happy for you!

*Don't click on the moveset rankings for Rhydon if you feel sensitive. (Don't worry the one you have is great!) Part of me doesn't want to ruin the feeling, but another part of me wants to pass on information for general knowledge on the best moveset: I'll let you decide for yourself.
I wonder when trading opens up if you can do more than just appraise the Pokémon the other trainer is offering... so you know what you are getting (or a bunch a 0 IVs Pokémon Nicknamed 100%, lol).
Also, can you imagine all the glitches, just like the Gameboy Link Cable Gen 1 days, where someone turns off their game and clones a Pokémon mid-trade?
I could see someone somehow loses connection, say due to their Cell Phone service being bad in a rural area, while the other player's app is running and both end up with the same Pokémon that was going to be traded from the disconnected player. From there, you can bet people will find the precise moment to disconnect their game and clone for their second or even third+ accounts, especially Shiny Gyarados, Legendaries, etc.

I know the servers will probably crash but I hope they allow players to trade to non local players, kind of like the friends code in the Pokémon main games. I would love to help newer trainers with some leftover tier 2 or 3 Pokémon I kept like a 2400 Snorlax with 50% IVs or that really low level 100% IVs chinchou that could be an awesome prestige with the only issue being that it needs like 500,000 stardust and like 250 candy for max level.

Lastly... Did anyone else plan on keeping at least 1 Santa Hat and/or Party Hat Pikachu to evolve into Gen 7 Alolan Raichu... an even longer wait than saving a 100% IV Eevee for Sylveon.

So for Vaporeon lovers, *cough PsychicAcademic cough* just check out Sylveon's CP: 3,094. While not as high as Vaporeon, it can handle Tyranitar, and Dragonite simultaneously while fending off Machamps from Blissey. I could see it as an awesome Generalist defender especially as top Gen 3 onwards Dragons (sorry Kingdra) tend to be in the 3,300+ range, and having a STAB Super Effective Dazzling Gleam to handle Dragon, Dark and Fighting types will threaten even Mega Gyarados and be the new Rhydon in terms of damage and coverage.

I hope they make gyms get some sort of a bonus for having multiple Pokémon of the same type, either forcing gyms to be all one type, or letting trainers simply get a CP or some individual stat bonus like Defense if you share at least 1 type with a fellow gym defender. Think Steelix, Golem, Donphan, Rhydon, Tyranitar...
Or Lapras, Arcticuno, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Dragonite...
Or a bonus for having Pokémon within the same evolution line like a fully stacked Eevee and evolutions gym. (Hopefully by then they will add the Dragon evolution and maybe a Normal type evolution for gen 8?)
A fellow 91%er! Congrats! My Machamp also has Max Attack (and Max Defense), and I'm happy for you!

*Don't click on the moveset rankings for Rhydon if you feel sensitive. (Don't worry the one you have is great!) Part of me doesn't want to ruin the feeling, but another part of me wants to pass on information for general knowledge on the best moveset: I'll let you decide for yourself.
I wonder when trading opens up if you can do more than just appraise the Pokémon the other trainer is offering... so you know what you are getting (or a bunch a 0 IVs Pokémon Nicknamed 100%, lol).
Also, can you imagine all the glitches, just like the Gameboy Link Cable Gen 1 days, where someone turns off their game and clones a Pokémon mid-trade?
I could see someone somehow loses connection, say due to their Cell Phone service being bad in a rural area, while the other player's app is running and both end up with the same Pokémon that was going to be traded from the disconnected player. From there, you can bet people will find the precise moment to disconnect their game and clone for their second or even third+ accounts, especially Shiny Gyarados, Legendaries, etc.

I know the servers will probably crash but I hope they allow players to trade to non local players, kind of like the friends code in the Pokémon main games. I would love to help newer trainers with some leftover tier 2 or 3 Pokémon I kept like a 2400 Snorlax with 50% IVs or that really low level 100% IVs chinchou that could be an awesome prestige with the only issue being that it needs like 500,000 stardust and like 250 candy for max level.

Lastly... Did anyone else plan on keeping at least 1 Santa Hat and/or Party Hat Pikachu to evolve into Gen 7 Alolan Raichu... an even longer wait than saving a 100% IV Eevee for Sylveon.

So for Vaporeon lovers, *cough PsychicAcademic cough* just check out Sylveon's CP: 3,094. While not as high as Vaporeon, it can handle Tyranitar, and Dragonite simultaneously while fending off Machamps from Blissey. I could see it as an awesome Generalist defender especially as top Gen 3 onwards Dragons (sorry Kingdra) tend to be in the 3,300+ range, and having a STAB Super Effective Dazzling Gleam to handle Dragon, Dark and Fighting types will threaten even Mega Gyarados and be the new Rhydon in terms of damage and coverage.

I hope they make gyms get some sort of a bonus for having multiple Pokémon of the same type, either forcing gyms to be all one type, or letting trainers simply get a CP or some individual stat bonus like Defense if you share at least 1 type with a fellow gym defender. Think Steelix, Golem, Donphan, Rhydon, Tyranitar...
Or Lapras, Arcticuno, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Dragonite...
Or a bonus for having Pokémon within the same evolution line like a fully stacked Eevee and evolutions gym. (Hopefully by then they will add the Dragon evolution and maybe a Normal type evolution for gen 8?)
Having bonus for same family seem to be only something Eevee can abuse without species clause that everyone has been speculating. Even if they don't apply the clause, I don't think they'll make such bonus as that'd be abused by Blissey again (or whatever the next hot thing will be).
But type bonus can be good thing. Or maybe field or weather bonus like some have also imagined.

Well, I do know Sylveon. If Blissey is no longer the threshold of what's good in gym defending or anything, I do know her good potentials. Cuteness as a bonus point too. I'm more looking forward to using her to attack gyms instead, though, like I do other favourite things.

And with shortsightedness of Niantic, I doubt we can have appraisal on traded mon. I don't think we even have that in main series game (unless I miss the Judge button in trading there in Moon). So yeah, if we can have hell that is GTS, we will live with roughly same thing in GO trading. I hope I'm just too pessimistic....
I think cloning would be recognised more easily by Niantic server though, with their server side insistence, so that shouldn't be expected unless wanting to risk being flagged if they find repeated suspicious trades. At least GF deters cloning through that with trade failure restricting cooldown.

The gyms are still open on our area. How about you guys?

Also, with the event ongoing, I've yet to get a good IV Lapras, but I did catch 3 Lapras and Pinap all of them. I'm also overwhelmed with the spawns. Even though I live in a water Biome, I rarely see Shellder and Seel, so all the event spawns are welcome catches.
It was glitchy in the Philippines a couple days ago but it resumed ok for the following days when the event started. I got a bunch of Swinubs with a ton of fire types, a pack of ponyta which gave me enough to get my Rapidash, and finaly steadily getting my daily dose of candy to get my Ninetales.

breh

強いだね
l8, but I mean it in the sense that it's best for blissey - I think rock smash dps is mildly higher than mud slap's since it's a faster move and STAB = SE.

I'm kind of sad that they haven't already closed the gyms; I was looking forward to it, kinda :/

oh and phalanx I think that some pokemon are just... more prone to running / breaking out than one would imagine. I've had obnoxious stuff like deep green mons + great ball + great + curve break out and run before... maybe the curve didn't register, I guess? infuriating either way

Also managed to get stuck in LA traffic for so long that I accumulated about 3km. Never again pls

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Team Mystic member here. Hopefully the gym revamp won't take too long as that's been my main source of stardust and shop points with at least 10 gyms over the past 4 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)