Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Only Ice types get Aurora Veil
The Pokedex says Suicune is an Aurora Pokemon and he learns Aurora Beam. By the way, why can't everything that learns Aurora Beam get Aurora Veil?

-Checks what gets Aurora Beam-

With a list like that, I can understand why they didn't do that. Vaporeon, Xerneas, Magearna get it through Level Up and Lord Helix, Kabutops, and Araquanid get it through breeding? I get Xerneas because of Rainbows, but Araquanid? Why? How?

The reason is due to Suicune's association with the North Wind. The Aurora Borealis is derived partially from Boreas, the Greek god of the North Wind.
Unfortunately that still leaves us with why is Suicune associated with the northern wind to begin with

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Unfortunately that still leaves us with why is Suicune associated with the northern wind to begin with
Suicune Bulbapedia Entry said:
Suicune is thought to be based on numerous creatures and mythological deities, mainly the Qilin or "Kirin", an Eastern legend that has traits of chinese dragons, unicorns, deer, big cats, and other beasts. The Qilin was said to be able to walk on water and is known to be a powerful and peaceful creature. The crest on Suicune's head roughly matches the description of the beast's antlers. The spots of Suicune are also significant, seeming to combine the spots of a leopard, taking homage from Fūjin, the Shinto god of The North Wind, who wears leopard skin. Leopards themselves are found in Asia and are featured in myths that show it is a widely respected sacred animal like the Qilin. The way it runs and roars in the anime may also relate to the leopard. Being a Pokémon that represents the wind and rain, Suicune may also be based on some of the world's numerous myths of wind deities. Suicune's mane is meant to resemble a northern aurora.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Come to think of it, wouldn't it kind of make more sense for Suicune to be Ice-type? The other 2 dogs are Raikou the Electric and Entei the Fire. It's always confused me that Suicune isn't at least part-Ice.

Suicune Bulbapedia Entry said:
Suicune is thought to be based on numerous creatures and mythological deities, mainly the Qilin or "Kirin", an Eastern legend that has traits of chinese dragons, unicorns, deer, big cats, and other beasts. The Qilin was said to be able to walk on water and is known to be a powerful and peaceful creature. The crest on Suicune's head roughly matches the description of the beast's antlers. The spots of Suicune are also significant, seeming to combine the spots of a leopard, taking homage from Fūjin, the Shinto god of The North Wind, who wears leopard skin. Leopards themselves are found in Asia and are featured in myths that show it is a widely respected sacred animal like the Qilin. The way it runs and roars in the anime may also relate to the leopard. Being a Pokémon that represents the wind and rain, Suicune may also be based on some of the world's numerous myths of wind deities. Suicune's mane is meant to resemble a northern aurora.
I'm sorry 315111 but these dragon horsies?

those are qilin

that blue ogre looking guy?

that's Fujin

and these horrible mess blight on pokemon most terrible terrible of designs on this side of Kyurem-White?

that's not a mythical animal, japanese demon or leopard

that's Suicune

Last edited:
Come to think of it, wouldn't it kind of make more sense for Suicune to be Ice-type? The other 2 dogs are Raikou the Electric and Entei the Fire. It's always confused me that Suicune isn't at least part-Ice.
Or at least, you know, give it a Flying-type as it has much more in common to winds than water. I'd say Suicune is as much of a candidate for pure Flying-type as Tornadus is.

Or at least, you know, give it a Flying-type as it has much more in common to winds than water. I'd say Suicune is as much of a candidate for pure Flying-type as Tornadus is.
Not really. Suicune, Raikou, and Entei represent the event that happened at the burning tower. Raikou is the lightning that struck the tower, Entei is the fire that burned the tower, and Suicune is the rain that put the fire out. Also, most of Suicune's dex entries talk about it's ability to purify water, with some saying that Suicune embodies the compassion of a pure spring of water. Sui also stands for water in Japanese.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Suicune being Water-type is a reference to the destruction of the Brass/Burned Tower. Raikou represents the lightning that struck the tower, Entei represents the resulting flames that burned it down, and Suicune represents the rain that put the fire out.

EDIT: Shedinja'd

Rapti:
Don't argue with me, argue with Bulbapedia. I directly quoted from them.

The Beast Trio are complicated Pokemon. They have no single inspiration but rather are a combination of both mythological beings and real world animals. Remember when there were arguments about whether they should be called cats or dogs (which then resulted in the joke of them being called gerbils until officially settling on beasts)? Also let's not say a Pokemon isn't slightly based on something, especially a mythological thing, just because it's not a 1:1 design. We can spend a whole discussion about how some Pokemon aren't proper representation of a mythological being (some examples: How can Lapras be the Loch Ness Monster when it has a turtle shell? How can Abomasnow be a yeti when it's part evergreen tree? How can Type: Null/Silvally be a chimera when the classical chimera was a lion with an extra goat head and snake for a tail?). But back on topic, the mythological creatures are just references when it comes to the beasts and may or may not have a heavy influence on their design. Suicune references the Qilin by having decorative horns and can walk on water. Suicune references Fujin as its a wind deity (specifically the North Wind, which is the wind direction that Suicune specifically is said to represent) and it takes design cues from a leopard that Fujin wears the fur of.

Well I wasn't so much arguing with you so much as being upset by Suicune's existance arguing the general point that Suicune and it's fellow gen II roamers are so ill defined as that they might as well be inspired by nothing

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Well I wasn't so much arguing with you so much as being upset by Suicune's existance arguing the general point that Suicune and it's fellow gen II roamers are so ill defined as that they might as well be inspired by nothing
Honestly, a pokemon doesn't have to have an outside influence in its making. I mean, it's extremely rare that they don't, but you must consider that the trio was created for Johto mythology - mythology not influenced by anything else as far as I know. Thus, the goal here is just to give Johto some heritage, and with that unique character. That uniqueness means that it wouldn't have to be inspired by anything (though Ho-oh was).
Speaking of this mythology, where does Lugia fit in it? I've heard about Ho-oh and the 3 beasts several times but Lugia just seems to get its own mythology in-game.

There's something about... ability distributions that bugs me a little.

Drought, Snow Warning and Sand Stream are available to Pokemon that can evolve. Drizzle, on the other hand, is only available on Pokemon that cannot evolve.

Why?

Drought, Snow Warning and Sand Stream are available to Pokemon that can evolve. Drizzle, on the other hand, is only available on Pokemon that cannot evolve.

Why?
I assume you're talking about why there's no NFE Drizzle user? I think it might be 'balance', but I dunno.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.

Why?
Likely because they were thinking, "What can we possibly buff?" when they were distributing these abilities. Most unevolved Water-type Pokémon are either pretty good, meant to be shitmons or already have a good ability. On the other hand, Fire, Rock and especially Ice Pokémon tend to be pretty bad, so they'd need to buff those (only this generation did Fire types become good - last gen they were still pretty bad). I mean, Snover, Alolan Vulpix and Hippopotas would be really bad without their abilities.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Why?
torkoal gets drought and pelipper gets drizzle tho -\_(' '/)_/-

new one: lava plume. it's meant to be like a fire type scald... so why do only nine families (excluding smeargle) learn it? like i get that there are more water types than fire but stuff like infernape and blaziken can't learn the move while their water type counterparts are happily scalding away. it makes no sense man

torkoal gets drought and pelipper gets drizzle tho -\_(' '/)_/-

new one: lava plume. it's meant to be like a fire type scald... so why do only nine families (excluding smeargle) learn it? like i get that there are more water types than fire but stuff like infernape and blaziken can't learn the move while their water type counterparts are happily scalding away. it makes no sense man
Scald has a less specific concept behind it. I don't know all nine, but things that can learn Lava Plume usually have some kind of association with volcanic activity. It would be hard to see that move making sense for Infernape or Blaziken. A possible gameplay reason is that it's a spread move, unlike Scald.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Scald has a less specific concept behind it. I don't know all nine, but things that can learn Lava Plume usually have some kind of association with volcanic activity. It would be hard to see that move making sense for Infernape or Blaziken. A possible gameplay reason is that it's a spread move, unlike Scald.
Exactly, or at least mostly correct. Pokemon Families that can learn Lava Plume (and why) are: Magmar family (live in volcanoes), Flareon (body is covered in flame-looking fur), Cyndaquil family (their backsides can erupt into flame), Slugma family (made of lava), Entei (said every time they roar a volcano erupts and every time a volcano erupts one is born), Numel family (backside are mini volcanoes), Torkoal (same as Numel family), Groudon (represents land and associated with volcanoes it can cause to erupt), Heatran (same as Magmar family).

I think the real question is why Eruption is also not spread to all these Pokemon, it's only limited to Cyndaquil family, Entei, Numel family, Groudon, an Egg Move for Torkoal, and an event move for Heatran.

As for any other Pokemon would could learn these moves, that's tricky. Flareon and Cyndaquil family show that you don't need to have a direct relation with volcanoes to get it, though they may be exceptions that prove the rule. There's seems to be a bias toward land dwelling Pokemon so flying Fire-types are out. So are Pokemon who bodies aren't covered by fire (or give the appearance they are). Maybe Pansear family & Turtonator can get it, though others would be hard justifications (maybe some get get them as Egg Moves, though seem to be a bit more lenient on requirements. Potentials that way are maybe Darumak family, Heatmor, & Litleo family).

So this Fire-type move is explainable, but I do have another which is a odd: Burn Up. Burn Up is a pretty unique move, does high damage with perfect accuracy but at the cost of the user's Fire-typing (if the user is pure Fire-type they become typeless (they receive neutral damage from all moves)). So who gets Burn Up? Cyndaquil family (I'm sensing favoritism) & Moltres via level-up and Growlithe family by Egg Move. What?

All Burn Up is doing is that the user is releasing all their Fire power, something that any Fire-type can probably do. So why so limited? At the very least give it to Fire-types who have an open flame (or the appearance of) part of their design, are fire generators, or are a Legendary: Charmander family, Ponyta family, Magmar family, Flareon, Slugma family (we'll ignore if they did this they'd technically die), Entei, Ho-Oh, Blaziken, Numel family, Torkoal, Chimchar family, Heatran, Victini, Emboar, Pansear family, Darmanitan, Litwik family, Heatmor, Volcarona, Reshiram, Fennekin family, Litleo family, Volcanion, Torracat, Incineroar, Alolan Marowak, & Turtonator.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Exactly, or at least mostly correct. Pokemon Families that can learn Lava Plume (and why) are: Magmar family (live in volcanoes), Flareon (body is covered in flame-looking fur), Cyndaquil family (their backsides can erupt into flame), Slugma family (made of lava), Entei (said every time they roar a volcano erupts and every time a volcano erupts one is born), Numel family (backside are mini volcanoes), Torkoal (same as Numel family), Groudon (represents land and associated with volcanoes it can cause to erupt), Heatran (same as Magmar family).

I think the real question is why Eruption is also not spread to all these Pokemon, it's only limited to Cyndaquil family, Entei, Numel family, Groudon, an Egg Move for Torkoal, and an event move for Heatran.

As for any other Pokemon would could learn these moves, that's tricky. Flareon and Cyndaquil family show that you don't need to have a direct relation with volcanoes to get it, though they may be exceptions that prove the rule. There's seems to be a bias toward land dwelling Pokemon so flying Fire-types are out. So are Pokemon who bodies aren't covered by fire (or give the appearance they are). Maybe Pansear family & Turtonator can get it, though others would be hard justifications (maybe some get get them as Egg Moves, though seem to be a bit more lenient on requirements. Potentials that way are maybe Darumak family, Heatmor, & Litleo family).

So this Fire-type move is explainable, but I do have another which is a odd: Burn Up. Burn Up is a pretty unique move, does high damage with perfect accuracy but at the cost of the user's Fire-typing (if the user is pure Fire-type they become typeless (they receive neutral damage from all moves)). So who gets Burn Up? Cyndaquil family (I'm sensing favoritism) & Moltres via level-up and Growlithe family by Egg Move. What?

All Burn Up is doing is that the user is releasing all their Fire power, something that any Fire-type can probably do. So why so limited? At the very least give it to Fire-types who have an open flame (or the appearance of) part of their design, are fire generators, or are a Legendary: Charmander family, Ponyta family, Magmar family, Flareon, Slugma family (we'll ignore if they did this they'd technically die), Entei, Ho-Oh, Blaziken, Numel family, Torkoal, Chimchar family, Heatran, Victini, Emboar, Pansear family, Darmanitan, Litwik family, Heatmor, Volcarona, Reshiram, Fennekin family, Litleo family, Volcanion, Torracat, Incineroar, Alolan Marowak, & Turtonator.
Well, Typhlosion is known for just burning up. It makes perfect sense to have it. In particular, the distribution I think has to do with power - Typhlosion and Moltres - and to have it featured in VGC - Arcanine (because they know arcanine will be used). That being said, Magmortar, Camperupt, Volcarona, and maybe Entei too should have learned it. Turtonator too could have gotten it.

Then again, it's a Gen 7 move - that reason alone should explain the odd distrubtion :P.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)