Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (All Generations)

that actually was a fairly entertaining read, skar. like how you put some commentary in. maybe you could do it on a rom to allow screenshots and to prevent that crap with your ds? i personally wouldn't find it morally questionable; you own both a ds and game, after all.

Apparently the demo of Gates to Infinity comes out tomorrow, which since it's on the eShop *may* be as soon as in 2.5 hours. Anyone planning to get it and perhaps provide some impressions here?

Think that starting with Axew with a fire partner would be fine, its essentially perfect coverage since i doubt that you're going to fight heatran anytime soon

Think that starting with Axew with a fire partner would be fine, its essentially perfect coverage since i doubt that you're going to fight heatran anytime soon
Plus Axew gets Dig. :3

I think I'm going to start with Oshawott and Snivy. Not because of any viability reason, but because I like them the most. :D

that actually was a fairly entertaining read, skar. like how you put some commentary in. maybe you could do it on a rom to allow screenshots and to prevent that crap with your ds? i personally wouldn't find it morally questionable; you own both a ds and game, after all.
I've played games on emulators before but I've never liked the feel of it.

On another note, I managed to steal borrow my cousin's DS so I should be able to play some more soon.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play Magnagate, though. Restricting me to only 5th gen Pokemon might be a deal breaker for me.

I've played games on emulators before but I've never liked the feel of it.

On another note, I managed to steal borrow my cousin's DS so I should be able to play some more soon.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play Magnagate, though. Restricting me to only 5th gen Pokemon might be a deal breaker for me.
Actually, the game itself isn't restricted to 5th gen Pokémon, just the starters. But there are only a few Pokémon outside of the 5th gen, true. :P

But I personally think it'll be worth it for the graphics, which seem to be aMAZ-ing.

The worst part about the game I can tell is that the text is SO
SLOW

it is actively taking away any enjoyment I have for the game

After trying the demo, I'm not buying. They took way too many steps back. One of those backsteps was the text speed. That was the final straw for me, to be honest. This feels more like a quick cash-in than a real game.

Don't have a 3DS so I can't weigh in on the Magnagate demo, you guys gotta give me more info /puppyeyes

In other news, I finally got my Econ and Calc BC stuff settled and my cousin still hasn't demanded his DS back yet so I should be able to play some more Sky tonight. Gonna be good.

i don't have wi-fi on my 3ds, personally, but i watched marriland play through the demo on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC_dbMXMN98
(his voice is kinda annoying, but whatever. skip to like 3 minutes in)
I AM EXCITE. IT LOOKS GORGEOUS AND I WANT. it looks. amazing. the plot is intriguing, too, and i am really loving the partnermon's personality.

if text speed really can't be sped up, that'll be annoying; but can you not just hold 'a' when the text is coming to speed it up, if you can't simply switch the text speed? even so, not the end of the world; bulk of the time will be used in dungeons, anyway.

So yeah, had a little session of Sky last night.

Wake up in bed, Loudred yells at me, blah blah what else is new. Apparently this was one of the days where nothing is going on and you have to play random missions to advance the plot. So I instantly ran up to the boards to grab every mission in Mount Bristle for grinding, only to realise that there were no missions in Mount Bristle for some reason. I got stuck with a bounty mission and two rescue missions in Drenched Bluff, which was cool but also kind of sucked since I one-shotted every wild pokemon.

I hit the sixth floor and fought a Corsola. Would have been a fun fight if Ancientpower wasn't so OP and gave me like 3 +everything boosts in a row. I teleport out of the dungeon, eat some food, and then go to bed.

Next day was a little more fun. I played "guess the footprint" which is really the easiest minigame ever. Not much to say here-guessed footprints, got the correct one, ???, profit.

I stopped playing because I was tired, but hopefully next time there'll be more actual story for me to make fun of.

So yeah, had a little session of Sky last night.

Wake up in bed, Loudred yells at me, blah blah what else is new. Apparently this was one of the days where nothing is going on and you have to play random missions to advance the plot. So I instantly ran up to the boards to grab every mission in Mount Bristle for grinding, only to realise that there were no missions in Mount Bristle for some reason. I got stuck with a bounty mission and two rescue missions in Drenched Bluff, which was cool but also kind of sucked since I one-shotted every wild pokemon.

I hit the sixth floor and fought a Corsola. Would have been a fun fight if Ancientpower wasn't so OP and gave me like 3 +everything boosts in a row. I teleport out of the dungeon, eat some food, and then go to bed.

Next day was a little more fun. I played "guess the footprint" which is really the easiest minigame ever. Not much to say here-guessed footprints, got the correct one, ???, profit.

I stopped playing because I was tired, but hopefully next time there'll be more actual story for me to make fun of.
ominous wind/silver wind in particular are so broken in this game, i find...
guess the footprint is great; i even electively play it after i beat the game.
good stuff, can't wait for more.

So a lot of stuff to talk about this time. I'll skip all the bullshit days where you do nothing and focus on the actual plot.

Waterfall Cave happened in between the last update and now but that is literally the least interesting mission in the game, since it's literally only there to establish how much of a douchebag Wigglytuff is and what exactly the Dimensional Scream does.

Another morning, this time Chatot gathers us all together to talk about the big expedition the guild is planning. Then I go upstairs to pick up some missions and team Skull shows up. Skuntank just saunters down the ladders (how does that fat thing with no arms climb a ladder) and one hit kills me from super far away. (OMG SKUNTANK FOR UBERS NAO)

Inconsistencies in this scene:

Let's say you had Bulbasaur as your player character. Why would the poison breath one hit KO you if you were poison type? I was Phanpy, a ground type, so the cloud would also be not very effective on me....

Why do none of the 5+ pokemon in the room notice what's happening? Well...not entirely true, they do notice when the cloud drifts their way, but they still don't intervene even after seeing Bulbasaur getting shoved into a corner by three intimidating-looking poison types and another pokemon lying dead/unconscious/wishing they had a gas mask on the floor. Verdict: the guild pokemon really don't give a shit if you get hurt.

So they get out of the way and let me access the board after a lengthy conversation about how I was giving Bulbasaur courage and what not. I actually thought this kind of cutscene was really touching the first time I played through, but this time I'm just embarassed and look away from the screen and frantically mash the A button through it.

That's why you don't complement me-because when you do I scroll as fast as I can through them because for some perverse reason I hate people telling me that I did a good job.

No, Bulbasaur, I'm not giving you courage. You found it for yourself after watching me throw rocks with the power of my mind (i think that's what ancientpower is?), sacrifice my physical health for you (take down ftw), and throw that Oran Berry at you in a bounty fight because you were too damn stupid cowardly to grab the damn thing out of our explorer bag on your turn.

But I digress.

Two days of missions later and I get the call to go to Apple Woods. I pretty much just facerolled my way to the end of this dungeon with Take Down. Halfway through I picked up Rollout, which I deleted Take Down for. Multi hit moves are simply godly in PMD and I feel blessed to have both a hero and a partner who can abuse multi hit moves.

And I have Ancientpower. So yeah Phanpy is easy mode.

End of the dungeon, I find the tree with the perfect apples. Skuntank kindly shows me how to retrieve the perfect apples before teaming up with Koffing to instantly kill ME, MY PARTNER, THE ZUBAT THAT'S SUPPOSEDLY ON THEIR TEAM, AND THE TWO POISON TYPES I RECRUITED IN APPLE WOODS.

Skuntank for Ubers.

I go back and Chatot tells me that there's no hope of us making it onto the expedition thanks to this failure, no dinner tonight, AND we have to face Wigglytuff and explain the whole damn thing ourselves.

Another inconsistency here: Bulbasaur can photosynthesise, why the hell is he A. eating with us and B. hungry at all? Just plug him into a bowl of water and leave him in the sun for 10 minutes and he's good to go.

But that doesn't matter now. Wigglytuff hears that he won't have his Perfect Apples for a while, then begins his transformation into Super Saiyan Wigglytuff. Chatot tells us all to cover our ears (maybe he has choice specs hyper voice or something?) Then Skuntank shows up and bails us out with a perfect apple. And I have to apologize for accusing him of messing with us.

Skuntank for ubers.

Wow, that was hilarious XD Let me (try to) address those inconsistencies. First of all, unless you're Steel-type, Skuntank's poison gas can still harm you. Plus, since you've never battled Skuntank, you have no clue what level he is. He could be Level 100 and therefore knock you out instantly! I'm guessing you're not anywhere near Level 100 at this point in the game :p

Secondly, Bulbasaur, as seen in the anime, will eat food and photosynthesize. My guess is that it needs to do both in order to sustain both the plant and animal parts. Also, when you're eating dinner, it's night, so Bulbasaur can't just plop down and photosynthesize!

As for the guild members, well, their IQs are so low their actions don't even matter. Just look at Bidoof.

Anyway, keep writing these! They bring back good memories...

I gotta say I found team Skull kinda lame. I am a real big fan of the original antagonist team, Gengar, Ekans, and Medicham. They were totally amazing. I was really a fan of the original game with its abundance of stat-boosting Gummies in Uproar Forest. I also really enjoyed the Purity Forest challenge. The Zero-Islands are cool in the Explorers of Time/Darkness, but the challenge of Purity Forest was just a million times harder. I actually cleared it, only just though.
Who all here has completed the Purity Forest challenges.

Rotom for Conqueror!

I gotta say I found team Skull kinda lame. I am a real big fan of the original antagonist team, Gengar, Ekans, and Medicham. They were totally amazing. I was really a fan of the original game with its abundance of stat-boosting Gummies in Uproar Forest. I also really enjoyed the Purity Forest challenge. The Zero-Islands are cool in the Explorers of Time/Darkness, but the challenge of Purity Forest was just a million times harder. I actually cleared it, only just though.
Who all here has completed the Purity Forest challenges.

Rotom for Conqueror!
Well, Team Skull was decidedly more evil then Team (whatever they were in PMD1, I can't remember), but the first team were definitely deeper as characters. The whole "Gengar" subplot was really an amazing "final" ending following the already pretty amazing main storyline ending.

Also, the first time I played through Explorers (I'm doing Sky right now but my first playthrough was on Time), I felt soooooooooo cockblocked when Wigglytuff stepped in right before I got the chance to fight Team Skull at Fogbound Lake. Or that time when they send you off to get killed at Amp Plains and Dusknoir tells them to gtfo instead of giving you a chance to fight them yourself.

EDIT: Zero Isle South and the Purity Forest dungeon are both pretty much impossible to do without a preplanned, dedicated strategy. TBH Purity Forest in PMD1 is easier (I say this having not beaten either myself) because the wild pokemon spawns are easier on the lower floors, and you can abuse Charizard and its Heat Wave to clear early level monster houses, which is unavailable in Explorers because they took out Charizard's level 1 Heat Wave.

The only video I've seen of someone finishing Zero Isle South involved him playing Alakazam and using Teleport every time he ran into an enemy. He finished the dungeon at level 5 IIRC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfNNpTF-Zg[/youtube]

Here's one where a guy runs in with his Mesprit and goes crazy. He uses a lot of pretty cool tricks, along with some luck.

Definitely going to pick PMD:EoS back up before G2I comes out.

In Explorers of Sky, there's also Destiny Tower, which is supposedly tougher than Zero Isle South because it eliminates all your IQ skills, even skills like Item Catcher, and there are no Reviver Seeds to be found. This dungeon is probably the hardest in Mystery Dungeon history, but Purity Forest has the best reward out of all three (who doesn't want to recruit Celebi?).

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[youtube]LSfNNpTF-Zg[/youtube]

Here's one where a guy runs in with his Mesprit and goes crazy. He uses a lot of pretty cool tricks, along with some luck.

Definitely going to pick PMD:EoS back up before G2I comes out.
Fixed your video link for you~

I've actually had a blast playing the G2I demo - you can use the Discover a Manganate feature over and over again to play through dungeons, and despite the fact that they're so similar I just LOVE them. The music is beautiful, I really like the new dungeon layouts, and those Braviary are such a tantalizing mystery~ if only the teammates weren't so dumb sometimes though...

Fixed your video link for you~

I've actually had a blast playing the G2I demo - you can use the Discover a Manganate feature over and over again to play through dungeons, and despite the fact that they're so similar I just LOVE them. The music is beautiful, I really like the new dungeon layouts, and those Braviary are such a tantalizing mystery~ if only the teammates weren't so dumb sometimes though...

Lol, I clocked in over 7 hours from just the DEMO.

Does anyone know if you can take your partner off your team postgame in G2I? I mean, I like my partner, but I want to have a team of just my favorite Pokemon, and Quagsire won't let me take him off. :/

I recently finished the main story of PMD : Blue team rescue and I enjoyed it a lot !
I'm not fond of the game mechanics tbh but I really loved the storyline. I like how you become a pokemon and interact with other pokemon as friends instead of being your pet/slave etc.

I honestly answered the questions and became Charmander. I chose Chikorita as my partner because this poor thing is underrated and rarely chosen in the normal series and I like the Chikorita line a lot. This guy made me cry by being so cute and so nice with me !
In the dungeons, he learned razor leaf very fast which has been very useful and it cas also tank hits very well. He's a great partner imo.

About recruits, I liked the magnemite who joins you near the start. It learns supersonic and T-wave. Supersonic being an OP move imo, it doesn't have the crappy accuracy of the regular games and when an ennemy is confused, it rarely hits me and it lasts a long time.
I linked Supersonic and T-wave on magnemite for instant and deadly parafusion to cripple the enemy. I used this on Rayquaza and it couldn't do a thing :p.

I found that some moves are surprisingly like leech life or astonish that deal an absurd ton of damage, I find that weird...

I don't really feel like playing the after game though, the storyline is what really dragged me into the game but I find exploring dungeons just for exploring quickly boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)