Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

and before anyone says that it's more efficient to just re-do the Elite Four and maybe that damn boat between Olivine and Vermillion; this is just so you don't go mad with boredom battling the same 6 trainers for eternity
There's also the Trainer House in Viridian City that can be done once a day, and even if you don't link battle anyone Cal's team gives decent experience.

All language versions and Crystal have ACE through a much more complicated glitch (bad clone/Celebi glitch extension to hold a key item -> get duplicate key items in the Key Items pocket -> swap them for item corruption -> Key Items pocket underflow -> other pockets underflow -> glitch item into ACE).
Update: GCL has a less complicated method (still requires a frame-perfect bad clone though). Bad clone glitch -> Party overflow glitch -> stack pointer corruption directly into ACE. GCL thread here: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8097.0
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8097.0
The part up to unlocking ACE should work in all languages and all releases including Crystal. The setup afterward to turn the ACE into something stable and desirable looks like it's been figured out for European language G/S because that's where it's most valuable (Crystal doesn't have a VC release yet, and Japanese versions have a different ACE glitch that's more difficult than Coin Case glitch but easier than bad clone glitch. Doesn't look like anyone has a Korean 3DS to test out a Korean language setup yet).

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd forgotten how horrible it is trying to catch the legendary roamers in Gold/Silver.

Nintendo obviously didn't think it was awful enough to have them run on their first turn, but to give them Roar too to negate Mean Look. Wonderful.
Honestly I just said "screw it" and cloned Master Balls while going between two routes with a ton of repels lol.

I got Suicune and Raikou pretty fast, but Entei took a grueling hour x_x

Going back through the game has been pretty cool, although the game shows its age more than ever. The legendary beasts are the absolute worst part, doable without a doubt, but still borderline infuriating. Something that I had forgotten about though was how useful magmar could be in the main game.

I knew that the level curve and Pokemon distribution in GS were bad, but I never knew they were this bad until I went through Serebii to try to plan a team. Seriously, why is every Dark-type restricted to postgame? Why is Misdreavus only catchable at Mt. Silver? And why are the wild Pokemon still level 5 once you have two badges?

I knew that the level curve and Pokemon distribution in GS were bad, but I never knew they were this bad until I went through Serebii to try to plan a team. Seriously, why is every Dark-type restricted to postgame? Why is Misdreavus only catchable at Mt. Silver? And why are the wild Pokemon still level 5 once you have two badges?
You can get Umbreon during the main story. The awkward level curve post Morty is to make the game less linear but at the cost of levels. I can only guess at the low levelled Mons help keep your teams own levels down with minimum experience. It is quite poor though

I do actually enjoy the process of catching the legendary beasts even more so on crystal where Ho-oh is unlocked with their capture. Back then it didnt have a shitload of things to do so the beasts were a nice challenge. It made them even more unique once captured.

It's been a week since my Ho-Oh Shiny Hunt and still turn out nothing. I haven't kept track but it's safe to says I'm around 1000 resets. I now know the pain of full odds Shiny Hunting.

Used the Gen 1 Mimic glitch to nab myself a shiny Ditto... about ten hours of painstaking breeding later (and only about 80 eggs)...

Screw not having Flame Body or anything else remotely useful. It took me like an hour to hatch five eggs.
Do you have a link of the mimic glitch?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not quite, it’s more complicated than that. Your shiny Pokémon must know Mimic. You have to Mimic Transform so the Wild Ditto knows it still upon Transforming into your shiny. It then has to use Transform a second time against your Pokémon to permanently keep the DVs.

And as a side note: it doesn't matter if the ditto uses transform more than two times. Once it uses transform a second time you're good, so you don't need to throw a master ball if you're not good with glitches/already used it

My team is curently:

Typhlosion Lv. 36
-Dig
-Headbutt
-Smokescreen
-Fire Punch

Ampharos Lv. 32
-Tackle (weakens mons to capture)
-Strength
-Thunder Punch
-Thunder Wave (makes capture easier and works in tandem with Typhlosion's Smoke Screen)

Scyther (not gonna be Scizor) Lv. 33
-Rock Smash
-Fury Cutter (pretty dang good at sweeping trainers with 3+ pokemon)
-Focus Energy
-Wing attack

Sunflora Lv. 32
-Petal Dance
-Growth
-Mega Drain
-Sunny Day (for future Solar Beam and Typhlosion)

Tentacruel Lv. 33
-BubbleBeam
-SuperSonic
-Surf
-Acid

Ursaring Lv. 31
-Headbutt
-Faint attack
-Ice Punch (Ursaring's spA may be terrible, but Geodude, Graveler, and onix have even worse spDef!)
-Fury Swipes

I use Farfetch'd and shuckie as HM slaves. I chose cyndaquil even though i usually choose grass starter, because he BLAZES through the annoying early game. Had a bellsprout, but i accidentally made him forget vine whip for growth, so i dropped him. He did his job in obliterating those early rock/ground pokemon that wall cyndaquil. Also, belsprout/weepenbell have to be stuck with wimpy vinewhip until level 37/39! That's unacceptable! Vine whip only has 10 freakin pp. Sunflora is much better. Quilava loses a lot of momentum midgame when its stuck with ember until level 30... but now that he's typhlosion with fire punch, he's back up to speed.

I choose Ursaring due to my other options flopping. I wanted a skarmory and I could have sworn he was a gold version pokemon... Then I turned to natu and almost retched when I saw his level up move pool. So ursaring It was even though he doesnt add much coverage to the team! Was actually fairly quick to level grind Tediursa against tentacool/cruel thanks to headbutt and their bad defense.

Serebii and Bulbapedia say that all Kadabras traded from Yellow to Gen 2 games should hold a TwistedSpoon. I caught Abra in Yellow, then evolved it into Kadabra and then we proceeded to trade it to my friend's Gold. Kadabra evolved into Alakazam (pressing B didn't stop the evolution) and instead it was holding TM09 (Psych Up).

Did we do something wrong?

It means all Kadabras that were specifically caught as a Kadabra, as opposed to being evolved from Abra. The item byte in G2 piggybacked off a byte in the G1 data structure that was reserved for catch rate, even though it was never meaningfully used on the player's Pokemon there. Abra has a different, higher catch rate than Kadabra, but once you catch something in RBY, that byte is set to the catch rate that it had in the form you encountered it, and does not update if it evolves to a different species with a different catch rate.

The developers knew about this plan for the future of the catch rate byte in time for Yellow development, because when you get the starter Pikachu there, the game runs a routine to change its catch rate so that instead of using the normal catch rate for Pikachu (which is indistinguishable from the value on things like Growlithe and Psyduck), it sets a signature value which would go on to be reserved for the Light Ball.

Basically, imagine all wild Abra in Yellow as holding an invisible TM09, and imagine all wild Kadabra in Yellow as holding an invisible TwistedSpoon.

Question on the mimic glitch actually. I forgot to heal the shiny ditto after transferring it to gen 2. It's still shiny, but is that gonna mess up the 1/64 odds because I didn't heal the ditto?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)