Programming Pokemon Online replay player

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is neat stuff! I've already given it a test run, and it seemed to work as intended. I haven't pushed it too hard, but I'll definitely let you know if I run into any issues that are fixable (sucks that PO's info is so limited)

I should probably post the bugs that I mentioned before here.

I noticed another bug in a different battle where someone had either used rest or was put to sleep, then had one of their pokemon use heal bell. The pokemon were using their moves like normal, but were still marked as asleep.

Sorry I don't have the actual log for the battle.

I'd also like to make a feature request if that's OK. It could be pretty cool to allow the adding of comments on the replay page.

EDIT: Another bug with a log this time. Snorlax uses Belly drum turn two, but doesn't get its HP cut by half. It's also somehow still alive after ending up with 45% HP with the belly drum that didn't happen.

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-fitzy72-vs-sharktamer--2011-02-12

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Um.....i cant view any of the replays.....i press play and nothing happens at all. is it my computer that's unable to play to play it or something wrong with the site?
I update it pretty often, you might just have visited the site in the middle of an update.

Does refreshing fix it?

If not, my next guess is that it has something to do with your browser. Which browser do you use? I develop in Chrome so I can mostly guarantee that Chrome and Safari work, and I tested Firefox once and it works. Opera and IE9 tend to work with anything Chrome/Safari/Firefox work with, so my guess is that you have IE8 or IE7? I haven't tested those, so those could have issues.

What license is the source code released under? Is it free and open source software or proprietary?
Pokemon sprites: I disclaim copyright for these.

battle.js rendering engine and battle.css graphics: CC-BY-NC-3.0. This is not an open-source license - it has a non-commercial stipulation. I might change it to open-source in the future, though.

All other .js files (battledata.js move animations, pokedex.js pokemon data): CC-0 (This is an open-source license - it's a public domain dedication and a BSD-like license).

Images: These are listed in battledata.js. Half are from OpenGameArt (those have links to the OGA page). Two I've relicensed CC-0 from the US government, and the others which I've made myself are CC-0.

All PHP files (including converter.lib.php): CC-0.

I noticed another bug in a different battle where someone had either used rest or was put to sleep, then had one of their pokemon use heal bell. The pokemon were using their moves like normal, but were still marked as asleep.
Aromatherapy's been fixed. Heal Bell hasn't; I still need a replay with Heal Bell to fix it.

I'd also like to make a feature request if that's OK. It could be pretty cool to allow the adding of comments on the replay page.
I can do this... eventually. Probably in the next few days?

EDIT: Another bug with a log this time. Snorlax uses Belly drum turn two, but doesn't get its HP cut by half. It's also somehow still alive after ending up with 45% HP with the belly drum that didn't happen.
Fixed.

Ending up with 45% HP is because Double-Edge recoil isn't included in PO replay data, and was estimated.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there'll soon be a new version of PO whose replays have more accurate recoil.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is super awesome. Well you see, the explanation is perfectly simple and scientific. It was because shut up this is awesome. Shut up this is awesome is why.

This app is very neat, i thank you for all your hard work and effort!

A very intense battle.
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay--smirk-vs-THANK-YOU-BASED-GOD--2011-08-17

With what you developed is there even a need for warstories now? I assume people can still read them if they're interested in doing so, but this is so much better.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I've improved the detection and it works on that replay now.

It still won't work in general, unless you're using a replay made with the latest version of Pokemon Online.

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-California-vs-Yusake--2011-08-20

Seems to use the effects on the wrong sides, and then just stop at turn 2
:( I broke the side-detector when I was updating it to work with mirror matchups (specifically, the six-Magikarp game).

(Would be so much easier if PO just recorded which side you're on. <_< )

It's fixed again.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With what you developed is there even a need for warstories now? I assume people can still read them if they're interested in doing so, but this is so much better.
Warstories are still great sources of player's insight and reflections of the battle that replays do not capture. I like what Snunch did with his UU warstory - he posted the replay for us to familiarize with the battle before diving into the warstory. It's a good preview of the battle - a great way to decide whether or not I want to commit reading the warstory.

Does anyone else think a "warstory mode" would be nice for this tool, where users could somehow add comments per turn as they would in a warstory and have the viewer manually switch through turns as they watch the battle?

EDIT: A rating system could also be pretty awesome too.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone else think a "warstory mode" would be nice for this tool, where users could somehow add comments per turn as they would in a warstory and have the viewer manually switch through turns as they watch the battle?

You can add comments in manually by editing the log, so, in my opinion, a feature like that doesn't have to be added. However, I agree that a "Warstory" mode where it puts extra emphasis on the text and requires prompting to advance the turn would be a really cool.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Warstory mode would pretty much revolutionize the way we warstory - that would be sick.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Just thought I'd mention that yes, this program does not work on IE8 (and therefore presumably IE7). Don't know if there's anything you can do about this (or if you care enough to do anything about it), just throwing it out there.

Does this not work with logs from the newest version of PO? I've had a few battles and none of them work. Gives me the

replay viewer said:
Error: Replay file must an original Pokemon Online replay file. Copying and pasting replay text into another file will not work.
error.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
This is a great idea, and you should have thought of it earlier. <_<

Hmm, it needs some way to prevent multiple votes and other forms of "gaming the system". Ideas?

You can add comments in manually by editing the log, so, in my opinion, a feature like that doesn't have to be added. However, I agree that a "Warstory" mode where it puts extra emphasis on the text and requires prompting to advance the turn would be a really cool.
Warstory mode would pretty much revolutionize the way we warstory - that would be sick.
On the other hand, I've been thinking about Warstory Mode since the beginning.

I'm not sure of how to do it, though. It seems warstories would be better as just text with a link to the replay. Maybe a screenshot for every turn? I like the ability to scroll up and down a warstory as a read it...

Does this not work with logs from the newest version of PO? I've had a few battles and none of them work.
Could you send me a replay? Upload it to something like mediafire?

Just thought I'd mention that yes, this program does not work on IE8 (and therefore presumably IE7). Don't know if there's anything you can do about this (or if you care enough to do anything about it), just throwing it out there.
IE8 support shouldn't be too hard to do (it won't have rounded borders, of course), but IE7 may or may not be a lost cause. I'd have to take a look to be sure.

Fun fact: My replay viewer is guaranteed not to support IE5. Several of the later features use things like for..in, array.splice, not to mention the W3C box model. As for IE6, it doesn't support setting both left: and right: on absolutely positioned elements, nor does it support transparent PNGs, but these can be worked around if I really cared that much.

I tested IE9 and it works, though!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Also, in case anyone cares, here are what's changed over the past two days:

- Images get buffered -> You shouldn't see images still loading during the replay

- Imposter and Transform -> now supported (with pretty cool animations)

- Protect, Magic Coat, Magic Bounce -> now have really cool animations

- Thunder Wave, Aqua Jet, ExtremeSpeed, Quick Attack, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Eruption, Dig, Dive, Seed Bomb, Megahorn, Volt Switch, Electro Ball, Healing Wish, Grass Knot, and being fully paralyzed -> also now have animations, also pretty cool, but man, you should see the Magic Coat animation.

- Trainer sprites -> now randomly chooses between the six DPP/HGSS/BW player sprites

- Spectator replays -> supported, but might crash if you only started watching around turn 7 or something

Practically every replay should be supported by now. One problem I'm not sure if I've entirely fixed was a Zoroark Illusion crash - it shouldn't crash, but it might still have have weird behavior.

Here's a replay with a successful Magic Coat, by the way: http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Eric-the-troll-vs-tangela2--2011-06-04

Pocket

Loved what you did here, aeo :D

I watched your sample battle with Magic Coat. Everything seems perfect, except at Turn 14, Cresselia healed 50% health with Moonlight when it was Sunny - shouldn't it be 66%?

Chandelure's Flamethrower animation kinda got glitchy at Turn 25 when it hit nothing.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I watched your sample battle with Magic Coat. Everything seems perfect, except at Turn 14, Cresselia healed 50% health with Moonlight when it was Sunny - shouldn't it be 66%?

Chandelure's Flamethrower animation kinda got glitchy at Turn 25 when it hit nothing.
Both are fixed now.

Here's a link to one of the logs that wouldn't work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?npp7d49oecefcjd

I probably have something set in PO that changes the format or something.
Nah, I've been talking to coyotte to give the next version of PO some replay format changes. It's all to be expected. Once your new replays are supported, they'll handle things like Regenerator and Natural Cure correctly, and things like Leech Seed and recoil can be handled exactly.

edit: k, fixed: http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-sharktamer-vs-Google--2011-08-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)