Pokkén Tournament

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Aegislash (and Support Pokemon Mimikyu and Mega Rayquaza) are now live. And here's the shot of the player select screen now:

Two empty slots. Now one is greyed out already because Blastoise is coming, but could the other empty space be promise of more DLC? Let's take a look at the fighters so far from both a type and Generation perspective:

NOTE: Not counting doubles like Pikachu Libre and Shadow Mewtwo

Normal: (NONE)
Fighting:
Machamp, Blaziken, Croagunk, Lucario
Flying: Charizard
Poison: Gengar, Croagunk
Ground: Garchomp
Rock: (NONE)
Bug:
Scizor
Ghost: Gengar, Chandelure, Aegislash
Steel: Scizor, Empoleon, Lucario, Aegislash
Fire: Charizard, Blaziken, Chandelure, Braixen
Water: Blastoise, Suicune, Empoleon
Grass: Sceptile, Decidueye
Electric: Pikachu
Psychic: Mewtwo, Gardevoir
Ice: Weavile
Dragon: Garchomp
Dark: Weavile, Darkrai
Fairy: Gardevoir

Gen I: Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, Machamp, Gengar, Mewtwo
Gen II: Scizor, Suicune
Gen III: Sceptile, Blaziken, Gardevoir
Gen IV: Empoleon, Croagunk, Garchomp, Lucario, Weavile, Darkrai
Gen V: Chandelure
Gen VI: Braixen, Aegislash
Gen VII: Decidueye

So, what can we can obviously say is that we need a Normal- and Rock-type. And though Gen I and IV may have good/popular choices, I think a Pokemon of that type from another generation would maybe be a better idea for representation. Going back to types, I'd also say a few would probably benefit from additional representation: Flying, Poison (though it has two, Gengar is mostly seen as a Ghost-type leaving Croagunk alone), Ground, Bug, Electric, Ice, Dragon, Dark, and Fairy. I started making a list... but it started to get too big. There's plenty of choices, they just gotta look... OR they could just keep milking Nostalgia until Moo Moo Milk costs 1 Pokedollar and starts tasting sour.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Blastoise trailer:
Looks like either a Technique or Power character.
A lot of shell spinning attacks, water spraying, and has a wide range trapping move via firing bubbles which traps the target in a bubble if it hits.
Burst looks like it uses an ice attack with its hand mounts to keep it in place as it unleashes a power water blast from its central cannon.

I know they have to do this for the sake of gameplay, but his limbs look too long and it just ends up looking weird. Blastoise usually is stubby and his arms don't bend.

At least they tried to make it look like its limbs are just fully extending out from its shell, as it would appear for an actual turtle or tortoise that was stretching or swimming, rather than walking. It's almost as though they're trying to play it off that blastoise normally stay somewhat withdrawn within relaxed settings, until they actually get drawn into the heat of battle. Unfortunately, Blastoise has been around for over twenty years with no evidence to back this concept up, so it just comes off looking kind of unnatural, which is a shame, because it does somewhat gently fix the common trope that earlier Pokémon had with stubby body design.

Is it just me, or does the lip of the shell seem to overhang the head a bit more noticeably than normal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)