Porygon-Z Theory [Discussion]

Warning: LONG post

So as you can tell, I like the Gen 4 OU metagame. And as such, I will be making threads like this every so often that focus on discussing how we can make lesser-used pokemon work. This is not a discussion of "I think x should be moved up/down on the viability ranking because y". If it were that, I would cover it on the viability ranking where it belongs.

As far as the next thread like this, I might do Honchkrow.

Porygon-Z is currently ranked D tier in the viability ranking. As much as I like this Pokemon, it has numerous problems which hold it back in the meta:

It requires setup to work, and good luck setting up this duck on anything. Other late game mons like Lucario can set up because Lucario is a Fighting-type, and can scare Normal-types, Rock-types (lol Tyranitar), and other types out. This allows Lucario to get a Swords Dance off. Porygon-Z is Normal-type, so it can't scare anything out. You're probably just going to have to take a hit.

Speaking of taking a hit, Porygon-Z's defenses are pretty bad. Better than Lucario's defenses, but that's not saying much. Its frality prevents it from taking many hits from anything, and most Fighting moves will pretty much OHKO. This normally isn't too much of an issue, but Porygon-Z is forced to take a hit when setting up most of the time.

Third, it has 90 speed and no priority, so it gets outsped and seriously hurt by many faster offensive threats. You pretty much need Agility or Choice Scarf to get a good sweep going, because priority isn't an option on this mon.

Fourth, this pokemon is completely screwed over by Scizor, Tyranitar, Gengar and most priority. The three Pokemon I mentioned will probably be seen on a lot of competitive teams and they laugh at Porygon-Z, even after setting up. Not to mention most priority moves, especially Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, will make short work of PZ before it can do anything. Gengar doesn't seem as obvious, but it can actually survive a non-boosted Ice Beam from Porygon-Z, which is the only move PZ usually has that can even hit Gengar for damage. Gengar can then quickly kill it with Focus Blast (or Explosion if the Gengar has LO).

Lastly, not as big of a flaw as the others, but its best STAB special move besides lolhyperbeam is Tri Attack, a move with 80 BP.

However, this pokemon does have some things going for it.

The raw power is the most iconic thing about this Pokemon. It has 135 Special Attack, the highest in the entire tier if I'm not mistaken. In addition, it gets Adaptability, which doubles the power of Tri Attack, its bread and butter move. If you can get an Agility boost off, you will destroy most things not named Scizor, Tyranitar, Gengar or most mons with priority. The Agility set with HP Ground hits 404 Special Attack without boosts.

Another advantage to this Pokemon is its coverage. With Tri Attack, you can hit almost every Pokemon at least neutrally with Adaptability, if Ice Beam and Hidden Power Ground / HP Fighting don't provide a better option,

I think these sets would work best, as they patch up the speed issue:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- HP Ground / HP Fighting

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest / Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- HP Ground / HP Fighting
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Both of these sets solve the speed issue. The first set has the problem of setting up, the second set has the problem of being movelocked and occasionally outsped by faster scarfed mons. HP Fighting gets rid of Tyranitar, we can't do much about Scizor, Gengar, and the priority though.

Really, the most solvable problem with a discussion looks to be the problem with setting up with the first set. If anyone uses PZ, how do you usually deal with the problem of setting up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)