SM OU Psychic Power Core Team

Introduction
This is my first RMT of Generation 7 so I will especially need feedback as I am still getting used the teambuilding aspect of the gen 7 metagame. Psychic is my favorite pokemon type so I decided to use a core of two amazing psychic types to utilize the amazing power of psychic pokemon.
Heatran
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp

This is a pretty standard Heatran set which serves the sole purpose as a stealth rocks lead and too wittle down physical attackers like Garchomp, Salamence, Kartana, and Mawile that can hurt this team. Heatran is also the answer to bulky steel types. Lava Plume is Heatran's main STAB option because it has a relatively high chance to burn in case Will-o-Wisp misses. Earth Power is ran to take down other Heatran and strong electric types.

Tapu Lele
Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Moonblast
- Taunt

This is a stallbreaking Tapu Lele set. Pretty self-explanatory. I chose to run a Terrain Extender in case Mega Alakazam comes in later than anticipated and too prevent the use of Ice Shard, Bullet Punch, and Sucker Punch longer. Psyshock is run instead of Psychic to get rid of Specially Bulky Pokemon such as Chansey. Hidden Power Fire is run to take down steel types. Moonblast is used as an alternate STAB option. Taunt is used too break stall.

Mega Alakazam
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Mega Alakazam is my favorite mega Pokemon just because of how fast it is and how hard it hits. Even though the Calm Mind set is more popular with non-mega Alakazam, this Alakazam set functions as a late game sweeper, once all of its threats are removed. Psyshock is used, again, to target Chanseys and defensively weak pokemon. Focus Blast is used for steel types and to check Heatran. Shadow Ball is used for extra coverage.

Magnezone
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is another check to steel types that aren't weak to Alakazam's Focus Blast such as Skarmory and Celesteela. This set is pretty standard, except Hidden Power Fire is run instead of Hidden Power Ice as a check to Excadrill. Volt Switch is used to get chip damage off and as a form of scouting.

Ash Greninja
Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Ash Greninja is easily the best pokemon in OU (besides Landorus-T) and has a lot of versitility. I chose to run Life Orb on Ash-Greninja because I already have another choice specs mon on my team and this set is more useful in the sense that I won't be locked into the same move and it will prevent less hard-switches. I chose to run a Naive nature so I can get some good damage off with U-turn. Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse, and Water Shuriken are used as STAB and priority options (however Water Shuriken will not work in Psychic Terrain).

Weavile
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

I chose Weavile as the final mon because I need a physical attacker on my team. Weavile is the perfect revenge killer as it can take out Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Alakazam that can give my team a hard time. All of its moves are STAB and it does not need the Ice Shard priority that will be negated by Psychic Terrain because Weavile is already in a high speed tier.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp​

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Thanks! I look forward to any feedback you might have :).

Last edited:
The team is garbage, 4 Pokemon are weak to fighting and Lele isn't a switch in. Every Mon on here is frail, if this is a HO team it was built poorly as most of these Mons don't have synergy, Bulu would be a better option as it weakens EQ and adds bulk to the team also has great synergy with Tran and Greninja. My advice start from scratch

You hardly are of any help...I suggest you to run Shed Shell> Terrain Extender on Tapu Lele in order to stallbreak more effectively (avoiding Dugtrio's trapping), and also to try the Assault Vest on Magnezone to make it able to check opposing Greninja at least 1 time. Since 3 members out of six are pretty much setup fodder for Magearna, you could run a Chople Berry on Heatran instead of Leftovers, so it can survive Focus Blast and send Magearna to the grave.
Overall it's definitely not a bad team altough you may have a pretty large threatlist to account for (Volcarona, Zygarde come to mind), maybe I'll elaborate later

Last edited:
For starters, this team is lacking a Scarfer to revenge kill major threats like Volcarona and Magearna. I would suggest Scarf Garchomp -> Magnezone(really anyone can be replaced, but given the fact the team is built around Lele + Mega Zam and Tran is for rocks, this is probably the most reasonable).

Here's the set I would suggest:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

EQ allows you to rkill Magearna, Outrage for things like Zygarde (which the team is also weak to), and Fire Blast for the Steels that Magnezone was supposed to trap. The Choice between Rock Slide and Stone Edge is down to preference (I prefer RS for the accuracy that still KOs Volcarona and M-Pinsir), but Stone Edge allows you to rkill pokes that are only 2x weak to Rock like Thundurus and Tornadus without needing SR support - which Tran provides which is why I say Rock Slide is prob better)

Hi!

The most prominent weakness I see on this team is it's lack of a ground resist. This is even more prominent with the fact that you have terrain extender for Psychic Terrain. While this benefits mega-zam, it also makes Scarfed- Lando-T and Scarf Chomp to become major threats, as nothing can switch in. This becomes a bigger problem when you consider that your own terrain would prevent Weavile from revenge killing.

I will respect that you want to keep the psychic core, so here are some minor changes I would make to the overall team.

-As others have mentioned, change out Magnezone. Currently, while Magnezone traps steels for Lele and Zam, they are already heavily pressured by Focus Miss and HP Fire. A very potent ground resist would be AV Tangrowth, which can provide some defensive backbone for your team to pivot with. This also helps significantly with the Zygarde weakness.

-Low Kick as an option on Weavile over pursuit, because even though trapping gengar is nice, being able to further put pressure on steels such as Ferrothorn and Heatran is nice.

For Heatran try a moveset of

- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Ancient Power
- Protect

-While this is not standard, it helps address the volcarona weakness without needing to add a scarfer, while also scouting for HP Ground. Protect can help soften the damage from Fightium-Z shift gear Magearna.

-

Hi!

The most prominent weakness I see on this team is it's lack of a ground resist. This is even more prominent with the fact that you have terrain extender for Psychic Terrain. While this benefits mega-zam, it also makes Scarfed- Lando-T and Scarf Chomp to become major threats, as nothing can switch in. This becomes a bigger problem when you consider that your own terrain would prevent Weavile from revenge killing.

I will respect that you want to keep the psychic core, so here are some minor changes I would make to the overall team.

-As others have mentioned, change out Magnezone. Currently, while Magnezone traps steels for Lele and Zam, they are already heavily pressured by Focus Miss and HP Fire. A very potent ground resist would be AV Tangrowth, which can provide some defensive backbone for your team to pivot with. This also helps significantly with the Zygarde weakness.

-Low Kick as an option on Weavile over pursuit, because even though trapping gengar is nice, being able to further put pressure on steels such as Ferrothorn and Heatran is nice.
-
I agree with most of the things that you say, but scarfed Lando is the same problem in Psychic terrain that with out it, because it´s flying type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)