Tournament PU 1v1 Tournament (Won by Lord Sample Team)

I know this is a little earlier than I said I would close sign-ups, but we're currently sitting at 32 entrants, which makes my job a lot easier. Subs will be accepted, but only if people participating drop out.

PAIRINGS
pancake vs. GeneralAnnoyance
Haund vs. pinktidal
Anty vs. amber lamps
InfernapeTropius11 vs. Ranbu No Melody
Iron Pyrite vs. VoltDarkrai
MiyoKa vs. Leru
Taskr vs. PokemonmasterTj
Boyeraj17 vs. Akir
PTF vs. 3.14dgeot-Mega
CrazyStevy vs. SergioRules
Conor3197 vs. Slowbroth
Chrisloud1 vs. Yoshiblaze
Lord Sample Team vs. Rumplestiltskin
Feliburn vs. Azkul
Plans vs. hoblaph
Megazard vs. Many

Subs:
lockjaw

You have until 8:00 p.m. Central Time on March 14th to get your matches done. Replays required. For any questions, see the original post.
Also, have fun!

Edit: All item, moves, and abilities that force switches are now banned.

Last edited:
smogon is a wonderful website

pancake vs. GeneralAnnoyance
Haund vs. pinktidal
Anty vs. amber lamps
InfernapeTropius11 vs. Ranbu No Melody
Iron Pyrite vs. VoltDarkrai
MiyoKa vs. Leru
Taskr vs. PokemonmasterTj
Boyeraj17 vs. Akir
PTF vs. 3.14dgeot-Mega
CrazyStevy vs. SergioRules
Conor3197 vs. Slowbroth
Chrisloud1 vs. Yoshiblaze
Lord Sample Team vs. Rumplestiltskin
Feliburn vs. Azkul
Plans vs. hoblaph
Megazard vs. Many

Also, at this point, nothing is banned. I'll ban stuff if it's too overpowered, but for now everything PU is legal (except accuracy dropping attacks.)

edit: any items, moves, or abilities that cause switches are banned.

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
In a suspenseful series of matches against 3.14dgeot-Mega that had my fingers shaking:
gg 3.14dgeot-Mega. Shoutouts to PokemonmasterTj Megazard Lord Sample Team

clarification: any move item, or ability that causes a switch on either side of the field is banned, and anyone who uses one of these moves, items, or abilities automatically loses the game it is used in. thanks Leru for the other stuff.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
I am not for sure if we were banning/suspecting anything during the middle of this tournament. However, we've already banned Phasing and Switching moves already, and I'd like to bring up my own nomination. It'd like to hear some discussion from you guys about it too.

250px-369Relicanth.png
Relicanth @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Head Smash

In 1v1 where Focus Sash is banned and Hazards are non-existent, Pokemon with Sturdy become more viable and more prominent than ever before. While Sturdy + Shell Smash and Sturdy + Priority found on Crustle and Golem respectfully are very good, only a few things can get past Sturdy + Sleep. Yawn Relicanth cannot be put to sleep itself when its holding a Lum Berry, and can only be KO'd by Super Effective Multi-hit moves. Here is the very short list of things that can beat Yawn Lum Berry Relicanth.
  • Lum/Chesto Berry
  • Bullet Seed/Bonemerang
  • Insomnia/Early Bird
  • Sleep Talkers
  • Trick/Switcheroo
And not to use usage as a method of telling what's broken or not, but many people as using this as well, including PTF and PokemonMasterTJ, who also have won in their replays shown below.

Overall, I think its too much for this tournament to handle, and this is only one set. I'd like to hear you're opinions on the subject. In my opinion though, Sturdy is not the problem; Sturdy + a Sleep-Inducing move is.

Reactions: PTF

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
I am not for sure if we were banning/suspecting anything during the middle of this tournament. However, we've already banned Phasing and Switching moves already, and I'd like to bring up my own nomination. It'd like to hear some discussion from you guys about it too.

View attachment 79102
Relicanth @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Head Smash

In 1v1 where Focus Sash is banned and Hazards are non-existent, Pokemon with Sturdy become more viable and more prominent than ever before. While Sturdy + Shell Smash and Sturdy + Priority found on Crustle and Golem respectfully are very good, only a few things can get past Sturdy + Sleep. Yawn Relicanth cannot be put to sleep itself when its holding a Lum Berry, and can only be KO'd by Super Effective Multi-hit moves. Here is the very short list of things that can beat Yawn Lum Berry Relicanth.
  • Lum/Chesto Berry
  • Bullet Seed/Bonemerang
  • Insomnia/Early Bird
  • Sleep Talkers
  • Trick/Switcheroo
And not to use usage as a method of telling what's broken or not, but many people as using this as well, including PTF and PokemonMasterTJ, who also have won in their replays shown below.

Overall, I think its too much for this tournament to handle, and this is only one set. I'd like to hear you're opinions on the subject. In my opinion though, Sturdy is not the problem; Sturdy + a Sleep-Inducing move is.
Bulky grasses like Tangela completely wall any sort of reli set. In addition, super bulky stuff that Reli can't hit super effectively like Dusclops also have a good matchup. I don't really think it deserves to be banned and even if it did deserve to be banned it's too early to really say as the sample size of matches isn't even 20 yet.

Last edited:
Rather than ban Relicanth I feel as though we should ban sleep. I feel as though it's uncompetitive in this format as you're sleeping your opponents entirelteam essentially. Relicanth itself is not broken as it has answers. Sleep based moves are as they can sleep your only available mon.

seconding lord sample team as of now, the meta hasn't been developed almost at all and I don't feel comfortable banning something that can and should be prepared for

that said, a sleep ban is not completely out of the question at this point. I will be waiting until this round ends at minimum, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)