PU Good Cores

Approved by Magnemite
Welcome to the PU Good Cores thread, where you can post, discuss, and debate about an essential part of teambuilding: Cores, and the synergy between certain Pokemon.

Effective cores are very important in competitive Pokemon. Defensive cores rely on covering a lot of attacking types and common threats within the core, while also offering team support, so that the core is useful even when walled. On the other hand, offensive cores still like having the common attacking types covered between its members, but offensive synergy is most important. Be it one member of the core attracting Pokemon that another member can easily switch into and force out, one member luring and weakening the checks and counters of another, or one member being able to beat the Pokemon that the other can't, those are the characteristics that are wanted from a good offensive core. Finally, there are mixed or balanced cores, as well as support and pivoting cores, which blend in into offensive and defensive cores. Support or pivoting elements in cores aim to either provide easier switch-in and set up chances to offensive Pokemon, or help to wall and stall out the opponent in the case of defensive cores.

The point of the project is to help teambuilders, newcomers, and other battlers to assist them in helping building their teams. Therefore, please don't post bad examples. Post cores that truly work and be ready to defend why. For example, Floatzel and Zebstrika form a good offensive core because they are able to take on one another's weaknesses and they are able to keep up momentum with Floatzel's Baton Pass and Zebstrika's Volt Switch. However, Gourgeist + Tangela is not such a good defensive core because their roles overlap and they stack weaknesses with one another. If you wish to post a core, please make sure to explain how each member of the core works to help each other out. There has to be a reason why the Pokemon is there and not simply tacking on two random Pokemon!

Let's go! I'll be picking out the ones I like and archiving it here. When posting cores, please provide an explaination of why the core works, an importable, and preferably sprites, which can be retrieved here. Note: I reserve the right to make minor changes to cores posted if I feel like they improve the core.

Last edited:
as Magnemite did in the previous Good Cores thread, ill start this off with the core from the OP

+

Just as Sneasel + Mightyena tried to accomplish, Pawniard and Mightyena do the same. The goal of this core wears down Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke with Pawniard by using Knock Off to get rid of their item and get off chip damage with Iron Head, allowing Mightyena to sweep.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit / Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

edit: this core is no longer useable; rip pawniard

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As Dundies requested, I'll repost my cores from the old thread here.

+

In all honesty, I just love Scarfed Mr. Mime. Its Dual STAB combination lets it handle a lot of pokemon in the tier while also having Focus Blast at its disposal to nail Steel-types such as Pawniard. However, being locked into a move that Steel resists is a pain and it would rather want to spam its STAB moves as opposing to relying on Focus Blast to hit Steels. Magnet Pull Probopass is the best partner Mr. Mime could ask for as it can handle opposing Steel-types while also providing Stealth Rock support as well as a slow Volt Switch to get Mr. Mime in safely. Even a more defensive spread can work as Probopass' access to Toxic and Thunder Wave while still having Earth Power to handle opposing Steels. Mr. Mime helps out Probopass as well as it double resists Fighting which threatens Probopass.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Trick

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Core

+
+

Simple strategy with this core. Spike stack with Whirlipede, then either spinblock with Misdreavus or punish defoggers with Pawniard. Some pokemon can be switch out, for example using Venipede over Whirlipede, Purugly over Pawniard, and any other Ghost-type over Misdreavus.

Whirlipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

TONE

Defensive Core

+
+

Defensive Fairy/Fighting/Steel core. Togetic with its access to Defog is a key for more defensive oriented teams combined with Toxic, Roost, and Dazzling Gleam or Seismic Toss allows it to hold it own. Probopass is immune to Poison and resists Ice for Togetic while being able to set up Stealth Rock and provide slow Volt Switchs for its teammates. Poliwrath provides shuffling capabilities with Circle Throw and rack up entry hazard damage in the process while resisting Ice, Rock, and Steel for Togetic and handling threatning Ground types for Probopass with Scald while also being a Knock Off absorber for both. This core is Raichu weak however, so having something to handle that is best.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature / Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam / Seismic Toss
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

Probopass @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon / Power Gem

Reposting this dark spam core I posted in the old good cores thread:

+

This is a dark spam core I have been using lately, and it gets the job done. Murkrow's stab Brave Bird pretty much says it all, as it annihilates troublesome mons to Pawniard such as Poliwrath, Machoke and troublesome grass types, while Sucker Punch can weaken some offensive threats for Pawniard to clean later on. HP Fighting is icing on the cake, able to 2hko Probopass guaranteed after rocks, as well as hitting Costa for okay damage, as HP Fighting+Sucker weakens Costa pretty well, making Pawniard's life much easier. Taunt on Murkrow prevents Carracosta from setting up on you, while preventing mons like Probopass from setting up rocks, and mons like Avalugg from using recovery (although not as common lately). Pawniard cleans the bloodshed that Murkrow caused, being able to sweep weakened teams pretty easily at +2. However, Pawniard doesn't do much for Murkrow outside of threatening fairies like Carbink.
Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt / Tailwind / Thunder Wave (cater this moveslot to team needs)

Pawniard @ Eviolite
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
+

This is a pretty cool Defensive Core I found when I was looking at Pokemon who work well with Shedinja. They both have Good Type Synergy as well as assisting each other in the process. Zwelious can Phase out other Pokemon as well as supplying a much needed Ninetails Counter. Both of these Pokemon also do pretty well against Wall Breaker Simipour, bar Knock Off, and other common threats. While this core is pretty solid it still loses or is threatened by some common threats such as.

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Crunch

(You could also run a Physically Defensive Set)

and

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Reposting all the old cores I posted from the last thread:

Defensive core:
+

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Carracosta and Roselia cover each other's weaknesses really well imo. Carracosta takes the physically based flying, ice and fire attacks aimed at Roselia, then sets up rocks or uses knock off as what you countered switches out. In return, Roselia takes the specially based fighting, grass and electric attacks aimed at Carracosta, then uses spikes or sludge bomb as your opponent switches out to something that threatens Roselia.

Defensive Stall Core:
+
+

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Roar
- Wood Hammer

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

Quilladin
- Protects Poliwrath from Roselia: immune to Sludge Bomb, resists Giga Drain
- Protects Poliwrath from Torterra: is immune to both Seed Bomb and Bullet Seed, while resisting EQ and Wood Hammer
- Protects Poliwrath from random Energy Balls via Bulletproof
- Takes Electric hits for Poliwrath (is immune to Raichu's Focus Blast too)
- Protects Misdreavus from random Shadow Balls via Bulletproof
- Can Run a small amount of speed to outspeed RestTalk Poliwrath (40 Speed EVs) or 252 speed Carracosta (56 Speed EVs)
- Sets Spikes after it absorbs a hit, or Roars to shuffle and accumulate damage via Spikes

RestTalk Poliwrath
- Takes Ice / Fire / Bug attacks for Quilladin
- Takes Dark attacks for Misdreavus
- Takes Status for Quilladin and Misdreavus
- Knock Off absorb for Quilladin's and Misdreavus' Eviolites
- Accumulates entry hazard damage via Circle Throw
- Can run 4 Speed EVs to outspeed other RestTalk Poliwraths

Misdreavus
- Keeps Quilladin's Spikes on the field by absorbing Rapid Spins and taunting Defogs
- Takes Bug / Poison attacks aimed at Quilladin
- Takes special hits aimed at the core
- Can run a small amount of speed to burn Adamant 252 spe Pawniard (56 Speed EVs) before being hit by Knock Off

Add a spinner, something for Flying Spam and Stealth Rock, and you're all set.

Offensive Core:
+
+

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk
- Close Combat

The basic idea is to remove anything that would wall Boomburst - these types being Rock, Steel and Ghost (and SDef Lickilicky).

Chatot
- Takes Ground hits for Probopass
- Sweeps with Specs Boomburst
- Either Heat Waves or U-Turns on opposing Mr. Mime switch ins
- HP Ground or Fighting on opposing Probopass switch ins (if Machoke and Probopass haven't beaten enemy Probopass' already). Ground is useful for Electrode switch ins if it's low ladder, whereas Fighting is better normally

Probopass
- Takes Rock / Ice hits for Chatot
- Takes Flying / Psychic / Fairy hits for Machoke
- Traps opposing Steel Types so that Chatot can sweep with Specs Boomburst
- Destroys opposing Rock or Ice types that would otherwise KO Chatot (e.g. Piloswine) with Flash Cannon or Earth Power
- Runs Air Balloon with more speed than standard Probopass to outspeed Piloswine and other Probopass that would trap and kill it otherwise (140 speed total)

Machoke
- Destroys Ghosts with Knock Off for Chatot
- Takes Rock hits for Chatot
- Removes Probopass, Lickilicky, Piloswine with Close Combat for Chatot
- Runs 60 Speed (141 speed total) to outpace these walls that stop Chatot
- Machoke can be replaced with something with Pursuit (Water Veil CB Floatzel is a nice choice to avoid doubling up on Fighting weaknesses and for taking Ghost type's Will-O-Wisps).

After this point, I'd add paralysis or Sticky Web support so that Chatot can outspeed things like Zebstrika, Raichu, Kadabra, Simipour, Rapidash (anything faster than base 91 speed), etc.

Offensive Core:
+

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance / U-Turn

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Slack Off
- Frustration

In the same way that Pawniard and Jumpluff form a competent offensive duo (this was inspired both by Magnemite 's Jumpluff and Pawniard core from the old thread, along with the analysis found on http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/vigoroth), Vigoroth can also make a nice partner to Jumpluff. Specially defensive Vigoroth can come in on most of Jumpluff's Checks and Counters, Taunt and proceed to Bulk Up. Sap Sipper Zebstrika, Jumpluff's most common Counter, is walled by SpD Vigoroth. If Vigoroth chooses to run full SpD (which is a usable option), then Zeb can only 4HKO with LO Tbolt.

Similarly, Avalugg and Piloswine are Taunted and setup on, as Avalugg can't do anything but a 3HKO with Avalanche before Bulk UP, and Piloswine's best bet is to pray for Skill Link. Vigoroth can also switch into Jumpluff's Sleep Powder, which is some nice added utility for teams that might struggle against Jumpluff.

Basically, anything with high special attack (and lacking Focus Blast) that hits Jumpluff SE can be used as setup fodder for Vig, whereas Jumpluff handles the fighting types like Poliwrath who attempt to switch in on Vigoroth.
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 105-125 (28.8 - 34.3%) -- 2.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 97-114 (26.6 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 93-111 (25.5 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 118-141 (32.4 - 38.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 3HKO

EDIT: Changed Vigoroth's EV spread to something slightly more optimal: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe with Jolly gives it 1 less Special Defense, but 3 more Speed to beat out neutral nature base 70s by 1 point at the advice of gasquakee.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Here is a surprisingly clever physically attacking core that not only has nice synergy, but is able to keep momentum.

Dodrio @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- DRILL PECK
- Return

Poliwrath @ Salac Berry
Ability: Water Absorb/ Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Return/ Ice Punch

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Double Edge

Pretty simple. Dodrio sets up a substitute on something it forces out, such as Machoke or Tangela. About half of the things that switch onto Dodrio are a free substitute for Poliwrath (Defensive Carracosta, Avalugg, Golem- who would probably use rock blast instead of earthquake), so Dodrio can promptly baton pass the Sub to this incredibly threatening Belly Drum Poli set.
The other half of the things that switch on to Dodrio usually give Marowak a free substitute (Stunfisk, Probopass attempting to volt switch, and exceptionally brave electric types like Rotom-F). So Dodrio can baton pass to Maro in those situations, adding momentum.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool core you got there, ManOfMany . in Poliwrath's last moveslot, change Ice Punch / Brick Break to Return and I'll add it. it allows for much better neutral coverage overall

Edit: really no point in having marowak either since poliwrath can just sub again vs the listed electric types to get to +1

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
cool core you got there, ManOfMany . in Poliwrath's last moveslot, change Ice Punch / Brick Break to Return and I'll add it. it allows for much better neutral coverage overall
I'll slash return instead of brick break ice punch is still viable as it allows you to OHKO Tangela and not get walled by Gourgeist.

I'll slash return instead of brick break ice punch is still viable as it allows you to OHKO Tangela and not get walled by Gourgeist.
i'll allow this. since Poliwrath just subs again vs the electric types that switch into it as it belly drums to get +1 speed, you can take out marowak. the core honestly doesnt benefit from it. ManOfMany

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here is a surprisingly clever physically attacking core that not only has nice synergy, but is able to keep momentum.

Dodrio @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Brave Bird
- Return

Poliwrath @ Salac Berry
Ability: Water Absorb/ Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Return/ Ice Punch

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Double Edge

Pretty simple. Dodrio sets up a substitute on something it forces out, such as Machoke or Tangela. About half of the things that switch onto Dodrio are a free substitute for Poliwrath (Defensive Carracosta, Avalugg, Golem- who would probably use rock blast instead of earthquake), so Dodrio can promptly baton pass the Sub to this incredibly threatening Belly Drum Poli set.
The other half of the things that switch on to Dodrio usually give Marowak a free substitute (Stunfisk, Probopass attempting to volt switch, and exceptionally brave electric types like Rotom-F). So Dodrio can baton pass to Maro in those situations, adding momentum.
That dodrio set is illegal, as BP is a gen3 event move and brave bird is a gen4+ egg move. You can probably run drill peck + double edge in those slots instead, often i find normal neutral coverage is more useful than flying anyway, and the stuff flying hits SE is still hit hard by drill peck.

e: For that poliwrath set return is vital, as the only thing water normal doesnt hit is gourgeist, however return hits most grass types hard (ohko'ing most grass's other than tangela and gourg w/ hazards), while also OHKOing pelipper and rose which break brake misses out on, and beating waters which ice punch loses to. The only things ice punch is better for is tangela/gourg/phdef togetic without hazards lol.

e2: marowak is bad lawl

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have another Offensive Core for you guys:

+

Ursaring @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Protect / Swords Dance

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Mr. Mime and Ursaring have excellent type synergy - Mr. Mime protects Ursaring from Fighting Attacks with its Psychic / Fairy typing, while Ursaring is immune to Ghost attacks aimed at Mr. Mime. Misdreavus is often a free switch in for Ursaring, if it doesn't Foul Play or Nasty Plot on the switch in.

The goal is to have Ursaring weaken a mon or score a KO early to mid battle, then switch out before it's KO'd. Afterward, Mr. Mime can Healing Wish Ursaring back to full if it still needs to remove a wall in your way.

Mr. Mime with a Choice Scarf has a relatively easy time with Offense (unless it's something faster like Scarf Raichu or a Chlorophyll sweeper), while Ursaring breaks Stall. Ursaring also breaks Probopass really easily, which is a bonus for Mr. Mime who want to start cleaning with Dazzling Gleam or Psychic.

This core is complemented well by Probopass / Pawniard or Rock Types like Armaldo, for the sake of resisting Poison type hits for Mr. Mime.

The choice of nature for Ursaring depends on your team:
While an Adamant nature with 252 Spe lets you outspeed any walls you may be trying to break at 209 speed total, Jolly is still an option to speed tie neutral nature 252 Spe invested base 65s and outspeed everything below. By using Jolly, Ursaring is able to outspeed Jolly 252 Spe Huntail, Adamant 252 Spe Pawniard, neutral nature 0 Spe Vigoroth, neutral nature 252 Spe base 58s (Aurorus, Rampardos, Zweilous), and Adamant 252 Spe Torterra.

Tagging Crimzig for making this suggestion: Toxic Orb is also an option to use over Flame Orb with Guts. While you take more damage with a Toxic Orb than a Flame Orb after 3 turns, a Toxic Orb can bluff Quick Feet and lure in walls that think they can take a hit from QF Ursaring. It also lures in Pokemon faster than QF Ursaring (i.e. faster than 343 Spe) with Fighting coverage, like Raichu, some Floatzel and Scarf Mime. This provides Mr. Mime with an easy switch in, so Toxic Orb is a solid suggestion.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna post another Defensive Core centralizing around Zweilous.
+

This defensive core is probably better than the first one I posted with Fairy + Zweilous due to these Pokemon complementing each other so much more in the long run. Zweilous can take on threats such as Simipour, Ninetails as well as with both Pokemon working together can take out either Poliwrath. Gourgeist takes on heavy offensive hitters such as Machoke, and Mightyena depending on the amount of HP it has left. Not many Pokemon can easily break through this core as both have pretty solid recovery for their needs and can have an offensive presence if needed. Both are packed with moves to take on Set-Up Sweepers where Gourgeist can hit Physical Attackers with a Foul Play and Zweilous can phase them away.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
I'm gonna post another Defensive Core centralizing around Zweilous.
+

This defensive core is probably better than the first one I posted with Fairy + Zweilous due to these Pokemon complementing each other so much more in the long run. Zweilous can take on threats such as Simipour, Ninetails as well as with both Pokemon working together can take out either Poliwrath. Gourgeist takes on heavy offensive hitters such as Machoke, and Mightyena depending on the amount of HP it has left. Not many Pokemon can easily break through this core as both have pretty solid recovery for their needs and can have an offensive presence if needed. Both are packed with moves to take on Set-Up Sweepers where Gourgeist can hit Physical Attackers with a Foul Play and Zweilous can phase them away.

Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Id use Roar over Dragon Tail. 72% accuracy is really sketchy.

meh, the increased chip damage from dtail is kinda worth it. it's not like zweilous is used to phaze incredibly powerful threats like carracosta anyway, and stuff like leafeon usually can't do much to it (aside from the odd iron tail) so not missing becomes of less importance. i've always felt that zweil is one of those mons that doesn't need that incredibly reliable phazing (unlike, say, Skarmory in OU).

edit- that pretty much applies to anything so i really don't see the point of your argument.

Last edited:
meh, the increased chip damage from dtail is kinda worth it. it's not like zweilous is used to phaze incredibly powerful threats like carracosta anyway, and stuff like leafeon usually can't do much to it (aside from the odd iron tail) so not missing becomes of less importance. i've always felt that zweil is one of those mons that doesn't need that incredibly reliable phazing (unlike, say, Skarmory in OU).
If you want to chance the miss and risk losing thats your choice. I believe thats why he slashed it.

here's an offensive core that GasQuake gave me but is too lazy to post.
+

So the basis of this core is simple. What does Articuno struggle with? Steel-types (which it U-Turns against)! and Banded Torterra gets off a huge hit. Torterra struggles mainly with bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-Super, which Articuno can switch freely into (except for Sleep Powder) and get off a supereffective hit.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost

Torterra @ Choice Band
Ability: Overgrow
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Bullet Seed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's an Offensive Core which is fairly common in terms of the way the Pokemon work Together:

+
or

Since the departure of Scyther, Volt-turn has been weakened and has been disregarded for the most part as a viable core or team structure since then. Ninjask came up as the only really thing to replace Scyther and it does pretty well for the most part despite its lower Attack and no Technician boost with the addition of high speed and the ability to hit through a Substitute or Screens. What this Core sets out to do is fast, powerful hits against the opponent and a playstyle completely based upon momentum against the opposing team.

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty / Adamant / Jolly Nature (Naughty with Giga Drain, Adamant or Jolly with Night Slash)
- X-Scissor
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Giga Drain / Night Slash

and...

Raichu @ Choice Scarf / Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

or...

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Here's another Offensive Core:
+
and Possibly

Basically, the Checks and Counters to Rain Dance Poliwrath all seem to be weak to Pawniard. This includes Pokemon like Kadabra, Articuno, Grumpig (Barring Colbur), Togetic and Hypno. Also, with Rain Dance Poliwrath it can help take out Opposing Poliwrath, Carracosta, and deal solid damage to Pelipper. With a Jumpluff added to this core, they synergize very nicely and take on each-others Checks and Counters.

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

and possibly...

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb
- U-turn

Here is a Defensive Core (sorry not sorry for core spam):

+

This is a Core that would fit on a Stall to Balanced Hazard Stacking team. Roselia provides the Toxic Spike support and Stunfisk provides the Steath Rock. The two Pokemon also cover each-others weaknesses very well barring the Ice Typing which Roselia can take on from the Special Side from most Pokemon like Poliwrath and Simipour. Stunfisk also provides solid support against Pawniard, Probopass and other annoyances.

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Here is another Common Defensive Core:

+

This core, commonly named LickyGeist is very effective on balanced and stall teams and the Pokemon work well together Type and Stat wise. Licky also has the ability to pass a Wish to Gourgeist as well as healing its Status and taking special attacks for it. Gourgeist can take on Fighting hits for Licky as well as spreading Burn against physical attackers and getting solid damage with Foul Play.

Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Protect

Since I've already posted 4 so far I guess I'll do another post. Here is a Sun Offensive Core

+

What this core sets out to do is Sweep under Sunny Day and do major Wallbreaking Damage against the opposing team. Working together, these Pokemon take on most Defensive Mons in the tier and do very well in general. Sun is very overpowering in the current meta and these Pokemon are a great representation of that in this Core and working together. Even out of Sun, they have the Potential to be Powerful against another team.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Return / Frustration
- Horn Leech / Seed Bomb
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Here is a Defensive Core (sorry not sorry for core spam):

+

This is a Core that would fit on a Stall to Balanced Hazard Stacking team. Roselia provides the Toxic Spike support and Stunfisk provides the Steath Rock. The two Pokemon also cover each-others weaknesses very well barring the Ice Typing which Roselia can take on from the Special Side from most Pokemon like Poliwrath and Simipour. Stunfisk also provides solid support against Pawniard, Probopass and other annoyances.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic
I can confirm that this Stunfisk + Roselia (as well as the other cores posted above) core is pretty good. I used it on a Balanced Hazard Stack team for a CLC some time ago (when Haunter was still around). It does really well with Defiant / Ghost support, if you're not using full Stall. http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...nverse-stabmons-and-tier-shift.3525896/page-5

Here is another Common Defensive Core:

+

This core, commonly named LickyGeist is very effective on balanced and stall teams and the Pokemon work well together Type and Stat wise. Licky also has the ability to pass a Wish to Gourgeist as well as healing its Status and taking special attacks for it. Gourgeist can take on Fighting hits for Licky as well as spreading Burn against physical attackers and getting solid damage with Foul Play.

Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Protect
Ben, I'd like to recommend Porygon as an alternative to Lickilicky in this defensive core because I've had a lot of success with it on my team.

It gets the same typing as Lickilicky which means it can take the Ghost-type moves coming Lickilicky's way, but with Trace you can also gain access to some neat immunities with some clever switch-ins. Getting Ninetails' Flash Fire on a Fire Blast switch-in meant for Gourgeist 9 out of 10 times catches opponents off guard, and Porygon doesn't take more than 27% from an unboosted Energy Ball or Dark Pulse. Obviously you can also do this if you know Poliwrath's Hydro Pump is coming, and get a free heal if you're low. With Eviolite, Porygon also has a Sp. Def stat of 410 and decent HP and Defense, as well as access to T-Wave and Toxic, BoltBeam coverage and Recover.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
024.gif
611.gif

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Aqua Tail

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Taunt

I didn't come up with this core (I don't remember who did but credits to @whoever) but I played with it a bit and it's a lot of fun. Arbok basically breaks down most of the things stopping Fraxure, which are the really bulky grasses and fairies for the most part (I admit Mr. Mime is annoying but just run one more mon :S). Fraxure is a stupidly good sweeper, so you just DD up and win. It's a solid offensive core that makes for a very good offensive-ish but a little more balanced team. Run EQ on arbok if you want to stop probo, but probo goes very well with this core and fraxure has low kick anyway so I figured luring Piloswine was better overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)