Project PU Player of the Week - LordST (Week 5)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

LordST
Favorite Pokemon: Altaria
Most used Pokemon: Togedemaru, Eelektross, Qwilfish
Most known for: PU Room Voice, Shitty Chat Presence, PU Teambuilder, WEEB
TJ: Hey LST how are you doing today?
LST: Doing good just chilling at home until I have to go to work.

TJ: Could you tell us more about yourself outside of Smogon? What are your hobbies and things you enjoy?
LST: I'm a college student living in the Bay Area, California. I play Ultimate Frisbee competitively with my school as well as with a semi pro team. I've also been an avid Skier since I was a toddler and try to go whenever I can. I also play an unhealthy amount of other video games like Overwatch and Rocket League.

TJ: How and when did you get into competitive battling?
LST: I've been playing the cartridge games ever since Gen2 and always loved it, but I didn't know a lot about competitive pokemon. About 3 years ago I saw a random youtuber make a Pokemon Showdown Live. After I saw that video I hopped on the website and just lurked for 2 or so years playing mostly just randbats and taking OU sample teams off Smogon without actually making an account on the site. Eventually I was drawn to PU around late XY when it became official and decided to properly learn a tier for the first time. From there i slowly assimilated into the community and the rest is history.

TJ: What’s your favorite PU metagame / generation, and why?
LST: I really enjoyed ORAS a lot despite the bad rap people usually put on it. But I think the current metagame we have is quite enjoyable and balanced. A lot of things are viable and there's still a lot of experimentation that can be done which is exciting. Shoutouts to the goat pu gen ADV tho.

TJ: What is your favorite playstyle and why?
LST: In the current meta I'd say Spikes Offense builds are the most consistent to use simply because there are too many offensive threats for more defensive or Balance builds to properly cover. However in any meta Balance has always been my favorite archetype to use. It fits my playstyle the best.

TJ: Who do you look up to / admire most as a player and as a person in the PU scene?
LST: I've always looked up to Dundies as a player because his building and playstyle is so fundamentally and strategically sound. Every play he makes has purpose and watching his battles was one of the best ways I learned. I also have a lot of respect for Taskr. We both joined the community around the same time and have both grown as players at about the same rate. My battles with him are always intense and he's just a genuinely great friend. I also strive to be as good at shitposting in PU discord as Haund and Anty. Those two are truly an inspiration.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
LST: Insert obligatory jklioe mention here but tbh after beating Dundies he isn't up and coming anymore he's a great player to be reckoned with. drumstick /allstarapology is also a solid player and contributes a ton. I'd love to see what they can do in some seasonals and other stuff.

TJ: Do you have any advice for newer players in the tier?
LST: Don't be afraid to just ask for advice either in the chat on PS or in the PU Discord. The people in our community are quite friendly( If you are friendly in turn) and are eager to help new players learn. Other than that just grind in PU room tours and in test games vs any established PU players. You'll probably get smashed a lot but it's the fastest way to learn and if you stay persistent you'll eventually become a great PU player.

TJ: How much time to you spend watching anime, and what is your favorite anime?
LST: The amount of anime I watch changes fluidly depending on how busy I am with school and how much I play video games at a given time. But I usually end up watching about 8-10 shows a season + watch some non current stuff. So yea a lot and it's probably unhealthy. My favorite anime also changes a bit depending but I have a firm 3 way tie between The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Durarara, and the Monogatari Series. I highly recommend any of these series to any budding weebs out there.

TJ: Lastly, could you provide a team that reflects you and explain it?
LST:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Miltank @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Fire Punch

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dazzling Gleam

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

This is a recent team I built that reflects a lot about my building/playstyle. It's Bulky Offense built around Pawniard which was relatively undiscovered at the time. Offensive Normalium Cow pressures common removal really well and offers offense a solid fire resist. Misdreavus + Fast Taunt Qwil stop Fighting types and prevent hazards + set them. Eel provides great glue as a blanket check to most special attackers, Archeops, and gives me a good way of pressuring bulky grounds like Gastro and fat Eviolite shit like Type: Null and Clef. Jynx is the RKer of choice to cover Lilligant and Carracosta.

Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them!:toast:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I suppose I feel a sense of obligation to ask you questions, so here we go;

1) Thoughts on me having avatars that you hate?
2) Favourite anime currently?
3) Least favourite anime? (if you say Rwby I'm blocking you)
4) Most overlooked Pokémon in PU?
5) Why is Scarf Togedemaru so good and who is the cute user who invented it?

I feel like jklioe get's a bit to much attention in these POTW Threads

anyways....

Togedemaru or Eelektross?

Reactions: TJ

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Which feels worse, losing a game you would have otherwise won due to a crit or losing a game you would have otherwise won due to a disconnect?
The Brits are fighting the Italians... Which side do you ally with?
Favorite Middle Cup mon?
QUICK Pick a # between 5 and 12
Why was it 7? :O

Favorite PU forum tournament? (Ex. PU First Blood, PU 1v1, etc.)
If you could choose any of the other 49 states to live in until you die, which would you choose and why?
How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza (since Yogi apparently dislikes pizza)?
Favorite cheese (since Yogi apparently dislikes cheese)?
Is whomst'd've a word in your eyes?
Favorite Mario Spin-Off series?
How many more times do you think Yogi will change his name before he realizes Yogi is what he should've stuck with?
Best Board Game?
QUICK Pick a vegetable that starts with "C".
Why was it carrot? :O

Favorite of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons?
Have you started to notice that I'm running out of creative ideas for questions?
When is SU getting their own room on Azure?

Americans 1 Italians 0

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ
i predicted this since week 3 so gratz bud!

1) should we nuke all the weebs?
2) whose the nicest user you've met
3) whose the meanest user
4) favorite PU meme
5) most overlooked PU user
6) should we nuke all the weebs
7) you are a retard.

CYA!

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
i'm unoriginal and bad at thinking of new questions so

1. is there a typing we haven't gotten but you want?
2. favorite typing of any pokemon?
3. anything you find suspect/banworthy atm in pu?

Best monotagari girl?
Worst monotagari girl?
Monotagari girl that you have mixed feelings?
Why is romance the best genre of anime?
Me or plans?
Worst anime? (Excluding RWBY)
2nd most favorite tier?

I'm done for now

Pokemon related:
You are pretty well known for your meme-based teams. Have you at any point brought them to a tournament match as opposed to a serious team? If so, how'd it go?

What is your response to people who disregard the creation of your amazing Iron Defense Specially Defensive Archeops? What about your Choice Band Togedemaru with Iron Head, Zing Zap, U-turn, and Iron Tail?

I hear a lot of interesting things about the ORAS days. How do you feel the community was like at the time that is different from now?

How do you think Altaria getting Defog will affect its position in the PU metagame?

Tournament or otherwise, what is your favorite PU match you've ever had, and why?

non-Pokemon related:
How would you describe each PU council member based on their moral alignments (Chaotic good, Lawful Evil, Neutral, etc.)?

What is your favorite anime character of all-time? Could you provide some details about their traits that you find fascinating?

If for some reason you had to replace the entirety of your time to play Pokemon with something else besides watching anime, what would it be and why?

Lastly, do you think it's gay to listen to music with your headphones? I ask this because typically you're letting another dude sing and whisper to your ear while you're generally in a relaxed state while doing so.

favourite alcoholic drink?
best non-anime tv show?
favourite genre of music?
if u had to name ur kid after someone in the pu community who would it be?
best pu couple?
who would win wcopu and why is it team uk?
:saddewgong:

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
grats on potw lst!

Q: :lst: or :lst_2:
lst_2.png

I suppose I feel a sense of obligation to ask you questions, so here we go;

1) Thoughts on me having avatars that you hate?
2) Favourite anime currently?
3) Least favourite anime? (if you say Rwby I'm blocking you)
4) Most overlooked Pokémon in PU?
5) Why is Scarf Togedemaru so good and who is the cute user who invented it?
Fucking die

My favorite anime atm is Monogatari because the Kizumonogatari movies and Owarimonogatari came out recently and they WERE SO FUCKING GOOD OMG. But in terms of recent shows some of my favorites have been Mob Psycho 100, Little Witch Academia, Made in Abyss, and Sakura Quest.

You're in luck cause Rwby isn't anime. I don't really have a single least favorite but I have a strong hatred for shows like Eromanga-Sensei which are so wrong and disgusting in so many ways but are still somehow popular.

Cradily gets slept on hard. It blanket checks so much and with proper support it's very hard to break.

Probably because super cute user LordST invented it :toast:
I feel like jklioe get's a bit to much attention in these POTW Threads

anyways....

Togedemaru or Eelektross?
Eelektross was busted like 2 weeks ago but people have slowly adapted to it with stuff like Miltank and strong bulky physical breakers. Togedemaru was pretty good before USUM but now with the buffs it's honestly a staple on certain kinds of builds so im gonna have to go with Toge.
Which feels worse, losing a game you would have otherwise won due to a crit or losing a game you would have otherwise won due to a disconnect?
The Brits are fighting the Italians... Which side do you ally with?
Favorite Middle Cup mon?
QUICK Pick a # between 5 and 12
Why was it 7? :O

Favorite PU forum tournament? (Ex. PU First Blood, PU 1v1, etc.)
If you could choose any of the other 49 states to live in until you die, which would you choose and why?
How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza (since Yogi apparently dislikes pizza)?
Favorite cheese (since Yogi apparently dislikes cheese)?
Is whomst'd've a word in your eyes?
Favorite Mario Spin-Off series?
How many more times do you think Yogi will change his name before he realizes Yogi is what he should've stuck with?
Best Board Game?
QUICK Pick a vegetable that starts with "C".
Why was it carrot? :O

Favorite of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons?
Have you started to notice that I'm running out of creative ideas for questions?
When is SU getting their own room on Azure?

Americans 1 Italians 0
Crits for sure. I've never lost a truly important match to a disconnect but I have lost to crits in important games and it's fucking aids.

Egg them both on until they devour each other. From the ashes the Americans will rise to lead the New PU Order.

Never played a game of Middle Cup but probably Servine.

It was 9 :1

PU 1v1 was super fun and not just because I won it. When i first started playing on PS 1v1 was one of the first metas I learned so applying some of that knowledge to PU was interesting.

I grew up in Vermont and absolutely love the state. Everyone there is noticeably more personable than any other state I've spent time in and the landscape is beautiful. S+ tier state.

Hawaiian Pizza is one favorite kinds fuck the haters with defective tastebuds.

My family and I only buy Cabot Cheese which is a Vermont company. It's good shit and you can usually find it at super markets across the US I'd highly recommend it. Cheddar is my favorite, the sharper the better.

Who?

Not a big Mario player but Super Paper Mario for the Wii was a really fun game. I have played the shit out of various Mario Kart games tho and those are all great.

At least 5 or 6 my dude.

Anything that's entirely RNG like Sorry!

It was cucumbers but only because I had just finished cutting some when i first saw this question.

Sorry, what? The composer? Idk don't really listen to classic music much.

Like 3 weeks ago yea.

When OU unbans Diglett and Trapinch.
i predicted this since week 3 so gratz bud!

1) should we nuke all the weebs?
2) whose the nicest user you've met
3) whose the meanest user
4) favorite PU meme
5) most overlooked PU user
6) should we nuke all the weebs
7) you are a retard.

CYA!
Yes.
Akir best PU RO
Rwby
The community itself.
Plans and 5gen don't sleep on these boys.
Anime was a mistake.
Same.
i'm unoriginal and bad at thinking of new questions so

1. is there a typing we haven't gotten but you want?
2. favorite typing of any pokemon?
3. anything you find suspect/banworthy atm in pu?
Normal/Ghost to hard counter the busted Marshadow.

Always loved Fire/Fighting.

The only things with any argument are Jynx and Archeops. Both are arguably quite restrictive on building and have ways of getting past their checks and counters making counterplay shaky.
Best monotagari girl?
Worst monotagari girl?
Monotagari girl that you have mixed feelings?
Why is romance the best genre of anime?
Me or plans?
Worst anime? (Excluding RWBY)
2nd most favorite tier?

I'm done for now
It's a tie between Hanekawa, Senjougahara, and Kaiki. Senjougahara is great for the usually reasons but Hanekawa deserves more of an explanation. People tend to hate on her a lot but I can really relate to her romantic situation and the way she hides her emotions. Kaiki is cutest girl tho.

I'd chose one of the side character girls, but that would just be a cop out. Ononoki is probably the least interesting girl but that's mostly just because she's a fucking doll with no emotions. The deadpan comedy she is the foil for is usually gut busting tho.

I used to hate Sengoku with a burning passion because she's just a standard dot Moeblob who has no character traits outside of having a hard on for Araragi. However after rewatching the later seasons that explore her character more and sort of use her to comment on typical Moe tropes is entertaining so I've grown to like her character a bit more. Plus her OP has spawned some pretty classic memes.

It is but only if your like 13.

Taskr

Already answered this.

Monotype :mad:.

when do u wanna play for adv slam
Whenever I finishing stealing all the teams I need.

Pokemon related:
You are pretty well known for your meme-based teams. Have you at any point brought them to a tournament match as opposed to a serious team? If so, how'd it go?

What is your response to people who disregard the creation of your amazing Iron Defense Specially Defensive Archeops? What about your Choice Band Togedemaru with Iron Head, Zing Zap, U-turn, and Iron Tail?

I hear a lot of interesting things about the ORAS days. How do you feel the community was like at the time that is different from now?

How do you think Altaria getting Defog will affect its position in the PU metagame?

Tournament or otherwise, what is your favorite PU match you've ever had, and why?

non-Pokemon related:
How would you describe each PU council member based on their moral alignments (Chaotic good, Lawful Evil, Neutral, etc.)?

What is your favorite anime character of all-time? Could you provide some details about their traits that you find fascinating?

If for some reason you had to replace the entirety of your time to play Pokemon with something else besides watching anime, what would it be and why?

Lastly, do you think it's gay to listen to music with your headphones? I ask this because typically you're letting another dude sing and whisper to your ear while you're generally in a relaxed state while doing so.
I've never brought memes to a real game in a tour that matters. The closest I've come was Week 5 of PUPL where my team had already lost the week so the game didn't matter.
Though it wasn't my team, I managed to pull off a W with bird resist-less Larvesta Stall against Fuga bird spam. I would however love to bring Boomburst Spam to something if the circumstances were just so.

I'm just gonna keep dabbing on the haters. They're just playing checkers while I'm playing Wizard's Chess.

The community was a bit smaller and I think a bit more insular. It was hard for new players to break into the cliche of established players(speaking from experience). I think the community as a whole is much more inviting to new players now than it was.

I think Alt was already an underrated tool on Balance before Defog. With the buff it's niche only grows. I still think its niche is rather small so you'll only see it used(well) on Fat Balance and Semi Stall.

My series vs Arifeen in r1 of the PU Classic playoffs were 3 of the most intense games I've played. It was really my first time getting that far in a high level tournament and playing against a well established tour player only added to the nerves. It was really a test for myself to see if I could really play at the level that I thought I was able to. After winning a close game 3 I was the most hyped I'd been in awhile for anything.

Galbia- Chaotic Neutral
Anty- Chaotic Evil
Megazard- Lawful Neutral
Akir- Lawful Good
2xTheTap- Chaotic Good
Teddeh- Chaotic Neutral
HJAD- Chaotic Neutral
Dibs the Dreamer- Neutral Evil
Taskr- Lawful Good
Raiza- Lawful Neutral

Koyomi Araragi from the Monogatari Series. Araragi's defining characteristic is that he cares so deeply for the one's he loves to a fault and that's something that resonates with me a lot. He's an idiot just like me but he also has his badass moments unlike me. On top of this he's one of the funniest characters I've ever witnessed in any media.

I've always had a desire to just be a ski bum working getting by on odd jobs and traveling from mountain to mountain. I'd probably get bored of it after awhile though so then I'll have to return to anime and mons.

Yes its gay but no homo.
favourite alcoholic drink?
best non-anime tv show?
favourite genre of music?
if u had to name ur kid after someone in the pu community who would it be?
best pu couple?
who would win wcopu and why is it team uk?
:saddewgong:
Straight Bourbon cause I'm not a bitch boi. Fireball is fun tho.

Archer is the funniest show/movie period and I am always up for watching it.

Traditionally I've been a classic rock fan but in the past few years other genres have been threatening to take the spot. I really like anything alternative rock related specifically 90s stuff like Weezer and The Pixies cause it takes me on a nostalgia trip every time I listen to it. I've also started to get more into electronic stuff because the sheer amount of variation thats possible in the genre fascinates me.

Fagtron

Yogi and I

UK is 0-2 in wars against the US and we always have to carry you guys whenever Germany acts up so if history repeats itself were looking at a victory for Team USA.
Is dundies a pu main?
LC is just PU with a really long and obnoxious banlist so yes.
2nd favorite alcoholic drink?
How long have you been British?
Me or Chrisloud1 ?
Best waifu?
What does pu stand for??
Being a Californian, a good White Wine is always a good choice for me.

Ever since Yogi and I got married.

TJ

Shouko from Koe no Katachi is my waifu and Ill protect her from all evil.

PokemonMasterTJ Used

Post #420 s/o Haund Rwby Chrisloud1 Taskr Dibs The Dreamer Leru samjo Machoker Plans Dundies ZeitoKrabby Many Tect RawMelon amber lamps iRebel False. Akir Slowbroth

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna bop you if you call me evil again
But thanks for the shoutout I guess...

Tea, coffee or hot chocolate?
Favourite takeaway?
Favourite meme set, any gen
Will you fix hailstorm for me so it works in ORAS again?
Madoka outa 10?
Brun teh webs

Also take care of Yogi I guess
Cutest couple my ass

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
if ur life depended on a pu match between me and Anty who would you bet on and why
take your time to think about it
Waks went 3-2 in PUPL(shoulda been 4-1 but hax and OU nazi mod conspiracy ruined it) and Pikachus went 2-3(shoulda been 1-4), So my money easily goes to Haund.

explain your username?
It used to be Lord Sample Team but that gives me aids its so cringy hence the name change

I'm gonna bop you if you call me evil again
But thanks for the shoutout I guess...

Tea, coffee or hot chocolate?
Favourite takeaway?
Favourite meme set, any gen
Will you fix hailstorm for me so it works in ORAS again?
Madoka outa 10?
Brun teh webs

Also take care of Yogi I guess
Cutest couple my ass
Tea; my aunt is from South Africa and ships me some tea once in awhile and god damn its so good.
I don't know if they have Five Guys in Britain but its the shit.
Spinarak Spider Web Pass in ADV
Why fix something that's already perfect.
8/10
What?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)