Project PU Sample Teams V2 [accepting submissions] [ORAS only]

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
This is a pretty good team, and I think that you can use it pretty much any way. Please do not remove this comment because I don't know how to actually post a team.

Sudowoodo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

Muk @ Assualt Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Retaliate
- Cotton Guard
- Sucker Punch
Why are you using Sudowoodo over Golem? Why does Furfrou have only 3 moves? Why not carry Superpower or Brick Break or Fire Punch over Explosion to hit Steel types on Muk? Why Physical Lapras over Specs Lapras?
Why are you using Non-Rapid Spin, Non-Swift Swim, Non Swords Dance Armaldo? Why not use Stoutland or another good physical attacker?
Why the weird spreads on Armaldo and Lapras? In fact, why use this team? There isn't much cohesiveness to it at all.

Last edited:
This is a pretty good team, and I think that you can use it pretty much any way. Please do not remove this comment because I don't know how to actually post a team.

Sudowoodo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

Muk @ Assualt Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Adamant Nature
- Retaliate
- Cotton Guard
- Sucker Punch
Lapras has an even HP number so it takes 25% from stealth rock entry, thereby giving it less switch ins to rocks than an odd number hp lapras. The set is also unviable, not allowing it to touch water immune mons and not utilizing the coverage that freeze dry gives lapras (Floatzel would be an all around better mon in this case). Armaldo should use SD over curse if you are to use it but in this context it doesn't seem to fit. Furfrou only has 3 moves. Sudowoodo is outclassed by golem entirely. You also have a very apparent ground weakness.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is not a thread for rating teams. The team certainly has issues that need to be addressed and it won't be added to samples but this isn't the place to go over what to change unless it's an incredibly minor and 100% given improvement to a team that's already being added, and even then you can just VM me. I get the team isn't quite as good as other ones that we've rejected, but the place to be rating is in RMTs or the PU Tune Up thread.
That being said, if you dont know how to post a team and cant bother to follow the general protocol of description/spoilers/sprites/etc you might be better off posting in the PU Squad Dump thread

GunGunJ

El patrón del mal
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I want to show to you this team! I have played a lot with it (top 5 some months ago and top 3 with only 3 loses in Quagsire's suspect). It is a balance/BO (it depends how u see it), and as i said i have got a lot of success using it.

The team is very simple, and it works in Quagsire's meta and in a meta without it. Pawniard + a Flying-type, very common core, Pawniard is a very dangerous Pokémon that struggles with Fighting-types and bulky mons, so Swanna along side it is so good. Then we have, i my opinion, the best defensive core in PU: Stunfisk (the GOD) +Gourgeist-XL + RestTalk Regice, this three mons deals with almost everything. Ninetales can kill them but Stunfisk does a lot of damage before that, so it is not a big problem. Cacturne struggles againts Regice (Focus Blast is a 3HKO), at least it runs epic Focus Punch. The last mon is PU staple: Monferno, it is Pawniard and Cacturne checks, and a solid wincon. I havent seen a mon that i say "Wow man, this thing is a problem", and i think that it can deal with any playstyle. Floatzel struggles againts Swanna if it lacks HP Electric, fully physical is walled by Gourgeist-XL, fully Special by Regi. And is the same thing with all the dangerous mons.

Here you have the team: http://pastebin.com/xTdzk4KU

I hope that you get all the success that i have got using this team! :]

Sorry about my english D:

Last edited:

Rest-Talk Metang Stall
Been a bit since something was posted but seeing as the samples have 0 stall teams I figured I'd go ahead and share something before ORAS officially ends.

Audino and Altaria make up the defensive back bone of the team, covering a very large part of the meta just on their own. Altaria is here to stop the likes of Pawniard, Rapidash, and Monferno and Audino is there to supply Wish support for the team and add heal bell support on top of being a general sponge for special attacks. I chose not to run Encore on it because all the targets that I would be afraid of setting up on me such as Beh and Clefairy I have solid answers to. Running Heal Bell also saves Altaria the slot so I can chose to run Haze over it to better help against things like Sub SD Bouf and things like that.

Muk is the win condition of the team and helps me deal with Trick mons such as Rotom-f that might otherwise give Audino issues. Its also a great way to deal with all the Simi's so it was very hard to pass up. Mawile is here to be the generic normal resist as it deals with both Dodrio and Stoutland while also giving me rocks. Vibrava is my defogger of choice because without it I'd really be hurting to Golem and would have no way to block Volt Switch. Not a lot to say about him other then he gets the job done for what I need him to be.

And lastly we have Rest-Talk Sp.D Metang, and let me tell you this thing is an absolute monster on this team. The inherent problem all stall teams face is their lack of ways to deal with NP mime, CM Clefairy, BH Beh, and CM Duosion. Sp.D Metang is a mon that beats all of these, basically fixing one of the fundamental problems all stall teams face. 16 attack evs guarantees that Meteor Mash 1hkos Mime, Toxic lets you beat out NP Beh, and Rest-Talk is your way to recover and stall out Toxic turns. The big advantage that Metang has over Bronzor is that unlike Bronzor it can actually deal with mime rather then get chip damage on it and it also doesn't lose to CM Clefairy which is a very valuable asset for any stall team.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Haze
- Toxic
- Roost

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Super Fang
- Toxic

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion

SS Gorebyss HO

Gorebyss is a mon I had been wanting to build around and something that a lot of teams are lacking a good check to. You could switch out the White Herb for a Life orb but I prefer the White Herb. Metang is there to get up rocks to help with the late game sweep. Its also there to check Regice which is something that can easily stop Gorebyss. It also has pursuit to break Kadabras' potential sash which is something Gorebyss hates dealing with. Other options on Metang would be EQ or Zen Headbutt to help with Monferno. Electrode is there to force switches from bulky waters such as Prinplup and Pelipper. And force switches from offensive waters such as Floatzel and Swanna. You can switch out rain dance for volt switch but I like the surprise factor of rain dance mid/late game. Leafeon is there to lure hard hitting ice moves from waters (mainly Floatzel.) It also knocks off items from walls such as Clefairy, Audino, and Lickilicky. Simisage is there for its great coverage and great speed tier (something the team needs.) Knock off also helps this team out as stated before. Rotom-Frost is there for a very fast hard hitting mon with amazing dual stab coverage. Trick also cripples special walls which helps a lot late game. Volt switch is also great to get Gorebyss in on a switch.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Rain Dance
- Signal Beam

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Low Kick

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After getting several PMs/posts about this I would like to remind people that this thread is currently NOT for gen 7 teams. If you have any good ORAS teams they'd like to officially retire though, we'll still take those.

Articuno Balance

Wisdom (Articuno) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane

Freedom? (Trapinch) @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Recklessness (Pelipper) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Durability (Mawile) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 112 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Baton Pass
- Pain Split

Improvement (Leafeon) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

Ignorance (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Encore

Ok so the core is pretty simple: Trapinch traps Steel and Electrik types to allow Articuno to sweep.
Articuno needs Stealth Rock to be off the field to come in safely, so I added Pelipper: it clears hazards with Defog and checks Monferno and Pawniard, two mons that threaten the core. Knock Off is here to lure Clefairy, as it loses its duel against Trapinch once its item is removed.
I then chose Mawile for Stealth Rock ; it also serves as a Normal Spam check. This version with Rocky Helmet and Pain Split givs it a way to recover some health during the game, and the EV spread ensures to break Bouffalant's Substitute.
You can also run an SD version with Knok Off or Iron Head for help Versus Fat core.
After that, I needed a Pokemon that could pressure defensive cores, so I opted for Leafeon, which is also a Golem check and brings both some speed and a second win condition.
Finally the team required something to manage special versions of Water Spam embodied by namely Floatzel and Simipour and at a lesser extent a check to Rotom-Frost, so I put Clefairy that also checks Altaria. Encore is here to limit the placement of dangerous Pokemon like Duosion.
That's it!
Threatlist:
Rapidash: It threatens my two win conditions and Mawile and is able to get through Pelipper thanks to Wild Charge. The best way to deal with it is to try and bring Trapinch to delete it.
Ursaring: The Swords Dance set will score one kill with each attack if you misspredict. If you fear its placement dont hesitate to put pressure on it, you'll need to play very aggressive if you see Ursaring in the opposing team.
Camerupt: Eruption means one death. Play aggressive around it and if you manage to make it lock itself into Fire Blast or Earth power Trapinch will finish it.
To conclude, the team struggles against the core Bronzor + Altaria, you'll need to keep Stealth Rock up and force Altaria to come in to weaken it, so that Leafeon can dent the opposing defenses.

Enjoy!And thanks to Pragorius for the translating!

Last edited:

Combusken Bulky Offense!
Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic
- Freeze-Dry

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Water]

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace / Baton Pass
So, this team is pretty straight-foward; and, unlike most Combusken builds, pretty much no mons are reliant on its Speed Boosts to do something.
Golem was chosen as a Normal, Flying, Electric, Fire and Poison check. It also provides rocks, priority and gets access to STAB EdgeQuake. Golem is very powerful on its own and not difficult to use. My next member is Cryogonal. Cryo is a super reliable spinner that complements Golem very well, since its immune to Ground, soft checks Grasses and Water with its STAB Freeze-Dry. The reason I picked Toxic because I felt It'd do better versus Stall, playstyle which this team doesn't fare that well against. Grumpig is also very annoying and Knock Off would barely tickle Colbur variants. Next, I added Spintom. It gives me a secondary Grass check, a Monferno check and another way to pressure bulky waters. It punishes Ground-types very well with Will-o-Wisp so Combusken can sweep more easily, also bringing 'mons safely via Volt Switch. Combusken is the star here. With its super strong STABs, its capable of almost solely dismantle Offense, since they have quite few checks for it. As I said earlier, this team doesn't benefit that much from the speed Combusken passes, so HP Ice is usable to lure in two of the few checks offense has for this beast, in Gabite and Altaria. Floatzel is my main wallbreaker, paving the way for a Combusken sweep; also my check to opposing Combusken and one of my revenge killers. Overall, Floatzel is a beast in this meta and there are few reasons not to use it. Leafeon rounds out the team as a more reliable Ground resist, Golem check, Water check and secondary Monferno check. This team is pretty solid although not perfect so things like Water Spam, Rain and Stall gives it some problems, but they can be player around. Have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)