Programming RandomBattle Tooltip

I have been a lurker of Smogon for some time, so I suppose it is my turn to contribute something significant:

Random Battle Tooltip
upload_2017-5-5_14-1-5.png
Showdown's default tooltip is a helpful little program that allows you easily keep track of your opponent's pokemon. Just by moving your mouse, you are able to see possible abilities and speeds as well as item and moves that have been revealed. It is a simple, convenient tool that is widely used by Smogon players.

Consider a game mode like OU in which players can choose a near infinite number of sets for their team. The only restriction players face is just their ability pool and stats. This is precisely the information that the tooltip gives, so it works optimally to reduce the role of memorization in battles.

Now consider a Random Battle. Players have 0 control over their own sets and 0 knowledge about their opponent's sets. Typically the only way to know what the heck you are doing is by "/data" and the speed stat on the tooltip. Even with this, it is easy to lose Garchomps to random Ice Moves (who knew that Cresselia carried Ice Beam?). In general, the tooltip fails to provide enough information to reasonably level the playing field of Random Battles.

upload_2017-5-5_15-6-4.png
You see this? This is straight fire. You may not like it, but this is what peak tooltip performance looks like. By mousing over one of grey words in the bottom-right, you activate one of 4 tooltips that give you useful knowledge tell you about the possible sets your opponent is carrying. You can find on the download link below:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fpeemclhojbkjkamiinkplghgkhddcgc

Yay, Chrome Extensions! No need to run the same file over and over! :D

Some last things that you will probably never read: This project was originally inspired by s769 as a part of a AI project of sorts. I would like to thank him and a few of my friends who helped bug test. This concludes my first and last post on Smogon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)