SM OU Rate My Team (no idea what title to give this xD)

Hello. I want to climb the showdown ladder and I made a team that so far has had overall good success. However, because I am me, I know I am bound to have flaws in my team that I probably haven't noticed yet or just don't know how to solve. For example, the team I made has no way of getting rid of entry hazards. Anyways, I need feedback from pros because I am sure others have an eye for glaring flaws which I don't. So, here's my team:
(Disclaimer: The thread won't have pictures because I don't know how to add those, I'd appreciate it if someone told me how)

The first pokemon I added was Mega Charizard-X. It has dragon claw for STAB Tough Claws (not Outrage so it doesn't get locked), Dragon Dance for sweeping potential, Earthquake for coverage and Flare Blitz for STAB. It is also Jolly to outspeed as much as possible on the crucial 1st turn before it sets up. The 1 thing I could change is replace Earthquake or Dragon Dance with Roost for longevity, but I feel like if I replace Equake it gets walled by Heatran, Toxapex and other walls Equake can handle, but not the other 2 moves (not to mention Tapu Fini would probably beat it without serious setup). Replacing Dragon Dance though reduces Charizard's sweeping potential by a lot, so I don't know. I could use roost to negate stealth rock, but I am not sure. Overall, Charizard is my Mega that is meant find the perfect opportunity to get 1-2 DD off and sweep.
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Next up is Magnezone which, honestly, I mostly added because I really like Magnezone and its steel trapping shenanigans. It carries volt switch for some momentum, Thunderbolt so I am not forced to switch out in order to use an Electric attack, Flash cannon for STAB and HP Fire for coverage against mega scizor, kartana, opposing Magnezone (if it ever comes down to that) and Ferrothorn. I think that's the best HP I could give to my Magnezone, I was considering HP Ground for heatran, but it outspeeds and OHKOes my Magnezone anyways, so no reason for that. As for the item, I have no idea what to give it. Originally it carried Assault Vest for more bulk, but the OU chat told me to add Specs instead. However, I don't think Magnezone could properly do specs, since it is so slow. I'm thinking of adding AV back for the bulk, or putting on it Air Balloon, because it is really hard to trap Excadrill when it can OHKO with Equake. Basically, Magnezone is my steel trapper (surprise surprise), just in case Charizard dies first or there are rocks up.
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Third on the list is Tangrowth, which is a very solid overall wall for me, thus the reason I use it. So far, it's been serving as a good answer to water, ground and steel types, which is always nice. Knock off really helps cripple walls and sludge bomb is an answer to fairy types since Magnezone is mostly for trapping steel types and I don't want to lose it to a fairy. Assault vest is pretty much a standard for Tangrowth and Giga Drain is for some form of recovery, though I might change it to some other grass move because of Regenerator. Also, as you noticed, it has mixed attacking moves, so it has some form of unpredictability and some attacking presence. So far it has actually Nabbed important KOs, most notable being a KO on a setting up Magearna, which would've rampaged through my team with its stat increases. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Tangrowth's perfomance as a wall that can disrupt other walls and Regenerate its HP with every switch out.
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Oh boy, here comes Greninja, my go to revenge killer in pretty much every team. I almost always run it with Choice Scarf to outspeed and, well, revenge kill. I don't really want to change much on my greninja aside from its movepool, potentially. It has Hydro Pump as my only water coverage, Ice beam for dragon slaying, since charizard will just die to them before it sets up and it is a great answer to many things, U-turn for momentum and Grass Knot. Now, for the last move, I was between Grass Knot, for coverage against heavy pokemon/Pokemon weak to grass, Spikes for obvious reasons and Gunk shot for fairy types. Please tell me what your opinion on the moveset is and if I should change anything. I haven't really had much trouble with this moveset so far.
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Landorus-T is my lead pokemon. It has Stealth Rocks, Equake for STAB, U-turn for momentum and, lastly, Explosion. Explosion is a really fun one in my opinion. Since I carry focus sash, I simply go in, set rocks and explode if Lando is low, otherwise I usually U-turn. Celesteela and Skarmory are hard counters to this Lando, which is why I want Magnezone on my team, the last thing I want is a 1v1 against these as Lando. This Lando is also good mid-game for its Intimidate to stop physical attackers, namely Mega Charizard-X, Mega Mawile, Mega Medicham are all vulnerable to either Equake or Explosion after the drop, to which I can bring Greninja and finish them off.
Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Explosion

Last but, hopefully, not least, I got a Tapu Lele. I like it's typing and I think it really brings some variety to my team. It has the potential of setting up if it finds the chance with Calm Mind, but I haven't had much success with setting up, so it may change to a move that brings more coverage. Other than that, it carries Psychic as a very strong STAB in psychic terrain, moonblast for stab and tbolt for coverage. Going back to Calm Mind, I am thinking about changing its item from life orb to psychium-Z and also replace Calm Mind with Focus Blast or Shadow Ball for coverage, or even Toxic just as a surprise to potential non steel Walls.
Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt

And this is my team. So far it has had success I did not expect from a team that I made (loads of self-confidence right there :D) and by that I mean it beats 1/10 teams if the enemy forfeits. Nah just kidding, it actually has had success, but it has some flaws. The biggest flaw is no Defog/Rapid Spin for hazards. Stealth Rocks isn't much of an issue to anyone except for Charizard, who doesn't appreciate losing half his HP before Mega evolving and Sticky Web, which makes Greninja vulnerable to Scarf and Hyper Offense Koko. I could replace U-Turn on Lando with Defog, but I really like the momentum. I guess I'll just decide based on your opinions. Also, this team has no way of stopping a Pokemon once it has setup. Sure, most of the time I take care of a pokemon before it becomes disgustingly strong, but if it manages to get +3 to speed and power, it's unstoppable. Basically I mean I have no Clear Smog or Roar. I don't know how I could add one of those to my team, but I don't think I really need too since not much has actually swept my team. Thank you for taking time out of your life to read this and I'll thank you even more if you give me advice.

Here is the pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/a8fccc5fca7492dd

Mawilove 2.png

Hey there, i'm Mawilove!
I am the Sweet Mawile, and I like to make Decorated and Structured Rates to help other players and share my knowledge :)
I missed the images, they help a lot to make the text more beautiful and easier to understand, as you said yourself. To put the images is very easy: Put the name of the Pokémon on Google, and open his page of the Serebii (Simply put "Pokémon X Serebii"). When you open his Serebii page, you will see a lot of information about the Pokémon, including the sprite, and the mini sprite, as you can see below, just choose which one you will use, and then copy and paste. You can use this page too, just CTRL+F the Pokémon name, but the resolution is a bit worst, and it only has mini sprites.

1540042040538.png
1540047866496.png

(Tapu Lele's page at Serebii) / (The page i said)
So let's start talking about your team: I want to congratulate you, it's very well done, you have a very well structured offensive core (although I'm in doubt about the typing synergy between them), composed by Revenge Killer + Wallbreaker + Late Game Cleaner.

The problem I saw on your team, in fact, was a lack of structure: Your team could be considered a Hyper Offense thanks to their Landorus-T with Focus Sash and incredible four offensive mons, on the other hand you have a Tangrowth, which could consider this team a Bulky Offense, which is where Tangrowth fits best. In my opinion, I could remove your Tangrowth, and put another offensive Pokémon, so that your team can become a well-structured Hyper Offense (I thought of Serperior, because it's still a Grass-type, but now a Defog deterrent), but I think Bulky Offense fits better with your team's proposal, and overall my experience with Bulky Offense is higher than with Hyper Offense, and I find Bulky Offense a much more viable, easy, and popular structure than Hyper Offense currently.
To make matters "worse", I think that turning your team into a true Hyper Offense would be problematic because you would need a strong win condition like Webs, Rain or Hazard Stack, and I think that would change your team a lot. I do not want to change your team a lot, I want to keep its essence.

I have not actually encountered major popular threats that might have 6-0s on your team, but of course I've found some mons hard to deal with, although they can get a Revenge Kill from Greninja, letting them get a KO whenever they get on the field sucks. Here is your threatlist:
Threatlist -
1540047195312.png
1540047453146.png
1540047703953.png
1540047684748.png
1540048134594.png
1540052187316.png

As you can see, it is made up only of physical attackers, and this is due to the fact that you do not have a dedicated physical wall.

Minor Changes

1540050142025.png
Tapu Lele |
1540050133418.png
Life Orb >
1540056902268.png
Fightinium Z
Life Orb should not even be an option. The real alternative options for a Z-Crystal are Choice Specs, Choice Scarf and Twisted Spoon, but you should use a Z Crystal since you do not have a Z-Move user yet.
Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
1540055300663.png
Greninja | Grass Knot > Rock Slide
You need Rock Slide to revenge kill Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y and X, and Grass Knot isn't a good option. Scald is ok for neutral coverage, but i preffer Hydro Pump.
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Scald
1540051714949.png
Landorus-T |
1540051605339.png
Focus Sash >
1540051770982.png
Leftovers

You really need a physical wall, and Landorus-T is the best choice. He is practically the face of Bulky Offense, since he can enter and leave the field several times, generating momentum, pivoting and stopping sweeps. Landorus-T will not fully insure all of their Pokémon's threatlist because they are made up of Wallbreakers, but slowing down their ATK, and enduring one or two hits while hitting a strong Earthquake on them, will already be enough to make them so weakened, which they will no longer pose a threat. He has a good synergy with Tangrowth, dealing with the physical attackers that Tangrowth does not hold, such as Mega Lopunny, while Tangrowth absorbs special attacks, especially the Water type.
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn
Major Change
1540052271261.png
Magnezone >
1540052342036.png
Jirachi OR
1540055662642.png
Kartana

You do not have a good reason to use Magnezone, I understand you, but it's not good to use pokémon just for taste, you can choose what you like, of course, but they have to have a reason to be there, and trap Steel-types is not a reason, you really do not need Magnezone.

Jirachi will help you a lot by being a Steel-type not weak to the Fighting type, absorbing Ice-type attacks that threaten Tangrowth and Landorus-T, countering Kyurem-Black, forcing mind games against Medicham/Lopunny thanks to Protect, and entering and exiting the field with the use of U-turn, so pivoting and generating momentum, which is essential for a Bulky Offense team. Lastly: Jirachi acts as a Wish pass for Tangrowth and Landorus-T, who desperately need.
Choice Band Kartana can also be used in place of Jirachi if you like more offensive power while remaining a Steel-type. Being an additional Wallbreaker is important in Bulky Offense, and Kartana also helps to overwhelm common checks for this team like Celesteela.
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- U-turn
Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
Final considerations
- Skarmory and Celesteela are good options over Jirachi, as they're also Steel-types not weak to Fighting. Celesteela is overall better than Jirachi and Skarmor and hard walls your threatlist, but has no reliable recovery, and Skarmory has access to Roost and Defog.
- Psychium Z can be used over Fightinium Z on Tapu Lele, its just personal preference.
- You can place Stealth Rock on Jirachi, and then Defog on Landorus-T, but i do not like Jirachi losing U-turn and do not like Defog Landorus-T.
- Tapu Bulu over Tangrowth is an ok option, as it counters Garchomp and has better ofensive presence than Tangrowth, however, Grassy Terrain halves Landorus-T Earthquake's power.

You can also choose not to remove the Magnezone, as it is an acceptable Wallbreaker, but this is not a good option.
We have come to an end, these were my decisions, i suggest you to test, and i believe you will like and feel difference, have a good luck, and feel free to PM me on Showdown. :)
Here's the import of your new team:
Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Tangrowth (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Mawilove, The Sweet Mawile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)