SS Ubers RAYsquad

:ss/excadrill: :ss/rayquaza: :ss/xerneas: :ss/yveltal: :ss/eternatus: :ss/necrozma-dusk-mane:
RAYsquad

Hello there, It's been a while since my last SS Ubers RMT and just wanted to make another one to be back to date on the meta. SS Ubers is.... not really a gen I like because of the lack of pokemon to choose from and being forced to run necrozma-dm, yveltal, and eternatus makes me really bored on the meta. I don't like balance this gen because of the 100 turn game mirror matches and finish quickly. This is team is a Hyper Offense featuring a mon that has fallen out of favor since gen 7, Rayquaza.

Teambuilding Process

:rayquaza:

Firstly, I make start a team with a pokemon I want to build with that is viable

:rayquaza: :xerneas:

Next I build a partner for the pokemon I wanted to build that checks each others weaknesses, or they have check a certain wall to give full potential to the other, like Rayquaza checking Necrozma-DM for Xerneas

:excadrill:

My goal is to not make a balanced team but rather a HO team. All HO teams have a reliable lead pokemon. I chose Excadrill because of it's access to Rapid Spin to clear rocks for Ray

:necrozma-dusk-mane: :eternatus: :yveltal:

Next I need a check to the biggest metagame threats. Zacian, Kyogre and Calyrex are the biggest threats in the metagame right now

The Team

:ss/rayquaza:
Rayquaza @ Focus Sash :focus-sasH:
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed

Ray is a wall breaker that smacks a bunch of the metagame and due to the lack of Arcues forms, it can spam Dragon Ascent and deal a huge chunk to anything that isn't named Zygarde-Complete, I chose this set because Rayquaza is super frail and to atleast avoid a KO from Eternatus, and also Excadrill's Rapid Spin helps avoid Stealth Rocks early in the game. Adamant deals more damage in general because I don't think you need max speed on it because most of the walls don't run speed investment.

:ss/xerneas:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 168 Def / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder

Xerneas is the sweeper of the team. Standard Geomancy set and I use Aromatheraphy because of the annoyance of status conditions and offers some good utility too. V-Create Rayquaza can lure NDM which can lead to a GeoXern sweep.
Speed investment is needed to outspeed Scarf Palkia and Scarf Kyogre because you dont wanna get revenge killed by their strong attacks and when you are low. Don't set up Geomancy early game, only use it when checks are weakened or fainted.

:ss/excadrill:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Excadrill is a great Stealth Rock setter due to its access to Rapid Spin, mid tier speed and high attack stat. Rock tomb helps against the common Frosslass lead, deals super effective damage to Yveltal and Ho-oh and the Speed lowering can be useful for the other members.

:ss/necrozma-dusk-mane:

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

The standard Offensive Dragon Dance Set. Max attack helps it against opposing Necrozma-Dusk-Manes and deals more damage against Zygarde. Stone Edge helps against Ho-oh and Yveltal and Earthquake and Sunsteel Strike are for coverage. NDM can switch in on Eternatus and take atleast 2 Flamethrowers but be sure that there are no revenge killers before doing so.

:ss/eternatus:

Eternatus @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 96 HP/ 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb

Eternatus is the second wall breaker of the team. The used speed is to out speed base 100s, HP Investment allows it to take a Psyshock from Calyrex-S after Stealth Rock damage and Max Special Attack to maximize damage output. I really like the Power Herb set because it lures Ho-oh and Yveltal and the boost after gives it more wallbreaking power. Dynamax Cannon and Flamethrower are needed in every Eternatus set and Sludge Bomb to atleast poison Blissey for a bit of chip damage.

:ss/yveltal:

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

I found this set from Raph369 and I think it's quite successful even without Roost. Taunt is a must to preserve Stealth Rocks and disables opposing Yveltal from Recovering and using Defog. Knock Off is a spammable move to remove items and deals a good amount of damage to foes with Dark Aura and 252 Attack. Fast U-Turn helps it become a fast pivot to preserve some of its HP. And finally Sucker Punch to surprise foes faster than Yveltal.

Threatlist

:shuckle:
Shuckle

Slurpuff, Galvantula and Ribombee can be checked by Excadrill but Shuckle has access to Encore making Excadrill setup fodder

:necrozma-dusk-mane: :zygarde:
Substitute Setup sweepers

You're always forced to sack atleast one of your mons in order to break their sub

The team

:rayquaza:-:xerneas:-:excadrill:-:necrozma-dusk-mane:-:yveltal:-:eternatus:

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Hi, I think this team is pretty solid looking at it overall, ray is a really good pick rn on HO imo because sd sets just kind of break things. I do think the team is approaching how to build SD ray slightly off though, as it's super low speed when compared to almost all the metas speed control makes it really want both Jolly Nature and webs. I think if you went with DD Ray using rocks lead Exca is fine, but for SD I think webs is better support so I'll put both up as options, but first a few minor changes that I'd do regardless.

Minor Changes:
:yveltal:
U-turn --> Roost
If you're running this Yveltal, I think it's best to always have Roost. Physical Taunt Knock is mostly there to 1v1 other Yveltal while also being better against Scarf Caly-S, and you can't really take many hits if you can't recover it off which would make you almost lose 1v1 to other Yveltal since you have to Taunt more often than not to prevent Defog. Roost is just great for longevity, and I think it'll help a lot here.

Option 1 - Major and Minor Changes Webs Version:
:excadrill: --> :slurpuff:
If you wanna go the SD Rayquaza route, I think Slurpuff as a lead is generally better. Ray having webs is so good since it can outspeed everything unboosted barring Regieleki, letting it actually threaten things without just being outsped by most breakers and even some walls like fast Yveltal. Slurpuff > other webs setters because imo it's the best and also gives Yawn + Magic Coat which can try to prevent rockcs from going up as well with 50/50's. 0 bulk Iv's just to activate sash more often.
Slurpuff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Yawn
- Misty Explosion

Adamant --> Jolly
Espeed --> Scale Shot

Adamant ray is just too slow for every scenario. You don't want your big breaker being outsped by things like Calyrex even with webs up or fast Yveltal which can just Foul Play and Defog. Scale Shot is also a really nice option as the last move, letting it hit Zygarde and Eternatus a lot better while boosting its speed so things like Scarf Calyrex-S can't revenge with just 1 boost and webs up.
Rayquaza @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot

Option 2 - Minor Changes Excadrill Version:
If you wanted to keep the Excadrill for spin support, this is the direction I'd take the team.
Adamant --> Jolly
SD --> DD
Optional: Espeed --> Scale Shot / Draco Meteor (with naive nature(

Like mentioned, Rayquaza's flaw on this style is the speed. It needs as much as it can get, so I think DD Ray can be used as a cleaner here rather than a breaker like SD. At +1 it's still really strong just lacks a little bit of power, but with sash ideally in tact because of Excadrill it can force switches and likely get 2 boosts regardless. Espeed is really nice for the priority but I'm having both Dragon-type moves as optional, because they let it smack Zygarde trying to wall dd sets. Draco just OHKO's Phys.def Zygarde before becoming complete form which can greatly help out ndm so personally I'd go with that but it's up to you.

:heavy-duty-boots: --> :black-glasses:
72 sp.def evs

Keeping the change of U-turn --> Roost in mind, I think an offensive Black Glasses set works really well on this style specifically. It punishes Eternatus switching in a lot harder, and if Excadrill can keep rocks off it doesn't fear switching in much. You can afford the slight power drop because of the item now for 72 sp.def evs, letting you live 2 Choice Specs Astral Barrages from Calyrex-S. Same set pretty much but more offensive since there's hazard control for opposing HO now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated RMT Webs Version (pokepast.es)
Updated RMT Excadrill Version (pokepast.es)

Here are both versions, I hope you like the changes on one or both! There wasn't a ton to look at, the big core was really solid with Yvel NDM Etern and Xern, I just think the way you approached ray had to change a bit depending on the lead you used, since ray is a fairly linear mon that needs things like speed for it to break. Very cool team though, looks pretty effective overall.

Hi, I think this team is pretty solid looking at it overall, ray is a really good pick rn on HO imo because sd sets just kind of break things. I do think the team is approaching how to build SD ray slightly off though, as it's super low speed when compared to almost all the metas speed control makes it really want both Jolly Nature and webs. I think if you went with DD Ray using rocks lead Exca is fine, but for SD I think webs is better support so I'll put both up as options, but first a few minor changes that I'd do regardless.

Minor Changes:
U-turn --> Roost
If you're running this Yveltal, I think it's best to always have Roost. Physical Taunt Knock is mostly there to 1v1 other Yveltal while also being better against Scarf Caly-S, and you can't really take many hits if you can't recover it off which would make you almost lose 1v1 to other Yveltal since you have to Taunt more often than not to prevent Defog. Roost is just great for longevity, and I think it'll help a lot here.

Option 1 - Major and Minor Changes Webs Version:
:excadrill: --> :slurpuff:
If you wanna go the SD Rayquaza route, I think Slurpuff as a lead is generally better. Ray having webs is so good since it can outspeed everything unboosted barring Regieleki, letting it actually threaten things without just being outsped by most breakers and even some walls like fast Yveltal. Slurpuff > other webs setters because imo it's the best and also gives Yawn + Magic Coat which can try to prevent rockcs from going up as well with 50/50's. 0 bulk Iv's just to activate sash more often.
Slurpuff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Yawn
- Misty Explosion

Adamant --> Jolly
Espeed --> Scale Shot

Adamant ray is just too slow for every scenario. You don't want your big breaker being outsped by things like Calyrex even with webs up or fast Yveltal which can just Foul Play and Defog. Scale Shot is also a really nice option as the last move, letting it hit Zygarde and Eternatus a lot better while boosting its speed so things like Scarf Calyrex-S can't revenge with just 1 boost and webs up.
Rayquaza @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot

Option 2 - Minor Changes Excadrill Version:
If you wanted to keep the Excadrill for spin support, this is the direction I'd take the team.
Adamant --> Jolly
SD --> DD
Optional: Espeed --> Scale Shot / Draco Meteor (with naive nature(

Like mentioned, Rayquaza's flaw on this style is the speed. It needs as much as it can get, so I think DD Ray can be used as a cleaner here rather than a breaker like SD. At +1 it's still really strong just lacks a little bit of power, but with sash ideally in tact because of Excadrill it can force switches and likely get 2 boosts regardless. Espeed is really nice for the priority but I'm having both Dragon-type moves as optional, because they let it smack Zygarde trying to wall dd sets. Draco just OHKO's Phys.def Zygarde before becoming complete form which can greatly help out ndm so personally I'd go with that but it's up to you.

:heavy-duty-boots: --> :black-glasses:
72 sp.def evs

Keeping the change of U-turn --> Roost in mind, I think an offensive Black Glasses set works really well on this style specifically. It punishes Eternatus switching in a lot harder, and if Excadrill can keep rocks off it doesn't fear switching in much. You can afford the slight power drop because of the item now for 72 sp.def evs, letting you live 2 Choice Specs Astral Barrages from Calyrex-S. Same set pretty much but more offensive since there's hazard control for opposing HO now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated RMT Webs Version (pokepast.es)
Updated RMT Excadrill Version (pokepast.es)

Here are both versions, I hope you like the changes on one or both! There wasn't a ton to look at, the big core was really solid with Yvel NDM Etern and Xern, I just think the way you approached ray had to change a bit depending on the lead you used, since ray is a fairly linear mon that needs things like speed for it to break. Very cool team though, looks pretty effective overall.
Thanks for the response! Just one question, is Max Speed NDM fine?

Reactions: Fc

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Thanks for the response! Just one question, is Max Speed NDM fine?
yep, max speed ndm works just fine and usually is the standard on HO teams since throwing bulk in other places just makes it either weaker or slower than it wants to be. You could probably play around with some calcs though as long as you still kill and outspeed what you want to, but just max max spreads are fine for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)