Ribombee (Fairy)

[OVERVIEW]

• Access to Sticky Web makes it a solid utility Pokemon. Sticky Web is an extremely useful tool for Fairy teams, giving them very good speed control and making them become terrifyingly difficult to deal with offensively on types like Water and Bug.
  • It has useful options like Stun Spore, U-Turn or even Tailwind, which give it more utility than just setting Sticky Webs and helping in different matchups like Bug and Flying.
  • High speed makes setting up Sticky Web easy against types like Fire, Steel, and Grass.
  • Unfortunately, it is unable to outspeed key threats like Tapu Koko and Deoxys-Speed; both of which can Taunt it to prevent it from setting Sticky Web.
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and low bulk alongside the inability to pressure common Defoggers such as Zapdos and Rotom-Heat prevents it from coming in and setting hazards reliably.
[SET]
name: Sticky Web
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Hidden Power [Fire]
move 4: Stun Spore / U-Turn
item: Focus Sash
ability: Shield Dust
nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Sticky Web is the only reason to use Ribombee, making it mandatory. This is extremely helpful for Fairy teams because it tremendously improves their matchup against offensive types like Steel, Fire and Bug, which it struggles against otherwise.
  • Moonblast is its main STAB, hitting decently hard off its 95 Special Attack. Notably, it lets it muscle past Mega-Sableye and Mega-Diancie, which is the main reason to use it over Bug Buzz.
  • Hidden Power Fire 2HKOs Scizor, a huge threat to Fairy teams, preventing it from setting up in its face.
  • Stun Spore is useful to paralyze opposing Pokemon and makes setting up harder, however, it has very shaky accuracy and doesn’t affect Grass types. This move prevents it from being setup bait for dangerous Pokemon like Volcarona and also targets levitating and Flying-type Pokemon like Rotom-H or Mega-Pinsir, who are immune to Sticky Webs’ effect. This benefits the team since it eliminates the foes’ speed advantage, giving you more control in the match.
  • U-Turn makes it a decent pivot, forming a VoltTurn core with Tapu Koko, but Stun Spores’ ability to halt sweeps from the likes of Excadrill and Gengar is usually appreciated more.

Set Details
========

• 252 Speed EVs with a Timid Nature maximize its Speed, allowing it to outspeed important Pokemon like non-scarf Gengar, Victini, and Jirachi.
  • 252 Special Attack EVs allow it to 2HKO Mega-Scizor with Hidden Power Fire. This investment also lets it beat Magic Bounce Pokemon such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie.
  • Shield Dust prevents moves like Fake Out and Scald from activating their secondary effect which can potentially allow Ribombee to live another turn.
  • Focus Sash allows it to reliably set Sticky Web against teams carrying Pokemon that are capable of outpacing and OHKOing Ribombee. It also enables it to take a hit from slower Pokemon then use Stun Spore or fire back with an attack.

Usage Tips
========

• Ribombee should almost always be used as a lead unless the opponent has a Pokemon that can prevent it from setting Sticky Web.
  • However, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a suicide lead; Ribombee’s high speed can allow it to come in later to set up Sticky Web again.
  • After using Sticky Web try to either hit opposing Pokemon with Moonblast or paralyze any Pokemon that tries to use it as set up fodder.
  • Alternatively, switch it out so you can sack it for momentum later on or come back in to set up Sticky Web again.
  • Try to use screens support from Klefki to be able to switch into moves it otherwise wouldn't like Skarmory’s Brave Bird and hit back with Hidden Power Fire.
  • Ribombee's typing has good synergy with Fairy staples like Mega-Diancie, Azumarill and Klefki, and Ribombee's ability to pivot into Grass and Ground-type moves respectively is appreciated by the entire team.
  • Ribombee is able to force out some hazard removers like Mandibuzz, Forretress and Latios, so try to switch into the predicted Defog or Rapid Spin to set up Sticky Web again.
  • Do not be afraid to sack Ribombee if you need momentum since it's not a particularly important member of the team once Sticky Web is set and is in no danger of being removed. If the opponents hazard remover is still alive, try to conserve its health so it can set Sticky Web back up in a pinch.

Team Options
========

• Mega-Diancie becomes a fierce sweeper under Sticky Webs, making it almost impossible to handle offensively, notably outspeeding Choice Scarf Excadrill and speed-tying with Choice Scarf Gengar.
  • Tapu Koko acts as a great teammate by pressuring common Flying-type Defoggers such as Mantine and Zapdos with its Electric Terrain boosted STAB attacks as well as Taunt to prevent them from clearing hazards. Tapu Koko also benefits from Ribombee's ability to provide Sticky Web support that allows it to outpace Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Victini and Buzzwole.
  • Scarf Tapu Bulu outspeeds every grounded Scarfer with Sticky Web, giving amazing speed control to Fairy teams, while Choice Band Tapu Bulu appreciates being able to pressure offensive builds as well as defensive ones. This makes it an extremely potent offensive threat to teams such as Steel and Ground. Ribombee can also relieve it from being the only Ground and Grass attack switch in, which is helpful if you want to conserve its health or if unsure if the opponent will go for the move you expect them too.
  • Klefki can set Reflect and Light Screen to mitigate Ribombee’s lacking bulk, allowing it to come into play to set up Sticky Web more often. Ribombee can also switch into Ground-type moves for it. Additionally, it can set up Spikes, which can potentially help Ribombee OHKO less bulky regular Scizor variants with Hidden Power Fire.
  • Azumarill under Sticky Web is an extremely potent wallbreaker with Belly Drum, being able to outspeed threats like Mega-Scizor, Seismitoad, and Breloom, which are otherwise able to check it. Azumarill appreciates Ribombee’s resistance to Grass attacks and ability to pivot into them for it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Quiver Dance can be used in the last move slot to pressure bulkier builds that don't mind Sticky Web as much, but its hard to set up and Ribombee doesn't benefit as much from it since its easy to wall because of lacking damage output.
  • Tailwind has use as a last-ditch resort to further support its team, making most Pokemon in the team outspeed the entire meta, but isn't as useful as Stun Spore or U-Turn since Sticky Web already gives you a speed advantage, and that move slot can go to another utility option. It can be useful against Flying, however, since Flying-type Pokemon are immune to Sticky Webs’ effect.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Taunt Users**: Deoxys-Speed and Tapu Koko can prevent it from setting Sticky Web and proceed to use it to set up Spikes of its own or forcing it out respectively.

**Bulky Walls**: While Pokemon like Mega-Venusaur, Chansey and Heatran can’t prevent Ribombee from setting Sticky Web, they can wall it completely since they take very little damage from its moves and don’t usually mind paralysis as much.

**Stealth Rock**: A weakness to Stealth Rock means it will rarely be able to come in safely to set Hazards numerous times. This is especially true if it is running U-Turn since Stealth Rock damage will add up over time.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The analysis seems to be lacking major details. I would recommend looking at other analyses in progress such as 1, 2, or by looking at Monotype analyses on site

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
As the analysis stands I'd have to rewrite everything as most of the information presented has no explanation behind it or simply is something I can find on Ribombee's Pokedex entry. The reasons for using Ribombee on Fairy are never really mentioned or explicitly hinted at as well. If you want help with anything, namely making an analysis that's passable for QC, you can message either myself or other QC members on PS! or Smogon and you can use the examples that Vid posted to practice with.

QC 1/3 Rejected.

Overview:

* Access to Sticky Web makes it a solid utility Pokemon. Sticky Web is an extremely useful tool for Fairy teams, giving them very good speed control and making them become terrifyingly difficult to deal with offensively on types like Water and Bug.
- Okay so, Ribombee is not a utility Pokemon and the reasoning behind that is, Ribombee fails to provide a variety of roles besides being a suicide with Sticky Webs. It only has 1 role, 1 job alone. I don't see any emphasis about Ribombee being the only and main sticky web user for fairy teams. That's why it's ever so viable now and the fact it helps fairy teams check offensive teams as well.
It has useful options like Stun Spore, U-Turn or even Tailwind, which give it more utility than just setting Sticky Webs and helping in different matchups like Bug and Flying.
- In all honesty, all three of these moves aren't relevant on Ribombee. Ribombee is usually supposed to act as a suicide lead with Sticky Web. Tailwind. Like you said earlier in the analysis, you have Sticky Web, why do you really need it at all? Also, it's only something that'll last 4 turns (3 after setting up and fainting). It's not that useful, even at all to the analysis. The same thing can be said with Stun Spore. There is really no point in using it when Sticky Web is available. The only niche it has is paralyzing Levitate, Flying-, and Ground-types and the para that comes alongside it. You're also bargaining on full paralysis, which isn't healthy at all and can be a hit or miss for your team with its terrible accuracy. U-turn isn't something needed on Ribombee at all.
* High speed makes setting up Sticky Web easy against types like Fire, Steel, and Grass.
- I don't see how its high speed stat allow it to set up Sticky Webs against these types because I don't necessarily understand how it helps against these types. There's lack in explanation as to why you mentioned these three types, specifically, I would mention threats that would outspeed fairy teams when running Sticky Webs.
- There is no mentioning of Ribombee lacking coverage moves because yes it's really bad, only to rely on Hidden Power Fire to hit steel teams and coupled with its lack of coverage, its special attack stat isn't even all that good, which fails to even deal a considerable amount of damage to threats.
- I don't see any mentioning of Quiver Dance at all, which I too see is important on Ribombee.
* Weakness to Stealth Rock and low bulk alongside the inability to pressure common Defoggers such as Zapdos and Rotom-Heat prevents it from coming in and setting hazards reliably.
- You should also note that Ribombee is really easy to revenge kill with priority or faster Pokemon from its low bulk.
- I don't see anything else about what its typing affects its team negatively besides stealth rock.

Set/Moves:
- Stun Spore and U-turn should definitely be scrapped from the set and Quiver Dance should be put there instead. It gives Ribombee a reliable means to set up and actually damage something to possibly KOing a threat. Neither Stun Spore and U-turn have actual use in the set.
- For the Sticky Web comment, I don't see any important details as to why this is important. What notable Pokemon from those types keep fairy from ever beating them?
- U-turn and Stun Spore aren't really good options that I'd see are viable in the set.

Set Details:
- Jirachi shouldn't be mentioned on that list. Choice Scarf Jirachi isn't that good.
- Remove mentioning of Stun Spore and Focus Sash just guarantees Ribombee setting up Sticky Web.

Usage Tips:
* After using Sticky Web try to either hit opposing Pokemon with Moonblast or paralyze any Pokemon that tries to use it as set up fodder.
- Remove Stun Spore anything about it shouldn't be in here. I don't think this is really important at all because that's mainly all Ribombee can do unless it's able to come in and set webs after they been removed.
* Alternatively, switch it out so you can sack it for momentum later on or come back in to set up Sticky Web again.
- I don't really understand what you mean here by switching it out to sack later. I don't see what it can really do besides setting webs and coming in later to set them again once removed.
* Try to use screens support from Klefki to be able to switch into moves it otherwise wouldn't like Skarmory’s Brave Bird and hit back with Hidden Power Fire.
- Tapu Koko can pretty much get rid of Skarmory and the opponent can switch out into Heatran.

Team Options:
* Scarf Tapu Bulu outspeeds every grounded Scarfer with Sticky Web, giving amazing speed control to Fairy teams, while Choice Band Tapu Bulu appreciates being able to pressure offensive builds as well as defensive ones. This makes it an extremely potent offensive threat to teams such as Steel and Ground. Ribombee can also relieve it from being the only Ground and Grass attack switch in, which is helpful if you want to conserve its health or if unsure if the opponent will go for the move you expect them too.
- Scarf Bulu is already a threat to Ground teams itself without sticky web. The only thing it's worrying about is Sand Rush Excadrill, Scarf Mamo, and Dugtrio. I would specifically mention those threats instead.
* Klefki can set Reflect and Light Screen to mitigate Ribombee’s lacking bulk, allowing it to come into play to set up Sticky Web more often. Ribombee can also switch into Ground-type moves for it. Additionally, it can set up Spikes, which can potentially help Ribombee OHKO less bulky regular Scizor variants with Hidden Power Fire.
- In general they hazard stack too.

Other Options:
- I'd remove Tailwind
- Move Quiver Dance to the main set
- Move Stun Spore and U-turn here, even then I wouldn't really use it

Checks and Counters:
- Missing:
| Steel-types | Poison-types | Rock-types | Entry Hazard Removal | Revenge Killers |

This is just too much to add here and other things are missing from the Usage Tips as well.

QC Rejected 2/3

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going to QC reject 3/3 because the analysis needs to much work you can try again in a couple weeks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)