SM OU RMT, Balanced Team:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya everyone,

currtently I'm looking for a team which will be my main team. After I finished my Rain Dance Team, which is still in improvement, I decided to create a team with Azumarill. Azumarill is my favorite Pokémon and I was thinking about on how I could build a team around it.

This team is 100% balanced, and thats why I love to play with this team. I hate defensive teams, thats why I also prefer offensive teams. Team work, offensive and great Pivots have been necessary to build my team. This is my second competitive Pokémon team which I have built, so please be kind.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 246 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Heatran is most of the times the starter in the beginning of a game. If any water type Pokémon is in the game, then Tangrowth comes in and checks the water type Pokémon. Heatran helps out with Stealth Rocks to damage the other team, uses Lava Plume to get rid of Pokémon like Venusaur, Celesteela, Scizor and alot ohter Pokémon. Since Heatran is very bulky it is able to take alot of damage, and Leftovers recovers Heatran pretty good. If I have any trouble with ground types, I'm able to switch over to Latias. Im also able to switch over to Rotom-Wash or Azumarill, thats why my next step is very unpredictable.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 42 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is the main star. Since yet I'm not so sure when I should switch into Azumarill to use Belly Drum. Any suggest here? I think theres not much to say on this set, Belly Drum pushes Azumarill really great and Huge Power gives Azumarill a second attack boost. After Belly Drum the attack Aqua Jet becomes a big threat. Knock Off handles Pokemon with an holding item and Play Rough is another great STAB attack besides Aqua Jet. Since

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Lopunny is another full attacker besides Azumarill. With 0 Happiness, Frustration becomes a very strong attack. Im unsure if Ice Punch is the right attack in this set, what do you guys think?

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is great. I choosed a pretty bulky one which easily handles things like Greninja or Pokémon which are a threat to Heatran. With Rotom-Wash and Heatran I have a great Pivots for helping out when things get tough.

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

I like Latias, thats why she is in the game. Close to everyone uses a Landorus at the beginning. Starting with Latias and a Ice Beam checks Landorus. Latias is also great against Garchomp or Pokémon with weaknesses against Ice. The ability Levitate helps my Heatran when it has to deal with a ground type. Instead of Defog I have been choosing Ice Beam, I want a Latias with at least 3 attacks.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

What can I say about this set? Rotom-Wash is awesome and pretty bulky. The only thing I'm not sure about is to change Will-O-Wisp with Thunderbolt, that would be great against things like Greninja, Gyarados or flying types. What do you guys think? Rotom-Wash is the one which gets alot of punches in his face. He helps out Heatran, he is able to help out the complete team since it is only weak against grass types.

This team will be my main team. I hope to get some improvement on my team. To be hones, I dont want to change any Pokemon in here, since the team is very balanced.

Showdown:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-756133757
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-756142902
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-757390006

By the way, Greninja has the attack Shadow Sneak, how should I deal with this set? Switch into Lopunny and kill it with High Jump Kick? Shadow Sneak really makes me feel lost sometimes, because this attack always begins first.

Thanks for your help! Cheers, Florian :-)​

Last edited:
Here is the RMT you requested for this team. I definitely love the idea of running a balance team revolving around Azumarill. I'm gonna start off with answering some of your qns. Shadow Sneak Greninja isn't run that often, I know someone recently showcased it in their rmt but it was mainly to prevent rapid spin I'm pretty sure. Either way your original team handles it well anyway.

Threats:

-
Hawlucha is pretty threatening to this team as once it hits +2 your rotom doesn't eat a HJK.

- Lack of Speed control. Currently you have no scarf user. While you do have Lopunny and Latias which are quite fast a scarfer is still important on most teams exception of stall for example.

-
Both Lele and Mega Lati@s (mainly latios) are problems for this team as you struggle to break through them and switch into them that well. Heatran would get worn down and is an easy prediction. Plus latios run EQ to deal with it

-
There are a few things I could say you are weak to like Medicham and Kyurem Black but in general very few mons check these threats anyway.

Minor changes:

-
I would run Normalium Z on your Azumarill because it heals your azu to full and allows you to belly drum no matter what hp you are on. Meaning you can eat a hit from a faster mon and Z Belly to sweep.

-
Id change up the movesets on your heatran a little bit. I'd run magma storm to punish stall more and other really annoying mons providing more chip for a Azu sweep. I'd also swap out toxic for Will-O-wisp. This let's you catch zygarde on the switch and you can avoid sucker punch from mawile and burn it.

Major Changes:

-
So I don't really see a reason to run Mega Lopunny other than to potentially revenge kill something. It is walled by the same mons that Azu is such as Pex and skarmory. I think you can just get away with running Mega Scizor which can act as a secondary Lando and kart check. As well as being a kyurem switch in assuming it doesn't have hp fire. Scizor for this reason is beneficial for the team as the changes I am gonna suggest make you quite weak to ice stab.

-
So to deal with your Lucha issue I would run Zapdos. While Rotom is a decent mon it doesn't check it as well as zapdos does. Zapdos cam also decently check swampert and gyarados. Discharge let's you potentially para something like kyurem and clef for example which is great for Azumarill. Heat wave let's you check Kartana, Scizor and Ferrothorn. Roost for longetivity and toxic to beat Gastrodon one on one which is very important for this team and to catch the lati twins on switch. I suggest pressure to deal with stall better.

-
Now for your speed control I would advice running scarf Latias. Originally I had lando in this position but I dont think you need to run it here with the next change. I would run defog on this set to clear away entry hazards and healing wish to get your Azumarill or scizor back up to full to sweep. The reason for keeping Latias is because you can also revenge kill Kyurem and Zygarde and play around against Lele and Medicham better by doubling. E.g. go into Latias if you expect a Fightinium Z from Lele for example.

-
The final change I would recommend is running Gastrodon over Tangrowth because you get a ground type capable of stopping volt switch. It still checks greninja, koko but it also provides a better heatran check bar a grassium Z set. Scald is standard stab with a burn chance and earthquake to deal with the likes of heatran and magearna. Though you should be wary of energy ball sets running around on magearna. Toxic let's you beat certain mons easier and recover for sustainability ofc.

Conclusion:

I hope you like the changes, the team still has it's threats but you can play around them. There are alternative spreads you can run on some Pokemon which I will mention now. E.g. you can run taunt over Will-O-wisp if you find your matchup vs stall hard though Azumarill should run through it when skarmory and unaware mons are gone/weakened. You can run an impish nature with max defense on scizor to better check zygarde and lando for example. U-turn is also an option over knock off.
The team does require you to be able to double pretty effectively but with practise that should be fine.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock

Last edited:
I realised i didn't really solve your Lati@s problem. You can run Tapu Bulu over Gastrodon if you find it is too hard to play around though you do lose the electric immunity which you might have to forgo. This is the Bulu set I would run to deal with it. Megahorn over Madness to be able to beat the twins. Grassy terrain is also nice for your Heatran and Scizor and helps relieve pressure off heatran to check Lele

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower

I forgot to take this into consideration when changing the team but test out both Mons and see how it goes.

Thanks alot again Twilight! I love the team and I'll check out if I run Gastrodon or Tapu Bulu. Somehow I want to start with Bulu first. I'm happy that at least my idea was good :-) Thanks mate, I really appreciate your work here!

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi - I'm locking your RMT for the time being since you're only allowed to post one team every two weeks. This is stated in the forum rules. I'll reopen this thread on June 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)