All Gens RoAPL 3: Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Banner by TrainerSplash | Auction assisted by OrdA | Official RoAPL Discord Server | Spreadsheet

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Semifinals | Finals

Decided with Crestfall

Adjudged Wins

Sergi (0-W) Vileman

Sergi was inactive over the weekend when he apparently said he'd try to be around on Sunday.

Malekith (W-0) reyscarface

Profile posts private for reyscarface and he apparently didn't respond to a PM made on Monday.

Dead Games

idiotfrommars (D-D) Texas Cloverleaf
Magellan (D-D) fatty

Team Standings

1st | __Dewford Dogs__ | 4 points | 28-26
2nd | ___Koniko Klan__ | 3 ½ points | 31-28
3rd | _Viridian Vaporeon | 2 ½ points | 30-30
4th | _The Navy Spheals | 2 ½ points | 28-25
5th| Pacifidlog Typhloons | 2 points | 31-26
6th | _Pyrite Town Pichus | 2 points | 29-29
7th | __Eterna Eevees__ | 2 points | 25-30
8th | Snowpoint Sneasels | 1 ½ points | 25-33

⏫Click here to view match results and replays⏫

Last edited:

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL 3 Team Interview of the Week #5: Snowpoint Sneasels

Interview took place during RoAPL 3 Finals (Astamatitos and Eden's Embrace [SunnyORAS] were interviewed separately)

Lutra: I'm joined by Acting manager Astamatitos and ADV player of Snowpoint Sneasels, Eden's Embrace [to replace forum banned Foggi]. Astamatitos, how did you become assistant manager of Snowpoint Sneasels and do you know why the name was chosen?

Astamatitos: Pleased to be here! A friend of mine, Foggi, wanted to manage a team and he asked me if I'd have time to assist. Managing felt like a good change of pace, especially coming fresh out of SPL which is a pretty hectic, for lack of a better word, period for a battler. As far as the naming of the team we decided to go for a cool looking poke and then pick a city to go with it. Initially we wanted Weavile but 'Snowpoint Sneasels' felt like it had a better ring to it.

Lutra: How did the auction go? Were you pleased with the players your team got?

Astamatitos: We made an initial spreadsheet with candidate battlers, but owed to the narrow pool of players the picking process is pretty volatile depending on the day. We are pretty pleased with the final roster, having pretty solid slots in all our gens and the wildcard that was Vileman.

Lutra: Results-wise, you did better in RBY and ADV, do you think your MVPs were the RBY and ADV players?

Astamatitos: I'd say the ADV and RBY guys were definitely amongst the most hard-working. Sunny (Eden's Embrace( and CZ would PM me occasionally for visuals and general guidance on what to run for their ADV opponent week after week, and their hard work certainly seems to have paid off. Ninja was also pretty driven as well and Alexander is a first class battler. We did let RBY in the hands of VIleman early on and he yielded good results too. Other than that I feel that all of our guys played pretty well, certainly beyond what their results show. Tricking and Fakes which are phenomenal battlers didn't get a representative score in this ROAPL i'd say.

Lutra: Eden's Embrace, what was it like playing ADV for Snowpoint Sneasels? Did you feel any pressure?

Eden's Embrace: hm for the Sneasel's I never felt overly pressured except for my first game, which ended up I think ruining our first week.
Otherwise asta and foggi stepped up and helped me plan out teams vs everyone... so i ended up feeling fine... in terms of teams. In terms of playing the first week, misclick on t2 still stings a bit, but otherwise I think I did fine. CZ was also a great presence to have on the team. We're friends otherwise, so it made the environment feel pretty welcoming and I always had a sounding board for my ideas.

Lutra: What were your best moments in RoAPL 3, Astamatitos?

Astamatitos: 1) The origination of the #NSFW channel in our discord. 2) Sunny beating Mizuhime with a 10 minute team we put together for him along with the obligatory rage post that followed.

Lutra: Did Foggi's getting into trouble (rule-breaking) with the ubers community and then the tournament community have any impact on the morale of your team?

Astamatitos: I wouldn't say it had a significant impact on the team as Foggi was still undertaking manager duties informally. Our meme game in the group chat certainly stepped up post-Foggi ban. : D

Eden's Embrace: hm not really :x; it made for some banter in the team, but it didn't really affect how the team ran I'd say. We were always pretty upbeat and we tried to turn it around but it wasn't to be :']

Lutra: It is unfortunate your team came last. Regarding team tournaments, Eden's Embrace, is your main goal to get into ADV in SPL and achieve a good record there or do you want to be recognised as a good player in many different tiers?

Eden's Embrace: I don't know if I'll ever have the pleasure of playing in an SPL, but I had the chance to help some of the SPL players with team tweaks and tests. I might or might not like the atmosphere :']. Obviously it is a goal though, since I've dedicated most of my time playing recently to ADV; I have played/am playing it for some other team tours/individual tours atm and hopefully things go well :']. I'd like to be known as at least a decent player in other tiers as well, however, I probably still have a ways to go in ADV I think. It's been a fun ride happily :smile:( It's been wonderful having more experienced adv'ers like asta/tof/ud/cz/dan/callous/foggi(edited) back me up with teams and tests and constant feedback.... deluks , kingler(lul),and obii as well :']; tsr,ninjax,contact all at various times have been nice testing partners as well.

Lutra: That sounds great. Who are the top players in ADV or any tier, Eden's Embrace, you'd most like to face (including ones in retirement) in a tournament setting?

Eden's Embrace: In ADV, due to callous' cash tournament I have had the chance to play some great players like Malekith and Tamahome, that I always wanted to go up against in a competitive setting. So that's two off the list! Other than that I would love for the chance to go up against any of Fear/BKC/Dan/asta/UD/CZ(POWC game didn't count)/Coffe/Callous(that beat up houndoom was a one off) in a more serious setting.
I'd like to go up against Undisputed as well again though, although my recent results vs him don't make for the most pleasant reading :'] One of these days I would love to face off vs my tutee Isza in a serious setting. Majin Tupac no longer plays but I know about him, and would love to see how I stack up.

Lutra: Interesting, I did enjoy playing friendly battles with him years ago. Did you get to know anyone better in the Snowpoint Sneasels discord?

Eden's Embrace: I think a midseason would be nice. The format was perfect though - I wouldn't change it at all. It gave us a shot at qualifying even with our mediocre start. So if it allows teams not having the best starting season a chance back in, it can't be too bad :']

Lutra: Astamatitos, summarise your long Pokémon history.

Astamatitos: Oh gosh! Let's see, as you know I've started playing competitively around 2006-2007 on NetBattle at the time where ADV was the main generation. I joined at a time where smogon tour 5 was more or less ongoing and spectating games of the most prominent players of their time during that season was a pretty eye-opening experience for me as a battler.
I'm pretty sure that ST5 was the last major event supported by Smogon in gens 1-3 and as such I feel like a significant proportion of people who started around my era missed out on these big events. Other than that, during my netbattle days I made administrator of Antiquity, one of the big three communities at the time. I'd like to think that I was a proponent in keeping the old gens alive during the period of 2008-2010 when support for gens 1-3 did not exist and the majority of the userbase migrated to gen 4-only simulator Shoddybattle. I finally took a hiatus in 2010 shortly prior to the first SPL in order to undertake my miltary service.
I feel that my current success in ADV is partly attributed to those years, where I remember constantly battling against a select pool of players that also stayed around NB. Outside Fear, Dekzeh and Taylor most of those friends are more or less retired. I do however long to have one final battle with Hey Oh, Darkestmoon, Majin and Marik.

Lutra: What are your main goals with Pokémon at the moment, Asta?

Astamatitos: My main objectives at the moment are SPL and WCoP. I find team tournaments much more engaging and much more hype than individual ones. Perhaps I don't have as much drive than what I used to! I'd like to back my first WCoP showing up as well as make up for a rather lackluster SPL performance (5-4) in the year coming. I am however, getting married next month, so these aspirations might be short lived!

Lutra: What ADV tournaments and other old gen tournaments would you like to see more of?

Astamatitos: I think the incentive for more live old gen tournaments is a good one and it is certainly an element that was missing up till now. Other than that for the period of September-February the scene was quite stale in the old gens owed to lack of main events. WLT was a good initiative in that regard as a means to patch that gap and would like to see its next iteration again during that time next year.

Lutra: Are there any promising new players who you think will surprise everyone with their success?

Astamatitos: Ever since my return in 2016, I've noticed that there's a ton of new talent and significantly more resources to help people get good. Notably the advent of replays and the "Ready-Team Free For All" attitude is helping people become competitive in the tier faster. It also pushes the metagame at a much faster pace as I often find myself forced to adapt to the current team-metagame which often sees a burst with every iteration of SPL and WCoP. I'd say there's a lot of people to look out for in ADV which are unknown to the mainstream tournament scene. Ibidem and Musicaltide are two noteworthy ones which I feel will take a lot of names down should they wish to start competing in tournaments.

Lutra: Finally Eden's Embrace, tell us how you got into Pokémon, ADV and Neon Genesis Evangelion :p

Eden's Embrace: Ah this one is a good story. I was around 11 or so when i first found out about smogon. I was looking for a way to be better at the battle frontier in emerald (this was 2006), so i searched around and found serebii but never knew they had forums... then i found out about smogon. I found the environment too elitist and mostly sticked to breeding 'til real life got in the way along with boarding school. I came back in 2014 and remembered how much I used to love browsing the forums. I heard about xy, found out about ps and started playing again thanks to ct chat on PS!

ADV is something i only recently picked up around last year. I was really meandering and wanted a tier to learn that was well fleshed out and relatively balanced, so i made an account and laddered in all of
rby/gsc/adv/dpp under eden's embrace. Within a few weeks, I found I was enjoying ADV the most. I met UD on one of those ladder runs, he talked and helped me a lot... then CZ, then further along asta, and eventually i got decent at it as well, so I stuck to it. I really do like it a lot :']

Neon Genesis I was suggested to watch by an IRL friend named Stephen. He said it was an old series that he loved a lot and I watched a few episodes and was dealing with some of my own issues, so I really sympathised with the main character in it. I love how it wasn't your standard cut and dry mecha and stuff... like End of Evangelion was a major game changer in terms of anime as a whole imo it had some amazing music, some violent dark brooding imagery... a very powerful show. I liked the rebuilds as well(waiting for Eva 4.0 :p) but the series(and the manga) are definitely the superior parts of the franchise. All of the characters have their own issues, complexes and hang ups, that make the show a really unique watch. It is a mecha anime.....but not really... best way to describe it. I think all of us can learn something from a show centred around growing up and coming to terms with adulthood and wanting to be accepted and loved, albeit it gets the message across sometimes in a brutal fashion.

Lutra: Great interviewing you both, good luck in your future tournaments!

Eden's Embrace: Thank you very much! Hoping to make a splash in WC. P.S. TSR watch end of eva soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)