Rotom-M [QC: 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]

Rotom-M is an Electric-type that can hit Ground-types with STAB Leaf Storm. Grass / Electric typing lets Rotom-M switch into defensive Water-type pokemon, such as Mantine, Milotic, and Slowbro, and threaten with either STAB. Levitate provides it with a Ground immunity, helping it maintain momentum with Volt Switch by providing free switch ins and Spikes immunity. Rotom-M, however, faces competition from other Electric-types like Rotom-H and Heliolisk, and even stiffer competition from other Grass-types like Shaymin and Roserade. While its above average Speed lets Rotom-M outspeed unboosted base 85s like Heracross, it leaves it slower than several of the tier's fastest threats, most notably Adamant Flygon. In a similar vein, average Special Attack means Rotom-M is forced to rely on Choice Specs to threaten bulky Pokemon. A limited movepool gives it few options against Grass and Dragon-types, and reliance on Leaf Storm for Grass STAB makes it setup bait.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Leaf Storm
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Flying
item: Choice Specs / Grassium Z
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Volt Switch is the main appeal of using Rotom-M, allowing it to maintain momentum while threatening out pokemon weak to its STABs. Thunderbolt is a stronger Electric STAB that doesn't force Rotom-M to switch out. Leaf Storm is Rotom-M's only Grass STAB, and allows it to hit Ground-types that try to block Volt Switch super effectively.It's also Rotom-M's strongest attack against neutral targets, although it has the nasty side effect of halving Rotom-M's Special Attack. Trick allows Rotom-M to cripple a wall it cannot break, like Florges or Snorlax. Hidden Power Flying hits other Grass-types, primarily Chesnaught. Hidden Power Ice also hits Grass-types, but also Dragon-types, like Flygon or Kommo-o. Will-O-Wisp can be used to dodge Sucker Punch from the likes of Honchkrow and burn physical attackers like Escavalier and Flygon.

Set Details
========

Max Speed is used to outspeed max speed Kommo-o and tie with other non-Choice Scarf Rotom forms, while max Special Attack is used to do as much damage as possible. Choice Specs is the recommended item to maximize power, which Rotom-m is lacking. It also allows it to use Trick to cripple bulky special walls. Alternatively, Grassium Z can be used to avoid having to guess between locking into Volt Switch or Leaf Storm. It lures ground types that think Rotom-M is locked into an Electric-type attack and then scores a KO with Bloom Doom. It also allows Rotom-M to use a strong Grass attack without dropping it's Special Attack and becoming setup bait. Levitate is a great ability for Rotom-M, allowing it to safely switch into defensive Ground types like Gligar and Rhyperior and avoid Spikes while pivoting around.

Usage Tips
========

Early game, click Volt Switch to preserve momentum and take advantage of switches that Rotom-M forces with its typing. Click Leaf Storm if you think your opponent will switch in an Electric-type immunity to absorb Volt Switch. Late game, if Electric resists are weakened, Rotom-M can clean up with Thunderbolt. If you have Grassium Z, be careful of wasting your Bloom Doom. Bluff being Choice locked to lure in your opponent's Electric-type resist, and use it to eliminate a weakened Gligar so that Rotom-M can spam Volt Switch freely.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that don't like Water-types appreciate Rotom-M's ability to switch into Water attacks and threaten them. Rock-type Pokemon like Gigalith and Diancie make excellent partners because they can switch into strong Fire-type attackers like Moltres and Salazzle. Defensive Water-type Pokemon like Slowbro and Milotic can beat Fire-types that threaten Rotom-M, and Rotom-M can switch into electric attacks targeting them. Offensive Water-types like Kingdra and Sharpedo also benefit from Rotom-M beating bulky waters and racking up damage on Water resists like Roserade and Kommo-o. Ice-type Pokemon like Mega Glalie and Sneasel can beat Dragon and Grass-types that wall Rotom-M and love the chance for a safe switch in from Volt Switch, since they are very frail. U-turn users like Flygon, Gligar, and Zoroark complete the VoltTurn core and help keep momentum. Frail attackers such as Swellow, Bruxish, and Sneasel like having a free switch in thanks to Volt Switch that they can use to continue to apply pressure.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can allow Rotom-M to revenge kill faster threats, but Rotom-M is generally not strong enough to revenge kill reliably and should focus on forcing switches with strong STABs. Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice set if you have another Z Crystal user, but the loss of a powerful Bloom Doom is not worth it otherwise.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Resist STABs. Shaymin and Roserade are especially bad because they don't mind being tricked a Scarf that much, have the bulk to live a super effective Hidden Power, and don't care about burns.

**Dragon-types**: Resist STABs. Goodra and Kommo-o are bulky enough that they can switch into Leaf Storm all day, and Flygon can setup on you if locked into Electric-type STAB.

**Rotom-Heat**: The toasty Rotom counterpart resists both STABS and can threaten to OHKO with Overheat.

**Ground-types** While they go down to Leaf Storm, they prevent Rotom-M from spamming volt switch and force it to use leaf storm.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Due to Rotom-M's average special attack, very bulky pokemon can often take on Rotom-M. Umbreon, Cresselia, and Registeel are examples of very bulky pokemon that can all live a hit from Rotom-M to scout it's move. However, they are vulnerable to being Tricked a Choice Scarf.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this is ready for QC now. I would like to address the sets since I'm sure it will come up, and just say that Spirit recommended that specs and grassium z be combined into one set. I have seen a few people say that they should be different sets, so I would like to get QC input.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
- Team options should be expanded by a lot. Mention Offensive Water-types like Kingdra and Sharpedo which can take on the fire-types and ice-types that Rotom-M hates and how they appreciate the volt switch support. Defensive bulky water-types deserve an important mention as well; mention Pokemon like Slowbro and Milotic.
- Mention U-turn users like Gligar and Flygon as well, to complete the volt-turn core.
- "Not so slow but not particularly fast". I think this can be phrased better. Mention the advantage of outspeed Pokemon like Heracross and Kommo-O but mention how it misses on key Pokemon like Adamant Flygon.
- Frail attackers like whom? Mention Pokemon like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, etc. Pokemon that appreciate the pivoting, add some fluff.
- IMO On Set Details it is worth mentioning examples of ground type Pokemon that it has an easier time switching into cause Nidoqueen isnt one of them. Mention Gligar and Rhyperior.

There is probably more but other QCers will get to it I believe. QC 1/3 once implemented.

teachable

Banned deucer.
Hey, just some stuff I noticed. Don't feel a need to change anything unless QC says so.
Overall pretty good, remove heracross/mantine mentions and re-add Nidoqueen ones. Some grammar stuff but I'm assuming you'll fix that before going into GP.

[OVERVIEW]
  • IDK If Heliolisk is worth a mention, you could probably get away with just mentioning Rotom-H here; I guess it kinda does the Specs set similarly but with a better speed tier. I'd like a second opinion on this. Grass-type mentions are good.
  • For Grass-types, mention Servine.
[Special Attacker]
  • I'd mention Dragalge along with the other Dragon-types listed here, as HP Ice is the best chip you'll be getting against it.
Set Details
========
  • Even though its mentioned in set details, probably still worth mentioning that you bluff a Choice item with Grassium in set details when mentioning luring.
  • HP Fire possibly worth a mention for Escav + Abomasnow.
Usage Tips
========
  • Pretty good, kinda self explanatory moveset and you covered everything.
Team Options
========
  • Mention levitate and how it allow Rotom-M to provide teams with an additional Ground immunity, probably after mentioning Rock-types as they're weak to Ground.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Z-Dream Eater for Dragalge, your hardest counter, and Nidoqueen?
Checks and Counters
===================
  • For Grass-types, mention Mega-aboma and how it is also trick-immune.
  • Dragon-types, mention Dragalge 4x resisting Grass and how it doesn't exactly mind getting passed Choice Specs due to Adaptability.
  • Fix Choice Scarf to Choice Specs under "Specially Bulky Pokemon"

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just some stuff I noticed. Don't feel a need to change anything unless QC says so.
Overall pretty good, remove heracross/mantine mentions and re-add Nidoqueen ones. Some grammar stuff but I'm assuming you'll fix that before going into GP.

[OVERVIEW]
  • IDK If Heliolisk is worth a mention, you could probably get away with just mentioning Rotom-H here; I guess it kinda does the Specs set similarly but with a better speed tier. I'd like a second opinion on this. Grass-type mentions are good.
  • For Grass-types, mention Servine.
[Special Attacker]
  • I'd mention Dragalge along with the other Dragon-types listed here, as HP Ice is the best chip you'll be getting against it.
Set Details
========
  • Even though its mentioned in set details, probably still worth mentioning that you bluff a Choice item with Grassium in set details when mentioning luring.
  • HP Fire possibly worth a mention for Escav + Abomasnow.
Usage Tips
========
  • Pretty good, kinda self explanatory moveset and you covered everything.
Team Options
========
  • Mention levitate and how it allow Rotom-M to provide teams with an additional Ground immunity, probably after mentioning Rock-types as they're weak to Ground.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Z-Dream Eater for Dragalge, your hardest counter, and Nidoqueen?
Checks and Counters
===================
  • For Grass-types, mention Mega-aboma and how it is also trick-immune.
  • Dragon-types, mention Dragalge 4x resisting Grass and how it doesn't exactly mind getting passed Choice Specs due to Adaptability.
  • Fix Choice Scarf to Choice Specs under "Specially Bulky Pokemon"
all of this but no z-dream eater

QC approved 3/3

teachable

Banned deucer.
When you get around to implementing this, I'd list Mega-Ampharos when you list Rotom-H in the Overview (or anywhere else where you mention mons it competes with).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)