VGC 17 Salazzle

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
<- the shiny you'll probably never get
QC: Jio / Carbonific
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

* Access to Fake Out enables Salazzle to disrupt opposing teams by threatening to immobilize threats to itself and its teammates for a turn.
* Its typing grants it a strong STAB combination that threatens a variety of common Pokemon, including Kartana, Celesteela, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini.
* At the same time, Salazzle is also threatened by a variety of common Pokemon, such as Garchomp, Alolan Marowak, Alolan Muk, and Araquanid.
* Its defenses leave much to be desired, making Salazzle highly dependent on Focus Sash in order to have any chance of taking a hit.
* Salazzle suffers from four-moveslot syndrome; it wishes it could run all of Fake Out, Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, Protect, Encore, and Taunt, but it can only pick four of them.
* Furthermore, Salazzle has to choose between two situational abilities; most of the time, it may as well not have an ability at all.
* It also faces competition as a Fake Out user; Alolan Raichu in Electric Terrain and Weavile are both faster users of Fake Out.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Protect / Encore / Taunt
item: Focus Sash
ability: Oblivious
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Fake Out enables Salazzle to immobilize a foe on the first turn that it's out, enabling it to stop a threat to its teammate for that turn.
* Flamethrower is Salazzle's preferred Fire-type STAB move, having perfect accuracy while OHKOing Kartana and 2HKOing Celesteela.
* Sludge Bomb allows Salazzle to hit Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini super effectively while hitting Tapu Bulu harder than Flamethrower.
* Protect allows Salazzle to shield itself while its teammate handles a threat like Alolan Marowak that Salazzle can't handle and also allows it to shield itself from an ally's Earthquake.
* Encore expands on Salazzle's disruption capabilities, allowing it to lock an opponent into a status move like Substitute or Protect, allowing Salazzle and its teammates to ignore that Pokemon and instead focus on another one for a few turns.
* Taunt allows Salazzle to prevent Pokemon like Porygon2 and Mandibuzz from using Trick Room or Tailwind while also preventing these Pokemon from using their recovery moves.

Set Details
========

* A simple spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is fine for Salazzle, as it won't be taking very many hits anyway.
* A Timid nature is essential, as this allows Salazzle to outspeed Kartana and Alolan Ninetales.
* Focus Sash allows Salazzle to take any attack from full health, which is helpful given that its paper-thin defenses don't allow it to take very many attacks. Furthermore, the Focus Sash enables it to actually threaten Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini with Sludge Bomb.
* On Salazzle, Oblivious is a situational ability at best. However, it gets the nod over Corrosion thanks to protecting Salazzle from Taunt, thus ensuring that it can always use any of its status moves no matter what. On the other hand, Corrosion only enables Sludge Bomb to poison opposing Poison-types, but Salazzle has no business staying in on Alolan Muk or Nihilego to begin with.

Usage Tips
========

* Unless Tapu Lele shows up in Team Preview, Salazzle is generally a pretty easy pick for a lead, allowing it to immediately exert Fake Out pressure.
* Leading Salazzle with a Tailwind setter like Mandibuzz helps to maintain momentum; for example, Salazzle can use Fake Out against a threat like Tapu Koko while Mandibuzz sets up Tailwind to allow Salazzle to then outspeed and OHKO Tapu Koko.
* Try to conserve Salazzle for as long as possible by switching it out, even if it has been brought down to its Focus Sash. Even a 1 HP Salazzle can still come in handy for the Fake Out pressure.
* Unless you need to bring Salazzle in order to beat a threat like Kartana, it's generally not recommended to bring it against a team that has Gigalith, seeing as Gigalith's Sand Stream ability will break Salazzle's Focus Sash and it resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves.

Team Options
========

* Fast, offensive Pokemon like Pheromosa and Kartana appreciate Salazzle's ability to create free turns with Fake Out and Encore, as it protects them from OHKOs while they handle the foe that has not been immobilized. Furthermore, Pheromosa can handle Garchomp with Ice Beam, while Kartana easily manages Gigalith and Nihilego.
* Given that Salazzle cannot touch Pokemon like Gigalith, Nihilego, and Alolan Marowak, Ground-type Pokemon like Garchomp and Krookodile make for good teammates. Since their Earthquake will also target Salazzle, it is almost essential to run Groundium Z on whichever one of Garchomp or Krookodile you pick.
* If your team does not have any more room for Z-Move users, Mudsdale makes for a good teammate to handle the aforementioned Ground-weak threats, as it can target them with High Horsepower, which does not have the downside of also hitting Salazzle.
* As Ground-types like Garchomp and Mudsdale prove to be problematic for Salazzle, it's a good idea to consider running a Water-type like Tapu Fini or Gyarados alongside it.
* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini make for strong teammates for Salazzle, as they can remove Psychic Terrain from the field.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Toxic, when used with Salazzle's Corrosion ability, enables it to poison Poison- and Steel-type Pokemon. However, Salazzle has no problems handling the latter as is, meaning this option is only really useful for inflicting Alolan Muk with the badly poisoned status in order to put a timer on it if its teammates struggle against it.
* Disable allows Salazzle to temporarily block a foe from using a move like Protect or a move like Earthquake that threatens to OHKO it.
* Hidden Power Ice gives Salazzle an option to deal super effective damage to Garchomp, which otherwise fears nothing Salazzle can throw at it.
* Air Balloon allows Salazzle to dodge Earthquakes, either from its enemies or its teammates, but a frail Pokemon like it would much rather have Focus Sash.
* Life Orb improves Salazzle's damage output; for example, it makes Sludge Bomb a guaranteed OHKO against non-bulky variants of Tapu Lele.
* Overheat gives Salazzle a stronger Fire-type attack, having a chance to OHKO Celesteela without a Life Orb and always OHKOing it with a Life Orb.
* Poisonium Z allows Salazzle to use Acid Downpour, which picks up OHKOs on Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type Pokemon**: Garchomp resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves and, thanks to Rough Skin, will break Salazzle's Focus Sash should Fake Out hit it, allowing it to OHKO it with Earthquake. Mudsdale can take Salazzle's Flamethrower and easily OHKO it with High Horsepower once its Focus Sash has been broken, while using Fake Out on Mudsdale is not recommended due to Stamina giving it a Defense boost.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Water-type Pokemon like Gyarados, Araquanid, Gastrodon, and Milotic can take any of Salazzle's attacks and threaten it with their Water-type STAB moves. Tapu Fini can take one Sludge Bomb from Salazzle and threaten it with its Water-type STAB moves.

**Rock-type Pokemon**: Rock-type Pokemon resist both of Salazzle's STAB moves and boast super effective STAB of their own. Nihilego can take any attack from Salazzle and readily retaliate with Power Gem, although Salazzle is still capable of breaking a potential Focus Sash with Fake Out. Gigalith also takes any of Salazzle's attacks and OHKOes it with any Rock-type STAB move, with its Sand Stream ability setting a sandstorm that both boosts its Special Defense and breaks Salazzle's Focus Sash.

**Alolan Marowak**: Alolan Marowak resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves and boasts an immunity to Fake Out, allowing it to take anything from Salazzle and OHKO with Bonemerang through Focus Sash.

**Alolan Muk**: Although Alolan Muk only resists Sludge Bomb from Salazzle, its high Special Defense in combination with Gluttony and Figy Berry means Salazzle does not threaten it, only being able to fish for a burn with Flamethrower.

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele itself is not an answer to Salazzle thanks to its lower Speed and its weakness to Sludge Bomb, but its Psychic Surge ability will set up Psychic Terrain, which prevents Salazzle from using Fake Out against any grounded Pokemon.

**Trick Room**: Salazzle's high Speed stat means it is likely to be moving last during Trick Room, which it does not want given its poor defenses. However, Salazzle is not totally useless during Trick Room, as it can still use Fake Out to immobilize a foe.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC-ready. Probably gonna regret staying up all night to get this ready, seeing as I'm driving to Phoenix pretty soon...

Expand OO imo:

- Life Orb deserves mention, its no doubt 2nd best item for Salazzle and should be primary option if you dont want to have Sash for some reason. It kinda "fixes" Salazzle's not THAT high Spa (due to the fact it has to run Timid). With LO, for example, Salazzle OHKOs (atleast non-nulky) Lele with Sludge Bomb, deals heavy damage to Celesteela and does quite alot to Garchomp with HP Ice.
- Poisonium-Z is 2nd most common item. With Acid Downpour Sludge Bomb Salazzle can OHKO Lele and Fini, which is something to consider.
- Overheat is one time nuke which works well on such frail mon, Overheat + Life Orb OHKOs Celesteela
- Will O Wisp is option there to inflict burn. Its good to mention because Salazzle is fastest non-prankster burn inflicter in the meta, though burn is not as good anymore and possibly wastes precious little amount of turns Salazzle has.
- Poison Gas is bad. However, since newbies might think its good idea to have spread move that can any two of opposing mons, it probably should be mentioned its bad and why it shouldnt be used, just to let those know.

Also, this is my opinion but Corrosion should be slashed with Oblivious. Taunting Salazzle is completely useless. Anything with Taunt that is faster than Salazzle (Weavile, Tapu Koko, Whimsicott) is severely threatened by Salazzle offensively and im p sure they rather want to get rid of it instead of preventing one of its "potential" support moves that it might not even have. And Salazzle wont really give a shit if it gets taunted because its other moves are most likely offensive moves anyways, and the mon wont live for long. Corrosion without Toxic or Poison gas is obviously pretty useless too, but as last emergency effort against Nihilego or Muk, Salazzle could try to poison hax them with Sludge Bomb before they kill Salazzle, if Salazzle doesnt have any other options than attacking Muk/Nihilego or if you predict their partner to protect. And no one with some brain action obviously never should use moves like Attract so yea in that regard, Oblivious is there to prevent Taunt

Now reason why Corrosion should be slashed (and be primary slash too) is quite stupid but simple: its much easier to get Corrosion Salazzle. Yeah, thats really, really stupid reason, but it should be priority now that both abilites are p much so useless they might as well not exist. Oblivious is HA so it might take some time to catch one. Wasting likely atleast half an hour of your life to get ability that does never anything anyways sounds silly when you already have option to get quicker one with other, still useless ability. Again, a newbie reading analysis could think that Oblivious is must have ability if you dont explain this, so he might waste his time to get another useless ability instead of... useless ability.

Just slash them and mention that both of them are pretty much useless. I mean, look at Salazzle usage stats: 4/5 of them has Corrosion, even though Toxic is not even top 10 most used moves on Salazzle and has less than 5% usage. So yea, slash them because Oblivious is equally useless as Corrosion (without Toxic). Toxic should stay OO, though.

TL;DR: No one should really taunt Salazzle, Salazzle doesnt even care that much if it gets taunted, both abilities are useless but Oblivious is harder to get so they should be slashed together, with Corrosion being main slash.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Expand OO imo:

- Life Orb deserves mention, its no doubt 2nd best item for Salazzle and should be primary option if you dont want to have Sash for some reason. It kinda "fixes" Salazzle's not THAT high Spa (due to the fact it has to run Timid). With LO, for example, Salazzle OHKOs (atleast non-nulky) Lele with Sludge Bomb, deals heavy damage to Celesteela and does quite alot to Garchomp with HP Ice.
- Poisonium-Z is 2nd most common item. With Acid Downpour Sludge Bomb Salazzle can OHKO Lele and Fini, which is something to consider.
- Overheat is one time nuke which works well on such frail mon, Overheat + Life Orb OHKOs Celesteela
- Will O Wisp is option there to inflict burn. Its good to mention because Salazzle is fastest non-prankster burn inflicter in the meta, though burn is not as good anymore and possibly wastes precious little amount of turns Salazzle has.
- Poison Gas is bad. However, since newbies might think its good idea to have spread move that can any two of opposing mons, it probably should be mentioned its bad and why it shouldnt be used, just to let those know.

Also, this is my opinion but Corrosion should be slashed with Oblivious. Taunting Salazzle is completely useless. Anything with Taunt that is faster than Salazzle (Weavile, Tapu Koko, Whimsicott) is severely threatened by Salazzle offensively and im p sure they rather want to get rid of it instead of preventing one of its "potential" support moves that it might not even have. And Salazzle wont really give a shit if it gets taunted because its other moves are most likely offensive moves anyways, and the mon wont live for long. Corrosion without Toxic or Poison gas is obviously pretty useless too, but as last emergency effort against Nihilego or Muk, Salazzle could try to poison hax them with Sludge Bomb before they kill Salazzle, if Salazzle doesnt have any other options than attacking Muk/Nihilego or if you predict their partner to protect. And no one with some brain action obviously never should use moves like Attract so yea in that regard, Oblivious is there to prevent Taunt

Now reason why Corrosion should be slashed (and be primary slash too) is quite stupid but simple: its much easier to get Corrosion Salazzle. Yeah, thats really, really stupid reason, but it should be priority now that both abilites are p much so useless they might as well not exist. Oblivious is HA so it might take some time to catch one. Wasting likely atleast half an hour of your life to get ability that does never anything anyways sounds silly when you already have option to get quicker one with other, still useless ability. Again, a newbie reading analysis could think that Oblivious is must have ability if you dont explain this, so he might waste his time to get another useless ability instead of... useless ability.

Just slash them and mention that both of them are pretty much useless. I mean, look at Salazzle usage stats: 4/5 of them has Corrosion, even though Toxic is not even top 10 most used moves on Salazzle and has less than 5% usage. So yea, slash them because Oblivious is equally useless as Corrosion (without Toxic). Toxic should stay OO, though.

TL;DR: No one should really taunt Salazzle, Salazzle doesnt even care that much if it gets taunted, both abilities are useless but Oblivious is harder to get so they should be slashed together, with Corrosion being main slash.
I'm currently in Phoenix (approx. 350 miles away from my computer) and so can't do a full response right now, but I just want to say that I'm not really buying the argument of Corrosion allowing Sludge Bomb to poison Muk and Nihilego. On the former, if I have to keep Salazzle in on Muk for some reason, I'm not clicking Sludge Bomb, I'm clicking Flamethrower (which will actually do decent-ish damage and could potentially burn, which will cripple Muk more than regular poison would). On Nihilego, any physical attack will bop it anyway, and even if you're in a situation where you're out of physical attackers, Salazzle isn't really gonna get an opportunity to fish for poison on Nihilego (Power Gem). Meanwhile, I could think of a few scenarios in which one may want to Taunt a non-Oblivious Salazzle.

Also, I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to be factoring in how difficult something is to obtain. If we were, certain region-exclusive events / Pokemon XD moves would never have been included in past-gen VGC analyses. I'm just following what I'm pretty sure is standard operating procedure for analyses (i.e. When all of a mon's abilities are bad, give it the least bad one)

EDIT: I have time for a full response now, and as for your ideas for OO additions, I just wanna say that there is no reason for Poison Gas to be added. The only thing it has going for it is targeting both opponents.... With regular poison, which is a pretty mediocre status. Last I checked, things that are that terrible shouldn't even be mentioned in OO. However, LO, Poisonium Z and Overheat seem to have some reason to be used, but I'll wait to see what QC thinks.

To expand on Corrosion vs. Oblivious a little more, Salazzle really does not have the capacity to just keep clicking Sludge Bomb hoping for a regular poison on something (again, mediocre status). Porygon2 can sit there spamming Ice Beam hoping for a freeze because it's so bulky, which is not the case with Salazzle. At an MSS in Phoenix, I had Salazzle start clicking Sludge Bomb against an Alolan Marowak in two separate games. I wasn't even trying to poison it (Misty Terrain was active), I was instead trying to get Marowak into KO range for Kartana's Night Slash. Marowak KOed Salazzle very quickly, naturally, but even if I were able to poison it at the time, odds are I would not have been able to get it before getting KOed. Of course, Marowak has Bonemerang to just bypass Salazzle's Focus Sash entirely, but it's going to be a very similar case against Nihilego (which Sludge Bomb does negligible damage to while Power Gem just knocks out Salazzle) and Muk (maybe you can get three Sludge Bombs off against it, but even if one of them poisons it, Muk is still hanging around for a while thanks to Gluttony Figy).

Meanwhile, here are just a few plausible scenarios in which one may want to Taunt a non-Oblivious Salazzle:

• Opponent has Whimsicott and Gyarados against Salazzle and Garchomp. Gyarados has used Protect on the turn before, and Salazzle has Encore. Whimsicott likely feels pretty threatened by Salazzle, but figures it can use Taunt on Salazzle, seeing that Gyarados has a pretty good chance for setup here, but Salazzle can Encore Gyarados into Protect to stop that.
  • Opponent has Porygon2 and Tapu Koko against Salazzle and Kartana. Both Tapu Koko and Salazzle have Taunt. Porygon2 wants to set up Trick Room for two Pokemon in the back, let's say, for example, Araquanid and Celesteela. Koko knows that Salazzle almost certainly carries a Focus Sash, meaning going to KO it is not an option. However, if it can Taunt Salazzle, it can stop Salazzle from Taunting P2 to stop the Trick Room setup.
  • Opponent has Mandibuzz and Tapu Fini against Salazzle and Alolan Marowak. Salazzle has Protect, and the opponent has Choice Scarf Garchomp in the back. Tapu Fini is in Sludge Bomb KO range, and so doesn't want to stay in on Salazzle. Alolan Marowak won't want to eat a Foul Play from Mandibuzz and so also will probably switch out. If Salazzle doesn't have Oblivious, Mandibuzz can Taunt Salazzle in an effort to stop it from Protecting against the ScarfChomp Earthquake.
Yeah that last one is especially a stretch, but I'd take it over the ability to inflict Muk with a status so mediocre it's probably going to be inconsequential, or inflict Nihilego with a status that won't make a difference given that it would just get bopped by any physical attack anyway.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree Oblivious > Corrosion.

I would slash it only because of the scenario of a Nilehgio or Muk switching in on your predicted Sludge Bomb (unlike Steel-types it's not a big deal if they switch into Flamethrower). But it's rare. And the scenarios that Silver Alli mentioned are more likely to change the outcome of the battle than a Poison against those Pokemon in said scenario.

Overview
  • Mention Salazzle's competition as a Fake Out user; it's not even the fastest thanks to Weavile.
Usage Tips
  • You state that Salazzle makes a good lead, but note some partners that enjoy a lead Fake Out.
    • For example, pairing it alongside a Tailwind setter helps maintain momentum.
Team Options
  • Include a mention of Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini to keep Psychic Terrain off the field.
Other Options
  • Add Overheat, Poisonium Z, and Life Orb.

2/2 QC

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Mention Salazzle's competition as a Fake Out user; it's not even the fastest thanks to Weavile.
Usage Tips
  • You state that Salazzle makes a good lead, but note some partners that enjoy a lead Fake Out.
    • For example, pairing it alongside a Tailwind setter helps maintain momentum.
Team Options
  • Include a mention of Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini to keep Psychic Terrain off the field.
Other Options
  • Add Overheat, Poisonium Z, and Life Orb.

2/2 QC
Implemented. Thanks for the check!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* Access to Fake Out enables Salazzle to disrupt opposing teams by threatening to immobilize threats to itself and its teammates for a turn.
* Its typing grants it a strong STAB combination which that threatens a variety of common metagame Pokemon, including Kartana, Celesteela, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini.
* At the same time, Salazzle is also threatened by a variety of common Pokemon, such as Garchomp, Alolan Marowak, Alolan Muk, and Araquanid.
* Its defenses leave much to be desired, making Salazzle highly dependent on Focus Sash in order to have any chance of taking a hit.
* Salazzle suffers from four-moveslot (AH) syndrome; it wishes it could run all of Fake Out, Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, Protect, Encore, and Taunt, but it can only pick four of them.
* Furthermore, Salazzle has to choose between two situational abilities; most of the time, it may as well not have an ability at all.
* It also faces competition as a Fake Out user; Alolan Raichu in Electric Terrain and Weavile are both faster users of Fake Out.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Fake Out enables Salazzle to immobilize an opponent foe on the first turn that it's out, enabling it to stop a threat to its teammate for that turn.
* Flamethrower is Salazzle's preferred Fire-type STAB move, having perfect accuracy while OHKOing Kartana and 2HKOing Celesteela.
* Sludge Bomb allows Salazzle to hit Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini super effectively (RC) while hitting Tapu Bulu harder than Flamethrower.
* Protect allows Salazzle to shield itself while its teammate handles a threat like Alolan Marowak which that Salazzle can't handle (RC) and also allows it to shield itself from an ally's Earthquake.
* Encore expands on Salazzle's disruption capabilities, allowing it to lock an opponent into a status move like Substitute or Protect, allowing Salazzle and its teammates to ignore that Pokemon and instead focus on another one for a few turns.
* Taunt allows Salazzle to prevent Pokemon like Porygon2 and Mandibuzz from using Trick Room or Tailwind, respectively, while also preventing these Pokemon from using their recovery moves.

Set Details
========

* A simple spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is fine for Salazzle, (AC) as it won't be taking very many hits anyway.
* A Timid nature is essential, as this allows Salazzle to outspeed Kartana and Alolan Ninetales.
* Focus Sash allows Salazzle to take any attack from full health, which is helpful given that its paper-thin defenses don't allow for it to take very many attacks without it. Furthermore, the Focus Sash enables it to actually threaten Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini with Sludge Bomb.
* On Salazzle, Oblivious is a situational ability at best. However, it gets the nod over Corrosion thanks to protecting Salazzle from Taunt, thus ensuring that it can always use any of its status moves no matter what. On the other hand, Corrosion only enables Sludge Bomb to poison opposing Poison-types, but Salazzle has no business staying in on Alolan Muk or Nihilego to begin with.

Usage Tips
========

* Unless Tapu Lele shows up in Team Preview, Salazzle is generally a pretty easy pick for a lead, allowing it to immediately exert Fake Out pressure.
* Leading Salazzle with a Tailwind setter like Mandibuzz helps to maintain momentum; for example, Salazzle can use Fake Out against a threat like Tapu Koko while Mandibuzz sets up Tailwind to allow Salazzle to then outspeed and OHKO Tapu Koko.
* Try to conserve Salazzle for as long as possible by switching it out, even if it has been brought down to its Focus Sash. Even a 1 HP Salazzle can still come in handy for the Fake Out pressure.
* Unless you need to bring Salazzle in order to beat a threat like Kartana, it's generally not recommended to bring it against a team that has Gigalith, seeing as Gigalith's Sand Stream ability will break Salazzle's Focus Sash and it resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves.

Team Options
========

* Fast, offensive Pokemon like Pheromosa and Kartana appreciate Salazzle's ability to create free turns with Fake Out and Encore, as it protects them from OHKOs while they handle the foe that has not been immobilized. Furthermore, Pheromosa can handle Garchomp with Ice Beam, while Kartana easily manages Gigalith and Nihilego.
* Given that Salazzle cannot touch Pokemon like Gigalith, Nihilego, and Alolan Marowak, Ground-type Pokemon like Garchomp and Krookodile make for good teammates. Since their Earthquake will also target Salazzle, it is almost essential to run Groundium Z on whichever one of Garchomp or Krookodile you pick.
* If your team does not have any more room for Z-Move users, Mudsdale makes for a good teammate to handle the aforementioned Ground-weak threats, (AC) as it can target them with High Horsepower, which does not have the downside of also hitting Salazzle.
* As Ground-types like Garchomp and Mudsdale prove to be problematic for Salazzle, it's a good idea to consider running a Water-type like Tapu Fini or Gyarados alongside it.
* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini make for strong teammates for Salazzle, (AC) as they can change the terrain, removing remove Psychic Terrain from the field.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Toxic, when used with Salazzle's Corrosion ability, enables it to poison Poison- and Steel-type Pokemon. However, Salazzle has no problems handling the latter as is, meaning this option is only really useful for inflicting Alolan Muk with the badly poisoned status in order to put a timer on it if its teammates struggle against it.
* Disable allows Salazzle to temporarily block an opponent foe from using a move like Protect or a move like Earthquake which that threatens to OHKO it.
* Hidden Power Ice gives Salazzle an option to deal super effective damage to Garchomp, who which otherwise fears nothing Salazzle can throw at it.
* Air Balloon allows Salazzle to dodge Earthquakes, either from its opponents enemies or its teammates, but a frail Pokemon like it would much rather have Focus Sash.
* Life Orb improves Salazzle's damage output; for example, it makes Sludge Bomb a guaranteed OHKO against non-bulky variants of Tapu Lele.
* Overheat gives Salazzle a stronger Fire-type attack, having a chance to OHKO Celesteela without a Life Orb and always OHKOing it with a Life Orb.
* Poisonium Z allows Salazzle to use Acid Downpour, which picks up OHKOs on Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type Pokemon**: Garchomp resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves and, thanks to Rough Skin, will break Salazzle's Focus Sash should Fake Out hit it, allowing it to OHKO it with Earthquake. Mudsdale can take Salazzle's Flamethrower and easily OHKO it with High Horsepower once its Focus Sash has been broken, while using Fake Out on Mudsdale is not recommended due to Stamina giving it a Defense boost.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Water-type Pokemon like Gyarados, Araquanid, Gastrodon, and Milotic can take any of Salazzle's attacks and threaten it with their Water-type STAB moves. Tapu Fini can take one Sludge Bomb from Salazzle and threaten it with its Water-type STAB moves.

**Rock-type Pokemon**: Rock-type Pokemon resist both of Salazzle's STAB moves and boast super effective STAB of their own. Nihilego can take any attack from Salazzle and readily retaliate with Power Gem, although Salazzle is still capable of breaking a potential Focus Sash with Fake Out. Gigalith also takes any of Salazzle's attacks and OHKOes it with any Rock-type STAB move, with its Sand Stream ability setting a sandstorm that both boosts its Special Defense and breaks Salazzle's Focus Sash.

**Alolan Marowak**: Alolan Marowak resists both of Salazzle's STAB moves and boasts an immunity to Fake Out, allowing it to take anything from Salazzle and OHKO with Bonemerang through Focus Sash.

**Alolan Muk**: Although Alolan Muk only resists Sludge Bomb from Salazzle, its high Special Defense in combination with Gluttony and Figy Berry means Salazzle does not threaten it, only being able to fish for a burn with Flamethrower.

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele itself is not an answer to Salazzle thanks to being slower than it its lower Speed and its weakness to Sludge Bomb, but its Psychic Surge ability will set up Psychic Terrain, which prevents Salazzle from using Fake Out against any grounded Pokemon.

**Trick Room**: Salazzle's high Speed stat means it is likely to be moving last during Trick Room, which it does not want given its poor defenses. However, Salazzle is not totally useless during Trick Room, as it can still use Fake Out to immobilize an opponent foe.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* Its typing grants it a strong STAB combination which that threatens a variety of common metagame Pokemon, including Kartana, Celesteela, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini.
* Salazzle suffers from four-moveslot (AH) syndrome; it wishes it could run all of Fake Out, Flamethrower, Sludge Bomb, Protect, Encore, and Taunt, but it can only pick four of them.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Fake Out enables Salazzle to immobilize an opponent foe on the first turn that it's out, enabling it to stop a threat to its teammate for that turn.
* Sludge Bomb allows Salazzle to hit Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini super effectively (RC) while hitting Tapu Bulu harder than Flamethrower.
* Protect allows Salazzle to shield itself while its teammate handles a threat like Alolan Marowak which that Salazzle can't handle (RC) and also allows it to shield itself from an ally's Earthquake.
* Taunt allows Salazzle to prevent Pokemon like Porygon2 and Mandibuzz from using Trick Room or Tailwind, respectively, while also preventing these Pokemon from using their recovery moves.

Set Details
========

* A simple spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is fine for Salazzle, (AC) as it won't be taking very many hits anyway.
* Focus Sash allows Salazzle to take any attack from full health, which is helpful given that its paper-thin defenses don't allow for it to take very many attacks without it. Furthermore, the Focus Sash enables it to actually threaten Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Fini with Sludge Bomb.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

* If your team does not have any more room for Z-Move users, Mudsdale makes for a good teammate to handle the aforementioned Ground-weak threats, (AC) as it can target them with High Horsepower, which does not have the downside of also hitting Salazzle.
* Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini make for strong teammates for Salazzle, (AC) as they can change the terrain, removing remove Psychic Terrain from the field.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Disable allows Salazzle to temporarily block an opponent foe from using a move like Protect or a move like Earthquake which that threatens to OHKO it.
* Hidden Power Ice gives Salazzle an option to deal super effective damage to Garchomp, who which otherwise fears nothing Salazzle can throw at it.
* Air Balloon allows Salazzle to dodge Earthquakes, either from its opponents enemies or its teammates, but a frail Pokemon like it would much rather have Focus Sash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele itself is not an answer to Salazzle thanks to being slower than it its lower Speed and its weakness to Sludge Bomb, but its Psychic Surge ability will set up Psychic Terrain, which prevents Salazzle from using Fake Out against any grounded Pokemon.

**Trick Room**: Salazzle's high Speed stat means it is likely to be moving last during Trick Room, which it does not want given its poor defenses. However, Salazzle is not totally useless during Trick Room, as it can still use Fake Out to immobilize an opponent foe.
Implemented this check. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)