Monotype Scarf Toxicroak Offence (Fighting)

Hello all! My name is Hammerhead96, and here's a team that I came up with recently that has been really fun playing with. I decided to go against the current meta with fairies running amok and go with a fighting type team anyway, and I managed to create a team that can still deal with fairies fairly well. I now present to you, my scarf toxicroak offensive team!

The team:

Gallade-mega@ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast -> Inner Focus
Evs: 252 atk/4 spdef/ 252 spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
I almost always start by looking for a mega to go with my team, and this was no exception. With the recent release of Galladite, I hadn't had the opportunity to try it out yet and wanted to give it a go. Mega gallade serves as my main wall breaker, as well as a fast revenge killer to deal with some of the faster threats to the team. Swords dance is obviously for set up sweeping on predicted switches or tanks. Psycho Cut was the main psychic stab of choice because zen headbutt misses aren't cool. Close Combat is the obvious fighting stab of choice, and shadow sneak is for revenge killing. This is why I chose mega Gallade.

Toxicroak@choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Evs: 252 atk/ 4 spdef/ 252 spe
Jolly nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch/Knock Off
- Ice Punch
This Pokemon is surprisingly good. No one really cares to think about using this mon as a scarfer usually, so no one suspects it, which is why it works. After the scarf boost, this mon can literally sweep most fairy teams with gunk shot, outspeeding even tapu koko and ohkoing it. It also happens to be my only response to azumarill, as with dry skin it can't touch it with aqua jet before being ohkoed by gunk shot. Other than that, Drain punch is the main fighting stab of choice, sucker punch/knock off is for ghost and psychic coverage, but each have their own perks. Sucker punch helps beat usually scarfed mons like gengar or latios, whereas knock off can help you beat tankier mons more reliably. Ice punch really comes in handy vs the flying and dragon matchups. I really cannot count how many times I've come through against fairy teams with this mon, and I would like to hear some opinions on this set!

Keldeo-resolute@ choice scarf
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 spatk/4 spdef/252 spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric
Honestly this mon is borderline broken. I had chosen it because of the fact that I needed some form of special attacks on the team, and scarf seemed like the logical set. I had tried specs before, but I found more often than not it wouldn't be fast enough to make it count, so I went with a double scarf core instead. I know this set isn't the best, but that's partially why I'm here: to get feedback. So I would definitely like some suggestions on what to do here. I'd still like to keep keldeo if possible though.

Conkeldurr@Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Evs: 248 hp/252 atk/ 8 def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach punch
- Poison Jab
- Ice punch

Ahh, conkeldurr, what could I even say to describe the sheer power that is conkeldurr? This mon is a very prominent threat to most teams, just by existing, and the fact that it gets guts, sheer force & iron fist as its choice of abilities is just astounding. I personally love using the guts set, and with as much as it has, it really appreciates having drain punch. Mach punch is for finishing off low healthed opponents for revenge killing or just finishing something that it had already hurt, poison jab is for fairies, and Ice punch is obviously for flying and dragon types. This is why I chose it as my secondary physical wall breaker.

Scrafty@Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Evs: 248 hp/ 8 def/ 252 spdef
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
I realised that MAYBE I needed some bulk on the team. I had originally put caballion in this spot instead, as a steath rocker and a pivot, but I noticed that I was still very considerably weak to psychic without an immunity, so I went with scrafty instead. As an assault vested set, it can take out opposing special fighting hits very well, and can at least knock something off and force it out with either dragon tail or walling it and just purely out damaging it. I needed a dark type to help against psychics, but I've noticed it was very weak in the damage department, so I would like some feedback on whether or not you think this set works well.

Kommo-o @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Clanging Scales
- Autotomize/ Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
and finally I decided to go with kommo-o. A pretty unorthodox pokemon, but a threat in its own right. As a special attacker, It can work well to synergise with the team, providing more support on the special side. Flamethrower I have found to be a VERY important move to have for Kommo-o to have to help deal with grass, bug and even steel, as focus blast isn't nearly as reliable, and doesn't kill steel/bug or steel/flying types as reliably. Clanging scales is my dragon stab of choice, so I don't wear out my stats as I try to punch holes. Now the choice between autotmize and flash cannon is hard one. On one hand, autotomize can help you outspeed threats and deal with them, or even allow a small sweep, whereas on the other hand, Flash cannon is an amazing coverage move for fairies. As unreliable as focus blast is, it just seriously get enough damage out without it, plus I don't think it gets any other special fighting type move anyway.

So there you have it, my scarf toxicroak team! I'm aware this team is very much in the position of a niche, but I still love it anyway, and I'm looking forward to anything anyone wants to say about it. Whether its criticism or appraisal. Please don't be afraid to tell me what you think!

Thanks for reading!

I know I don't have much, but that's cause I forgot to save more replays. This will probably be updated later with some more. Probably with some fairy replays.
Vs Flying -
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-619463548

Hello! The idea of Scarf Toxicroak on Fighting is a decent one, and when paired with Scarf Keldeo, it does do rather well in the Fairy matchup. However, there are some things that I think can be improved:

>

Terrakion is without a doubt an essential asset to Fighting teams, and looking at your team, Conkeldurr seems to be one of the most replaceable due to its awful Speed tier and no secondary STAB to make use of. Since you already have 2 Scarfers, the Terrakion would be best suited with a Double Dance set in order to further improve the Flying and Electric matchups:

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

>

Fighting teams definitely need a Stealth Rocker, and Cobalion does this role best thanks to its solid defensive typing and great utility. Scrafty unfortunately doesn't get very far in the Psychic matchup due to Psychic teams commonly carrying Mega Gallade and Mega Gardevoir, which can very easily remove Scrafty, especially if it isn't carrying any setup moves. For a Cobalion set, you can try this:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Volt Switch

Icy Wind > Hidden Power Electric on Keldeo: Without Choice Specs, Keldeo fails to do good damage against bulky Water types like Mantine and Slowbro with Hidden Power Electric, whereas Icy Wind can allow it to hit Dragonite, Scarf Garchomp, and +1 Salamence.

Choice Specs > Focus Sash on Kommo-o: Since Keldeo is filling a Choice Scarf role, your team could definitely use a strong special wallbreaker. Specs on Kommo-o allows it to 2HKO Mega Sableye, which is very important for Fighting teams:

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut on Mega Gallade: In the replay you posted against Flying, Psycho Cut only had a small chance of KOing Mega Charizard Y from 64%, whereas Zen Headbutt would always KO it from that range:

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 193-228 (64.9 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zen Headbutt's extra power alongside its nice flinch chance is more than worth the 90% accuracy.

Here's the rest of the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Hello! The idea of Scarf Toxicroak on Fighting is a decent one, and when paired with Scarf Keldeo, it does do rather well in the Fairy matchup. However, there are some things that I think can be improved:

>

Terrakion is without a doubt an essential asset to Fighting teams, and looking at your team, Conkeldurr seems to be one of the most replaceable due to its awful Speed tier and no secondary STAB to make use of. Since you already have 2 Scarfers, the Terrakion would be best suited with a Double Dance set in order to further improve the Flying and Electric matchups:

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

>

Fighting teams definitely need a Stealth Rocker, and Cobalion does this role best thanks to its solid defensive typing and great utility. Scrafty unfortunately doesn't get very far in the Psychic matchup due to Psychic teams commonly carrying Mega Gallade and Mega Gardevoir, which can very easily remove Scrafty, especially if it isn't carrying any setup moves. For a Cobalion set, you can try this:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Icy Wind > Hidden Power Electric on Keldeo: Without Choice Specs, Keldeo fails to do good damage against bulky Water types like Mantine and Slowbro with Hidden Power Electric, whereas Icy Wind can allow it to hit Dragonite, Scarf Garchomp, and +1 Salamence.

Choice Specs > Focus Sash on Kommo-o: Since Keldeo is filling a Choice Scarf role, your team could definitely use a strong special wallbreaker. Specs on Kommo-o allows it to 2HKO Mega Sableye, which is very important for Fighting teams:

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut on Mega Gallade: In the replay you posted against Flying, Psycho Cut only had a small chance of KOing Mega Charizard Y from 64%, whereas Zen Headbutt would always KO it from that range:

252 Atk Gallade-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 193-228 (64.9 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zen Headbutt's extra power alongside its nice flinch chance is more than worth the 90% accuracy.

Here's the rest of the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
thank you so much for the rate! I like and agree with most of the changes made, and think it can do a lot for the team! However there's just one change I don't entirely agree with, which is changing Kommo-o's sash to specs. While I know about how specs kommo-o does a lot more in the damage department, it's really nice having a focus sash on kommo-o, as it can allow it to set up with autotomize, which can prevent otherwise offensive checks to it in for free after a sack/kill. I don't know, I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks again for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)