SM OU Secure The Bag Alert (Heracross Bulky VoltTurn - Peak 1875)

Introduction
I started out with this team with no real purpose - just building a team for fun. I made enough changes that it became a new team. It's built specifically to beat Tapus/Hawlucha and Rain because I hate losing to those, and I don't have great speed control. I like to use Heracross early to bust holes and sweep later with Thundurus-T and Greninja. I love VoltTurn, so I put it on a lot of things on the team. Keeping momentum is fun because it makes your opponent feel bad since they're on the defensive, plus the team requires it.

Teambuilding Process
greninja.gif
tapubulu.gif
landorus-therian.gif
toxapex.gif
magearna.gif
aerodactyl-mega.gif

I originally made this team because I wanted to use Mega-Aerodactyl because I've always felt like it's a bit underrated (although it's still not very good, but the speed + coverage makes a great cleaner). I love scarfed, physical Greninja because it's super good at patching up holes in coverage, and it's a really great secondary win condition at the end of games. I added Toxapex because it's a great answer to things like Ash-Greninja and Blacephalon, and I've also never used it. I also just keep hearing about how broken it is, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Landorus-T is my blanket physical check, particularly to Zygarde. Magearna is my blanket special check - standard Assault Vest set. I added banded Tapu Bulu on for a nuke. Plus, I hate Chansey and think it's borderline overcentralizing, and it's nice to have something that can almost always switch into it and drop a bomb because Grassy Terrain will heal you.

aerodactyl-mega.gif
--->
heracross-mega.gif

Pretty quickly, I figured out Aerodactyl was rarely doing anything, and the team struggled quite a bit with bulky steels, particularly Celesteela and Skarmory. Putting Heracross on took away a LOT of speed from the team because now my second fastest Pokemon is lower than base 100, but the power and bulk increases definitely were worth it. Being able to 2HKO Cele and Skarm is amazing for this team because they can otherwise just wall it pretty well.

toxapex.gif
--->
latias.gif

I replaced Toxapex with Latias because I found myself getting used as set up fodder, and also scarfed Kartana and Heatran (especially fast Magma Storm) were a real problem for the team. I ran Earthquake and Thunderbolt/HP Fire (at different times) for the aforementioned threats. This also allowed me to put defog on Lati, because prior I had to run it on Lando, which was really troublesome because I had to forego HP ice, which hurt a lot against Zygarde. Lati also worked as a great lure to Tran and Ferrothorn.

latias.gif
--->
mew.gif

I needed more physical bulk in this slot, and Mew has the added benefit of being rather unpredictable in its set. I could've ran more physical bulk on Latias, but I noticed that it just wasn't getting rid of the things I wanted to, particularly Kartana. Mew also has defog, no weakness to dragon/ice, and can take on Hawlucha.

tapubulu.gif
--->
thundurus-therian.gif

After a while, I started getting tossed by Rain, Tapu/Hawlucha, and Mega-Pinsir. The team is really slow, and the aforementioned team archetypes can just boost past me since I don't have priority. Originally I ran dual dance, boltbeam Thundurus-T, but after a while I realized I could replace Nasty Plot with Grass Knot to deal with my Swampert and Hippowdon problems.

Proof of Peak
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 11.16.13 PM.png

Yeah, my GXE is low, but that's because I usually play for fun and don't ladder seriously all that much.

The Final Team
greninja.gif

$nicker $nacker (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

Gren is my all purpose scarfer. I'll get to it in the threatlist, but CharYzard and fire types in general are a huge problem for this team, as is Clefable. Greninja can get through these even after a speed boost, which is nice. I almost always lead Greninja. Gunk Shot is great against Koko and Clef leads. I U-Turn on pretty much anything else. Sometimes I'll go for the Ice Beam on Lando if I think it's the sashed explosion set, then switch into something to take the explosion turn 2. It's also particularly useful against Kartana since uninvested Ice Beam OHKOs after rocks and has a good chance to even at full, which can do a lot of damage to my team, especially with Grassy Terrain up.

thundurus-therian.gif

juiCeD (Thundurus-Therian) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

The wonky member of the team. I got so tired of losing to birds and rain that I added this on. I'll lead this against rain and agility on the Pelipper hoping they bring Swampert in to get KO'd by Grass Knot. If they go Kingdra, well I'm screwed. I also lead this against teams that have Kyurem-B because I can Z-Focus Blast and KO it, and KyuB is otherwise a huge problem for me. This also takes care of Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, two common switch-ins to it, so it acts as a lure of sorts.

landorus-therian.gif

iGOTbrixINmyCLOUD (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Not much to say here. I use this for Zygarde and dragons in particular. I also like to switch it into things like Bulu and Hawlucha to hit them with the -1 attack and pivot out. I've noticed I have trouble getting rocks up because it sacrifices a lot of momentum for a team this slow that is constantly turning, but I'm working on that. I ran more Def instead of the small amount of SpD that a lot of people run because I'm not really worried about this thing taking a Draco Meteor from Lati@s, and I try not to let it take opposing Lando's HP Ice, and that 2HKO a lot of the time with investment anyway, so I dumped it into bulk.

mew.gif

MAXiMiLLiON (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled

I ran fully defensive Mew so I would have an answer to Hawlucha. Mew lives a +3 Acrobatics and can dent Hawlucha with Psychic. After some chip, it KOs. Earth Power is for Heatran that try to come in. Putting big damage on Heatran early can open up a lot of opportunity for a Thundy sweep, and it's also just a good move to chip something on the switch. This thing can also take on mega fighting types, which are otherwise a massive problem for me, particularly Jolly Medicham. I wanted to run Ice Beam for Lando, but I just couldn't prioritize Lando over Tran, especially since Hera can dent Lando and also sub on it.

magearna.gif

$tep 2 ME (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna is broken, that's all I can say. HP fire is for Ferrothorn, but I notice myself using it so little I've been seriously considering switching it to Ice Beam because, like I said, Lando is an issue if played well. This is also my Bulu switch in if the team doesn't have psychic spam or greninja. I like the ability to Flash/Fleur Cannon on the switch and open up opportunities for Thundy and Greninja late game. I run Flash Cannon over Iron Head because I've found having the ability to pop things on the switch is more useful than beating opposing Magearna, especially since Hera CC does >50% to AV Mage.

heracross-mega.gif

don't mi$$ (Heracross-Mega) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

The wallbreaker. This thing also can never hit it's moves to the point where I've considered doing a statistics test just because of the number of game-breaking Rock Blasts I've missed. Really great to switch into Bulu, Chansey, Lando, and Toxapex. I can sub up on these and start hitting things as they come in. Having the ability to 2HKO Pex, Zapdos, Skarm, Cele, etc. is invaluable because like I said earlier, I have trouble with them, and I don't like hazards on my side since I'm constantly switching.

Threat List
  1. (Fast) fire types, particularly CharYzard, Blacephalon, Volcarona, Volcanion, ChariXard: These can all come in on anything that isn't Thundurus or Greninja and just get a kill. Whenever I'm playing against teams with these, I have to play super aggressively and predict the switch so I don't lose a Pokemon every time. Rocks helps a lot against them, but the very act of setting up rocks lets good players switch them in since Lando can't really beat most of them 1v1.
  2. Flying types, particularly Mega Pinsir: It comes in and SDs or uses Frustration. I have little counterplay other than prediction. Against teams with birds, I'll often try not to show that Gren is scarfed so I can bluff the scarf with Thundy, but that's a high-risk strategy.
  3. Strong, special attackers: Ash-Ninja, Gengar, Kingdra, Koko, Heatran all come in and fire off moves. I use Mage as a check to all of them, which is why I'm running the SpD set instead of just AV no SpD. If the other player knows what they're going, they can chip it repeatedly and then start knocking holes in my team.
  4. Dragonite: If it's weakness policy, which admittedly isn't that common anymore. Having Ice Beam on Mew or Mage would help with this a lot, but at +2 this thing can Extremespeed and Fire Punch through me quite well, especially since Mew doesn't have Wisp.
  5. Mega-Venusaur and Mega Scizor: I add these at the bottom because they're only a threat if I can't hit them with Heracross. I've generally not had a whole bunch of problems with them, but the few times I'm unable to put damage on them, they can just tear me up since nothing on my team can OHKO either one (except maybe Mage HP Fire on Scizor, but Bullet Punch is a thing.
Replays
Import
$nicker $nacker (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

juiCeD (Thundurus-Therian) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled

$tep 2 ME (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

don't mi$$ (Heracross-Mega) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM
Team looks and plays great man! feels refreshing and i like scarf gren lol.

Im not the best player but I do have some feedback to give on your defensive core and how its set. Ive been runnng Lando-Gear-Mew for the longest time (I swear if I was relevant I wouldve probably popularized it earlier lol just glad its being used more now). Anyway here are some recommendations for the sets which I feel could open you up to playing a little more passive vs rain instead of going wild with thundurus lol.

EVs: 240 HP / 152 Def / 52 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic/Ice beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled

This is probably by far my favorite Mew set and it would fit well with your team since I see you're not the biggest fan of rain. This set can successfully one v one Mega Swampert event when hard switched into from full unless theres rocks (although it instantly puts you into a defensive state if you go hard into it) With how the team is shaped you could do with removing the speed and adding health and SpDf but the speed helps Mew stay competitive speed tier wise, be faster than adamant pert after rain turns are stalled with roost (If hes Jolly EQ wont do more than 50% on the highest roll so you can beat it even easier) and the current SpDf is Really helpful to avoid getting 2 hit KOd by special attackers who cant hit you super effectively. With this set Hawlucha also cant 2 hit KO you from full if its at plus 2 unless theres rocks up, which is why Wisp is there over Earth power since its also what allows you to one v one Swampert. Note that when hawlucha is burned Mew can always roost up in front of it no matter how much it SDs,

Now Psychic is a completely fine STAB option for Mew but if you choose to run it over Ice beam I would recommend these changes for Lando

EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Pretty simple. Since i notice you really only have Gren and lando for ice coverage it can be a struggle to pressure lando early on, which can be detrimental for the team since you wouldnt be able to Volt switch freely with Mag if Lando is at almost full percent since theres no fear of getting KOd by any other moves, forcing you to outplay and predict or youd lose momentum and you cant really hard bring gren into it. These EVs will let lando outspeed a vast majority of other defensive landos and pressure them out with the first HP Ice, allowing you to push the momentum with U-Turn or just get your rocks up if theyre more helpful that game.

Thats about it, the team is real solid. (everything past this point would be personal things i would modify in the team, it works well as it is now) If you were to keep asking me though I would say switching thundurus for any special koko set would be nice since Mew and AV Mag together can pretty much take on all the common top tier rain threats and having an extra mon with volt switch would be nice for keeping up the VoltTurn trend and not letting The rain get set again whenever hes out (you could say its the same case for thundurus but terrain volt switch apart from killing can keep good momentum). And since you already have 2 mons with ice moves you could switch HP ice on koko for HP fire which is being run a bit more often now and lures in ferros like crazy. Or if you were to not go for a specs set roost or U-Turn to use when ground types are still around would be an option too. Again I feel the team works fine after the EV changes and probably also before that. These last changes would just increase the momentum and pressure this team can keep and probably subjective.

Sorry for my poor grammar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)