Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I've read and seen in replays, the problem is Kyurem-Black more than Mold Breaker. Gyarados isn't as fast or as powerful and can't hold a Toxic Orb to automatically trigger Guts, Quick Feet, and Poison Heal, and Haxorus is mono-Dragon so it doesn't have immunity-free STAB (not that Guts Poison Jab is something to not address).

No real comment on Magic Bounce. Magic Guard is, in my opinion, the better Ability anyway. Toxics and Stealth Rocks don't mean anything anyway, what do I care if they're set up? Blocking opposing Sticky Web is cool, but I haven't even tried a Contrary team yet, and that sounds even cooler.

Well, I'm really happy to see these changes, and am curious to see how this will make the meta play out in the long run. Which would be now, if my computer would let me use ROM with any convenience...

Well, I guess I should post some replays, since my computer won't let me on ROM right now.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-203989
360 turns of PP stall. Pressure OP.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-204052
Scum team is scummy.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-204061
A generic, fun, and good battle against someone not using scum.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-204085
I made a scum team and called for the scummiest battle. Was not disappointed. I also wasn't kidding when I said that Alakazam set was garbage. That PoS has Confusion.

I'll say more when I get back on ROM.

Viability Rankings Update

So with the recent council ban round, the viability rankings has been shaken up yet again. The following changes will simply reflect the current metagame shifts and won't be as ridiculously drastic as the first one. Without further ado, VR update 2:

Rises

UR --> A-
A ---> A+
B+ --> A-
B ---> B+
B- --> B
C+ --> A
C+ --> B
C+ --> B
C+ --> B-
UR --> C-

Drops

A+ --> A-
C+ --> C
B- --> C+
C ---> UR

Overall a really nice slate with only four drops. Lando-T got replaced in the small pool of A+ Pokemon with Kyurem-Black, which is probably the biggest change other than the new addition of Aegislash into the tier.

You’re overestimating Mold Breaker a lot. Saying it has 0 defensive counterplay just isn’t true; for example, Kyurem-Black is plagued with a constant 50/50 if there’s a Fairy type on the field which can easily come in on a Draco Meteor and proceed to win 1v1. A big example is Clefable. Even though Clefable can takes a lot from Ice Beam, a predicted Draco will just force Kyurem-Black out.

How can you be so adamant about that? Prankster Haze and Prankster Spore are pretty efficient stops to Kyurem-Black and Mega Gyarados. Poison Heal turns a lot of 2hkoes into 3hkoes and so on. Also, full on stall doesn’t really exist in Shared Power unfortunately. Stall teams will more often than not have a designated revenge killer for these Pokemon.
Kyurem-B gets flash cannon. It's relatively easy (if it's running contrary) to just kill the fairies with that. Extremely easy, in fact.

So let’s talk about Aegislash.

Feared ever since XY, Aegislash is quickbanned to Ubers at the start of every generation in OU. It’s not hard to see why, either. When played right, Aegislash effectively has a stat spread of 60/150/150/150/150/50 with access to King’s Shield and an absolutely fantastic typing that is only bolstered by access to two additional immunities in Shared Power. The premise of our metagame is that all abilities are active at once, but Stance Change is coded to only work on Aegislash, so it cannot be shared. What this means is that Aegislash brings every team’s ability count down to 5. But let’s talk about Aegislash individually. We’ll begin by looking at Aegislash’s individual matchups against the S and A ranks in the VR.

- Aegislash always wins.
- Aegislash only wins if Levitate.
- Aegislash cannot reliably switch in.
- Aegislash always loses.
- Aegislash wins, but cannot Shadow Sneak.
- Aegislash only wins if Flash Fire.
- Aegislash always wins.
- Aegislash loses.

Now it’s important to note that Aegislash cannot fulfill its niche with King’s Shield against teams with Contrary, meaning a lot of Pokemon can check it 100% of the time thanks to this, like Landorus-Therian for example. Excadrill with Mold Breaker will see usage, not only for its ability to set hazards against Magic Bounce teams, but also for its ability to reliably check Aegislash. Another thing to note is that Aegislash cannot use Toxic reliably against most teams because of Magic Guard and Magic Bounce, while, as stated earlier, also cannot take advantage of Poison Heal Guts teams. That being said, Aegislash is still a terrifying Pokemon. Take this as an informal suspect test if you will, as we will see how Aegislash does in practice.

Adding to Haakunite's post:
When considering Aegislash, it's important to consider that King's Shield is a 50/50. While I do think that Aegislash works quite well with abilities like Flash Fire and Levitate, those abilities are already quite viable. Levitate Tran is already a prolific combo, and Aegislash just looks like another addition to it. While Aegislash looks like a powerful individual, it doesn't do much in the way of support for other mons. When you have the ability to carry abilities to your entire team, a Pokémon that doesn't give anything to its allies can be a weakness. Aegislash also does not work well on an unaware team due to the fact that drops from King's Shield will just be ignored. Aegislash straight up loses to Contrary because it cannot work with the number 1 counter and actually helps Contrary mons. And while on paper Aegislash has 150 in both attack and defense, you lose to setup on your King's Shield turn and cannot run Unaware to counter that. And as Haakunite mentions, defensive Aegislash suffers even more due to its inability to take advantage of Poison Heal and the difficulty in statusing with MGuard/Bounce running around. These weaknesses are a big problem for Aegislash, which is why I believe it should stay unbanned.

Based on what I've read and seen in replays, the problem is Kyurem-Black more than Mold Breaker. Gyarados isn't as fast or as powerful and can't hold a Toxic Orb to automatically trigger Guts, Quick Feet, and Poison Heal, and Haxorus is mono-Dragon so it doesn't have immunity-free STAB (not that Guts Poison Jab is something to not address).

No real comment on Magic Bounce. Magic Guard is, in my opinion, the better Ability anyway. Toxics and Stealth Rocks don't mean anything anyway, what do I care if they're set up? Blocking opposing Sticky Web is cool, but I haven't even tried a Contrary team yet, and that sounds even cooler.
I honestly think MGyara is way more threatening than KyuB depending on the team. With the right support behind it there's almost nothing in the game that can stop it after a Dragon Dance, which is something KyuB doesn't have, and that it feels pretty hard due to getting socked by anything faster than it. Crunch also has amazing neutral coverage as I've said before, and anything that resists gets decimated by Waterfall. KyuB has the advantage against stall thanks to it's higher power outright, but Gyara only requires one turn if you have simple on your team to equal or surpass it as a threat. I don't know if either are banworthy, just saying that Gyara shouldn't be ignored so quickly.

That being said, I think the argument for banning mold breaker because it invalidates stall is silly because while mold breaker is a big problem for stall, I've seen plenty of teams without it that are able to steamroll stall teams regardless of whether or not mold breaker was used. Is Refrigerate/Guts KyuB deadly? Yes. Is it exponentially more of a threat than something like King's Rock/Beat Up Adaptability Weavile? Not sure.

(That may seem like a dumb Weavile set, but it has like an 80% flinch chance, breaks multiscale and deals surprisingly huge amounts of damage so)

I honestly think MGyara is way more threatening than KyuB depending on the team. With the right support behind it there's almost nothing in the game that can stop it after a Dragon Dance, which is something KyuB doesn't have, and that it feels pretty hard due to getting socked by anything faster than it. Crunch also has amazing neutral coverage as I've said before, and anything that resists gets decimated by Waterfall. KyuB has the advantage against stall thanks to it's higher power outright, but Gyara only requires one turn if you have simple on your team to equal or surpass it as a threat. I don't know if either are banworthy, just saying that Gyara shouldn't be ignored so quickly.

That being said, I think the argument for banning mold breaker because it invalidates stall is silly because while mold breaker is a big problem for stall, I've seen plenty of teams without it that are able to steamroll stall teams regardless of whether or not mold breaker was used. Is Refrigerate/Guts KyuB deadly? Yes. Is it exponentially more of a threat than something like King's Rock/Beat Up Adaptability Weavile? Not sure.

(That may seem like a dumb Weavile set, but it has like an 80% flinch chance, breaks multiscale and deals surprisingly huge amounts of damage so)
It's not 80%. Beat Up hits 6 times, and each hit has a 10% chance to flinch. That means that we need to look at the chance not to flinch. Each hit has a 90% chance to flinch. .9^6=.53. So a 53% not to flinch, and a 47% chance to flinch. Now, I've recently done some research and it looks like Stench is actually affected by Serene Grace. My sample size was 50 turns of using Icicle Spear with Stench and Skill Link. 76% of hits flinched, which is close to the theoretical probability of a Serene Grace Icicle Spear. Anyway, if Serene Grace is used with Beat Up and Stench, the odds of not flinching are .8^6=.26, so a 74% chance to flinch. Which is actually pretty incredible.
Also I'm incredibly skeptical about King's Rock and Stench working together, but if someone could help confirm or deny this I'd appreciate it.
Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays everyone!

Now, I've recently done some research and it looks like Stench is actually affected by Serene Grace. My sample size was 50 turns of using Icicle Spear with Stench and Skill Link. 76% of hits flinched, which is close to the theoretical probability of a Serene Grace Icicle Spear. Anyway, if Serene Grace is used with Beat Up and Stench, the odds of not flinching are .8^6=.26, so a 74% chance to flinch.
urkerab can you confirm this? I’m not too savvy when it comes to these things so I don’t know if this is actually the case.

I’d like to drop some sample Aegislash sets after trying it out in the meta. One thing I can say is that sets utilizing Toxic are awful with Magic Guard and Magic Bounce being literally everywhere. So far, offensive Aegislash has been the way to go. Here are the sets:

Aegislash @ Life Orb / Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Autotomize
- King's Shield

Autotomize doubles Aegislash’s Speed and turns it into a very dangerous offensive threat. This set can be used with Adaptability and even Sheer Force to boost both of Aegislash’s attacking moves.
Aegislash @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

This set is to be utilized with Tough Claws and/or Technician in order to hit as hard as possible with Shadow Sneak. Life Orb can be used on Magic Guard builds, but Leftovers is appreciated for the passive recovery as well if maximizing damage output isn’t needed. Keep in mind that this set is hardwalled by Tapu Lele, as it is immune to Shadow Sneak and takes laughably little from Sacred Sword.

I've been having a hard time thinking of any reason why I'd want to run Aegislash tbh. Doesn't benefit it's team and it's ability isn't as good in this meta as something like Mold Breaker/Teravolt or Protean. And I wouldn't want to run a team with more than 1 of those kinds of abilities since they benefit your team less overall, so Aegislash is competing for a team slot against Greninja, KyuB, MGara and others. Meanwhile, Kings Shield's offense drop is made useless if you have unaware on your team, and actively works against you when facing defiant teams, whose main roadblock IS unaware. It also has a hard time dealing with Victini and Blacephalon depending on the set.

I just don't see it being great here, maybe it'll find a niche but I can't think of what that'll be right now.

It's not 80%. Beat Up hits 6 times, and each hit has a 10% chance to flinch. That means that we need to look at the chance not to flinch. Each hit has a 90% chance to flinch. .9^6=.53. So a 53% not to flinch, and a 47% chance to flinch. Now, I've recently done some research and it looks like Stench is actually affected by Serene Grace. My sample size was 50 turns of using Icicle Spear with Stench and Skill Link. 76% of hits flinched, which is close to the theoretical probability of a Serene Grace Icicle Spear. Anyway, if Serene Grace is used with Beat Up and Stench, the odds of not flinching are .8^6=.26, so a 74% chance to flinch. Which is actually pretty incredible.
Also I'm incredibly skeptical about King's Rock and Stench working together, but if someone could help confirm or deny this I'd appreciate it.
Happy Holidays!
Yeah that's why I said 'like 80%' and not just 80. Knew it was somewhere in that ballpark but wasn't positive. Thanks for doin' the math!

Last edited:
Here's just an idea:

Abilities:
Harvest+Gluttony+Cheek Pouch+Sticky Hold+MultiScale
Harvest has a 50% chance to recycle a berry
Gluttony lets you use a lot of berries a lot earlier
Check Pouch heals 1/3 pf your health each time you consume a berry
Sticky Hold is there to protect you from losing your item
MultiScale is there for defence and since you should be able to regain your health if you manage to get your health below 1/2.

The Last ability can be whatever you feel would be the most helpful. I've tried No Guard since Dragonite gets zap cannon, Hurricane, and Blizzard. Prankster could be good since it helps you get up Substitutes.

The idea is that you use Aguav and Figy Berry so that every time your HP reaches below half, you most likely gain all your HP back and reactivate multiscale. (1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6+2/6=5/6). You can also use stuff like stat raising berries.

Last edited:
Here's just an idea:

Abilities:
MultiScale is there for defence and since you should be able to regain your health if you manage to get your health below 1/2.

The Last ability can be whatever you feel would be the most helpful. I've tried No Guard since Dragonite gets zap cannon, Hurricane, and Blizzard. Prankster could be good since it helps you get up Substitutes.

The idea is that you use Aguav and Figy Berry so that every time your HP reaches below half, you most likely gain all your HP back and reactivate multiscale. (1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6+2/6=5/6). You can also use stuff like stat raising berries.
use drampa for berserk and accumulate special attack boosts? i think it activates before eating the berry
also drought to help harvest might work

Here's just an idea:

Abilities:

I'd recommend adding Necrozma - Stored Power goes hand in hand with the boosts from the berries, and it lends your team Prism Armor, making them even harder to take down. Also either Bibarel or Swoobat for Simple over Dragonite - amplifies the boosts and something with Beast Boost for even more boosts. In my experience Sticky Hold hasn't been that helpful, so I'd suggest replacing Gastro with Clefable - Unaware shuts down opposing sweepers.

Last edited:
I've had the most success with Prankster when using that strategy. Substitute can bring you down to berry range just in case the initial hit didn't, and get your multiscale back (potentially with a sub up) and just generally allows for a lot of shenanigans. Still think Diggersby is the better Cheek Pouch donor though, at least it gets spikes/super fang.

urkerab I have found a very weird bug while playing in Shared Power.

As you can see in the replay here, Eien’s Poison Heal only activated at seemingly random turns without any pattern. Here is another replay showing this.

A similar thing happened in another battle as well. In this replay, It’s Hatch managed to drop KinnKardashian’s Attack turn 1, even though there was a contrary user on her team. However, after Mega Evolving, KinnKardashian clicked Close Combat and received the defense boosts. Notice how later in the game Intimidate works as it should with Contrary, raising Mega Gallade’s Attack stat.

Eien’s Poison Heal only activated at seemingly random turns without any pattern.
Poison Heal is fighting against Magic Guard. If Magic Guard blocks Poison Damage, Poison Heal fails to heal.
It’s Hatch managed to drop KinnKardashian’s Attack turn 1, even though there was a contrary user on her team. However, after Mega Evolving, KinnKardashian clicked Close Combat and received the defense boosts. Notice how later in the game Intimidate works as it should with Contrary, raising Mega Gallade’s Attack stat.
That depends on the order in which the abilities get activated. I might be able to work around that though.

Oh, people already talked about harvest + multiscale + gluttony + the rest. It gives you 5/6 health for free and you get to reactivate multiscale a lot. That's why I think it'll be usable. Because Unaware is running around,I feel the team would need to find a way to not be too dependent on stat boosting berries (unless you are using stored power, possibly mold breaker, or power trip, or some other thing that I am not thinking of). As for the stored power+simple idea, starf berry could probably be used for the instant + 4 random stat boost. But a speed boost from a salac berry could be important.

Power Trip Krookadile could probably be used if your using Simple. Give it bulk up for a bunch of stat boosts, and moxie for more base power. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-206113 (I forgot to use harvest on exeggutor, and I think simple is stacking or something(must be a bug) )

Just to add to the ideas, torkoal gets eruption in the sun, you get all your hp back pretty often, so you can fire full power eruptions fairly often. I think it could be a good idea to run a flash fire mon to protect your mons from fire moves b/c they are being boosted in the sun and as a bonus it stops WoW.

Some stuff I wanted to talk about.

Simple seems more and more like a broken ability in this metagame. Unlike other potentially banworthy abilities like Contrary, there is no downside to using this ability. It’s bad enough that it doubles setup, but boosting the boosts from Moxie, Beast Boost, Soul-Heart, etc just pushes it over edge. It’s tough to argue that Unaware is enough to keep this ability in check when defensive teams aren’t in a good position right now. Even if Unaware was prevalent, this does not stop what’s Simple’s most problematic user: Mega Gyarados.

A lot of people have called for a full ban on Mold Breaker, but I do not agree with this. I think Mega Gyarados is more of the problem since it can simply run through offensive and defensive teams alike thanks to Dragon Dance setup. Unlike Kyurem-Black, Gyarados can invalidate it’s Water STAB immunities thanks to Mold Breaker. Ignoring Multiscale also makes sweeping teams incredibly easier. Mold Breaker users like Excadrill are perfectly fine in the metagame. While I don’t think this should get banned if Simple gets banned, it’s definitely something to watch out for in the future anyway. I understand we just came off of an Aegislash unban, but I wanted to discuss another potential unban for the future, as this one is a little harder to judge than Aegislash was (which, by the way, seems completely okay after testing it for a while.)

A Darkrai unban has been a hot topic even in the realm of OU, but has not happened for a couple of reasons. In Shared Power, the meta puts much more weigh on every Pokemon’s ability slot in order to function in the metagame. However, Darkrai’s Bad Dreams is a relatively useless ability that also means that you’re playing with 1 less viable ability than your opponent. Another problem that Darkrai has is that it has a mediocre offensive and defensive typing with no actual way to patch up its weaknesses unlike Aegislash. Lastly, Darkrai finds it hard to OHKO anything even after a Nasty Plot thanks to the overwhelming presence of Multiscale teams. With all this being said, however, Darkrai is still a force to be reckoned with in the Shared Power meta as it still has fantastic coverage, an amazing Speed tier, and even access to fully accurate sleep moves thanks to No Guard teammates. It’s hard to say if Darkrai should ever see the light of day in this tier, but it’s at least a good discussion point and I’d like to hear your opinions on it. Unlike Aegislash which the council deemed not broken immediately, if Darkrai were to ever get unbanned, it would be immediately followed by a suspect test in order to see how Darkrai fares.

Some stuff I wanted to talk about.

Simple seems more and more like a broken ability in this metagame. Unlike other potentially banworthy abilities like Contrary, there is no downside to using this ability. It’s bad enough that it doubles setup, but boosting the boosts from Moxie, Beast Boost, Soul-Heart, etc just pushes it over edge. It’s tough to argue that Unaware is enough to keep this ability in check when defensive teams aren’t in a good position right now. Even if Unaware was prevalent, this does not stop what’s Simple’s most problematic user: Mega Gyarados.

A lot of people have called for a full ban on Mold Breaker, but I do not agree with this. I think Mega Gyarados is more of the problem since it can simply run through offensive and defensive teams alike thanks to Dragon Dance setup. Unlike Kyurem-Black, Gyarados can invalidate it’s Water STAB immunities thanks to Mold Breaker. Ignoring Multiscale also makes sweeping teams incredibly easier. Mold Breaker users like Excadrill are perfectly fine in the metagame. While I don’t think this should get banned if Simple gets banned, it’s definitely something to watch out for in the future anyway. I understand we just came off of an Aegislash unban, but I wanted to discuss another potential unban for the future, as this one is a little harder to judge than Aegislash was (which, by the way, seems completely okay after testing it for a while.)

A Darkrai unban has been a hot topic even in the realm of OU, but has not happened for a couple of reasons. In Shared Power, the meta puts much more weigh on every Pokemon’s ability slot in order to function in the metagame. However, Darkrai’s Bad Dreams is a relatively useless ability that also means that you’re playing with 1 less viable ability than your opponent. Another problem that Darkrai has is that it has a mediocre offensive and defensive typing with no actual way to patch up its weaknesses unlike Aegislash. Lastly, Darkrai finds it hard to OHKO anything even after a Nasty Plot thanks to the overwhelming presence of Multiscale teams. With all this being said, however, Darkrai is still a force to be reckoned with in the Shared Power meta as it still has fantastic coverage, an amazing Speed tier, and even access to fully accurate sleep moves thanks to No Guard teammates. It’s hard to say if Darkrai should ever see the light of day in this tier, but it’s at least a good discussion point and I’d like to hear your opinions on it. Unlike Aegislash which the council deemed not broken immediately, if Darkrai were to ever get unbanned, it would be immediately followed by a suspect test in order to see how Darkrai fares.
One major issue I could see with a potential Darkrai unban is that it would have access to no guard, which might put it over the top. It still would have the issue of not really passing a good ability, but it could abuse its ability itself and wouldn't have too too much trouble smashing through teams with nasty plot.

One major issue I could see with a potential Darkrai unban is that it would have access to no guard, which might put it over the top. It still would have the issue of not really passing a good ability, but it could abuse its ability itself and wouldn't have too too much trouble smashing through teams with nasty plot.
The only thing that DESTROYS the argument of No Guard is simple: Are there any good No Guard supporters in the tier? Nope. I will talk about his later.

The only thing that DESTROYS the argument of No Guard is simple: Are there any good No Guard supporters in the tier? Nope. I will talk about his later.
Doublade seems decent, but ultimately only there to support. I definitely agree with that, which is why I'm only tentatively against Darkrai. The other main reason it might be okay is that it doesn't support the team nearly as much as other mons can, so it has a lot of opportunity cost to using it, especially over mons like Whimsicott which can combo no guard grass whistle with prankster, meaning that there's going to be a lot of reasons to not use Darkrai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)