Shiny Pokémon "References"

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm just going to out on record and say this before I start discussing this thread more. For quite some time now, I honestly haven't been the biggest fan of Shiny Pokémon. Whether or not I'm in the minority on this opinion I'm not sure, but I think the combination of overhauled Shiny mechanics over several generations and a surprisingly long list of Pokémon existing that just... don't have very appealing Shiny colorations place this fan-favorite addition to the franchise in a bit of a weird situation, especially in newer games when Shiny Pokémon have only gotten easier to find over time. I could probably find a few other things to say about them too, but for all the smaller gripes I have with Shiny Pokémon, I want to acknowledge the other side of this coin and admit that my favorite part about Shiny Pokémon is actually something I really enjoy. Every now and then, a new Pokémon will be released to the public whose Shiny color palette has some kind of reference behind it. When I say "references" in this thread's title, that could mean any number of different things, including but not limited to:
  • References to real-world biology
  • References to real-world occurrences in nature
  • References to other Pokémon
  • References to specific Pokémon games
The most immediate similarity to Shiny Pokémon references I can find in any other Nintendo I.P. would probably be the different alternate costumes each playable character is given in the Super Smash Bros. franchise, the large majority of said costumes referencing the history of that character's franchise in some way. As a matter of fact, some of the playable Pokémon characters even have their Shiny colorations as alternate costumes. The interesting thing about both these alternate costumes and Shiny Pokémon, though, is that Nintendo often won't provide confirmation that a reference is being made, and in the instances where Nintendo does acknowledge one of the references, fans will likely have to go out of their way to find that information themselves. As a result of this, there are plenty of possible references out there for both franchises that, for the most part, have been left up to speculation and theories on what is actually being referenced.

In this thread I want to know about your favorite officially confirmed or acknowledged Shiny Pokémon references you've learned about, as well as any more obscure reference confirmations you think other users (including myself) may not have heard about. Knowing how popular of a topic Shiny Pokémon are among the fanbase, I'm honestly kind of surprised that a thread about this didn't exist until now (at least to my knowledge). At the same time, though, while I want to support speculation and theorizing as much as possible, I would also like to respect the Orange Islands moderation team's rules about unofficial and/or unconfirmed Pokémon content. In the off chance both sides of that coin can agree on some kind of middle ground for this thread, that would be really neat, but for now I want to reaffirm that we all follow Orange Island's and Smogon's universal posting rules. I think that just about covers everything, so happy posting, everyone, and who knows? I may even see you back here at some point.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't know if they ever confirmed a Shiny's coloration basis, or if they had it's not that many. I think in general they like to keep a Shiny a surprise.

A Youtuber I watch and I'm fairly sure is well known in the Pokemon community, Lockstin (& Gnoggin), has a whole series of videos where he goes over Shiny Pokemon, having potentially figured out a rough system how they did Shiny colors in the early days for the majority of Pokemon and going into deeper details for new Pokemon which Shiny colors may have some real life basis. He's done Gens 1 through 8 and he'll probably do one for Gen 9 maybe once the Indigo Disk is release thus there's no more new Pokemon (though he has incorporated some Shiny explanations in videos dedicated to specific Pokemon). Here's the playlist.

As for my favorite Shiny references, there are two Pokemon who come to mind that Shiny reference one another:
:rs/zangoose::rs/seviper:
In the Gen 3 games, there was something interesting about Zangoose's sprite which didn't match with its official art or anime depiction: it's claws were purple. Later games would "fix" this and make its claws black, but an interesting thing about the purple claws is that is made a "matching" connection with Zangoose's eternal rival, Seviper. in Gen III, Zangoose had red "scars" and purple claws, meanwhile Seviper had purple "scars" and a red bladed tail. This would seem like coincidence possibly, until you looked at their Shiny:

Shiny Zangoose have blue scars and magenta claws, and Seviper has magenta scars and a blue bladed tail.

Zangoose having purple claws wasn't a mistake, it and its scars were meant to mirror Seviper's to show the two's fierce rivalry between one another! And this rivalry goes so deep that even their Shiny counterparts reflect this by referencing the other's Shiny just as their normal sprites do.

I'm going to guess after development someone (I'm going to guess either Pokemon Company or Nintendo) didn't like the implication that Zangoose had Seviper blood on their claws so had it changed that in stock art & anime it had black claws and by Gen 4 had GF make its claws black to match the official depiction. However until then Zangoose was able to have its purple claws which allowed to have its Shiny to have its magenta, and though the normal ones were changed the Shiny were allowed to keep their blood cloaked claws likely due to their rarity.

Don't know whether there's any real world references outside of this, though I will say they are some of the better looking Shinies who only change a few elements but still creates a striking appearance. I personally have a Shiny Seviper and it's one of my favorites (though now it's matched by a Shiny Slugma I recently caught in Teal Mask), maybe I should consider getting a Shiny Zangoose to match it...

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I don't know if they ever confirmed a Shiny's coloration basis, or if they had it's not that many. I think in general they like to keep a Shiny a surprise.
Excluding the whole “Red Gyarados being a Magikarp that failed to change color upon evolution” thing (there’s no way that’s biologically accurate), I can’t think of any official confirmations off the top of my head, but there’s been more than a few that absolutely have some credibility to them. My personal favorites in that bunch are Sandygast and Pallosand (did I spell that right?) being specifically based off of Hawaii’s rare black sand dunes.

In any case, I recognize there might not be as much officially confirmed information as I’d like to have to talk about in this thread, but it’s still fun to speculate and see what people have come up with.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I'm just going to out on record and say this before I start discussing this thread more. For quite some time now, I honestly haven't been the biggest fan of Shiny Pokémon. Whether or not I'm in the minority on this opinion I'm not sure, but I think the combination of overhauled Shiny mechanics over several generations and a surprisingly long list of Pokémon existing that just... don't have very appealing Shiny colorations place this fan-favorite addition to the franchise in a bit of a weird situation, especially in newer games when Shiny Pokémon have only gotten easier to find over time. I could probably find a few other things to say about them too, but for all the smaller gripes I have with Shiny Pokémon, I want to acknowledge the other side of this coin and admit that my favorite part about Shiny Pokémon is actually something I really enjoy. Every now and then, a new Pokémon will be released to the public whose Shiny color palette has some kind of reference behind it. When I say "references" in this thread's title, that could mean any number of different things, including but not limited to:
  • References to real-world biology
  • References to real-world occurrences in nature
  • References to other Pokémon
  • References to specific Pokémon games
The most immediate similarity to Shiny Pokémon references I can find in any other Nintendo I.P. would probably be the different alternate costumes each playable character is given in the Super Smash Bros. franchise, the large majority of said costumes referencing the history of that character's franchise in some way. As a matter of fact, some of the playable Pokémon characters even have their Shiny colorations as alternate costumes. The interesting thing about both these alternate costumes and Shiny Pokémon, though, is that Nintendo often won't provide confirmation that a reference is being made, and in the instances where Nintendo does acknowledge one of the references, fans will likely have to go out of their way to find that information themselves. As a result of this, there are plenty of possible references out there for both franchises that, for the most part, have been left up to speculation and theories on what is actually being referenced.

In this thread I want to know about your favorite officially confirmed or acknowledged Shiny Pokémon references you've learned about, as well as any more obscure reference confirmations you think other users (including myself) may not have heard about. Knowing how popular of a topic Shiny Pokémon are among the fanbase, I'm honestly kind of surprised that a thread about this didn't exist until now (at least to my knowledge). At the same time, though, while I want to support speculation and theorizing as much as possible, I would also like to respect the Orange Islands moderation team's rules about unofficial and/or unconfirmed Pokémon content. In the off chance both sides of that coin can agree on some kind of middle ground for this thread, that would be really neat, but for now I want to reaffirm that we all follow Orange Island's and Smogon's universal posting rules. I think that just about covers everything, so happy posting, everyone, and who knows? I may even see you back here at some point.
Well, Dragonite being green is clearly because someone on staff at Game Freak was a massive LOTR fan and wanted to do a shoutout

As Pikachu315111 said, the cited videos on shiny colours are informative and reasonably illuminating; their methodology is fairly sound and as good as any I've heard.

James Turner confirmed over Twitter that the first time he designed shiny colours was in Gen VII (for the Ultra Beasts, specifically). Even then, I'm not aware that there are any shiny designs officially acknowledged to be references or evocations to anything else. The shiny Pichu that was distributed during Gen IV as the trigger for the Spiky-Eared Pichu event is known as the Pikachu-Coloured Pichu since Pichu's shiny is relatively similar to Pikachu's regular colouring, but that may be a post-facto designation rather than an explicit confirmation that shiny Pichu was designed to look like an ordinary Pikachu - it might have been from Gen III onward, but its shiny form in Gen II is much more consistent with Pikachu's shiny colouring.

Notably you can occasionally observe a correlation within interrelated Pokemon - the Nidoran lines, for instance, seem to have the colourings of the opposite line when shiny; Nidoran-F turns a pinkish-purple colour and Nidoran-M turns a bright blue, while Nidoqueen and Nidoking almost (but not quite) swap palettes. And of course the Galarian legendary bird trio's shinies are a blatant deliberate shoutout to their Kanto forms' regular colourations. Latias and Latios have an interesting linkage between their shinies as Latios turns teal-green overall with the triangle on its chest turning Latias-red, while Latias turns golden-yellow with the triangle on its chest turning a similar green to Latios' shiny (edit: more discussion on this here, I knew there was more to this than I remembered).

It's not the case for all linked Pokemon though - Tauros and Miltank have no obvious connection when it comes to their shinies, nor do more recent pairings like Oranguru and Passimian. Basculin Red and Blue simply have their skin turn a darker green.

Last edited:
James Turner confirmed over Twitter that the first time he designed shiny colours was in Gen VII (for the Ultra Beasts, specifically). Even then, I'm not aware that there are any shiny designs officially acknowledged to be references or evocations to anything else.
IIRC, when Turner was talking about Poipole and Naganadel’s Shinies, he used a bee emoji in the Tweet, so would qualify as “official acknowledgement” of the color intention (even if it was already blatantly obvious)?

Other than that, the only instance I can think of is, there’s a sidequest in Ultra Moon involving a Sandygast that got stranded on Route 14, and you have to help relocate it to Ula’ula Beach. The NPC involved in the scenario says:

“It probably doesn’t like being stuck on a black sand beach like this, huh? It’s not like it’s a Shiny Pokémon after all!”

Again, the idea behind Shiny Sandygast is so obvious that we didn’t really need them to say it outright to know that was the inspiration, but still.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Fun fact: cramorant shiny is a ref to An irl bird becoming orange due to cury
A lot of Shiny Pokemon nowadays have an additional reference to them. Quickly going over the Paldea Shiny Pokemon:

Lechonk & Oinkologne: Based on the black colored (Black) Iberian Pig (though there are other black colored pig species), Shiny turns pink referencing the more well known color of many pig species.

Tarountula & Spidops: One of Tarountula's basis is a ball of yarn, which can be many different colors (though red in particular makes it look like the Destiny Knot item). With one of Spidops basis being a special operations agent, one could consider its webbing turning red referencing infrared lasers such as those used as trips for alarms & traps.

Nymble & Lokix: So this is an interesting one. Most obviously, based on grasshoppers, while there are plenty of grasshoppers that are black (or at least a dark brown), most people are familiar or at least more immediately associate grasshoppers with the green colored species (though some species can be different colors based on life stage or gender). However their based specifically on locusts, a species of grasshoppers which has a certain quirk. As you may know, locusts are infamous for forming massive swarms which can block out the sun as they ravage the land eating all the plantlife they can find. But did you know that some locusts change colors whether they're swarming or not? "Solitary" desert locusts are green and pretty much indistinguishable from other grasshoppers; but when they form into a swarm they become "Gregarious", growing bigger and turning brown and black.

Fidough: Made out of dough which is made from flour, normal Fidough is likely made from white flour (flour which is only made with the wheat's endosperm) while Shiny Fidough is made from brown flours (flour that contains some of the germ and bran). Not sure if Dachsbun's colorings reflect the colors these dough turn when baked.
Smoliv, Dolliv, & Arboliva: Simple one. Normally Smoliv and Dolliv have green olives and Arboliva has fancier purplish Kalamata olives, but their Shiny turns all their olives into black olives.

Nacli, Naclstack, & Garganacl: While most people would know salt as being white as seen with the normal colors, the Shiny having tanned color salt could be referencing Himalayan Salt (which can be pink or black), Hawaiian Salt (which can be red or black) or Smoked Salt (which is brown).

Toedscool & Toedscruel: Both's normal colors are based on the Wood Ear mushroom (also known as the "Tree Jellyfish", especially in Japan), specifically the "Heimuer" species (aka the "Black Wood Ear" which are dark colors such as dark reds, brown, & black). However there are two other species of Wood Ear and both of them are white, just like Shiny Toadscool. Meanwhile, Shiny Toedscruel's coloring likely references the Bleeding Tooth Fungus which is the inspiration for its cap "globs".

Klawk: This isn't the first time we had a crustacean Pokemon which normal color is red/orange and Shiny is blue (or in the case of the Clauncher family and Crabrawler, turn blue to red). So, here's the deal: The famous red coloring we associated with crabs and lobsters? They only turn red AFTER they've been cooked due to chemical reactions in their shell. Now there are red/orange colored crabs and lobster's famously have colored mutations which can make them red & orange (though that is SUPER rare), though on the flip side that also means there are species of crabs which are blue and the most common rare color for lobsters is blue.

Capsakid: Simple. Normal is a green pepper, Shiny is a yellow/orange pepper.

Rellor & Rabsca: Rellor's Shiny has its "mud" ball turn gold. This is probably a pun with the word "nugget", a small lump of something which has been both used to refer to gold and poop slang. The family also has some relation to the Egyption Sun God Ra, and the gold mud ball can be interpreted as looking like a sun. Likewise, to go along with the reincarnation theme that Rabsca has, its normal blue color makes it look like a corpse while the Shiny color turns it gold, once again likely referencing Ra and the sun.

Espathra: Shiny Espathra's coloring makes it look more like an actual ostrich.

Tinkatink, Tinkatuff, & Tinkaton: Their Shiny coloring makes it look like their rattle/hammer is rusty.

Wiglett: I think the Shiny color is supposed to make it look more like a Diglett?

Palafin (Hero Form): Shiny Hero Form Palafin's color make it look like an orca (aka killer whale), the largest dolphin species.

Orthworm: Earthworms don't only come in pink, they come in a few colors, yes, including blue.

Greavard & Houndstone: While their normal color is to make them look ghostly, their Shiny color makes their fur look like dirt. Adding onto that, Greavard's lighter brown fur could meant to be freshly dug dirt (as so a candle could be placed) while Houndstone's darker & two-tone brown fur, combined with its headstone, makes it look like an old grave atop of a hill.

Flamigo: I don't think I need to tell you all this as you probably know, but flamingos are normally white/pale pink and only turn a vivid pink/magenta after having eaten enough shrimp due to a chemical reaction with the carotene pigment the shrimp have.

Cetoddle & Cetitan: While their normal color is white just to relate it to being an Ice-type (MAYBE referencing white cetaceans like the beluga and narwhal, and also the cryptid Ningen it's possibly based on), their Shiny color makes them more look like the whale species they most physically resemble, Right Whales and Bowhead Whales.

Dondozo & Tatsugiri: FUN FACT: These Pokemon were created by James Turner. Not only that, he also was involved in their Shiny colors too! While he doesn't go into detail, the Bulbapedia pages I linked go more into detail about the possible inspirations for their Shiny coloring. To put it simply here: Dondozo is based on the Wels Catfish and its Shiny possibly resembling an albino one. Tastugiri is based on Sushi and both its normal colors and Shiny colors are different kinds.

Ancient Paradox Pokemon: All of their Shiny colors match the Shiny colors of the Pokemon they're based on (sole exception being Koraidon who got a unique black Shiny with dark red highlights, likely to parallel Miraidon who's chrome is white along with having cyan highlights).

Future Paradox Pokemon: All of their Shiny colors is meant to make them look like unpainted chrome robots.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
HERE'S GALAR!

Raboot & Cinderace:
Change from white rabbits to gray rabbits. Being sport players, the navy part of their faux clothes (track suit for Raboot, sport uniform for Cinderace) turn to white possibly referencing them being on another, possibly rival, team.

Sobble, Drizzile & Inteleon: Chameleons can change the colors of their scales to camouflage with their surroundings. While their normal colors are more "natural", their Shiny colors show how drastic and vibrant they can become.

Skwovet: Based on the Eastern Gray Squirrel (a species that have become invasive in the UK), its Shiny colors turn it red like its evolution Greedent. Greedent (and thus Shiny Skwovet) are based on the Eurasian Red Squirrel. Eurasian Red Squirrels are native to the UK, but are now endangered as the gray squirrels are outcompeting them (which could be why the clever Skwovet is gray and the dim-witted Greedent is red). Though being Greedent's Shiny doesn't swap colors (just turning a different shade of red), I'm not sure what other connections can be made.

Rookidee: Based on a bird in the Paridae family, such as chickadees and tits, who both come in blue (such as the Eurasian Blue Tit) and yellow (such as the Great Tit & Japanese Tit).
  • Corvisquire: In addition to ravens, is also likely based on Jays who come in blue (such as the Blue Jay and Steller's Jay) and white (such as the Eurasian Jay).

• Corviknight: Shiny Corviknight's armor coat either resembles the color of normal steel armor or is meant to be a reference to a White Knight, a mythical heroic knight that can be seen as the counterpart to evil (usually) Black Knights. A stronger case can be made for the latter if you consider the red highlights (a color usually associated with evil) of Gigantamax Corviknight turns yellow/gold (a color usually associated with good).

Blipbug: Blipbug's yellow "bow tie" and "vest" turn a grayish-blue to further push the "nerd" design.
  • Dottler: Dottler's yellow dome shell turn grayish-blue making them look even more like radomes.

• Orbeetle: Orbeetle's red shell & parts turn grayish-blue, white face turns blue, and yellow antenna & feet turn light red. This both references blue ladybug species and also, as Gigantamax Orbeetle, makes its UFO form look more extraterrestrial (the grayish-blue shade resembling a night sky) and menacing (the yellow domes under the saucer shell also turn light red making them look like lasers or "warning" lights).

Nickit & Thievul: These Red Foxes change into Silver Foxes (also called "Blue Foxes"). Silver Foxes are actually Red Foxes which have an excess amount of melanin turning their red fur either gray or black (which can appear blue in certain shades).

Gossifleur: Depending on the species of cotton plant (Gossypium), their flower can be yellow or pink.
  • Eldegoss: Based on the seedpods of windflowers (Anemone), they come in a variety of colors including yellow and pink.

Wooloo & Dubwool: Change from white sheep to black sheep. Sheep usually have white wool because its a dominant gene. A black fleece is caused by a certain recessive gene that only a few white sheep have; even if a white ram and white ewe have this gene, the lamb would need to inherit both parent's black wool recessive genes (instead of their dominant white wool gene) to have a black fleece. There's also the idiom "black sheep" but it doesn't seem to have any significance here (mentioning simply to acknowledge it).

Chewtle & Drednaw: Their skin (and shell for Chewtle) turn green, the color most commonly associated with turtles. If there's anything additional, Drednaw takes slight inspiration from early ironclad warships which were wooden boats covered in metal armor casing; their Shiny colors thus could be seen as darker colored wood (possibly from age) encased in rusty armor.

Rolycoly: Its coal body has turned from black to grayish-blue, as if the coal has been burned out. In addition it looks a bit like an engine.
  • Carkol: In addition to burnt coal, since its the body & head that turned grayish-blue it looks even more like a metal mine cart (filled with coal).

• Coalossal: In addition to burnt coal, since its the entire body that turned grayish-blue it looks like a metal furnace (filled with coal).

Applin, Flapple & Appletun: Instead of using a red apple it uses a green apple.

Silicobra & Sandaconda: While also reflecting colors snakes usually are, it turning grayish-brown could be referencing "domestic/house dust" (and maybe dust blowers). It also makes Gigantamax Sandaconda look like a tornado with dark gray clouds.

Cramorant: As mentioned above by Kin+ak (✧∇✧), while based on a Cormorant, its Shiny is possibly based on stories of seagulls that fell into & got covered by orange curry sauce.

Sizzlipede & Centiskorch: Based on Fire Centipedes & possibly other centipedes & millipedes which have bioluminescence, their backs turn teal resembling the color some of these bioluminescence bugs glow when in the dark.

Grapploct: In addition to many large species of octopus being red, it also looks more like a masked wrestler such as a luchador.

Galarian Zigzagoon, Linoone & Obstagoon: Taking design cues from Glam Rock bands (notably Gene Simmons's stage persona "The Demon" from Kiss), while the normal colors reference the bands which go for a more goth motif (such as Kiss), the shiny colors references the other end of the spectrum, bands with a "bubblegum" motif.

Perrserker (& Galarian Meowth?): Taking design cues from Vikings, Perrserker's silver/iron parts turn bronze. The Nordic Bronze Age was an important time period for the Scandinavian people as, while it was before the Viking Age, the culture shifted to a warrior focused one due to bronze metalwork creating stronger weapons. Since the Scandinavian people couldn't produce bronze as they lacked tin deposits, they traded amber for bronze (and amber just so happens to be a similar color to bronze). And in order to trade, they needed to sail, becoming more seafaring folk which also would later be further emphasized during the Viking Age (which also leads back to the basis of the Galarian Meowth's family, the Norwegian Forest Cat, which Vikings kept on their ships as pest control). In addition to all this as a possible inspiration for the Shiny colors, in Norse legends Thor gifted Freyja two cats which are commonly named Bygul (Honey) and Trjegul (Amber), Perrserker's color scheme matching the typical colors of those two things (and thus also Galarian Meowth to a lesser extent).

Galarian Corsola & Cursola: Based on bleached coral, their Shiny darkens their color to almost black. There are species of coral called "Black Coral" (Antipatharians), which in addition to being at risk of bleaching due to climate change, have the problem of people harvesting it (often faster than it can reproduce) and made into jewelry (Cursola looks sorta like an ornament, especially in its Shiny colors).

Sirfetch'd: Changes from a white duck to a yellow duck. This could just be referencing it being a duck (even though its mostly ducklings which are yellow). Another possibility going off its knight design is that, like with Corviknight, Sirfetch'd is meant to be a White Knight, and what color is more radiant than white but gold?

Galarian Mr. Mime & Mr. Rime: Based on a vaudeville actor (G-Mr. Mime a general tap dancer, Mr. Rime more directly based on Charlie Chaplin's Tramp character), their Shiny desaturates their colors almost making them black & white monochrome, just like the early films which often portrayed vaudeville performances.

Galarian Yamask & Runerigus: Based on Viking Runestones, while I have nothing on the pigment and eye color, the stone changing to white could be a reference to limestone, a popular mineral Vikings used to draw runes on and also collect to make into a whitewash for buildings.

Milcery: Normal is more like cream while Shiny is milk. Cream is yellow because it's made from the butterfat of milk, butterfat carries the pigment of the plants grazed on by the cattle that made the milk (milk appears white because the buttermilk is mixed with water and other proteins).
  • Alcremie: Even though its normal forms are all based on flavors, that doesn't mean the Shiny is too; Shiny Black Pokemon is sort of a trope. Assuming it is based on a flavor and isn't food coloring, my guess is either cocoa (possibly cookies & cream) or burnt marshmallow. Gigantamax Alcremie cake layers may also be different flavors.

Falinks: Shiny looks to be wearing brass armor instead of gold, which would be a metal armor would actually be made of. The horns are based on crests/plumes that helmets worn by Spartan and Roman soldiers sometimes had. The color of the crest/plume didn't signify rank or allegiance, it was merely for decorative & possibly intimidation purposes, so them being a different color doesn't mean anything.

Pincurchin: Shiny makes it look more like an actual urchin.

Eiscue: The ice turning pink is strange, but could be a reference to Watermelon Snow, snow that contains an algae called Chlamydomonas Nivalis which colors it pink.

Galar Fossils: Their Shiny either are supposed to look like aged corpses (since logically these mixed-up dinosaurs shouldn't be able to live) or maybe like statues to reference the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs.

Gigantamax Duraludon: The Shard, the building which its based on, is covered in lights which can make the Shard any visible color (or mix of colors). Without lights the building's reflective material could appear blue, but it would need the lights in order to be red. A notable time when it was lit red was during its inauguration on July 5th, 2012.

Zacian: Goes all in on being "The Cyan".

Zamazenta: Goes all in on being "The Magenta".

Eternatus: Dynamax energy is associated with the color red (red glow filter, red clouds, Max Raid dens shoot out a red beam & inside the floor & ceiling is red) so a Shiny Eternatus is completely red for emphasis.

Galarian Slowpoke: There are some weird mind games being played with the Galarian Slowpoke family. Starting with Slowpoke, it's simple. Since normal Slowpoke is completely one color and G-Slowpoke has the new yellow forehead detail, Shiny G-Slowpoke is made completely yellow as a reference. Okay.
  • Galarian Slowbro: Now you'd think they'd do something similar with G-Slowbro. But the thing is, G-Slowbro's new additional color is purple, which normal Shiny Slowbro also is (though a bit of a lighter shade). So Shiny G-Slowbro is just a darker purple normal Shiny Slowbro with a Shellder arm cannon? No. Get this: Shiny G-Slowbro's purple parts turn to the same shade of purple as normal Shiny Slowbro, and its pink body turns to the paler pink of normal Shiny SlowPOKE. :psynervous:

• Galarian Slowking: Finally, Shiny G-Slowking actually tries to match the changes with normal Shiny Slowking: Both Shiny's bodies are the same darker pink (disregarding Shiny G-Slowking's purple head and tail tip), The colored/darker stripes on their neck accesory has turned blue, and the gem on the Shellder crown has turned pink. :psywoke:

Galarian Weezing: Shiny looks to have either rusted (or possibly oxidized) or its redder tint is meant simulate what its normal color would look like under a haze of pollution.

Galarian Bird Trio: Do you really need me to tell you?... :blobglare:

Gigantamax Gengar: Now most Gigantamax Pokemon follow the Shiny coloring of their base form. But G-Gengar is the sole exception as, instead of a lighter shade of purple, it's white (or as much white as the red filter let's it be). This is obviously a holdover idea from Mega Gengar which Shiny is also white. Makes you wonder why they just don't make base Shiny Gengar white if its a better Shiny color for it!

Gigantamax Snorlax: Combining these two together as they do the same thing but in different ways. Most of the time when a Gigantamax form adds in some extra details, those details don't change for its Shiny form. BUT G-Snorlax and G-Garbodor are exceptions. G-Snorlax is more subtle, normal G-Snorlax looks to be in the Spring season with green leaf trees & pink flowers, but Shiny G-Snorlax is in the Autumn season with orange leaf trees and red flowers.
  • Gigantamax Garbodor: For G-Garbodor, the colors of the "toys" have changed. Notably, the blue airplane turns red, and considering the markings on the plane it seems to be a reference to Latios & Latias. Though I'll also point out a major missed opportunity: not changing the Clefairy Doll to resemble a Shiny Clefairy. That should have been a chef kiss detail right there.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
"Well this board has died down"
In retrospect, I think most of the reason this thread went inactive for a while was because of what I said about trying to avoid any sort of unconfirmed information in an effort to follow the thread posting rules. I wasn’t sure if the moderation team would have been open to me expanding the outlook here to inferred or theorized references, both of which might be more appealing to a casual audience reading this thread.

That being said, I’m not going to actively try and discourage anyone from posting like this, either. For what it’s worth, your posts were full of valuable information with a lot of evidence behind it all. Encouraging discussion about such topics I feel like is one of the better ways we can collectively learn to appreciate this franchise a bit more, one ‘Mon at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)