SM OU Showdown Series 2! OFFENSE HAIL TEAM?!?! This is insane! Aurora Veil is OP.

WHAT IS SHOWDOWN SERIES?

Showdown series is a series of teambuilding and batteling when i will make teams from all kind of tiers and post them. The series will be built out of something that you guys suggest me to do so please do enjoy this showdown series 2 :)

THE ICE KINGDOM

1515150379524.png

Hello guys and welcome back to showdown series 2! I Have faced a lot of these guys lately:
1515148218459.png
and i thought i wanted to make a team around it. Then i realized how few hail teams it actually is these days and i wanted to challenge myself. However the team is not 100% supported by the hail in general it`s more of a aurora veil team, however the team does benefit slightly from the hail in particular. My name is lenthi and this is showdown series 2! Let`s begin!

MERITS SO FAR

Top 8 OU GEN 7 Smogon Tournament

TEAM PREVIEW

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif
Sandslash-Alola_SM.gif
Gyarados-Mega_XY.gif
1515148715044.png
Volcarona_XY.gif
Tapu_Fini_SM.gif

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Started of with Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Sandslash because i think they pair and work well together.

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif-Sandslash-Alola_SM.gif

Next up i wanted a setup sweeper so i started of with a regular set on gyarados but as i decided that i wanted more setup sweepers i put taunt on it.

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif-Sandslash-Alola_SM.gifGyarados-Mega_XY.gif

I Needed one more fire coverage so volcarona was the one to go with. Now is the point where i put taunt on gyarados.

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif-Sandslash-Alola_SM.gif-Gyarados-Mega_XY.gif-Volcarona_XY.gif
I Needed something that could benefit a lot from aurora veil and multiscale dragonite was just something that i couldn`t say no to.

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif-Sandslash-Alola_SM.gif-Gyarados-Mega_XY.gif-Volcarona_XY.gif-1515148715044.png

Now i needed someone who could just get rid of all of the status conditions so for me tapu fini was the only option here.

Alolan_Ninetales_SM.gif-Sandslash-Alola_SM.gif-Gyarados-Mega_XY.gif-Volcarona_XY.gif-1515148715044.png-
1515151700341.png

It was not much more complicated then that. The team looked a bit messy before i played with it. But when i learnt how to use it the team was just insane.

Now most of you might think that the team looks extremely weird and like how are you going to win matches with this, and how is this balanced? Well maybe it`s not really a 100% balanced and struggles against stall teams but i`ll come to it. Let`s start off with Alolan Ninetales.

Alolan Ninetales

1515149293857.png

(Ice Queen) Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Hail

I Wanted a quick lead that can set up aurora veil for me which is this girl right here :) Now depending on what will happen, ninetales will most likely get the first move with aurora veil and then go on from there to see who will switch in. Now if for example excadrill switches in, then u can try and go for volcarona for instance volcarona is able to take a rock slide if it`s not a focus sash excadrill. However that just indicates how much volcarona benefits from this. Anyways it`s pretty much the same for mega gyarados and dragonite in this case as they can just go in and easily and calmly set up dragon dance and start sweeping. Then we have freeze-dry which works excellent against water types and other types weak to ice. Ice shard for priority against landorus-t for instance. And hail to setup hail once again. You don`t need much more then that from this queen in her throne.

Next up we have Alolan Sandslash:

Alolan Sandslash
1515149381849.png

(Ice King) Sandslash-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Aurora Veil
- Iron Head

This guy works almost just as excadrill actually which is pretty sick. The Ice King himself is in need of he`s partner Ice Queen as they share a great bond between each other. Attacks from excadrill or any other mon that threatens the queen, this guy will be mad for it and take care of. Because of the 2x speed this guy gets from the slush rush ability. Hail is the key for this guy to come through. Rapid spin works excellent for hazard removal. And Earthquake to punish those who dare try to kill the queen. Also it comes with a second aurora veil setter which benefits the whole team which is pretty nice. Then we have iron head which intends to deal with fairy types. Now because of sandslash poor special defense i put a focus sash on there so i can punish tapu koko for instance with iron head or earthquake. And also to survive a eventual switch in to get a fast rapid spin out just incase. The queen and The king shall have a unbreakable bond.

Moving on we have our first sweeper! Mega-Gyarados!

1515149899443.png

(Don`t steal my fish you stupid fisherman!)
(The Queens Monster) Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Waterfall

This monster is probably one of the keys to the team. With providing dragon dance for a speed boost and attack boost. It also provides crunch and waterfalls which are great stab moves adition to this guy. So ehhh no earthquake? Well i intended to remove crunch and replace with taunt and then have earthquake on the 3rd slot. Why do i have taunt? Well since half the team relies on setups, i thought taunt would be a fast response to toxapex so i can finish my setups in peace. Which is really important. Although it`s not a (Optimal set) It`s a key for the team to actually work in general. The queens monster is the unstopable monster that unleashes it`s inner strength whenever she calls for it.

Let`s move on to Dragonite!

DRAGONITE

1515150277637.png
1515150491222.png

(The Prince) Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

The Ice Prince dragonite is the next setup sweeper that provides dragon dance. Since gyarados mega doesn`t have earthquake or any ice move. I Thought i would make this my counter to landorus-t and sand teams in general. After atleast 2 dragon dances this guy should be good to go for a sweep if misty terrain is up from tapu fini. Dragon claw stab is obvious for me and i don`t want to confuse it. Leftovers is there for recovery. However i could actually go for a z-move here or what do you guys think? Maybe that`s the best after all? Earthquake to get rid of rock types like tyranitar that is a huge threat to the team, or you can use dragonite as a bait and try setup dragon dance. Ice punch just destroys all of the flying types and just schhhhes them down. The Prince is one of the queens ace cards which should be used wisely.

Moving on to Volcarona!

Volcarona

1515150730180.png

(The Guardian) Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona is the Ice Kingdoms guardian that provides people with warming fire so that you get this great balance. Fire blast is a great move that might lack a bit of accuracy but it`s fine if you have aurora veil and quiver dance up. However giga drain could also be the way of then recovering back lost hp to stay cool and sweep. Bugnium Z for that extra power but as i said i could swap that out. Also people might think that i should put substitute on this. Well i think that just takes time of what i really want to do which is setup and sweep. As long as aurora veil is up and i got my taunt supporters in my back, i should be able to attack atleast once on toxapex swap out to gyarados and finish with gyarados. All of these have a purpose of supporting each other. And dealing with sand teams and water teams is by using bug buzz and giga drain mainly, fire blast incase there`s a excadrill for example. It doesn`t need more or less then that. Nobody will escape volcaronas ice prison without a fight.

Now i only have 1 taunt user so what happens if someone makes a predict?
Well i think this is the key to it.

Let me introduce to you

Tappuuuuu
Fiiiiniiiiiiiii
1515151131748.png

(Ice Princess) Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Taunt
- Scald
- Haze
The cold but warm hearted Ice princess made of ice but thawed out and became what she is today they say. Well this set is the least optimal set that you can have for a tapu fini, but it`s all to mess up with stallers and hazers. Scald is there just to deal some damange. Haze is if we are in huge trouble and are in huge need of support for a stat reset. Then the princess will use all of her powers in order to restore the kingdom back. Trick is there to deal with toxapex and other walls like celesteela for instance, or ferrothorn. Trick is actually something that has worked really really well lately and i just love using it. Taunt is there to deal with toxapex so gyarados gets some free turns to setup or volcarona or dragonite eventually. Misty surge is also there supporting to avoid all of these ugly status conditions that people can throw at you. This princess is the key to the heart of the kingdom so use her wisely.

THREATS

OTHER WEATHER CONDITIONS

Sand teams and Rain teams especially is really annoying and can cause a lot of trouble but. I`m able to deal with it most of the times.
Tyranitar, and Pelipper. But i usually deal with them pretty well if i read them right, so nothings really impossible.

Also Mega-Sableye is annoying because it can taunt you and you cant taunt it back. Skarmory is also annoying with whirlwind. Or any kinds of roar users.

My Thoughts and what you should think about before using it/Commenting the team

The team is very much based on a highly individual skill level which you need to master in order to know which pokemon you should swap in or use. The sets are not exactly optimal which I`m aware of. But it`s all there for the team to go together. So if you have any suggestions that i could benefit of while not increasing other threats let me know! I´m open minded but i also do things a lot differently then the optimal sets that you can find on smogon.

Thank you everyone and i hope you are enjoying the showdown series so far! Leave me a pm if you need help with anything, have any questions or suggestions or just comment here on the forum thread.

//lenthi

IMPORTABLE

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Hail

Sandslash-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Aurora Veil
- Iron Head

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Waterfall

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Taunt
- Scald
- Haze

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)