Proposal Sleep in BW NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi,

I've been playing some BW2 NU in NUPL recently and while playing these games, it hit me: why aren't sleep moves banned? The fact is that (to my knowledge) all usage-based tiers in BW bar UU and NU already did ban sleep moves, and for good reasons: BW sleep mechanics are just completely broken. Hitting a Sleep Powder is basically an OHKO due to the fact that the sleep timer resets every time you switch out, and given the fast-paced nature of the typical BW meta (NU included), this means you will practically never get to wake up. Not only does this take one of your mons out of the game, but said mon can even be used as setup fodder for another threat if you're not careful. The mechanic is blatantly overtuned and should not have a place in a competitive metagame. Moreover, OU and RU banning sleep moves gives us more than sufficient precedent to do it.

The only line of argument I really see against a sleep ban would be that the meta doesn't have viable sleep users, but this is obviously not true for NU (and admittedly I think sleep moves in BW are OHKO-move levels of stupid and broken regardless of the quality of its users). While there may not be A-rank threats with access to sleep moves, the current B-ranks count no less than 5 Grass-types that can viable run Sleep Powder to take something out, which is especially dangerous on breakers that can take out whatever resists their coverage and then spam STAB moves for free progress for the rest of the game. I am also enough of a boomer to remember that this tier used to have Jynx before it was banned at the end of the gen, largely due to its ability to take out one mon with a fast Lovely Kiss and another with its excellent power and coverage. Perhaps a sleep ban would give us reason to resuspect Jynx, though personally I'm ambivalent on that. Fact of the matter is, in any case, that BW NU has a sordid history with sleep mechanics just like the other BW tiers and a sordid present as well, especially as people realize that a powerful Grass-type breaker with a 75% accurate OHKO button isn't such a bad thing to have.

Therefore, I propose a ban on Spore, Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, Yawn, Dark Void, Sleep Powder, Grass Whistle, Lovely Kiss & Sing, with a removal of Sleep Clause as it is pointless to have when there are no broken sleep moves left. I reckon the end of NUPL would be a good moment to have a vote on this, though I do not oppose an earlier vote either as it wouldn't excessively shake up the meta.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
can you provide some examples of sleep being broken in bw nu? there are no good pokemon in the tier that use sleep moves (unless you count hypnosis which nobody uses) . the closest would be exeggutor but that mon kinda sucks

it's kinda weird to see sleep being brought up when gems are much better and also banned by ou. i don't think either are worthy of a ban though

On my phone right now so forgive the less-than-stellar structure of this post, but I’d like to give my two cents on the subject seeing as I’m considered a BWNU main and a pretty good one at that (ignore my record in this tournament).
I’m of the opinion that Sleep should just be banned in every gen, which obviously won’t happen, but in BW in particular Sleep is very clearly ban worthy. Although there aren’t too many Sleep inducers in NU, we’ve seen an increase in usage from Vileplume (in both BW and DPP) in recent times and the counterplay to Sleep Powder is legitimately just picking something to die. Exeggutor doesn’t “suck” but it has fallen out of favor with different Alomomola abusers being less prone to Pursuit and U-turn vortexes, but again, Sleep counterplay is non-existent.
I’m not going to say it should be banned because I understand my opinion is a bit extreme and biased, but a Sleep ban in BW just makes sense and not much is lost from implementing it. I will say that Sleep moves will need to see way more results to even consider a ban but if they begin to get way more usage I 100% support one.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sleep isn't a big issue in BW NU since close to the only viable and reliable user is Butterfree, but that's also to say banning it wouldn't have a major impact to BW NU anyway. Meanwhile, we all know BW Sleep is bonkers. No loss there.
updating to say that by "reliable" I really just meant in the sense of near-perfect accuracy. Egg's 75 Sleep Powder, etc. is still pretty reliable but at least carries some risk for the user of missing.

I'm not exactly the forefront of BW NU, so although I have played this tier a decent amount take my opinion with a grain of salt, but sleep in general is quite uncompetitive. As Termi mentioned a good portion of the time your best route is to pick the least useful thing to die, as without good luck your Pokemon is basically dead and staying in to go for the wake up is very inconsistent. Counterplay to Sleep is pretty barren as well, basically consisting of Sleep Talk (inconsistent), Vital Spirit (niche and Primeape can't risk), and a faster Lum Berry (can be fine but rarely ideal). Citing the inconsistency of sleep moves could be another reason for a ban as well, as moves like Hypnosis have egregious risk-reward. IMO ban it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)