SM LC SM LC - "Visions" Mienfoo and Grimer Offense (Peak #27)

VISIONS

Hi I'm oibaf or little oibaf in ladder. I started to play this tier from oras and now I'm going to show a team built recently.
The main core of this team is Mienfoo + Grimer, the former can revenge kill many Pokémon thanks to High Jump Kick, while the latter can trap kill annoying Pokémon like Abra and Bulky Psychics. Then I put mudbray because it can check many physical threat and I really like to play it. Waters and Fairy pokemons was a problem so I decided to add ferroseed which can help against these threats and has stealth rocks. I tried various combinations in the last two slots, and decided I needed a Water type, because I was lacking good ways of dealing with Ground types, and wanted hazard removal too, so I went with Staryu, while Abra adds much needed damage to my team, which was a bit lacking in it at this point.

Black Diamond (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

It is able to clean an entire team with high jump kick+ reckless infact all pokemons that don't resist a fight move take 2HKO. The rest of moves are useful for take momentum, coverage (and knock off in this tier is so good), recovery and just for don't risk hjk miss. About evs spread... just like ou: 252 252+ (in this case 236 236+)

236 Atk Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 15-18 (62.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 15-18 (60 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mudbray: 15-18 (60 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Mudbray: 22-27 (88 - 108%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Visions (Grimer-Alola) @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

This is a classic pursuit set, very useful in this tier because it has a good attack and its ability give a good chance to poison the enemies. His main role is to pursuit abra and weak/ kill fairy pokemons. About evs spread... I took the main spread because I consider it the best for this pokemon.

Forever Free (Mudbray) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

This is a classic set with the purpose of do damages and check the most physical threats like doduo, mienfoo, grimer-alola or pawniard. Evs spread and moves are classic because I like how this pokemon can do many timer 2HKO at an entire team.

196+ Atk Mudbray Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 10-13 (47.6 - 61.9%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Doduo Brave Bird vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Mudbray: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Mudbray Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Doduo: 20-24 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The Kiss Of Judas (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

I choose this set because it give me utility moves like stealth rocks, leech seed and knock off, plus I have bullet seed to hit pokemons like staryu, onix and frillish.

Before The Winter (Staryu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

This set seems strange but I need hp fire and psychic respectively for ferroseed that can give me problems and croagunk that can sweep all my team if abra lost his focus sash and mudbray has low life; hydro pump is the main stab and rapid spin can help in case of annoying hazard stack. I decided to give rapid spin+ life orb without a recovery move because the stealth rocks are not so problematic.

The Abyss Of Your Eyes (Abra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Counter

Abra is one of the most threat of this meta. It is not a free set up for vullaby cause dazzling geam; grimer cannot trap kill it so easly cause counter and psychic can give some problems to all pokemon of this meta exept special walls like spritzee.

I noticed that shadow ball abra is not so useful because I have grimer's support. A not-tested option is hp fire> shadow ball abra and thunderbolt> hp fire staryu

Black Diamond (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Visions (Grimer-Alola) @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Forever Free (Mudbray) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

The Kiss Of Judas (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Before The Winter (Staryu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

The Abyss Of Your Eyes (Abra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Counter

THREATS:
I have not a solid resist of fight and ground pokemons, so I have to play around this problem with mienfoo/ staryu/ abra that can revenge kill.
Also spritzee is very annoying for this team because the only way to stop it is with ferroseed, grimer and mudbray but during the battle, many times these pokemons are weaked so I have to play around this.

shoutours to Team Darkness and "Castello di polpizia" chat

Last edited:
Hey, nice team! It's a bit Fighting and Flying weak however, which are two of the most prevalent types in the metagame right now. While you do have Abra and Mudbray for Fighting-types, Abra can be trapped by Grimer-Alola and taken out by Choice Scarf Mienfoo once its Focus Sash has been broken, and Mudbray can be quite easily worn down. Similarly, Flying-types can wear down your Flying checks with little trouble. To solve these problems I have some suggestions. I recommend using Foongus over Ferroseed along with Onix over Mudbray. Foongus gives you a solid switch-in to Fighting-types while still keeping the Grass typing your team needs, meanwhile Onix gives you a great Flying-type counter. I suggest you use the standard Foongus set with Hidden Power Fire for Ferroseed, and the standard Weak Armor Onix set as opposed to the Sturdy set because it turns Onix into a better Flying check and helps deal with the team's large Shellder weakness created by the changes (Onix can switch in on a Rock Blast from a boosted Shellder to then outspeed it).

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Onix @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Taunt

There's also a couple of minor suggestions I have, one being Energy Ball over Shadow Ball on Abra. This helps the team deal with Mudbray and Drilbur, which can be annoying with no Ground resist. Additionally I think you should use Ice Beam over Hidden Power Fire on Staryu. Ice Beam is crucial on Life Orb Staryu for hitting Grass-types like Pumpkaboo-Super, a common spinblocker which troubles both Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Abra without Shadow Ball. With Hidden Power Fire Foongus, Hidden Power is no longer needed on Staryu.

Hope this helped!

anyway I tried your changes and calm mind spritzee could be very annoying so I decided Clear smog over Hidden Power Fire on foongus and Hidden Power Fire over Ice beam on staryu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)