Resource SM OU Checks Compendium (BRMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Hosted with OrdA | Artwork thanks to Ssensenh | Thread approval by Gary | Special thanks to OU QC members for contributing to the compendium: Gary , p2 , Subject 18 , Finchinator , Hootie, bludz , TDK , Nedor . Taken over from dk .

What is the Checks Compendium?

The Checks Compendium was created by Agent Gibbs with the BRMT created by OrdA back in ORAS to show a visual representation of checking threats that are within the OU Metagame. This is done by building the team within the BRMT (Break My Team) builder and then finding threat levels based off of GSI (Guaranteed Switch-In), SSI (Situational Switch-In), or NSI (Non-Switch-In). From there the Compendium will show what offensive and defensive threats are most and least present for that team. These terms will be described in this post.

Break My Team (BRMT)

Thanks to OrdA the Checks Compendium is shown visually through the project known as Break My Team. Break My Team will visually show the sets that each Pokemon will potentially be using as well as its ranking with the OU Viability Ranking Threads. Bear in mind that some of the information is also borrowed from the Sun Moon Analyses, Role Compendium, and Sets Viability Rankings. Within the Compendium you would build your team at the very top. Afterwards, you would click on the "Break It" tab to see what offensive threats cause problems for your team while "Wall It" often shows defensive threats can be a problem for your team. Bear in mind that the information presented in this is not 100% accurate and does not guarantee that the player facing said threat will always auto-lose when facing that Pokemon.

Click on the image below to assess your team's strengths and weaknesses in the BRMT!

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Category Definitions

Credit Goes to OrdA for the definitions.

Check: Loosely defined, anything that reliably beats the threat. In this list, they are separated by how well they can switch into it. Checks will be divided into the following groups:
Guaranteed Switch-In
Can switch into the following moves:
  • Anything that's included (at least as a slash) on the threat's analysis page, in its main set.
  • Anything that's common enough to show up on the Threat's 1825 moveset statistics entry.
It may only be able to switch in one or two times, or may lose to some exotic coverage move (the ones not listed in the above).
The check is not subject to these limitations and can run whatever it likes. For example, low kick Bisharp is a GSI to Bisharp, since low kick isn't common enough to prevent Bisharp from switching in.

Situational Switch-In
Can switch in safely under certain circumstances, but not always. Can either switch into some variants of a threat but struggle against others, or struggles with common coverage moves but can at least switch into the STABs and other moves commonly used on switches (such as boosting moves and Knock Off).

Non-Switch-In
Basically: Just a check, not a counter. Cannot switch in safely, generally because they are beaten by one of the STABs, lose if they switch in on a boosting move, etc. Pokemon in this category can, however, defeat a threat in a 1-on-1 matchup. This includes faster revenge killers, as well as Pokemon that can take a single hit and KO back.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
To-Do List | Goals

• Update with relevant sets with their respective GSIs, SSIs, and NSIs.
  • Expand on a few sets (Celesteela has both a physically and specially defensive variation to their defensive sets and, thus, this should be accounted for).
  • Having better terminology to represent what the Pokemon is using (i.e. Tapu Bulu using Swords Dance, Magearna being Shift Gear, etc).
  • The goal is to attempt to keep up with relevant sets and threats while also being able to keep up with the OU Viability Ranking of each Pokemon. I will be working hard to update this since I know it is currently a bit behind.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Change Log

30/6/2017
  • Created updated thread with Orda adding Viability above the respective Pokemon.
4/7/2017
  • When selecting the Pokemon in the Team Builder it will automatically open the optional sets the Pokemon can use on the right hand side. This should help make the compendium look tidier while still showing the player options they have for specific sets on each Pokemon. This is listed by species.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Potential Updates

Note that no matter what all Pokemon will need to be re-evaluated with their GSIs, SSIs, and NSIs, so I will not list those if that is the case.

Landorus-Therian
- Create a Flyinium Z and a Rockium Z Landorus-T. Remove DD and Offensive Landorus-T. The decision to remove Double Dance may sound odd, but consider that Rockium is nothing more but Rock Polish or Knock Off as a filler slot over Stealth Rock.
- Defensive Landorus-T should just be called Defensive as it can run either Rocky Helmet (probably will be a little more relevant in the Lopunny meta) or Leftovers (currently the superior Landorus-T).
- Choice Scarf likely warrants no change.

Magearna
- Replace Choice Specs with Trick Room.
- Shift Gear should have no Z Crystal OR should be separated into Shift Gear with Z Focus Blast and Shift Gear Calm Mind.

Tapu Bulu
- Sets should be at minimum Swords Dance and Choice Band.

Celesteela
- Add Physically Defensive to the list (would swap some GSIs and NSIs around).

Zygarde
- May add Double Dance to the list.
- Dragon Dance does need attention as it lists Tangrowth as a GSI but in reality they can get blown back by +1 / +2 Devastating Drake. I realize I mentioned the whole GSIs and such will be looked at closely, but felt that definitely needed attention brought to it.

Heatran
- Revamp. Will add Substitute, Defensive, and Offensive.
- TENTATIVE - Choice Scarf, but considering its rarity and being able to share some of Offensive's stuff I'm unsure on it.

Mega Mawile
- Split into 4 Attacks and then Swords Dance

Garchomp
- Remove Rocky Helmet

Tapu Lele
- TENTATIVE - adding Z Move

Mew
- Replace Stallbreaker with Defensive.

Dugtrio
- TENTATIVE - I get that Dugtrio technically has no switch-in properties due to Arena Trap, but it would be wrong to say that Dugtrio isn't forced out by threats such as Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Gyarados.

Gengar
- Add Choice Specs

Tyranitar
- Remove Choice Scarf

Clefable
- Revamp to two sets - "Unaware" and "Magic Guard". I'd have to see more from WCoP and see if Calm Mind sets ever come back into play for these to re-add them.

Mega Scizor
- Replace "HP Ice" with "Utility".
- Rename "SD" to "Bulky SD" if possible.

Zapdos
- Call the second set "Defog" instead of Defensive.

Skarmory
- Remove SpD

Chansey
- Name "Wall" to match Skarmory and co.
- May add a variant that has Heal Bell instead of Toxic as it may change the dynamic of the GSIs and the like.

Pelipper
- Add Choice Specs

Hoopa-U
- TENTATIVE - may remove Life Orb considering Hoopa-U is just not in a good spot right now and even Specs / Scarf barely scrap positive results.

Marowak-A
- Split into Lightningrod and Rock Head.

Tapu Fini
- Add the garbage Calm Mind set

Mega Swampert
- Name to "SS" or "Swift Swim". I'll take into account that Stone Edge or Superpower can be used as a moveslot.

EDIT: All of these will likely be named "Offensive" or have a null within it

Kingdra
- Name to "Specs".

Weavile
- Probably should be named "Offensive". "band" may be more appropriate at this time.

Jirachi
- Remove SubToxic for now. If it sees usage in WCoP I may add it back in.

Kartana
- Add Choice Scarf

Kyurem-B
- Rename Z-Ice to "SubZ" maybe with Icium Z attached.
- Add Life Orb and Choice Band.

Thundurus
- Replace TW with Nasty Plot. Offensive can remain the same or just call it Nasty Plot.

Terrakion
- Remove Band.

Excadrill
- Just have Mold Breaker, Sand Rush, and Scarf listed. SpD is kind of rare.

Mega Slowbro
- Add Defensive. SSIs will have things that do not switch into Fire Blast Mega Slowbro as an example, though Defensive will also assume that Thunder Wave is potentially being used.

Suicune
- Add CroCune

Mega Manectric
- Rename to either "Offensive" or "Pivot".

Mega Charizard X
- TENTATIVE - Remove Bulky, though in fairness it did win a game in WCoP so perhaps we may need to keep it. We'll see after Week 1.

Slowbro
- Just rename to "Def".

Porygon-Z
- People still use this?. Probably will swap out Z Electric to Z Ghost.

Azumarill
- Name to "Belly Drum".
- Probably scrap Sap Sipper Azumarill... so long as Tele stays banned I'm not sure anyone would use it over Toxapex. Guess it does hard check Tapu Bulu. Meh.

Starmie
- Remove Bulky.

Manaphy
- Contemplating how to handle this one because Z Rain Dance could be a separate set, but Tail Glow + 3 probably should be a separate set. One of those unexplored mons.

Buzzwole
- Substitute and probably add Roost + 3 Attacks later on (we'll see if it's used when Mega Lopunny drops).

Kabutops
- Rename to "SS" or "Swift Swimmer".

EDIT: All of these will likely be named "Offensive" or have a null within it

Breloom
- Honestly I just want to call it "Offensive" but considering Swords Dance is often used alongside it I guess it's fair to keep it named SD.

Gliscor
- Just make it SubToxic.

Mega Aerodactyl
- Rename to "Offensive". "Cleaner" I guess kind of works, but eh.

Quagsire
- "Def" might be more aptly named for it, but Quagsire does often use Curse in this set so I may just leave it alone.

Cofagrigus
- Since no Defensive set is used at this time, we'll just call it "Trick Room".

Thundurus-Therian
- Rename to "Agility".

Hawlucha
- Rename to "SD". I'd like to incorporate that it uses a Seed here, so probably will have the Electric Seed icon if possible.

Crawdaunt
- Either rename to "Offensive" or split into "band" and "Swords Dance".

Mega Sceptile
- Rename to "Offensive". No one is using Leech Seed.

Bronzong
- Likely rename to "Trick Room". To be honest defensive Bronzong is ungood and it's still okay on Trick Room teams.

Victini
- Rename to "band". May add "lo" or "Offensive" or whatever the fuck else that Victini should probably use.

ANY POKEMON NOT LISTED IN THE OU VR WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CHECKS COMPENDIUM UNTIL THEY ARE RE-RANKED. THIS IS FOR THOSE POKEMON THAT HAVE A ? OVER THEIR NAME (Xurkitree, Blissey, Shedinja).

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I have decided to write-up the potential updates that will be made to the Compendium. Bear in mind that these are not final, and they likely will take a week+ to get them all completed as I have to sit down, revamp some of the Pokemon's GSIs and the like.

They are listed above in this post.

You are more than free to help ask question and provide suggestions to help make the Compendium more accurate. Bear in mind that a lot of mons have not quite accurate GSIs, SSIs, and NSIs so try not to focus on those particular errors too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: BM

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Ive decided to drop the project after failure to display results. My apologies, but I have not been able to really focus as of late and feel that someone else should commit to this.

Tagging OrdA just so he is aware and notifying Gary to lock. I will say that RedxThree has done some of the compendium so far, so may be worthwhile to see if he is interested in taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)