Resource SM OU Checks Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

approved by some mod at some point | artwork by D_what | previous ORAS OU thread OrdA hosted can be found here

Overview:

The Checks Compendium is a resource that aims to visually detail how Pokemon relevant to SM OU's metagame are kept in check by other Pokemon. The aim of this tool is to provide users with both a database of sorts for various checks and counters present within the SM OU metagame as well as aid in teambuilding by diagnosing obvious team weaknesses from an on-paper perspective.

Credits go to OrdA for writing the Checks Compendium resource (brmt) in its entirety. The contents of the compendium, or the text-based compendium used to generate it, essentially, was done by myself with some help from OU C&C QC members like Gary, p2, and Finchinator.

The purpose of this thread is to both provide exposure for this resource as well as gather community input on the content of the compendium's entries. If you have changes you would like to suggest, this is the place to post about them.​

Break My Team / brmt:

OrdA's Break My Team or brmt project is where the Checks Compendium is hosted—his page features an interactive team weakness diagnostic tool where the relative weaknesses of a team will be generated based on the contents of the compendium as well as a list of every compendium entry (click on "Configure Threatlist" at the top right, then click "Show as Checks Compendium").

Keep in mind that the weakness diagnostic's purpose is not to provide an absolute display of what threatens a given team, as factors like general counterplay exist, but rather to give a general idea of what could trouble a team from the perspective of lacking checks.​

(click the above image to go to the brmt site)

Category Definitions (GSI, SSI, NSI):

Do note that I did not perfectly adhere to these definitions when making the compendium, as there are a lot of instances where following them exactly would lead to particularly misleading entries.

GSI or Guaranteed Switch-in: can switch into the Pokemon and win 1v1 the overwhelming majority of the time. Unless sub-optimal, obscure coverage is ran, any Pokemon under this category should be able to switch-in and outright KO or eventually KO the Pokemon in question. Note that this category does not typically account for relative longevity of a Pokemon (Landorus-T is obviously less sustainable as a physical blanket check than Hippowdon, for example, but both have similar interactions with Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X when healthy) and assumes the switch-in is healthy. The potential presence of Spikes or Toxic Spikes is not accounted for for GSIs. GSIs may also only be able to switch in once or twice, or they may be able to continually wall for the entirety of a match.

SSI or Situational Switch-in: can switch into the Pokemon and win 1v1 generally. SSIs typically deal with the Pokemon in question's STAB moves sufficiently well but may outright lose to coverage or simply struggle significantly more to check a threat when it is running a specific move. Note that SSIs may actually be less reliable checks to certain threats due to their reliance on hoping a certain threat does not carry the appropriately threatening coverage (for example, Toxapex is an SSI for Volcarona because it loses to Psychium and Psychic variants. SSIs are considered more reliable by the weakness checking algorithm, but in this case, Toxapex is technically a less consistent check to Volcarona than Choice Scarf Terrakion, which OHKOs all variants at +1).

NSI or Non-Switch-in: cannot safely switch into the Pokemon decently a majority of the time. Switching an NSI into a given Pokemon safely is typically either very prediction-reliant or borderline impossible in the case of numerous wallbreakers. NSIs typically threaten to KO the Pokemon in question through speed, power, coverage, or priority.​

Last edited:
To-Do List:

>Update according to Baton Pass ban (delete Necrozma and BP Scoli)
>Add Tectonic Rage Dugtrio (make sure to specify that it traps Medicham)
>Revise Auto-Celest checks (add Chansey, possibly add a separate set for physical Autotomize)
>Add 3 Atks Slowbro to relevant entries (Zygarde)
>Add Ice Beam Mew
>Edit Scizor sets since SD is hardly relevant
>Remove Clef from Alakazam checks since Calm is rare
>Add OTR Magearna
>Revise Magearna in general (possibly remove Specs Magearna)
>Rename/revise Kyurem-B
>Add CM Tapu Fini
>Rename Amoonguss to SpD
>Change Mega Mawile entry to reflect that EQ is needed on Heracross to decently RK it
>Add Mega Lopunny, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Mega Gallade, and Marshadow for funsies
>Fix Lele not showing up under SSI for Latios (LO/Specs)

Last edited:
Just gonna make a quick post saying that BP Scoli, as well as mons that have been removed from the VR should probably be removed, mainly the stuff that dropped from the VR cause of the BP ban.

Z EQ Duggy should also be on over CB Duggy seeing how it's more viable and used more often.

Psychium Volc could also be added to the list as well, unless that's headed under firium.

I personally think that heatran should have more variation to it, like what has been done w/ lando(as in having different checks for offensive/defensive/z-move)

IMHO just fine-tuning the mons that have already been listed should gain top priority over adding sets that are less used albeit still viable(In this case refining Defensive Pelipper before adding Specs Pelipper)

Last edited:
Just gonna make a quick post saying that BP Scoli, as well as mons that have been removed from the VR should probably be removed, mainly the stuff that dropped from the VR cause of the BP ban.

Z EQ Duggy should also be on over CB Duggy seeing how it's more viable and used more often.

Psychium Volc could also be added to the list as well, unless that's headed under firium.

I personally think that heatran should have more variation to it, like what has been done w/ lando(as in having different checks for offensive/defensive/z-move)
yeah i added that stuff to my to-do list

psychium volc is reflected under "z-move qd"--firium qd is no longer its own set in the compendium but is covered by that entry

heatran is super customizable so i just tried my best with the offensive entry to account for what seems popular. once the meta settles we'll probably have a much more standardized heatran, possibly like oras's max hp max speed plume/toxic/taunt/sr tran

Thanks for posting, and apologies for the delay. dk pretty much had this done in early March, but had to wait for me to finish coding brmt.

Here's a short how-to for the tool.

To input your team:
- type in part of a pokemon name to search for it
- press Enter to add the first result to your team
- adding a pokemon that's already on it will remove it instead
Or:
- click on a pokemon to bring up its compendium entry
- click any pokemon in that popup to add / remove it from the team

You can select configure threatlist -> show as checks compendium to see the compendium in the style you're used to from when the idea was first invented by Agent Gibbs

Last edited:
Update Changes:

>Mega Manectric entry added; was added in other entries where appropriate
>Mega Tyranitar (Dragon Dance) entry added; was added in other entries where appropriate
>Tapu Koko (Choice Scarf) entry added; was added in other entries where appropriate
>Tapu Koko (??) changed to Tapu Koko (Offensive); this set covers Zap Plate, Magnet, Wise Glasses, and most sets in that vein
>Protean Greninja (Choice Scarf)'s appearance in certain entries was removed to reflect the fact that only three moves on it are staples (U-turn, Ice Beam, and Rock Slide); previously, the compendium assumed Greninja could run five or six moves which is unrealistic, obviously; now, only Pokemon Choice Scarf Greninja can revenge kill with the three extremely common moves on it (U-turn, Ice Beam, and Rock Slide) have it listed under their NSI category
>Lati@s was added to both Volcarona entries under SSI; Psyshock variants will beat non-Bug Buzz, non-Firium-Z variants a good portion of the time or at least leave it prone to being revenge killed by priority or a 101+ Choice Scarf user (if Psyshock Latios is a Choice Scarf user, it can 1v1 non-Bug Buzz, non-Firium-Z variants every time if moderately healthy)

I've sent the updated compendium text to Orda, but it has not been implemented at the time of this post. If you'd like use the updated compendium, copy the contents of this hastebin, click on "Show Builddata" in the upper right, and then replace the contents of the box that pops up with what you copied from the hastebin. Afterwards, click "rebuild compendium" and it should be updated. Note that it will not save if you close the tab.

Edit: brmt is up to date. No need to manually copy/paste!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)