Metagame SM PU Alpha (playable on PS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
I feel like it's been a while since I've seen someone post in this thread so I wanted to post a couple sets that I've been using in spec games to some success.
Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Surf / Tri Attack

So, I've been hyping this in the chat quite a bit in the PU room, and for what I consider to be good reason, it's really good. A scarfer that is faster than and beats most other scarfers. Ice Beam hits Leafeon and Chatot, Flamethrower hits Rotom-F, Shadow Ball beats Mr. Mime (Silvally's bulk even allows it to live a Focus Blast from full so it can 2HKO!!!) and other fast Pokemon are hit by its coverage. It also offers fast pivoting and team support with Scarf Parting Shot. Silvally's movepool is so wide that really any of these moves can be slashed for another, but as Mime, Chatot, Rotom, and Leafeon are the most popular scarf users I figured this would probably be the best set for it but his insane coverage options means you can change things to fit whatever your team is weak to.

Komala @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Frustration
- Wood Hammer

I absolutely love this thing. Especially with pivot support from Silvally, this guy can actually find a lot of opportunities to set up. EVs are to outspeed Adamant Golem, bring it down to Sturdy with Wood Hammer then pick it off with Sucker. This set is walled by Gourgeist however, so I've been fooling around with other moves like Shadow Claw, though I'd rather have the other moves. As it can't be burned, this little guy still does fairly well against Gourgeist sets without Leech Seed. I normally have been seeing bulky Rapid Spin or offensive SD sets for this, but Bulk Up can really help break through certain things while still being bulky enough to take hits.

Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Surf

This guy is actually really cool. Nasty Plot makes it a really potent sweeper, and if you have Electric Terrain support, it's faster than basically anything in the meta that doesn't have several speed boosts. Alternatively, it can be run with Psychic Terrain support to avoid the Shadow Sneaks and Sucker Punches that would otherwise do severe damage to it if not KO it because of how frail it is. I use this thing's Z-Move a lot against things that I know I wouldn't be able to KO, but the 100% paralysis that Stoked Sparksurfer has will let my next Pokemon more easily take care of it. Can run HP Ice over Surf but Surf hits stuff a lot harder and

So yeah, just a few fun things I've been using and wanted to share since we're possibly getting a new spec list soon. Hopefully all these mons will be on it.

Last edited:
Thought I'd explain a very briefly few Pokemon that got changed and my views.

Dodrio with 110 Speed, Swords Dance, and Jump Kick
Probably rising to NU

At long last, Dodrio has an answer to Rock and Steel types that normally walled it before, and with Swords Dance it's an utter monster capable of destroying nearly anything in its sight with +2 attack. This won't stay for long, I'm afraid.

Lurantis
Unranked trash
Poor man's Servine with ridiculously low speed. Outclassed in almost every way and virtually no reason to use it.

Lycanroc-Midnight
NOT a PU Pokemon

Lycanroc may be a lot slower with a bit more "bulk" to trade from the slightly superior Midday form, but I wholeheartedly disagree with tossing this awful Pokemon in. 82 speed with Stealth Rock is much better than it sounds and combined with a 100% Stone Edge I don't see it dropping past RU.

Tsareena
Junk

With a shallow movepool, an inability to deal with Gourgeist, Haunter, Dusclops, etc, and a very mediocre speed leaves a lot to be desired, but it does get Rapid Spin, which is neat.

Crabominable
Meh

Neat, we got another Fighting type, though its slow speed and horrendous typing leaves more to be done with it. I need more testing with this before I can conclude my thoughts.

Persian-A
CORRCTION. It is not as bad as I initially thought

Unlike its white coated brethren, Persian-A can do a better job then on paper due to Z-Parting Shot and being able to sponge hits with Fur Coat, on top of its high speed AND Nasty Plot. I see this doing much better than I initially thought.

My thanks to Taskr for clearing this up for me.

Masquerain with +20 Special Attack and +20 Speed
NOT RISING TO NU

My apologies on this extensive post.

Initially one of the worst Pokemon in the tier, with an awful typing, a lack of speed and solid power, even after Quiver Dance, its few strengths such as its godly coverage were quickly outshined by other Quiver Dancers, and for a while, it was debated to be one of the worst Pokemon in the tier. All that changed with its stat buffs. With a good speed and much better firepower, Masquerain is finally able to put its good coverage to use. With +1 speed, it outspeeds almost all of the unboosted tier and it can really make quick work out of Pokemon that once walled it now. It's still an awful Sticky Web setter, that job remains Leavanny and Ariados' niche, but I'm glad to see my favorite Pokemon is now a high threat in the tier.

HOWEVER IT DOES NOT BELONG IN NU.

I really want to explain why. Although Masq looks broken on paper, it isn't exactly going to overgeneralize the game and force weird choices and Stealth Rock. Masq suffers from easily the worst typing possible for a sweeper, and a x4 weakness to Stealth Rock hurts its vulnerability. Although it no longer needs Sash to function, it still has issues facing Electric types, which Masq can't land a super effective hit on, but they can return it. Zebstrika, Electrode, and even Electabuzz can outspeed Masquerain before it boosts and eliminate it from there. Physical attackers are also big issues, due to Masquerain's disgusting 60 defense and can easily OHKO it from there. Encore users can completely lock Masquerain into a single move or Quiver Dance and punish from there as well.

so, uh, yeah. Masq is probably going to be a mid-high tier threat.

Last edited:

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Thought I'd explain a very briefly few Pokemon that got changed and my views.

Dodrio with 110 Speed, Swords Dance, and Jump Kick
Probably rising to NU

At long last, Dodrio has an answer to Rock and Steel types that normally walled it before, and with Swords Dance it's an utter monster capable of destroying nearly anything in its sight with +2 attack. This won't stay for long, I'm afraid.

Lurantis
Unranked trash
Poor man's Servine with ridiculously low speed. Outclassed in almost every way and virtually no reason to use it.

Lycanroc-Midnight
NOT a PU Pokemon

Lycanroc may be a lot slower with a bit more "bulk" to trade from the slightly superior Midday form, but I wholeheartedly disagree with tossing this awful Pokemon in. 82 speed with Stealth Rock is much better than it sounds and combined with a 100% Stone Edge I don't see it dropping past RU.

Tsareena
Junk

With a shallow movepool, an inability to deal with Gourgeist, Haunter, Dusclops, etc, and a very mediocre speed leaves a lot to be desired, but it does get Rapid Spin, which is neat.

Crabominable
Meh

Neat, we got another Fighting type, though its slow speed and horrendous typing leaves more to be done with it. I need more testing with this before I can conclude my thoughts.

Persian-A
CORRCTION. It is not as bad as I initially thought

Unlike its white coated brethren, Persian-A can do a better job then on paper due to Z-Parting Shot and being able to sponge hits with Fur Coat, on top of its high speed AND Nasty Plot. I see this doing much better than I initially thought.

My thanks to Taskr for clearing this up for me.

Masquerain with +20 Special Attack and +20 Speed
NOT RISING TO NU

My apologies on this extensive post.

Initially one of the worst Pokemon in the tier, with an awful typing, a lack of speed and solid power, even after Quiver Dance, its few strengths such as its godly coverage were quickly outshined by other Quiver Dancers, and for a while, it was debated to be one of the worst Pokemon in the tier. All that changed with its stat buffs. With a good speed and much better firepower, Masquerain is finally able to put its good coverage to use. With +1 speed, it outspeeds almost all of the unboosted tier and it can really make quick work out of Pokemon that once walled it now. It's still an awful Sticky Web setter, that job remains Leavanny and Ariados' niche, but I'm glad to see my favorite Pokemon is now a high threat in the tier.

HOWEVER IT DOES NOT BELONG IN NU.

I really want to explain why. Although Masq looks broken on paper, it isn't exactly going to overgeneralize the game and force weird choices and Stealth Rock. Masq suffers from easily the worst typing possible for a sweeper, and a x4 weakness to Stealth Rock hurts its vulnerability. Although it no longer needs Sash to function, it still has issues facing Electric types, which Masq can't land a super effective hit on, but they can return it. Zebstrika, Electrode, and even Electabuzz can outspeed Masquerain before it boosts and eliminate it from there. Physical attackers are also big issues, due to Masquerain's disgusting 60 defense and can easily OHKO it from there. Encore users can completely lock Masquerain into a single move or Quiver Dance and punish from there as well.

so, uh, yeah. Masq is probably going to be a mid-high tier threat.
Hi.

Nice post but i wanted to elaborate on some of the mons you talked about:

At first glance, Lurantis may seem sorely outclassed by Servine as you say. Much lower speed and lower bulk without Eviolite do make Servine a better Contrary abuser no question. However Lurantis has 1 great niche over Servine in Defog. Defog allows Lurantis to function as a great option for offensive hazard removal as it can switch in on and immediately pressure a lot of potential rockers PU might receive this gen like Carracosta, Rhydon, Torterra, Sandslash, Golem, Regirock, etc. This would make Lurantis a more offensive option similar to Vibrava for teams weak to EdgeQuake that need hazard removal. I do think we will end up with this mon as its low speed and average bulk leave it quite vulnerable in the volatile NU metagame but I don't think it will be Unranked Trash.

Lycanroc Midnight has a few cool things going for it but unfortunately i just think its sorely outclassed by things NU is going to get. In terms of Suicide Lead/Offensive Rock sets it is completely outclassed by the likes of Tyrantrum, Rhyperior, Shuckle, Alolan Golem, its prettier cousin Lycanroc Midday, and Aerodactyl/Archeops in particular with their shared access to Taunt and Rocks. In terms of breaking sets like SD or Band, it's outclassed by Rhyperior, Kabutops, Tyrantrum, Minior, etc. It's poor coverage and subpar attack in some cases and slower speed in others compared to its competitors outweigh its No Guard Stone Edge completely. I expect this thing to fall at the very least to NU but definitely not RU like you suggest as it's already gotten minimal usage on the RU alpha ladder.

Tsareena has already established itself as a great spinner in the upper tiers particularly in RU where it is currently sitting from usage. This mon's decent defensive typing, access to support options in Trop Kick, Rapid Spin, and U-turn, a powerful fighting move in High Jump Kick, and workable 72/98/98 bulk let it come in and spin on common rockers including but not limited to: Registeel, Diancie, Gigalith, Donphan, and Seismitoad. On top of this, it can run much more offensive sets like Scarf, Z Splash, or just AoA. Thanks to it's fun little ability in Queenly Majesty, Tsareena is a bit harder to revenge as it is immune to priority. All of these assets make Tsareena a versatile mon that has established itself as a solid option in the RU metagame. Therefore I don't expect this thing to ever drop to PU without some significant shifts in metagame trends.

I agree with the rest of your thoughts on each mon but I justed wanted to point out a few things I feel like you missed in your reasonings.

Last edited:
NEW SPECULATIVE LIST (made with community input via the survey above)

Added Pokemon:
-Piloswine
-Hariyama
-Machoke
-Carracosta
-Granbull
-Victreebel
-Vigoroth
-Barbaracle
-Ambipom
-Togetic
-Primeape
-Regirock
-Haunter
-Pinsir
-Poliwrath
-Exeggutor-Alola
-Golem-Alola
-Passimian
-Torterra

Removed Pokemon:
-Comfey
-Tsareena
-Zangoose
-Pyukumuku

Barbaracle and Carracosta could be interesting, with shell smash as a late-game sweeper. Machoke will be more manageable with the confusion nerf from dynamic punch. Exeggutor-Alola could be great on Trick Room because most non-fairy or non-steel pokemon drop to a Draco Meteor. Golem Alola would be interesting with galvanize explosion.
Ambipom is probably going to be better than it was in ORAS RU. Super Fake Out is interesting, but that is probably the only thing Ambipom has over other normal types. Ambipom as a revenge killer?

Hey guys!

I would also like to throw my two cents on the last few commented pokés!

About Dodrio, when people start realizing that is almost a mini Staraptor, it will rise heavily on usage and it will be RU at worst, since it is faster, and it can nuke a few things with Z-BB (I personally think Z-Flying is the best offensive Z-Move). Also can demolish stall with SD-Sub Sets, since Flying-Fighting does have pretty good coverage for just two moves.

With Lurantis, I kinda agree with both of you guys... while a Grass typed hazard remover (besides Tsareena, which will not be PU for sure IMO) is pretty much exclusive to Lurantis; it will not be enough for it. Servine is bulkier and faster and is still mediocre on the current metagame. Then add some power creep for the mix, and you will see how bad are things for Lurantis... probably will roam around C on viability being a niche thing that can Defog and doesn't suffer that much against Knock Off I guess (at least not as much as Vibrava, Vullaby, Prinplup and Servine).

Lycanroc Night will be PU... Fast rockers are not much of a need for PU, and while No Guard Stone Edge coming from STAB 115 base attack will hurt, it is pretty much outclassed on higher tiers for a lot of things... however in PU it can shine, especially against bulky - stallish teams that are prone to be setup on or taunted.

I feel that Crabominable might also be kept on NU... sure it's typing is just pathetic defensively, but it's SOOOO freaking good offensively... Choice Band does have almost no switch ins, and sure, 185 speed fully investment it's really sad, but things like Beheeyem have even less and can work decently. Also, with more decent TR Setters, Crabominable will tear offensive teams apart. Also, 97/77/67 isn't THAT bad bulk to handle neutral hits and deal absurd damage back.

Masquerain will be now a threat, but not a really dominant one. 100 SpA, 80 Spe and really decent coverage will make it the best QDancer for PU, but what it will be keeping it from making a huge impact is that massive SR weakness. 70/62 Physical bulk + Intimidate is more than enough to ensure setup using bulky variants (for those, I would use around 64 EVs on speed, enough to reach 212 Spe, to outpace +45 fully invested pokés before setup and base 95 after a QD, while leaving a fair amount of bulk and pretty interesting coverage on Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump/Scald + Roost), since those will be pretty much designed to beat shit like Leafeon and new fighting types like Machoke. However, after Rocks it can't do what is supposed to do and that means massive support for it to work efficiently.

About BL pokés, Machoke will be a nice add to our tier and now it will be pretty healthy for Bulky teams and Carracosta will also be kinda manageable but surely a top tier mon again. Barbaracle on the other side will be again a little bit too much for the tier IMO unless we get our dearly loved Poliwrath. N-Eggy and A-Eggy will probably land here, and now they might be kept here as a few scarfers can handle both of them even after Chlorophyll on N-Eggy case (Base +80 Scarfers like Passimian will outpace and deal heavy damage to Eggy with U-Turn unless it is Timid Chloro Eggy, which will lose a good amount of power).

Finally, those new A-Pokés like A-Golem and A-Raticate will be kinda mediocre. Electric-Rock is a decent offensive typing, but A-Golem is too slow to use it and while Galvanize will make it hit REALLY hard, it will lose then the utility to setup rocks easily with Sturdy. I feel it will be kinda iffy... the only one that could potentially be good is A-Persian and I feel it might be a little bit too god for PU and will probably land on NU (Snarl, Fur Coat, Z-Parting Shot, really fast support, etc).

See ya guys!

Last edited:

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, Lurantis should not be compared to Servine, even if they are similar because they both have Contrary + Leaf Storm.

Lurantis should fit better as an (semi)offensive defogger. A LO set with Leaf Storm / HP Fire / Defog / Synthesis would be decent.

In my opinion, Lurantis should not be compared to Servine, even if they are similar because they both have Contrary + Leaf Storm.

Lurantis should fit better as an (semi)offensive defogger. A LO set with Leaf Storm / HP Fire / Defog / Synthesis would be decent.
I kinda think it'll be better as a fully Specially Defensive mon, but add it Leaf Storm and it can become quite a threat in endgame. That's how I played it before changes and it worked quite well. As Rennyjesus stated it can tank some Koffs better than other defoggers, but don't ask too much of his physical bulk, it's fair but sadly that's all.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
As the Speculation PU Meta comes more and more developed, Trick Room teams are becoming much more popular and effective than I could have ever expected. I'd like to first apologize to Guan123 who I attempted to refute why Trick Room teams had not gotten better with the new generation. I'd like to retract those statements. Trick Room has with doubt gotten stronger as for the new generation.

Main Reasons why Trick Room has gotten better
  • We got a whole slew of hard-hitting but relatively slow Pokemon
  • These include, but are not limited to:
    • Golem-Alolan, Exegutor-Alolan, Crabominable, Aggron, Gumshoos Hariyama, Granbull, and Torterra
    • Crabominable and Exeggutor-Alolan are particular dangerous under TR
      • Crabominable has great Offensive coverage in Close Combat, Ice Hammer, and Earthquake, none of which hamper its HP, meaning it can continue to slice through the opponents team like a hot knife through butter
      • Exeggutor-Alolan has the options to go both Physical and Special and the opponent will usually have to fodder something off just to see what set it is. Not only that, but its one of the few offensive TR Pokemon to learn the move itself!
  • Old TR abusers now get a chance to shine
    • Beheeyem, Rampardos, Duosion, Cacturne, Lampent, Gorebyss, and Kingler
  • The metagame has gotten bulkier.
    • For Example: Upwards of 35% of all teams during the PU Speculation tour run some Silvally-Forme, in part due to its 95/95/95 bulk.

Last edited:
Hey, I just wanted to dump a couple of teams I have been using in the new spec meta that work pretty well.

Spike Stack ft. New Monkeys

Venipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Toxic Spikes

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

So this team is built around the idea of Ambipom+T-Spikes which can be annoying for a lot of teams to deal with. Piloswine was added for Rocks and the ability to check Flying/Electric types, Mawile breaks bulkier teams and is somewhat of a normal resist. Primeape is a nice new addition to the tier with a good ability for this team in Defiant, deterring Defog whilst acting as a good revenge killer. Lastly Misdreavus is there for spin-block plus the abilty to beat Vigoroth 1v1.

SD Pinsir Bulky Offense

Pinsir @ Buginium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

Golem-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Galvanize
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

SD Buginium-Z Pinsir is actually a really cool mon with a very limited amount of counters and can beat stall pretty easily as +2 Savage Spin Out can OHKO Quagsire due to Mold Breaker and can also bop Bronzor with EQ. Alolan Golem is a nice partner as it can come in on the Fire and Flying types aimed at Pinsir and also break with powerful attacks. Torterra gives me a good edge/quake resist and a volt switch immunity whilst being able to Stealth Rock. Togetic is the Defogger being able to counter mons like Leafeon whilst slowing other pokemon down with Thunder Wave. Haunter revenge kills and Grumpig acts as a ice/psychic resist.

Nasty Pass Togetic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Haunter @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave

Golem-Alola @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Stealth Rock

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Boomburst

This team is possibly my favourite out of the three, the aim is to pass Nasty Plot boosts with Togetic to one of the recipients and break/sweep the opposing team. Ghostium Z Haunter is nice bc there isn't a lot of good Ghost resists in the tier so if it gets the +2 boost then it usually gets a kill every time. Poliwrath was next as it gives me a good check to Pawniard and overall being a good recipient too, Alolan Golem helps out vs flying types and Poison types like Muk that might threaten Togetic whilst also having Rocks. Claydol is the electric immunity and Spinner and finally Chatot is the cleaner which makes for a great recipient as it can often sweep with a +2 boost if all Steel/Ghost types are gone.

These teams are far from perfect with all the new threats about but they're pretty fun to use so feel free to try them out.

Last edited:
Hey, I just wanted to dump a couple of team's I have been using in the new spec meta that work pretty well.

Venipede @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Toxic Spikes

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

So this team is built around the idea of Ambipom+T-Spikes which can be annoying for a lot of teams to deal with. Piloswine was added for Rocks and the ability to check Flying/Electric types, Mawile breaks bulkier teams and is somewhat of a normal resist. Primeape is a nice new addition to the tier with a good ability for this team in Defiant, deterring Defog whilst acting as a good revenge killer. Lastly Misdreavus is there for spin-block plus the abilty to beat Vigoroth 1v1.

SD Pinsir Bulky Offense

Pinsir @ Buginium Z
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Torterra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Togetic @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

SD Buginium-Z Pinsir is actually a really cool mon with a very limited amount of counters and can beat stall pretty easily as +2 Savage Spin Out can OHKO Quagsire due to Mold Breaker and can also bop Bronzor with EQ. Alolan Golem is a nice partner as it can come in on the Fire and Flying types aimed at Pinsir and also break with powerful attacks. Torterra gives me a good edge/quake resist and a volt switch immunity whilst being able to Stealth Rock. Togetic is the Defogger being able to counter mons like Leafeon whilst slowing other pokemon down with Thunder Wave. Haunter revenge kills and Grumpig acts as a ice/psychic resist.

Nasty Pass Togetic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Haunter @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave

Golem-Alola @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Stealth Rock

Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Boomburst

This team is possibly my favourite out of the three, the aim is to pass Nasty Plot boosts with Togetic to one of the recipients and break/sweep the opposing team. Ghostium Z Haunter is nice bc there isn't a lot of good Ghost resists in the tier so if it gets the +2 boost then it usually gets a kill every time. Poliwrath was next as it gives me a good check to Pawniard and overall being a good recipient too, Alolan Golem helps out vs flying types and Poison types like Muk that might threaten Togetic whilst also having Rocks. Claydol is the electric immunity and Spinner and finally Chatot is the cleaner which makes for a great recipient as it can often sweep with a +2 boost if all Steel/Ghost types are gone.

These teams are far from perfect with all the new threats about but they're pretty fun to use so feel free to try them out.
Hey Taskr! They might not be perfect teams, but we can lend a hand to improve them (and in general I feel they are pretty decent).

About the first one, this was IMO the "Less Fun" to use, because even with Defiant Primeape and Missy to spinblock, it's really hard to keep Tspikes on the field. Prinplup, Vullaby and Togetic are pretty troubling to Primeape too, because even if ape user predicts the Defog, scarf monkey can't OHKO any of them and in return they can severely dent it with Scald, Foul Play/Brave Bird and Dazzling Gleam respectively. Another thing about Missy is that Cryo and Sandslash are both troubling for her spin blocking because of fast toxic and Knock Off respectively which will cripple it.

Also, Mawile can't check normal with that set because the most relevant normal (Stoutland) can outspeed and 2HKO it even with Return. I think that maybe changing Mawile for Pawniard will give the team another Defog deterrent while giving similar utility.

Also, have you thought about a more durable T-spikes Setter? I think Mareanie can fill the niche, absorbing opposing T-spikes and having decent bulk/typing and ways to recover health through the match while also absorbing Fighting and Fire moves for Piloswine and Pawniard, while attracting electric and psychic types for them to abuse.

About the second team, I think that you have enough offense and not enough resistances for Ice-Fire. I think a bulkier Grumpig could help with that. Another thing that I realized is that you have three EQ users and just one SR user... if you want to use defog, I guess you could drop EQ on A-Golem for rocks since dual STAB is enough for it (SE EQ does just around 8% more damage, which is less than what you could do by having rocks on the opponents side) and with LO it can switch between moves.

Finally on the Nasty pass team (That I really loved using) I just made a few adjustments for my personal style. I made Poli faster and Togetic slower (to favour Haunter and Chatot to come unscathed even against slower things at expense of Toge's Health) while I changed Pain Split on Haunter for , HP Fighting to catch Pawniard on the Switch.

I hope this comments are good enough to improve your already nice teams and make them to the next level! See ya!

Hey Taskr! They might not be perfect teams, but we can lend a hand to improve them (and in general I feel they are pretty decent).

About the first one, this was IMO the "Less Fun" to use, because even with Defiant Primeape and Missy to spinblock, it's really hard to keep Tspikes on the field. Prinplup, Vullaby and Togetic are pretty troubling to Primeape too, because even if ape user predicts the Defog, scarf monkey can't OHKO any of them and in return they can severely dent it with Scald, Foul Play/Brave Bird and Dazzling Gleam respectively. Another thing about Missy is that Cryo and Sandslash are both troubling for her spin blocking because of fast toxic and Knock Off respectively which will cripple it.

Also, Mawile can't check normal with that set because the most relevant normal (Stoutland) can outspeed and 2HKO it even with Return. I think that maybe changing Mawile for Pawniard will give the team another Defog deterrent while giving similar utility.

Also, have you thought about a more durable T-spikes Setter? I think Mareanie can fill the niche, absorbing opposing T-spikes and having decent bulk/typing and ways to recover health through the match while also absorbing Fighting and Fire moves for Piloswine and Pawniard, while attracting electric and psychic types for them to abuse.

About the second team, I think that you have enough offense and not enough resistances for Ice-Fire. I think a bulkier Grumpig could help with that. Another thing that I realized is that you have three EQ users and just one SR user... if you want to use defog, I guess you could drop EQ on A-Golem for rocks since dual STAB is enough for it (SE EQ does just around 8% more damage, which is less than what you could do by having rocks on the opponents side) and with LO it can switch between moves.

Finally on the Nasty pass team (That I really loved using) I just made a few adjustments for my personal style. I made Poli faster and Togetic slower (to favour Haunter and Chatot to come unscathed even against slower things at expense of Toge's Health) while I changed Pain Split on Haunter for , HP Fighting to catch Pawniard on the Switch.

I hope this comments are good enough to improve your already nice teams and make them to the next level! See ya!
Hi thanks for the input, although primeape isn't able to OHKO the defoggers you mentioned, it still adds a lot of pressure against the opposing team and that can be enough to deter them from defogging especially if they already have prior damage on them. Mawile is really just a check to normal types like Stoutland (Play rough + Sucker KO's iirc) so I don't think that's too much of an issue. Also the team is meant to be HO so Mareanie kind of drains momentum as much as I like it.

I thought about using taunt Grumpig instead of Sub CM as it would of helped me with some situations I've already been in but I'm still not sure about that. I don't like LO on Alolan Golem as it already gets worn down easy as a normal check and EQ is just filler to hit other Golems and such so I think rocks on Torterra instead is fine.

Lastly, I think you might be right using a faster Poli as it can help vs opposing Poliwrath and other stuff like Cacturne, Togetic's EV's are so you can BP out vs Golem but I can see how a slower BP can work better in some situations too. I've got a pretty decent check to Pawn in Poli and +2 Never-Ending Nightmare OHKO's so I don't think its a huge deal but could be okay if you can manage to pass Haunter the boost.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I just wanted to dump a couple of team's I have been using in the new spec meta that work pretty well.

Venipede @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Toxic Spikes

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

SD Pinsir Bulky Offense

Pinsir @ Buginium Z
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Torterra @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Togetic @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

Nasty Pass Togetic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Haunter @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave

Golem-Alola @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Stealth Rock

Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Boomburst

I haven't touched Spec PU much, but I do like your teams for the most part. Some things I'd like to suggest:

For the first team, if you want to keep Venipede or go Mareanie for a bulkier T-Spike setter thats fine, but for the sake of not changing the team much, have you considered Cacturne over Mawile? The team does look similiar to my old Hyper Offense Team and with Cacturne over Mawile, you have a Psychic check as well as a soft water check as your Scald switchin on this team is Misdreavus. For the second team, have you considered Volt Switch > Explosion on Golem? I know Galvanze Explosion does a lot of damage and provides a free switchin, but Volt Switch can do the same albeit its more for momentum and you can just hard switch to Pinsir on Claydol or Torterra which Pinsir can beat and A-Golem baits in bulky Grass-types anyway for Pinsir and momentum for a team like this is very nice. For the third team, any reason for Frustration on Chatot? I'd understand is this was a typo or intentional or you couldn't find better 4th move for Chatot.

I haven't touched Spec PU much, but I do like your teams for the most part. Some things I'd like to suggest:

For the first team, if you want to keep Venipede or go Mareanie for a bulkier T-Spike setter thats fine, but for the sake of not changing the team much, have you considered Cacturne over Mawile? The team does look similiar to my old Hyper Offense Team and with Cacturne over Mawile, you have a Psychic check as well as a soft water check as your Scald switchin on this team is Misdreavus. For the second team, have you considered Volt Switch > Explosion on Golem? I know Galvanze Explosion does a lot of damage and provides a free switchin, but Volt Switch can do the same albeit its more for momentum and you can just hard switch to Pinsir on Claydol or Torterra which Pinsir can beat and A-Golem baits in bulky Grass-types anyway for Pinsir and momentum for a team like this is very nice. For the third team, any reason for Frustration on Chatot? I'd understand is this was a typo or intentional or you couldn't find better 4th move for Chatot.
Cacturne is definitely a cool addition that I will try out and can be really threatening with Spikes.
I really just added Explosion because it seems cool at first glance but you're right Volt Switch might work quite well too as I don't find myself clicking Explosion much.
Also Frustration is just to lure Mr.Mime as the team is pretty weak to it. I appreciate the feedback c:

Do you think that Torracat could find a niche in PU? 85/80/90 offensive stats don't look that bad. It's movepool and set options seem to be pretty big. It could run a Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Bulk Up or Work Up as the boosting moves. Defensive sets with Intimidate seems to be options too. Fake Out, U-Turn and Will-O-Wisp is what it can bring as supporting moves.
While it will be outclassed as a physical fire type by Monferno, Torracat would be way harder to predict imo

Your thoughts?

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Well, I don't think it outclasses Monferno, since Monf' can also runs SD, Bulk Up, Nasty Plot and even has Slack Off (it's not so used from what I have seen but it's still an option for semi-offensive sets).
Torracat has a slightly better offensive presence (85/80/90 VS 78/78/81) but Monf' is Fire/Fighting, which is better than pure Fire type, and also Iron Fist + Mach Punch. It also has Vacuum Wave if you mind to run Nasty Plot.
So in my opinion, Monf' is definitely better in every cases.

Torracat would have a niche as a Scarf user with Intimidate (when it's released) but that's pretty all. : /

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Gonna dump some more teams feel free to use them or leave some feedback:
CB Torterra Hyper Offense

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Frustration
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Torterra @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Double-Edge / Crunch

Simisear @ Firium Z
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Nasty Plot
- Solar Beam

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

This was the first team I made after the the new list dropped that I thought might take advantage of meta trends that might arise as well as just use a bunch of mons I find to be really fun. Banded Torterra and Firium Z Simisear form a neat core as Torterra's strong attacks break most of the mons in the meta. Simisear can come in on and setup on the few mons Torterra can't deal with like Gourgeist and Bronzor. Torterra can run either Double-Edge as a strong 100% neutral option for things like Leafeon and Altaria or Crunch to hit Gourgeist and Bronzor harder. Simisear functions a bit like a double dance mon as it can sweep offense with Z Sunny Day or bust stall with a +2 Inferno Overdrive. I added suicide lead Alolan Golem cause it looked cool and even mons that resist Electric take a ton from Galvanize boosted Explosion. I didnt mind that it was pretty weak to defensive grass types and Ground types as most of those mons are a free switch in for Torterra or Poliwrath. Poliwrath was added for its great role compression as a dark check, water check, and fire check as well as provide some much needed priority. 140 speed outruns neutral natured Cacturne allowing for an easy RK. I added Kadabra as a catch all check to all the massive threats. It also helps a ton vs the plethora of fighting types running around the tier.I chose four attacks over other optiosn like Thunder Wave so Kadabra has the least amount of switch ins so I can maintain offensive momentum. Scarf Haunter is a great cleaner that outspeeds a lot of relevant scarfers as well as providing a normal and fighting immunity to deter something like Primeape from just clicking Close Combat. Very fun team to use that needs to be played aggressively with doubles in order to succeed most of the time.

Specs Haunter Balance

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Baton Pass

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 HP / 232 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Togetic @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Parting Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Haunter @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Trick

Specs Haunter is a great breaker with very few switch ins outside of Audino and AV Bouffalant. Its high speed also allows it to pull its weight vs more offensive teams as well. Sub Punch Poliwrath is a great partner as it can switch in on and sub up on the very few passive things that can tank Haunter as well as check dark types for Haunter. The core is incredibly psychic weak so Pursuit Metang is added to also provide rocks and a normal check. Pursuit proves particularly useful vs the likes of Kadabra ,Scarf Mime, and Scarf Rotom as they all outspeed and KO my offensive core. Togetic is my dedicated grass/fighting check that also provides hazard control. Twave is great here as it can cripple faster threats that my offensive mons would otherwise lose out to. My team was looking quite weak to electric types with no immunity. I wanted something that was fast, could maintain offensive pressure, and could take random hp ice/grass/waters. Silvally Ground was really the only option that met the criteria outside of Zebstrika. Silvally has the added bonus of not showing its type at team preview so it's a lot easier to catch random electrics out that think they have a free volt switch. I've opted for standard special coverage + Parting Shot over any ground STAB as it's not really needed to hit anything and the coverage it has hits virtually everything neutrally. Scarf Leafeon is added as a RKer that patches up a bit of a ground weakness that outspeeds or ties most common scarfers.

Scarf Primeape + AV Bouffalant Bulky Offense

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Exeggutor-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm / Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Moonlight

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Pursuit
- Megahorn
- Earthquake

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Mr. Mime @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Filter
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

I first saw Megazard using a similar core with Banded Passimian that put in a lot of work so I wanted to replicate it. Primeape is a bit weak as a scarfer but Close Combat makes up for this with its high BP. On top of this Primeape has access to great coverage moves like Earthquake, Stone Edge, Ice Punch, and Gunk Shot as well as momentum in U'-turn. The idea here is to U-turn out on a bunch of ghosts as well as psychics in the tier atm and Pursuit trap them with AV Bouffalant. If a Haunter or Oricorio-Sensu is taken out early in this way it can make trying to deal with Primeape very difficult. The rest of the team was built around breaking the rest of Primeapes checks. Piloswine is a great rocker here that checks electric types while also threatening out a lot of common hazard removal options that Primeape struggles with like Togetic and Vullaby. The tanking ability of this mound of fur is a force to be reckoned with and unprepared teams will struggle considerably. The last three mons are just really fun breakers that make Primeapes job of sweeping late game a piece of cake. SubSplit Haunter is here to help vs bulky grasses, provide a normal/fighting immunity, and be a stupidly good breaker. Haunter finds sub opportunities on the likes of Togetic, choice locked fighting types, Psychic types it scares out, etc, etc. Once Haunter gets behind a sub it is very difficult to deal with for teams lacking a counter that is reminiscent of SubSplit Rotom. Alolan Eggy is here as a solid switch in to grass types (Gourgeist in particular as the team really struggles vs it otherwise). It's powerful dual STAB + Flamethrower is almost impossible to switch in to. Moonlight provides some longevity so Eggy can keep breaking for longer. NP Fightium Z Mr. Mime is my final breaker as I saw how annoying RawMelon's stall team looked and wanted a good answer to it.

Feel free to steal the teams I had a lot of fun making them :D

Last edited:
Do you think that Torracat could find a niche in PU? 85/80/90 offensive stats don't look that bad. It's movepool and set options seem to be pretty big. It could run a Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Bulk Up or Work Up as the boosting moves. Defensive sets with Intimidate seems to be options too. Fake Out, U-Turn and Will-O-Wisp is what it can bring as supporting moves.
While it will be outclassed as a physical fire type by Monferno, Torracat would be way harder to predict imo

Your thoughts?
Sorry dude, but heeeeellll noooooo...
Torracat's special sets are just absolutely unviable since it can only use Fire STABs and Hidden Power on the special side, and its physical options are also far from impressive (besides Fire STAB, it got Shadow Claw, Leech Life and Outrage). If you want a decently bulky fire type with crappy coverage - power and the ability to setup Sword Dances, go with Fire Silvally that at least can have some really luring moves like Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.

Also, when compared to Monferno,Torracat will have less chances to setup because while is almost as bulky as Ferno (it will e bulkier on the physical side thanks to Intimidate), gets extra damage from rocks, force less switches (Normal and Rock types, especially Golem, Miltank and Stoutland shouldn't be afraid of Torracat while they can be destroyed by Monferno Fighting STAB) and doesn't even have a few support moves for gimmicks.

So, please... don't use it...

See ya!

As the Speculation PU Meta comes more and more developed, Trick Room teams are becoming much more popular and effective than I could have ever expected. I'd like to first apologize to Guan123 who I attempted to refute why Trick Room teams had not gotten better with the new generation. I'd like to retract those statements. Trick Room has with doubt gotten stronger as for the new generation.

Main Reasons why Trick Room has gotten better
  • We got a whole slew of hard-hitting but relatively slow Pokemon
    • Golem-Alolan, Exegutor-Alolan, Crabominable, Aggron, Gumshoos Hariyama, Granbull, and Torterra
    • Crabominable and Exeggutor-Alolan are particular dangerous under TR
      • Crabominable has great Offensive coverage in Close Combat, Ice Hammer, and Earthquake, none of which hamper its HP, meaning it can continue to slice through the opponents team like a hot knife through butter
      • Exeggutor-Alolan has the options to go both Physical and Special and the opponent will usually have to fodder something off just to see what set it is. Not only that, but its one of the few offensive TR Pokemon to learn the move itself!
  • Old TR abusers now get a chance to shine
    • Beheeyem, Rampardos, Duosion, Cacturne, Lampent, Gorebyss, and Kingler
  • The metagame has gotten bulkier.
    • For Example: Upwards of 35% of all teams during the PU Speculation tour run some Silvally-Forme, in part due to its 95/95/95 bulk.
Aha. Thank you for your apology. I had a hunch that more slower, heavy-hitting pokemon falling to PU will make Trick Room Better. I will probably make a Trick Room Compendium.

Trick Room Setters:
Carbink, Duosion, Beheeyem, Dusclops, Gourgeist-Super, Trevenant, Dusknoir, Audino, Keckleon,

Trick Room physical Abusers,
Crabominable, Aggron, Gumshoos, Hariyama, Golem-Alola, Raticate-Alola, Torterra, Granbull, Exeggutor-Alola, Cacturne, Type Null, Pawniard, Ursaring, Rampardos, Kingler, Cacturne, Marowak regular, Trevenant, Keckleon
Trick Room Special Abusers
Duosion, Beheeyem, Lampent, Exeggutor-Alolan, Gorebyss, Exeggutor regular, Octillery,

Did I miss any? Please tell me.

Last edited:
Aha. Thank you for your apology. I had a hunch that more slower, heavy-hitting pokemon falling to PU will make Trick Room Better. I will probably make a Trick Room Compendium.

Trick Room Setters:
Carbink, Duosion, Beheeyem, Dusclops, Gourgeist-Super, Trevenant, Dusknoir, Audino, Musharna,

Trick Room physical Abusers,
Crabominable, Aggron, Gumshoos, Hariyama, Golem-Alola, Raticate-Alola, Torterra, Granbull, Exeggutor-Alola, Cacturne, Type Null, Pawniard, Ursaring, Rampardos, Kingler, Cacturne, Marowak regular, Trevenant
Trick Room Special Abusers
Duosion, Beheeyem, Lampent, Exeggutor-Alolan, Gorebyss, Exeggutor regular, Octillery,

Did I miss any? Please tell me.
Musharna wasn't freed and Kecleon belongs under TR setters (possibly even abusers too)

What is the best playstyle: offense, balance, or stall? And is weather any good in the speculation PU metagame?

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Since other people have been posting teams, I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon too with some that I've been using with quite a bit of success.

Passimian @ Choice Band
Ability: Receiver
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Brutal Swing / Facade / Iron Head

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Parting Shot
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Raticate-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Frustration
- U-turn

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Thunderbolt

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin

I know a lot of people have been posting these similar cores in their team dumps and for good reason, it works. Passimian is such a strong wallbreaker but there are three things that can truly take it on: ghosts, psychics, and Clefairy. Raticate-A is extremely unique in that it is immune both psychic and ghost, meaning it can switch in to most of them and either trap with Pursuit or hit hard with Sucker Punch. I picked Silvally-Water for its ability to form a pivot core with Passimian, its resistance to fire which helps Ferroseed, and its ability to deal with flying types to further help the monkey. Ferroseed sets up Spikes to help wear down the opposing team since Passimian forces a lot of switches and can also help it pick things off. Knock Off is there to help against Clefairy as well. Scarf Haunter is some cool new thing we also got in the drop, and it has a really good offensive presence with its dual STAB having close to perfect neutral coverage. Sandslash-A is here to deal with the clefs in an offensive way unlike Ferroseed and is also a cool spinner to support the team. Probably a lot of improvements to be made, but it's a good starting point imo and I'll probably use something similar and improved when the actual meta comes just because I like Passimian so much.

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Shadow Ball / Flamethrower / Surf / Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Masquerain @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain

Komala @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Frustration
- Wood Hammer

Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Surf

Togetic @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog

Golem-Alola @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 224 HP / 164 Atk / 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- Volt Switch

I haven't tested this one as much since the new spec list, but it's another team I've been using a lot and focuses on three sets I posted a while ago. I wanted to focus a team around Masquerain since it got its buff this gen and this came out. Scarf Silvally seems like one of the most versatile mons in the tier. Not only does it have great team support with a fast Parting Shot, but it also has so much coverage that you can pretty much tailor it to what the team needs. Its speed tier also helps it beat other common scarfers (Chatot with Ice Beam/Tbolt, Leafeon with Ice Beam/Flamethrower, Mr. Mime with Shadow Ball, etc.) I typically run bolt-beam coverage but like I said, it can be changed to almost anything. The first set up mon is Masquerain and with its boost this gen, it's a lot more fun to use. Bulk Up Komala is the second set up mon and this thing is nasty even at +2. Just make sure Gourgeist and Haunter are out of the way first. Speaking of nasty, Nasty Plot Alolaraichium Z is next and he can break through so much. Surf and Psychic help it beat the mons that resist Thunderbolt and the Z-Move is such a nuke. The paralysis afterwards is also helpful for the mons it doesn't KO with it. Togetic is a bulky defogger and also has Heal Bell support, Wish can even be used over Roost for more support. Finally, the team looked kinda Mawile weak so I put on a bulky-ish Alolem to trap it. Golem is EVd to have the best chance of living 2 Play Roughs from Offensive Mawile if rocks are up, if rocks are gone then it can never 2HKO while Earthquake can immediately OHKO it. Air Balloon helps it beat Probopass and Smack Down lets it beat Bronzor.

I'm looking forward to using and improving these as the meta develops, and hopefully they'll put in some good work on the ladder when it gets here. These were fun to make and are really fun to use so try them out if you feel so inclined.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just wanted to post a few thoughts on what we've seen in spec so far because even though PU will probably end up completely different it's worth looking at some stuff now. I think the biggest thing so far on building is how Steel resists are going to become actually important. Mawile is as good as ever and offensive can still put in work, Duggy-A is a really solid mon being an actually fast ground type with priority and a secondary STAB for grasses, and there's a few more users of steel coverage that it'd be nice to have resists for (offensive Mudsdale, Passimian). I've had games where because teams aren't prepped for an adequate Steel resist you can beat right through a Mawile or some offensive water and just go to work, it's pretty spoopy. Fighting resists are also a much larger thing but if you didn't know that then you probably haven't played much of this at all. Or seen the recent changes. Trick Room is another huge thing, just check out any offense vs TR game to see how gross it can be. Checks are absolutely needed with the number of new abusers (btw regular eggy isn't one of those, it's not allowed). A few things I've run into are Taunt on defensive Mawile for shutting down setters late-game and Crabominable off of Trick Room once it gets off an Ice Hammer can outslow everything as long as u dont invest too much in speed (s/o rawmelon).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-539422930 this is what an average offense vs tr matchup looks like when u dont prep for it

Also Z-moves are pretty stupid ngl. There's definitely that uncompetitive aspect that a lot of people were worried about, you can just get random mons absolutely blown back and it can significantly boost the power of otherwise moderate threats. It's just a lot to account for and most games you just see it randomly popping out and nabbing a kill. It's not so bad yet mostly because there's no really formed meta and most every game I'm seeing new threats come to light that people just havent had time to get to and work with yet, but if we just had this metagame keep developing I'd be worried about the impact Z-moves have on a competitive meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)