Project SM RU Core Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really love both Reuniclus and Heracross. They are two underrated threats that can literally beat teams just on team preview. I don't like the addition of Diancie though. While it has a good defensive synergy with both Reuniclus and Heracross, both Heracross and Reuniclus sorta rely on status go get their job done - Reuniclus appreciates getting burnt or toxiced so it doesn't get paralyzed and potentially full paralyzed on important turns and Heracross appreciates the burn its Flame Orb gives so Guts is activated. If Diancie uses Heal Bell and Reuniclus and Heracross' status is cured, Reuniclus has the potential to get paralyzed, thus having the risk of getting full paralyzed on important turns and Heracross' Flame Orb has the potential to be knocked off.
That is why I would actually change Toxic > Heal Bell on Diancie.

Other than that, I really like the creativity of the core and the fact it features two of my favorite Pokémon, therefore I will be voting for it.

Voting for Core 1.

Last edited:

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't like the addition of Diancie though. While it has a good defensive synergy with both Reuniclus and Heracross, both Heracross and Reuniclus sorta rely on status go get their job done - Reuniclus appreciates getting burnt or toxiced so it doesn't get paralyzed and potentially full paralyzed on important turns and Heracross appreciates the burn its Flame Orb gives so Guts is activated. If Diancie uses Heal Bell and Reuniclus and Heracross' status is cured, Reuniclus has the potential to get paralyzed, thus having the risk of getting full paralyzed on important turns and Heracross' Flame Orb has the potential to be knocked off.
That is why I would actually change Toxic > Heal Bell on Diancie.
About Toxic, yeah...I realized Heal Bell can bother both Reuniclus and Heracross and I should definately have slashed Toxic on that set

I mean 3 mon cores like a Fire-Water-Grass core and a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core exist...

tho I gotta be honest, I do feel quite limited in my choices with being forced to post a 3 mon core when there are so many good 2 mon cores who can do the same thing as well.

EDIT:
to get back on track what were supposed to do; I vote for core 1

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I mean 3 mon cores like a Fire-Water-Grass core and a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core exist...

tho I gotta be honest, I do feel quite limited in my choices with being forced to post a 3 mon core when there are so many good 2 mon cores who can do the same thing as well.
I agree with this
Also I vote for Core 2

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting for Randomnick, as Wall's core just get shredded by opposing Doublade + Gligar core :(

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Voting is up! Congratulations Randomnick for winning this week!

This week you will be posting type spam cores. You can choose if you want two or three pokémon this week, as you guys didn't like that you had to be constricted to one or the other. Type spam cores usually work as one of the pokémon break down the checks for the other pokémon or vice versa. Voting will begin Wednesday 10th.

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
reserving sneasel + glalie

Chasing Ghosts (Sneasel) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Sell Your Soul (Glalie) @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry / Earthquake
- Spikes

These two mons are quite cool together. Sneasel has Knock Off to considerably weaken Doublade, Rotom-H, and Escavalier which Glalie dislikes, and can Pursuit trap Bronzong as well. It also can remove Lefties from Registeel and Snorlax, which reduce their longevity and makes them more susceptible to Glalie. Low Kick can just do a lot of damage to the two instead. Glalie in turn ices bulky waters that often plague Sneasel like Mantine or can Super Fang to take a bunch of HP off mons that usually check it. Glalie also sets up Spikes to bolster Sneasel's damage a bit.
Of course, this core just exacerbates the inherent problems with Ice-types: can't switch in, weak to hazards, hella weaknesses, etc. so it needs a lot of support, but it's pretty fun to play with if you can get around that.

Last edited:
Reserving Sharpedo + Feraligatr

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

This core is a pretty nice type spam core that allows either mon to be the eventual win condition. They have identical coverage in Water / Dark / Ice, which is unresisted in RU except for like... poliwrath or something, I dunno. Anyway, it's really solid coverage, and since both Sharpedo and Feraligatr share all three offensive types, they can spam whichever the opponent's team is weakest to.
In addition, Feraligatr is exclusively physical and Sharpedo is exclusively special, so they can win against different teams. For example, teams with a Gligar + Doublade defensive core are weak to Sharpedo, while balanced teams that rely on Nidoqueen + Mantine fold quickly to Feraligatr, especially once it has used Dragon Dance.

Last edited:
Reserving Froslass + Mismagius

Hey missy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind hey missy, hey miss.. *ahem* excuse me...

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp

Mismagius (F) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Memento

This core is pretty neat and suits well with pretty much every setup sweeper/cleaner for HO Teams, especially belly drummers such as slurpuff and linoone. Froslass sets up spikes and acts as a spinblocker, while also cripples switchins with will-o-wisp and icy wind. Missy act as a breaker and also acts as spinblocker, effectively makes hazard removal for opponent's team real hard.

Will-o-wisp is really good on froslass because it can burn spinners and other physical attackers like donphan, moxie cross, not-so-subtle (read: pretty friggin' obvious) lead zoroark, recycle snorlax, dhelmise, and many more. This makes missy's job as spinblocker even easier while also creates opportunity for sweepers to setting up. Also icy wind is really nice especially when paired with pursuit users like honch

Taunt is obviously good on Missy for pyuku, mantine, registeel, etc.I also tested memento and it definitely has merits (not as good as zoroark tho), but you have to pair it with t-bolt nidoqueen or something

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations Monkey Smurf for winning this week!

This week you will be making Volt-Turn core. Volt-Turn is a core based on gaining momentum using the two pivoting moves to switch into the resective counters to the mon that was just in. Usually a breaker is good with these cores as it can come in on something it beats and dent the opposing team. You can choose between using 2-3 'mons and the only criterion is that you have atleast 2 Volt-Turn users, this can be 1 of each 2 U-Turn or 2 Volt Switch. You have until Thursday 18th.

053-a.png 277.png 160.png
Persian-Alola (F) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Toxic

Swellow (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Grass/Air Slash/Tailwind/Toxic/Sleep Talk

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

OR

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

This core utilizes the Parting Shot/U-turn core of Alolan Persian and Swellow to gain momentum versus their respective checks and counters, as each other take advantage of the Pokémon they lure in respectively. Persian lures in Fighting and Dark Types, as well as dedicated physically defensive Pokémon that Swellow loves to nuke, such as Scrafty, Pangoro, and Donphan, while Swellow lures in stuff like Bronzong and Cresselia, stuff that Persian loves to mess around with.

Persian acts as a pivot to Swellow, it checks a good portion of the metagame thanks to it´s ability Fur Coat, and it also acts as a stallbreaker to make it even more easier for Swellow to break down the opposing team, thanks to Taunt and Toxic respectively, and it also has acces to Foul Play to stop setup sweepers such as Feraligatr and Doublade. Parting Shot is a really cool move as it does essentially the same thing as Volt Switch and U-turn, but instead of dealing damage it reduces the Atk and SpA of the opposing Pokémon by 1 stage, making it easier for the Pokémon that will come in place of Persian. And to make it even better, Persian also comes with an ace in the hole, which is Z-Parting Shot. This Z Move will make Persian use Parting Shot, but this time it´s replacement will recover it´s entire health, giving a potentially weakened Pokémon a 2nd chance in the match. The EVs spread allows Persian to outspeed Lycanrock Midday Form, the rest was put in Def to increase it´s bulk.

I´m pretty sure I don´t need to explain what Choice Specs Swellow does. It´s one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, and for a good reason. With a base speed of 125, Swellow outspeeds the vast majority of the unboosted metagame, which makes it a very scary late game cleaner once it´s checks and counters have been weakened/removed. Boomburst will be your main STAB and the move you will go for most of the time, being a 140 base power move with no drawbacks that very few Pokémon can switch into, and thanks to Swellow´s ability Scrappy, Boomburst also ignores the inmunity that Ghost Types have against Normal Type moves, which coupled with it´s acces to Heat Wave, leaves Rock Types as the only solid answer to Swellow. U-turn as the 3rd move to take advantage of the switches that Swellow forces as well as gain momentum. The last move slot can be toyed around with.

I decided to pair them with Feraligatr, as Persian doesn´t have the offensive pressence to heavily weaken Swellow´s switch-ins. Feraligatr is another very potent threath in the RU metagame thanks to it´s ability Sheer Force, which boosts the strength of it´s attacks that have secondary effects by 30%, and nullifies Life Orb recoil on top of that, giving Feraligatr a tremendous wallbreaking/late game sweeper potential. Feraligatr also goes really well with Persian and Swellow, as it can help them deal with most stuff that each other lure in, and overload some checks and counters they share. And last but not least, it takes full advantage of Persian´s Parting Shot and Z-Parting Shot, as it gives Feraligatr much more freedom and opportunities to set up. Feraligatr´s set and coverage can change depending on what the rest of the team needs. On the Dragon Dance set however, Jolly is the preffered nature, as it allows Feraligatr to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame (barring Accelgor), and even some Choice Scarf Pokémon, after a Dragon Dance.​

Attachments

Last edited:
less serious core this time but it's still super fun to play with

U-Turn Swellow + Parting Shot Pangoro + Salazzle

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Parting Shot
- Bullet Punch

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Taunt

This core uses the pivoting of Swellow and Pangoro to take advantage of their checks. The idea is that Swellow lures in mons like Cresselia, Doublade, and Bronzong, that Pangoro can capitalize on, while Pangoro lures in fairy-types, which Salazzle eats for breakfast. Either Salazzle or Swellow can clean up, depending on the opposing team composition.
Choice Band Pangoro is a real bear to handle if it gets a free switch (get it? panda bear?) from Swellow's U-turn. It weakens the opposing team for Swellow with its massive wall breaking power, and switches in on rock-type attacks that Swellow hates. Swellow and standard Pangoro is a solid core on its own. But when Pangoro has Parting Shot, it allows Salazzle to steal momentum from any fairy-type that tries to switch in.
Salazzle can take advantage of Parting Shot's lowering stats to set up fairly easily, with Nasty Plot + Poisinium Z allowing it to easily threaten opposing walls. Taunt allows it to stallbreak decently well, which Swellow loves. Salazzle baits ground type moves, which can give Swellow a free switch-in as well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rubeta-576502858
This replay is super low ladder and all, but it gives an idea of how the core is supposed to work. Pangoro pivots early, Salazzle capitalizes on a fairy, and Swellow comes in late game for some momentum-grabbing.

since i'm edge here's a Silvally core,,

pretend that the silvally is steel

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch / Thunder Punch

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 108 HP / 216 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature / Jolly
- Parting Shot
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Flash Cannon / Iron Head
- Ice Beam / Thunder Bolt / Flamethrower

Bruxish @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Waterfall / Ice Fang
- Aqua Jet / Ice Fang

or

Bruxish @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall / Crunch
- Aqua Jet

This core revolves around Silvally-Steel's ability to pivot in and out of it's prominent threats with parting shot, lowering the oppponents Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage. Alongside it is Choice Scarf Flygon being able to pivot in and out with U-Turn, allowing this core to lure it's threats respectively; Flygon lures in Ice, Dragon and Fairy types which Silvally can handle respectively, Silvally lures in Ground Types, which it can pivot into Flygon with levitate, as well as Fire and Fighting Types which Bruxish can easily take care of. Not to mention Silvally-Steel resists the majority of Bruxish's weaknesses.

Scarf Flygon can always act as a nice pivot as well as being a competent revenge killer. U-Turn enables it gain momentum against opposing foes, namely fairy types with pivoting out into Silvally-Steel, Earthquake and Outrage will unfailingly be strong STAB attacks. The last move slot is interchangeable and just depends on what your team relies on.

It was a bit challenging to really summarise Silvally-Steel's moveset, implying that people actually use Silvally with having such a large and diverse movepool, it's movepool can be really splashable depending on what the team at hand really needs. Parting Shot is practically staple on any Silvally set, lowering the opponents Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage and being able to pivot out at the same time is extremely beneficial to a lot of teams. T-Wave or Toxic can be used to cripple bulky or faster foes such as Cresselia or Salazzle. Although a special moveset is usually preferred, the only usage out of Iron Head is to wear down mons such as Florges, with amazing Special Defence and access to Aromatherapy, it can be quite pestering. The last slot is just for pure coverage and can be varied in many different ways.

Bruxish was a great addition to this core, due to hit being able to take care of everything that Flygon and Silvally can't which isn't much may I add, such as bulky Ground Types, CM reuniclus and other Flygons. Silvally-s Parting shot greatly assists Bruxish ability to either set up, or just Attack with sheer power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)