Finals Smogon Premier League VI - Finals [Won by the Congregation of the Classiest]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

As a reminder:

On... Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in #spl / #pokemon / any of the semiofficial tier channels, or in opposing SPL team channels (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team channel unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On... Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server, or PO if you're playing an old gen. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take irc or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On... Disconnecting and timing out drama
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

Also, to protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer and not be hour-a-move dicks.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Zebraiken and Aldaron, who are not playing nor affiliated with any team, will manage this team submission form. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

~ Aldaron
Basically: use VMs to communicate and schedule your matches, don't be a drama llama, submit your teams, and we'll get along fine.

---

[#2] Alpha Ruiners (3) vs [#4] Congregation of the Classiest (9)

ORAS OU: PDC vs CTC
ORAS OU: Tokyo Tom vs ben gay
ORAS Ubers: steelphoenix vs Jibaku
ORAS UU: reachzero vs Hikari
ORAS RU: Meru vs Bad Ass
ORAS NU: Teddeh vs FLCL
ORAS Doubles: finally vs Braverius
BW OU: SoulWind vs papai noel
DPP OU: august vs Asuya
ADV OU: dekzeh vs Triangles
GSC OU: Tiba vs Mr.E
RBY OU: Hantsuki vs KratosMana

12/12 matchas completed

HF. Let me know if any of the above is incorrect. Submit your teams!

Last edited by a moderator:

predictions are practically gambles at this pt

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

das rite, predicting the tie.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

7-5 Ruiners

[#2] Alpha Ruiners (654984) vs [#4] Congregation of the Classiest (-564987896451)

GO GO ALPHA TUINERS [;

i'm pretty bad with shoutouts but I'll do them anyway. This is the best team I've ever been on (player wise and environment wise), and I'm glad to have been apart of it. I'm not so much disappointed in the fact that I don't have a shot at getting a trophy, but moreso my teammates can't get the trophy. You guys worked hard as shit this year and I'm sorry that I couldn't provide more to the team. I really did lose inspiration this time around. I'm already a pretty bad teambuilder and player, so adding no inspiration to that ends up pretty bad.

These shoutouts are gonna be pretty short I guess. I could go on and on about how you're all such a great group of people and players and yada yada but I"m not good with that shit so yea, enjoy. no formatting or anything because I don't wanna

Funk - You're one of my better friends on this shithole of a place, and for good reason too. We share a lot of interests and humor so thats cool. You've been going through a lot of shit during this spl, but even through all of that you still managed to draft a kickass team and make your presence and assistance to the team. I hope that in the future we can work together again and maybe end up with an even better result.
Harsha - You've been extremely fukn busy with school lately and you weren't able to show up as much as you would've liked, but you still did what you could when you did get on. It was fun meeting you in person and I can't wait to chill again in a few weeks (I think you're coming, right? idk)
atomicllamas - kinda randomly showed up through a generous donation from Revver, but I'm damn glad you did show up not even phased by the fact you were traded. You were hard and definitely helped in preparations.
boudouche - First of all you're one of the funniest fucking posters. You were a damn good retain and you hella picked it up this year.
Destiny Device - One of the best purchase for sure. You probably worked harder than anyone else preparing your teams. Thats commendable as it is but considering you were doing it in one of the shittiest tiers to have existed is an even bigger surprise. Your nerves got to you a lot but when it was time to play you knew what you had to do to win.
During Summer - the italian boy. Sorry that you had to get extremely unlucky recently, guess thats the nature of rby sometimes. You were always online and you were very talkactive, which fit the nature of the channel I guess. Definitely a good player but sometimes made your decisions too hastily and you got fucked over by that sometimes.
Evuelf - The most unfortunate player on our team because he had to play fucking ubers lmaoooooo. You're the YOLO king (much like maknoon) and despite your last minute teams you still managed to beast it this year.
Finchinator - hands down best team player. dude was on 24/7 to test with everyone and make sure everything was going good. You got shafted to a tier you didn't have much knowledge of but still managed to make it work in the end.
Ginku - Sorry we couldn't carry you the one time you needed to be carried, guess thats how pkmn works. Always gonna be one of the most underrated players in SPL despite his beastly records every year. Thanks for giving me the nickname The Butcher because thats one of the most brilliant things ever.
Hill - I was glad when we picked you up as I've always seen you as a pretty good player. You brought some cool GSC teams but luck didn't benefit you much. Hopefully next time you play things will go your way
ium - You are probably one of the most helpful people ever. Even before you were on the team you helped finch build in nu and were just a good presence all around. You also made our kickass filler logo which is still fucking godlike. You're the cutest user and also not a bad battler. I AM DEFINITELY GLAD WE DIDNT GET DJANGO INSTEAD OF YOU. Thanks for everything
Jirachee - Without a doubt one of the better players that is still willing to play BW2. I'm sorry that your gastrodon cannot beat scarf keldeo.
Laga - I'm glad we picked you up as a Doubles player. I'm sorry that I couldn't help you much this year due to lack of inspiration. And despite me disliking a lot about your teams and your questionable plays, you somehow made it work well.
McMeghan - Obviously worth the money we payed for him. Honestly one of the better ADV players left and an overall amazing player. Your approach to building and playing is amazing and is something I wish I could do. This is not even the tip of the iceberg with you, just an ice cube.
MetalGro$$ - We kind of panicked when we didn't have an RBY player at the end of the draft, so Funk decided to get you. I'm glad he did because your performance early on was great.
royal flush - Your performance doesn't really represent how good you are as a player. You helped us get Hill on the team and continued to help a bit after that, thanks.
Sam - When Funk was told that Nas didn't want to play, he ended up just getting you as a backup, as you were the only good uu player left probably. You were only 3k but you are definently worth more than that.
Sinclair - Sucks that you had to get busy around half way through, but we all know you would've liked to play and help if you could. A committed player with great skill, and a memer.
TheEnder - During midseason I didn't really think we needed to get more OU help, but holy crap I'm glad we did (Especially since JJ got busy, it was perfect timing to put you in). You're an amazing builder and great player in a shit tier. Hope to see more big things from you in the future.
Vileman - I was on the fence when Funk bought you. You hadn't performed well in tryouts vs me, and I even told Funk I was kinda weary about getting you. In the end you worked out really well. You were a great asset to our NU Lineup and an overall great presence in the channel (I would put the face you always use here, but I don't have it so ye w/e)
Windsong - You didn't show up much, but you helped when you could. Plus you're just an overall cool dude.
ZoroDark - Part 2 of the Belgian Brothers core. I've always thought you had potential as a player, but you've never had the opportunities to prove it. Sadly you didn't get many of them here either, but you were still a great part of our team and helped where you could.

Mizuhime - You probably helped Laga more than I did, so thanks. Keep on mooing mookaela.
Nails - I don't even know why you've been in our channel but yea who cares, you helped early in the season. Sadly this does not overwrite the fact that you are a shit jungler...
All the people that came after week 9 - Made our channel even more active than it was and helped a shitload in this last week, sorry that your efforts went to waste.

shoutouts to everyone else that ik I guess, the LoL homies and #tf2 homies.

now time for the people I cannot fucking stand

Tesung - I mean I guess you're not the worst player in the world, but I'd say without your luck you'd be just barely above g
d , maybe average. You're cocky as shit when you shouldn't be.
Toxzn - Basically the same thing as above, except you're worse of a player than he is.
Texas Cloverleaf - Why are you so fucking stupid. You have to be one of the most retarded people on this site. You seriously wrote a pm to our player saying how the luck against him didn't matter? You seriously gave an ANTI SHOUTOUT to one of your own fucking players? You're a fucking ass dude.
CTC - You're one of the most insufferable people here. I think to myself that sometimes you have to be self aware of how pants down idiotic you are, but you never fucking are. Its gotten to the point where it isn't funny anymore and you're just a dick now.

It sucks that we're all here to play a shitty game like pokemon and maybe things would be different if we were playing something else. Can't say this tournament has really positively affected my drive to get back into this game. But I guess i'll just stick to Stours and SPLs. SPL is without a doubt the best thing that happens on this site and I can't wait until next time to get mad as shit again at the Falcons and the Classiest. seriously fuck you guys (not everyone on their teams are that bad but a lot of them are so!)

also one last shoutout to EunJi Park for being cute

edit: predicts
[#2] Alpha Ruiners (0) vs [#4] Congregation of the Classiest (0)

DPP OU: august vs Asuya - cool game
GSC OU: Tiba vs Mr.E - cool game 2, pushing for MrE because
NEVER LUCKY

Last edited:
[#2] Alpha Ruiners (12) vs [#4] Congregation of the Classiest (0)

nothing against classiest by the way, but go ruinerss

Last edited:

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
blingas u rlly callin out the most likable user on smogon nigga?

i dont see u on the list nyugguh my like/post ratio on a hunnit thousand fuxxx wit me
- likable

on another note, ggs bigs hope u guys dont call us lucky shit (BAN ME PLEASE)s and help the ruiners haha,,,

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
ORAS UU: reachzero vs Hikari - BR is really versatile whereas I'm not too sure about Reach's level of experience and comfort in ORAS. If he's still starting, then there's certainly some reason and he's gotta have something left in the tank, but I just think BR is better nowadays, so picking him.

ORAS NU: Teddeh vs FLCL - Tbh, I can't get myself to pick against FLCL after losing to him last week, but if I had to pick someone to beat him, Teddeh would probably be the man to do it currently - he has been on fire lately and has proven to be a worthy opponent to anyone in NU. Comes down to prep and late game execution imo.

BW OU: SoulWind vs papai noel - SW is one of the best BWers out there and there isn't much getting around that. Beating him will be hard for Papai and I can't see it being too likely unless some strange circumstances occur.

Overall, I'm expecting a close series - either 6-6 or 7-5 in Ruiner's favor, but in the end I'm leaning Ruiners here. Gl both

Shoutouts tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)