Finals Smogon Premier League VIII - Finals [NO WINNER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've come a long way.

Congratulations to both teams that made it up to here, and thanks to everyone who participated for making this tournament what it is; I know I would've quit smogon long ago if not for SPL. That's it from my side, hoping for some good games!

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in #spl / #pokemon / any of the semiofficial tier channels, or in opposing SPL team channels (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team channel unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take irc or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

Also, to protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer and not be hour-a-move dicks.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Prague Kick and Esteemed SPL Host Ginku, who are not playing nor affiliated with any team, will manage this team submission form. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

~ Aldaron
(Use https://cryptobin.co/ to secure your team with a password if you don't trust us)

This should be a smooth ride if everyone follows the instructions above (schedule via VM, submit teams, don't start drama for no reason), but it won't be.

---
~F I N A L S~

[#3] Indie Scooters (6) vs [#4] Circus Maximus Tigers (6)

SM OU: Welli0u vs p2
SM OU: Tricking vs Eternal Spirit
SM OU: TheThorn vs miltankmilk
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Mazar
SM LC: Star vs OP
SM DOU: Biosci vs MajorBowman
ORAS OU: Axel10 vs Nintendi
BW OU: Jirachee vs Tokyo Tom
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome
ADV OU: Ojama vs JabbaTheGriffin
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs roroyurem
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Zebraiken

Tiebreak
SM OU: Tricking vs Tamahome
ADV OU: Ojama vs McMeghan
---

Deadline is Sunday, April 2nd, at 11:59 PM EST.

Tiebreak deadline is Friday, April 7th, at 11:59 PM EST.

If I made a mistake with any matchups or names, please contact Prague Kick or me.
12/12 matches completed

Last edited:
SM OU: TheThorn vs Steve Angello
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs McMeghan

rooting for tigers should be a good series, all games look pretty close

z0mOG

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 26 Championis a defending SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
DPL Champion
SM OU: Welli0u vs p2 - welliou has misplayed in all his games ive watched and p2 will go full tryhard for teh WIN
SM OU: Tricking vs Eternal Spirit - es's last week was bad and not a fan of his team, tricking did well
SM OU: TheThorn vs Steve Angello - both won last week but how ready will thorn be for 6 meme sets
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Mazar - Ubers circlejerk vs. faji or mazar = faji or mazar 8-0
SM LC: Star vs OP - closest matchup here, op on a good streak and star not as much
SM DOU: Biosci vs MajorBowman - equally close, don't know nuff bout doubles to predict
ORAS OU: Axel10 vs Nintendi - nobody beats genesis7. nintendi can upset. played beautifully vs tdk
BW OU: Jirachee vs Tokyo Tom - tigers r a good team for tomothy
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome - actual kingpin
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs McMeghan - 378 faultered a bit towards the end of the season and mcm is unstoppable when he wants to be
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Zebraiken - lol rby predix

best of luck to all!!!

[#3] Indie Scooters (6) vs [#4] Circus Maximus Tigers (6)

Tiebreak

SM OU: Ojama / Axel10 vs. McMeghan
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs. Mazar
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs. Tamahome

lol there's way too many tiebreak options for me to actually figure this out so fuck that. HONESTLY, if Tigers are insane enough to put Mazar in a tiebreak, I think he would actually win. He's been on a tear and sent Hack to the shadow realm last game. prime roro will win whatever the scooters pick TBH if not SM OU.

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
SM OU: Welli0u vs p2 - I think both are good but based off last week and seeing how solid p2's been overall, the edge goes for him
SM OU: Tricking vs Eternal Spirit - I'm on the opinion that ES is a bit shaky(no offense, even I am like this sometimes XD) but if he steps up his game I'm fairly sure he'll take this
SM OU: TheThorn vs Steve Angello - Incredible match, cannot wait to see it :), but so far I think Tim has had a better season
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Mazar - you doubt? LOL
SM LC: Star vs OP - He's on a streak
SM DOU: Biosci vs MajorBowman - From what I've seen, Biosci is quite consistent
ORAS OU: Axel10 vs Nintendi - Both incredibly good but I've always liked the way Axel plays, should be a tough one
BW OU: Jirachee vs Tokyo Tom - Both have had a rough season, but I think Jirachee's been doing better
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome - I hope you win and get that trophy brother Gustavo, thank you so much for everything :)
ADV OU: Ojama vs JabbaTheGriffin - Both adv vets but Ojama's had a stronger showing
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs McMeghan - I'm quite happy to see mcm bounced back from the previous bad season he had, he's doing amazingly and I think he'll take this if he keeps like this, though I think it can go either way
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Zebraiken - Bolding crystal due to him being more experienced and aknowledged in the tier, but who knows.

SM OU: Welli0u vs p2 – If the p in p2 stands for phénomène, then it’s phénomène 1 against phénomène 2. As we saw yesterday number 1 usually gets lucked, and welliou is against a tiger so.
SM OU: Tricking vs Eternal Spirit – Eternal Spirit is tricky to play against, whoever wins CBB will go completely insane in his discord, either because Eternal Spirit « LOST WITH THAT MU HE’S SO BAD OMG » or either because « MAN HE WON BECAUSE HIS PLAYS DIDN’T MAKE SENSE SO COULDN’T ADAPT GNNN »
SM OU: TheThorn vs Steve Angello – Close one, depends on whether Steve's Mega-Metagross gets crit, or gets a crit. In both cases, one of the mons had Agility.
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Mazar – Karma will strike back. Only in 10 weeks though
SM LC: Star vs OP – Star will get some pieces of luck in critical turns (like winning a tie even though it’s just LC), Tigers will complain and he’ll trashtalk them because « he got unlucky all season it’s just payback and Tigers can’t talk about luck LOL »
SM DOU: Biosci vs MajorBowman – MajorBowman will get an early FP and Biosci will get swept by Mega Kangaskhan. Mr.E will proceed to tell CBB he let his player use a team « Literally 6-0’d by Mega Kangaskhan » and we'll get an epic pastebin again.
ORAS OU: Axel10 vs Nintendi - Axel10 vs Nintendi
BW OU: Jirachee vs Tokyo Tom – Jirachee got crit at a crucial time week 1, Tokyo Tom at a crucial time week 9, but tigers have the luck momentum
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome - Tama's Rachi will let him down at the worst time. Philip will bring his own in a para-spam champkiss team and will say sorry in the process because he's nice and didn't want to win like that even though he brought a team dedicated to hax. BKC gets in an argument in the smogtours chat again.
ADV OU: Ojama vs JabbaTheGriffin – Ojama is still pissed about Jabba's BP team from week 8, and you do NOT want to face a pissed off Ojama
GSC OU:Mr.378 vs McMeghan - Mcm will john until Monday 5am his time and the series will already be decided, so regardless of what team won, he won't bother playing
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Zebraiken – Tamahome and Golden Gyarados both use solid teams to train Zeb, and Crystal is gonna use his weird teams with egg lead no lax no chans and Zeb will have no idea how to play against that. Tbh I wouldn't know either.

Last edited:

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
Well now shoutouts:

I'm a bit sad this had to end like this, it really felt like it lasted forever, for real guys, it had been long since I last had fun with mons and I'm extremely grateful for that guys. The team enviroment was incredible, everyone was so willing to contribute and support even with the worst circumstances, which I felt it was what let us advance not only as a team, but a group of friends that were willing to obtain a 16x16 pixels red trophy (XD)

As of me, I think I had an OK season, 4-5 isn't a bad record for someone who's played his first SPL and I'm confident I'll do much better in the future. I had a really rough first half and due to irl circumstances I wasn't even able to prepare well my games which kinda sucked :'( But then the second half after midseason I felt I couldn't disapoint Funkasaurus-Sama anymore and decided to bring my A game, grabbing three wins in a row in a tier I used to hate a lot, which felt really good haha, and I'm pretty happy about performance so far, I think I've played all of my games quite well and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Lastly, I'm not gonna do individual shoutouts, just some special mentions, I think most of you guys know what I think about you <3
Funkasaurus and boudouche : Thank you so much you both for welcoming be on board, this SPL has been such a blast for me and I couldn't ask to have ended up in a better team, you both have done incredibly as managers and that really paid off, ily guys :)

Finchinator and PDC : I think you're the guys I love testing and building with the most (well, even you We Three Kings but smd u bitch) and you've been helping me a lot ever since smogon tour play-offs, and I'm really grateful to have met you guys. Finch, you've been such an amazing teammate and you've put in a lot of work, helping everyone in every tier, I think with that attitude, only good things will come your way ;) and PDC although we haven't teamed up since HPL in 2015, I hope we get to do so, you'd be a incredible teammate I'm sure

Y con esto me despido... I hope I see you all in WCoP ;)

Conni

katharsis
glhf fun to both teams you're both cool af but I'm rooting for tigers, you can do it :heart:

also here's some more predictions.
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome - this match is very close it can go either way.
ADV OU: Ojama vs JabbaTheGriffin ^
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs McMeghan ^

not many individual shoutouts because that takes too long.

Thanks to funk for continuing to buy me despite my poor performances in the past (and current). You're one of the best pals i have on this website.
shoutouts to finch and posho for being enthusiastic in main chat all the time, doesn't matter if people find it annoying because most teams do it anyways.
everyone else: you guys tried harder than any bigs team in previous years. SPLs the only tournament i enjoy because of the cooperation within the team to win. Its a shame we didn't get further but we can be proud of how far we come compared to what people judged us to be. It was very enjoyable to watch chat even if i didn't participate much.

I feel bad because I didn't contribute much this year. I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm towards playing the game so it was hard for me to keep up with current metas. I also just wasn't there mentally the two times I played, and I should've been able to win both games. Hopefully one day I can prove myself to be more than a meme pick to other people and show what I can do at my 100%.

As for what team to win the finals, I could care less. Both teams have cool people on them and I hope for the best possible games. I think I will lean towards Tigres though because everytime bigs are in playoffs we lose to the eventual winner, so it'd be nice to change that for once.

Unshoutouts
Zamrock: fuck you

ORAS OU: Axel10 vs Nintendi -> mucha suerte tío
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Tamahome -> nice game

Last edited:
was never fun playing tour mons for me so I'll just spout shit from the sidelines from now on like 90 % of us here

Predictions in a tier I apparently lack competence in as well: Ubers circlejerk vs Mazar

Note: This gunner kid is apparently not deserving of being recognized as a skilled individual at the game so we have to belittle him with a collective label here

For real though, everyone with any brain capacity is fully aware that Mazar is also very much part of the circlejerk.

Similarly, the tournament community is also gigantic and arguably as bad of a circlejerk.

Just give me a good game to watch, gl to both

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Will be a close series, think scooters need to pretty much sweep the past gens to win. Congrats steve, jake, roro, zebra and more importantly tennisace on making it this far. Proud of you guys. Proud of Cbb and john too for putting together a championship level team once again. Not salty with whoever wins this one just keep it a clean series

anti shoutout to soulgazer for being shit

also sad that my Canadians have to fight each other :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)