Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

I have been wanting to create a Thread-Article discussing the evolution of Smogon, the simulators of Showdown And Pokemon Online (I know, it is disliked now, but we used to be on it), and the pokemon games in general I have seen on the last years. The question is: Where should I put it?

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Question: What do I do if I have various Pokemon that I want to sort into teams? I've made some sets for seven Pokemon and I want to know which ones to put together on teams/how to alter the sets/what Pokemon I can add to each team to complete them, but I'm not sure which forum would be appropriate to place that thread in.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Question: What do I do if I have various Pokemon that I want to sort into teams? I've made some sets for seven Pokemon and I want to know which ones to put together on teams/how to alter the sets/what Pokemon I can add to each team to complete them, but I'm not sure which forum would be appropriate to place that thread in.
This isn't really a suggestion on where you should post on smogon directly, but I would recommend trying out the Battling 101 Discord, or the Competitive Tutoring room on Pokemon Showdown. The Battling 101 Discord because it could be a nice way to get alerted when tutors are available, if you feel that's something that could interest you. The CT room on PS because it's nice for quick advice and feedback that's mostly reliable, but of course, not all advice will be incredibly well thought out.

SkullBandanaInkling

Banned deucer.
What happened to that one thread where someone came up with their own custom pokemon called "Shahdow"? I thought it was hilarious but apparently the mods didn't since it seems to have been removed.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
What happened to that one thread where someone came up with their own custom pokemon called "Shahdow"? I thought it was hilarious but apparently the mods didn't since it seems to have been removed.
i'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you aren't the user shahdow (who has been trolling here recently). (if you are please stop it's dumb)

if you want to find a thread, your best bet is the search bar on the top right. click the magnifying glass and enter either "shahdow" or a passage from the thread that you remember vividly.

keep in mind that it might have been deleted altogether. in that case there's really nothing you can do.

hope that helped

#Suggestion

Right now, no matter what state of metagame ladder has some problems and I don't believe that banning pokemons could change them. Sometimes it is hard to say that some ladder players don't have anything to do in their time other than playing showdown. That's not necessary bad thing. However, what is bad is making team that forces over 100 turn matches. Mainly stall teams, sometimes balance. Well, I don't hate stall per say, but forcing people to make seemingly endless battles or lose points is kinda unfair. Maybe we should make some sort of timer on overall game (like in VGC)? I saw not once people with like ~700 turn battles (even in tournaments), so we should ask ourself a question: do we want to create environment when spending ~1h on PP stalling is rewarded?

Another thing is spamming HO teams. There were countless HO teams that were based on winning 50/50 on first turn and then seting up trick room/webs/rocks and prociding to sweep. They are extremely frustrating to play against because if they win first turn they are likely to win entire game, because unless your team is serious CT it is insanely hard to bring momentum back. I think that changing how match is created could help: First you find your opponent, they you'll see teams that they used in last matches (let's say in four last matches). Just same team overviews, without showing sets. They you choose a team which you want to use in this match. This would allow more aggressive CT popular teams, make niche mons overall more viable and make overall game more skill-based than matchup-based.

There are just proposition, feel free to discuss and criticize. However I thin it is worth underlining that these changes could affect only ladder, leaving tournaments side of game untouched. Timer cold be turned off on tournamets making stall viable and tournamet players already are doing their research before fighting opponent (at least they should to do so).

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
#Suggestion

Right now, no matter what state of metagame ladder has some problems and I don't believe that banning pokemons could change them. Sometimes it is hard to say that some ladder players don't have anything to do in their time other than playing showdown. That's not necessary bad thing. However, what is bad is making team that forces over 100 turn matches. Mainly stall teams, sometimes balance. Well, I don't hate stall per say, but forcing people to make seemingly endless battles or lose points is kinda unfair. Maybe we should make some sort of timer on overall game (like in VGC)? I saw not once people with like ~700 turn battles (even in tournaments), so we should ask ourself a question: do we want to create environment when spending ~1h on PP stalling is rewarded?

Another thing is spamming HO teams. There were countless HO teams that were based on winning 50/50 on first turn and then seting up trick room/webs/rocks and prociding to sweep. They are extremely frustrating to play against because if they win first turn they are likely to win entire game, because unless your team is serious CT it is insanely hard to bring momentum back. I think that changing how match is created could help: First you find your opponent, they you'll see teams that they used in last matches (let's say in four last matches). Just same team overviews, without showing sets. They you choose a team which you want to use in this match. This would allow more aggressive CT popular teams, make niche mons overall more viable and make overall game more skill-based than matchup-based.

There are just proposition, feel free to discuss and criticize. However I thin it is worth underlining that these changes could affect only ladder, leaving tournaments side of game untouched. Timer cold be turned off on tournamets making stall viable and tournamet players already are doing their research before fighting opponent (at least they should to do so).
I like the first suggestion but not the second: if need to test a team using several times, the overview will show only one team, allowing the opponent to pick one adequate counter.
But more simply, Showdown replies a match exactly how it should happen in the catridge, so it will never happen

I lost info to my showdown account. The name is 4 L's 66 gxe. Is there any possible way I can get it back? I dont want to have to start another alt. How can I provide proof that it's mine and get it back?

Since a large portion of the PU tier last gen was unviable even in PU and that issue is likely to get worse this gen, what are the odds of a new tier below PU getting created sometime this gen?

Since a large portion of the PU tier last gen was unviable even in PU and that issue is likely to get worse this gen, what are the odds of a new tier below PU getting created sometime this gen?
Next to none. ZU or FU or whatever exists very unofficially, but since we have so many tiers, as far as I know the plan is to add no more metas. Also the player base and leadership isn't really there, making it a lot harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)