move 4: Glare / Substitute
item: Normalium Z
ability: Contrary
nature: Timid
evs: 240 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB attack that boosts Snivy's Special Attack by 2 stages each time it is used thanks to Contrary. Wring Out has great neutral coverage with Leaf Storm and can be turned into a 190 Base Power Z-Move, OHKOing common Snivy checks such as Foongus after a Special Attack boost from Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Ground hits Steel-types such as Pawniard, which otherwise wall this set completely, as well as Fire- and Poison-types such as Ponyta and Croagunk while allowing Snivy to reach 17 Speed. Hidden Power Fire can also be used, OHKOing Ferroseed and 2HKOing Pumpkaboo-XL at +2, but it only allows Snivy to reach 16 Speed. Glare paralyzes common Snivy switch-ins such as Ponyta while Substitute eases prediction and punishes forced switches.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with a Timid nature maximizes Snivy's offensive stats and takes the IV drops from Hidden Power Ground into account. If using Hidden Power Fire, use an EV spread of 76 HP / 240 SpA / 176 Spe. Contrary has fantastic synergy with Leaf Storm, boosting Snivy's Special Attack by 2 stages each time the move is used. Normalium Z turns Wring Out into an extremely powerful Breakneck Blitz, allowing Snivy to muscle past Pokemon that would otherwise wall it such as Foongus, Vullaby, and Grimer-Alola.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike other Snivy sets, Z-Wring Out Snivy is very frail; it should only be used once it can successfully sweep or to wallbreak. Bring Snivy into play against Pokemon it forces out, such as Chinchou. Use Leaf Storm as your opponent switches in a Snivy counter such as Foongus, then use Z-Wring Out to eliminate that counter. This set functions best as a lure, so don't reveal Wring Out until it can be used to eliminate a counter. In addition to serving as a lure, this Snivy set can also clean late-game like other Snivy sets. Use Glare or Substitute on a predicted switch to either cripple a check or to get off an attack for free, respectively. Finally, faster Pokemon such as Gastly and Doduo as well as any Choice Scarf users should be paralyzed or KOd before attempting a sweep.

Team Options
========

Slow pivots such as Mienfoo allow Snivy to get into battle safely. Trappers such as Diglett and Grimer-Alola can remove faster threats such as Ponyta, Abra, and Gastly. Rock-types such as Onix can set Stealth Rock and remove Doduo and Choice Scarf Flying-types. Offensive threats such as Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Abra that appreciate Pokemon such as Foongus, Vullaby, and Grimer-Alola being lured and eliminated make excellent teammates. If not running Hidden Power Fire, Fighting- or Fire-types such as Timburr and Ponyta should be used to eliminate or sufficiently weaken Ferroseed. Finally, other checks to Sticky Web teams such as Gastly should be used, as this set's frailty, along with the fact that it is walled by Pumpkaboo-XL, makes it a poor choice for the sole answer for Sticky Web teams.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
- Specify how it reaches +2 in the wring out point
- Say it has great neutral coverage alongside leaf storm since normal type alone is pretty bad neutral coverage
- Emphasize that Steel types are among the only things that take moves 1 and 2, so the HP you run needs to hit them

Usage Tips
========
- Talk about using leaf storm as an opponent switches in to give u the +2 for zwo
- Mention the obvious: dont reveal zwo before you have to
- this snivy is generally a lure, but you should mention that it can also clean slow teams late game

Team Options
========
- You should have some stuff that appreciates foongus gone (waters), vull and grimes gone (gast/abra), and whatever else this set lures

Hoping you buff this all up in write-up, but u are analysis god so I'm sure itll happen.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
i'm not 100% sold on hp fire being fully honest. 16 speed kinda blows, and the coverage you gain over hp ground isn't much; it is pretty much ferroseed and pumpkaboo? i would leave it as a mention but remove it as a slash since ferro you murder w/ fire but pumpka still doesn't care much.

Set Details
========
i think you should name like 3 mons that you want to z-wring out.

Usage Tips
========
mention when to glare and when to sub, kinda lacking.

Team Options
========
seems okay. i would mention broadly that snivy finds itself as a pkmon which is used to counter webs teams, and this set fails to win like other sets can since no recovery leaves it weak to prio and it is walled by the most common spinblocker on the team in pumpka unless it has hp fire. as such, it appreciates being on teams that have okay matchup vs webs without snivy anyway. i would mostly mention this in like 2 sentences:

Typically Snivy finds major usage as a counter to Sticky Webs teams, however due to the frailty of Snivy without an Eviolite and its unfortunate inability to hit Pumpkaboo without Hidden Power Fire, this particular Snivy set is a risky countermeasure. Due to this, Snivy generally appreciates being paired with other troublesome Pokemon for opposing Sticky Webs teams such as Pawniard, who can help weaken teams with boosted Knock Off, and Gastly, who shares several checks with Snivy which are KOed by Wring Out. [start talking about other offensive mons here.] [talk about diglett/grimer-a here probably, etc]

this basically takes some of your other bullets points and starts it off decently. grammar is probably bad (sorry gp!)

2/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I... am pretty sure you quit but I'll check ig?

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Since even Leaf Strom + Breakneck Blitz cannot KO Evio Foongus w/o rocks, and only has about chance to OHKO after rocks, I'd specify it's Knocked Foongus, or give a different example like Croagunk.
Team Options
========
  • Similar to how you mention that this set has to be paired with other Webs answers, mention that this Snivy cannot function as the major Ground check for a team, as Snivy often does, due to its frailty, so it should be paired with others like Vullaby.
  • Mention that Diglett can also remove some Steel-types like Pawniard and Magnemite, which is nice for Z-Snivy.
QC 3/3, move to GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)