Speedrunning

tetris block was great, just like AGDQ. ori and the blind forest was also fantastic - absolutely beautiful platformer, charismatic runner and couch, and great commentary from devs with a cute easter egg at the end. roundabout was also very entertaining, but isn't for everyone as it's a goofy game and a lot of the banter between the runner and the devs came off as "lolsorandom" to some people

I've also heard that wheel of time was good, although I didn't watch it. dustforce and boshy were also solid runs. super mario bros the lost levels had a fantastic runner, apparently

I think my favorite run of the marathon was ori and the blind forest, but there was a ton of stuff I didn't watch either

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
caught a lot of SGDQ since I have the week off work and shit

The end of the marathon was actually pretty disappointing. Aside the fact that CT was neither "100%" (by most people's definitions) nor "co-op" (it was just a relay), the Super Metroid race died really early when Oats got Phantoon'd and zoast was way ahead of the other two... although zoast's run itself was fucking beast he was borderline WR pace up until he barely missed the metroid skip. Good run, bad race. LttP run and SM64 race leading up were both great, though.

Shovel Knight, yo.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Never watched a TTYD run before, but it sounds interesting.

How hard is the skip to pull off? How much time does it save?

Never watched a TTYD run before, but it sounds interesting.

How hard is the skip to pull off? How much time does it save?
I'll copy-paste an explanation I wrote on Reddit, with some minor modifications:

Malleo is a well known TASer in the Paper Mario community, and is part of the team responsible for breakthroughs in TTYD speedrunning, including important glitches like Ultra Hammer Early and Teleporter Room early, both of which have contributed heavily to shaving down the RTA any% record from 5 hours to around 4:15 over the course of the last year. Malleo explains how to do Palace Skip here, and also explained the significance of Palace Skip in this video from a few months back.

Palace Skip is a sequence break that has been theorized since... basically the beginning of TTYD speedrunning. It skips a significant portion of the game and also makes other items skippable. It's done in Chapter 8 before the Gloomtail room, and involves clipping through the back wall and hitting the loading zone of the final key room - this directly skips the Riddle Tower and most of Chapter 8, which are areas at the end of the game, and *also* eliminates the need to get the Ultra Boots as well as Boat Mode, meaning Chapters 4, 5, and 6 are all unnecessary. Overall this cuts anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours from the run, which is currently a little over 4 hours long at the moment - so finding Palace Skip is a massive breakthrough.

As for the execution, it seems he's using two recently discovered glitches: Double Text Storage and Yoshi Teleporting. Essentially, Text Storage lets him keep a text box open as he enters battle with an Ember in the room. The text box allows for Yoshi Teleporting to happen, which lets him clip below the room, land on a spring at the bottom, and ultimately end up on the seam of the room. By storing *two* text boxes, he can Yoshi Teleport again once in the horizontal middle of the room and then hover a little to get first strike on the Ember. After running from this battle he performs Double Jump, which... somehow lets him land on the loading zone in the center of the room. I don't really get how this part works, but I don't think anyone does at this point. This lets him access the final key room, and the skip is done.

Here's the problem: this current strategy isn't RTA viable whatsoever. The room contains two Embers and we need one of them to drop an item, which is RNG, though there is a save block right outside so we can repeat this as much as we want. Both text-storages require frame-perfect inputs, but there isn't a huge penalty for failing these. There's a fight he needs to get into by using Koops when he's all the way on the left side of the room to set up the first Yoshi Teleport, but he can't see where Koops or the Ember are while he's over there, so it's total luck whether he manages to release Koops at the correct position. Finally, if he manages to get onto the seam of the room, he still has to manipulate the Ember into the correct position, Yoshi Teleport "under" it, hover to get first strike on it, run from the encounter, then perform Double Jump (another frame-perfect input) immediately after escaping.

At the moment it's arguably possible to do RTA but it's probably not worth attempting. Still, just knowing how to execute Palace Skip is extremely promising for future RTA runs.

TL;DR - it is currently nigh-impossible for a human to pull off, but an RTA-viable version of Palace Skip would cut the run's time almost by half

Bumping: Here's the official video release by malleo explaining palace skip and its implications

It's TAS-only for the reasons I mentioned above (and other reasons as well). The current TAS route will aim to finish the game with normal boots and the normal hammer, which also means that the ~hour or so of ticking in the background from a skip done in chapter 2 will no longer happen. The old TAS route is just shy of three and a half hours - Malleo is quite certain that the new TAS route will be well under 2 hours.

Unrelated to TTYD, but the SGDQ 2016 games list is out. I'm looking forward to the Crypt of the Necrodancer race, Demon's Souls (never seen this before), Pokemon Red any% Glitchless race, Super Mario Sunshine, the Tetris block, and the Super Mario Maker blind race.

Last edited:
It's really sort of an arbitrary category (as are all glitchless runs) but I believe Red/Blue glitchless runs are more or less "don't do anything that clearly wasn't intended to be possible by the developers", with like one exception in using the Poke Doll to skip the Marowak fight in Lavender Tower - so that stops glitches like trainer fly and similar stuff.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sucks that all of the Kingdom Hearts runs were declined, because those are always fun to watch. Data Org RTA in particular is an insane arbitrary category just because of how difficult it is; it involves fighting 13 (technically 14) of II Final Mix's hardest superbosses at level 1, so one mistake usualy means death.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
also if you guys haven't seen the tower of the gods unloading glitch in tww its pretty cool, too bad it takes forever to set up. I think someone might actually get that bounty on the barrier skip before it expires o.o

I just love to see speedruns of my favorite games. I especially like any % runs, since I get to see just how broken some games are/can be. I've never tried to speed run a game, since I suck at that kind of stuff, but if I ever had to try to speed run a game, I guess it would be Mario Kart or something, since that's the only game I'm good enough at that it's feasible for me to speed run it. Also, super hyped for SGDQ on the 3rd :^)

SGDQ started today! Bounceyboy's Super Mario Sunshine run was fantastic and had some great commentary. I haven't been able to see much else but I heard that the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze race was great, too.

SGDQ started today! Bounceyboy's Super Mario Sunshine run was fantastic and had some great commentary. I haven't been able to see much else but I heard that the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze race was great, too.
I wasn't able to catch the S.M.S speed-run, but I got to see the Metroid Prime speed run and Catherine speed run, both were great. Hyped for the Mega Man block today

Not GDQ-related but I wanted to let people know that there's a new Dark Souls All Bosses route that combines the old BKGS strategy with the current Crapplemage route (Kahmul is calling it "Swordlemage")

Here's the VOD:

There's RNG for getting the actual BKGS drop early on but the rest of the run is way more consistent than Crapplemage was. He kills Asylum and Taurus Demon, uses the BKGS through O&S, Seath, Sif, and all of the DLC, with the exception of the Moonlight Butterfly which is killed with magic. After the DLC he swaps to a pure magic build and Dark Bead cleans up the rest of the bosses. Most notably this leads to a faster and more consistent Quelaag and O&S. This is a 20 second timesave over his old WR, which was pure mage.

thought i'd post the /srg/ sgdq tier list for future use by me.

Official SGDQ 2016 Tier List:

>Old GDQ Tier
Jak and Daxter

>Top Tier
Deus Ex: Blitzkrieg Edition
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Sonic '06
Star Wars: Jedi Academy
Gimmick!

>High Tier
Super Mario World (Small Mario run)
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (One-Handed)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Race)
Catherine
Dude's Crest
Hagane
Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded Disaster)
Typing of the Dead
Aladdin
Actraiser
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Daggerfall, and Skyrim
Curse of Issyos
Pepsimeme

>Mid. Tier
Sonic Adventure 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Donkey Kong Country 3
Max Payne 2
Dustforce
Trip World
Super Mario RPG
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Co-op)
Fallout 3: Anniversary Edition
Tetris Block (Excluding Setup)

>Low Tier
Resident Let's-a-go 2
Ocarina of Time "Glitchless"
Literally everything else

>Ty the Tasmanian Trainwreck Tier
Pikmin (Went 5:00 over estimate, 25:00 over PB)
Trials Fusion (1:30:00 of Happy Wheels level showcases. Hi YouTube!)
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (Local Autist Ruins Everything: The Run)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)