Splatoon

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Nintendo's new hype as fuck ink shooter. The primary game mode is Turf War - a 4v4 multiplayer mode where the objective is to cover as much ground as possible with your color of ink.

There are three classes of weapons:
Shooter - rapid fire, mid range
Charger - charge shots, long range
Roller - ink splash or ink roller, short range on splash

There are also secondary/special weapons that are like bombs and SUPER GUNS and stuff but you'll mostly be using your main weapon to cover the field in ink.

I'm hype as fuck about this game now, having played one of the Global Testfire demo hours. This game is amazing.

Discuss. (TGL mods I can add more info if you bug me about it, it's late)

I'm hyped for the 'Rainmaker' mode they teased in the Direct, which sounds like it could be a Golden Gun equivalent. Also rollers are pretty good or something idk

I'm surprised so many people are hyped for this and found the demo fun. I wasn't able to play the demo today because i was busy, but from what i've seen, it seems to me like this will be nothing more than a generic shooter with some gimmicks. Due to nintendo's terrible online connection, it seems impossible to find a match where everything runs smoothly and to add insult to injury, a critical feature in shooters, voice chat, is missing, making matches that are actually competitive nearly impossible to play.

I'm going to give this game a shot tomorrow to see whether its worth my time or not. Hopefully I'm mistaken about my previous concerns.

EDIT: Played the game and it was fun as hell. Matchmaking seems to be a huge issue though.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Game is crazy fun right now, the paint covering mechanic is genius and the flow of movement and shooting is incredibly fun. The splattershot weapon right now is my go to default, the default sniper was just bad and the roller was okay for covering but really only good for ambushing in combat. I hope the weapon variations will be able to fix this problem. After playing TF2 for so long though I have to say having one bad player really drags you down a lot, I'm not even sure how it's possible to get 0 points when it appears you get them for covering the floor with paint. Also there is something to be said for bad players who just keep following one player, spreading out early to lay down paint is a huge part of the game, crowding around too much rarely benefits especially when you can superjump to any player when necessary.

Cannot wait to play more.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The hour I got to play was definitely humorous and fun, though I'm on the wagon that Rollers are OP.

...Anyways, I'm tempted to buy it, but a backlog is holding me back.

This game looks amazing! Yesterday, I made sure to pre-order it. I'm rarely this hyped up for a game. I even made sure to watch the 30 minute video about it on the eShop. Missed out on the demo, though, which is sorely disappointing.
(I also picked up a 4-pack of Red Bull and found a Waluigi figurine for sale, talk about a great day!)

My sister and I played the demo on Friday. I had a lot of fun with it. My sister felt it was very much akin to TF2 and wasn't sure she wanted to drop money on it. The maps have some interesting depth to them; I found the little sections that were hard to get to in wall eye warehourse were really important targets since you can cover so much of the area with ink and its hard for the other team to contest it. Finding high points in the ocean rig level were cool too. Looking forward to it and probably going to preorder it in just a bit, actually.

I played two of the three hours of the demo, i'm extremely hyped for this game. Roller OP, and I have proof. Every match I played when there was a team of only rollers, that team won, or maybe the roller was just OP given the limited 4 weapon selection we had in the demo, who really knows?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
hype af for this, if the avatar didn't give it away. n_n curious how it does when nintendo actually pays attention to the competitive community

i hope this game will have engaging singleplayer/bots or something cause my internet is trash at home :( otherwise real excited for this, especially since i don't even have a machine that can play tf2 anymore... maybe I can convince my friends to pick this up.

Is local multiplayer possible or no?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
i hope this game will have engaging singleplayer/bots or something cause my internet is trash at home :( otherwise real excited for this, especially since i don't even have a machine that can play tf2 anymore... maybe I can convince my friends to pick this up.

Is local multiplayer possible or no?
They mentioned that they have like a splitscreen using the wii u pad and the tv screen

this game is pretty fun.... rollers definitely seem like the surest way to cover turf though, i think 2 is a necessity in the demo... not really a fan of rollers in combat either, it boils down to which roller is rolling and if you both charge at eachother you'll pretty much always both die... player vs player damage needs some fine tuning or something imo. as it is i feel like non-rollers are only necessary to ink up walls that the rollers can't climb otherwise which i feel is just an unfun setback.... i'd like to see all the weapons balanced in a better way somehow

also i played someone named "byakuchiki" and i am a fan

Man.... the 4th and final demo period was disappointing. Because EVERYONE who played the ANY of the other demos wanted to get on, the server flat out crashed. Now there's people who aren't even gonna by the game because ONE of four demos crashed... that's just sad. Also when the final game's out, not everyone will be trying to get on at the same time, so I doubt it'll be a problem.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Man.... the 4th and final demo period was disappointing. Because EVERYONE who played the ANY of the other demos wanted to get on, the server flat out crashed. Now there's people who aren't even gonna by the game because ONE of four demos crashed... that's just sad. Also when the final game's out, not everyone will be trying to get on at the same time, so I doubt it'll be a problem.
I mean they addressed the connection issues and opened the testfire for an extra hour, so I guess that shows they're willing to fix problems

Arcticblast

okay so the single player is actually pretty rad. Each level consists of several small parts with a super jump in between, so you're essentially fighting the Octarians in waves but with a different strategy every time. Also nice practice for single player (like using squid form as a "stealth mode" rather than just a "fast mode")

.92 Gal is the most rad gun with the only downside of using ink really fast. Thank goodness gear can help alleviate that one flaw.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Very excited to get this game--from what I've seen, the Supers, Kraken especially, are going to be fun as hell to use :)

Also yeah, thinking about balancing of weapons: People have been complaining about Charger weapons, are any of the variations any good?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
They're kinda trash in turf wars, brightobject, since they just don't put out enough ink. As far as how they'll do in a death match though, they could be decent, but the skill cap is going to be pretty high. Not only do you have to have on-point aim against enemies that are sometimes hard to see, you also have to be able to zone them perfectly; it's not like most FPS games where you can just swap to a secondary if they get too close.
Favorite gun so far is Splattershot Jr. btw, but Aerospray MG and .92 Gal, as well as the rollers, are all pretty fantastic guns. Looking forward to getting Splattershot Pro also, it seems pretty solid from when I've faced it online.

I'm probably going to buy this game at a discounted price when more maps are released. The number of maps available currently is just laughable and playing on the same maps over and over again will most likely get tiring after a while. Hopefully Nintendo will release these maps soon.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nintendo first party games don't lower in price for years, unless there is a sale somewhere. So good luck with that.

I wouldn't be surprised right now if there were more stages right on the disc, so far of the "new content" I haven't seen a firmware update to activate it. It's probably just a matter of Nintendo not wanting players to rush through the game so quickly then off it. After the weekend ranked mode activated and Zapper weapon was released. I'm sure every week we'll get a little something. I finally got to level 10 and unlocked ranked, and it's a blast. Although you can either get a ton of points or next to none. I haven't moved from the Splattershot Jr default weapon so I guess that says something. If anything just try and get gear with multiple abilities ASAP. Since that is what is going to help you win. Right now all my gear has 3, and the hunt for some 4 gear begins. I just have to get some orders in each day and hope the shops are good to me.

Here is hoping next update passes some of the new maps and perhaps a weapon or two. I'll expect at least one update in a month to raise the level cap along with a few alt weapons.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh man, this game is fun. It's a great thing when the game lives up to my expectations and this is probably the first one to have done it in a while. Right now I'm using the Krak-On Roller with Ninja Squid, Movement Up, and Ink Resistance along with other assorted random abilities and it's OP as hell.

My weapon of choice is Aerospray RG (the gold one) and one of my gear pieces has the ninja squid ability, making camping the other team's spawn in ranked easy (unless they super jump, but meh). And if they do manage to take the point, this set's special is the Inkstrike, so no real problem there.

Currently i'm level 16 and rank C, and I'm loving this game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)