SV DOU Stamina Mudsdale (Need Advice)

Team Link: https://pokepast.es/1513cd5368be00d6

I'm new to smogon and have been playing Pokémon since Gen 6 and only recently have I started to get into playing competitively. The main strat this team was based around is the combination of Pop Bomb Maushold + Stamina Mudsdale. I made this team following VGC rules but have been playing in DOU format (don't question it I don't know why either), which is why I don't have any of the four legendaries or paradox mons. I'm sure having them on my team could help a lot. Playing around with this team over the past few weeks has gotten me to max 1472 on Showdown, I keep hovering around 1450. I haven't been losing to any specific mon or strat consistently, though I'm sure some people can point out a few weaknesses I've overlooked. Thanks in advance for all the advice!

:sv/mudsdale:

Dusty (Mudsdale) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Tera Blast

Stamina is a really cool ability and works really well when paired with Body Press, especially when used by a mon that already has a high defense stat like Mudsdale. I chose these EV's to give it as much bulk as possible and added Assault Vest to increase his special defense. His role is simply to stay on the field as long as possible and body press everything. I send him out with Maushold to population bomb myself and get Mudsdale to +6 defense. Body press then does a lot of damage to pretty much everything. EQ for high damage stab and hitting both opponents of course. I originally had stone edge but went with terablast for coverage and heavy slam because I kept missing. I chose tera fire to get rid of my grass/ice weakness and resist energy ball from Armarouge and grass tera Iron Moth. Tera steel is another good option for added defense and STAB heavy slam. Either works.

:sv/maushold:

Jerry (Maushold-Four) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Friend Guard
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Population Bomb
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me

Instead of using Maushold as an attacker with a threatening population bomb, I decided to use a support set taking inspiration from an Aaron Zheng (CybertronVGC) video I saw. I population bomb into my own Mudsdale for the stamina boost. Without any investment into attack it only does about 12% to Mudsdale. Super Fang just to easily chip down everything and population bomb is still there if I really need a kill. Helping hand and follow me for support are self explanatory. Ghost types like Fluter Mane and Gholdgeno obviously hard counter this Maushold but it hasn't been a problem and I'm not really worried about them. Wide Lens is there to make sure population bomb hits enough to setup Mudsdale though it isn't really needed and could be replaced with sash or another item.

:sv/murkrow:

Magikoopa (Murkrow) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Haze
- Foul Play
- Tailwind

This is a pretty standard Murkrow set. Haze, tailwind, and taunt are all amazing support moves and is just too good when matched with prankster. Only thing I don't like about this is that sometimes after a tailwind, taunt and haze may not be needed and I kinda get stuck just clicking foul play if it's not safe for a switch. I hate this mon so much solely because it's so good this gen, is used everywhere, and is almost necessary to counter tatsugiri/dondozo, but "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

:sv/kilowattrel:

Fake Zapdos (Kilowattrel) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Tailwind
- Air Slash
- Protect

In my first playthrough I wasn't a huge fan of Kilowattrel, but after seeing it on a few comp teams I've grown more fond of it. It's very frail which is why I put focus sash on it, but it's speed and sp. atk make up for it. I often found opponents hard focusing on killing Murkrow which is why I like having a second tailwind user on the team. Air slash and thunderbolt are my two stab moves. You could also use discharge for damage on both foes and it works well when sent out with Mudsdale. I went for competitive over wind power for the boost when icy wind is used and intimidators try to switch in on Dragonite or Mudsdale.

:sv/dragonite:

Noodles (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Spinner
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch

Dragonite is the physical attacker of this team. Normal tera + choice band extreme speed hits very hard. Iron Head, Thunder Punch, and Ice Spinner are good coverage moves. Ice Spinner is especially good against other threatening dragon types and has the added effect of getting rid of terrain which is good against mons like Indeedee and Armarouge that like to take advantage of psychic terrain. Most opponents assume I have multiscale and go or intimidate which is where inner focus come in handy. There have been plenty of situations where I would've liked to have multiscale too so either one works.

:sv/gholdengo:

JVKE (Gholdengo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 124 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Steel Beam

Gholdengo is the last powerhouse of this team, choice specs make it rain does so much damage. Benefits from tailwind and pairs really well with Murkrow being able to haze away the sp atk stat drops. I'm gonna be 100% honest and say I got this set from a CybertronVGC video so I have no clue what these EV's are specifically built for, but it works. Shadow Ball and Psyshock are good coverage moves that come in handy every once in a while especially shadow ball to kill opposing Gholdengo, but 99% of the time I'm spamming make it rain. Steel Beam is there in case I need to do a ton of damage and get a kill on a specific mon if I'm already expecting to get KO'd, but in all the games during my climb from 1000 to 1472 I haven't used it once. I could and probably should put thunderbolt on it instead but I haven't run into a situation where I've really needed that either.

I really love this team, it's my favorite that I've ever created and would like to see how high I can really climb. Let me know what I could do to get over that hump to 1500, I know a big thing is utilizing the paradox/legendary mons since I'm in DOU. I do however want to try in VGC format too and will make a post on how I do. Thanks!

Fire coverage is pretty valuable, maybe put fire punch over thunder punch on DNite? Then t-bolt on Gholdengo. Alternatively maybe Dazzling gleam Gholdengo? I'm not crazy about steel beam on it at all.

Is dual tailwind users ok? Also you may want more than one protect user, though idk as I stay in singles.

You look strong vs Amoongus, I agree steel on mudsdale is an option. What 4th move if you go that way? I like that it then resists pop bomb.

Fire coverage is pretty valuable, maybe put fire punch over thunder punch on DNite? Then t-bolt on Gholdengo. Alternatively maybe Dazzling gleam Gholdengo? I'm not crazy about steel beam on it at all.

Is dual tailwind users ok? Also you may want more than one protect user, though idk as I stay in singles.

You look strong vs Amoongus, I agree steel on mudsdale is an option. What 4th move if you go that way? I like that it then resists pop bomb.
Good call on the fire punch DNite and t-bolt, also not a fan of steel beam. I love having dual tailwind users, especially since Kilowattrel is so frail it might not live long enough to set it up later in battle. I'm also transitioning to actual VGC so I can bring either one into battle and still have tailwind. You're right having only one protect user hurts sometimes but I don't mind not having it for the moves I use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)